Thread: What other games do you like to play besides pinball?

Default What other games do you like to play besides pinball?

We are all pinball fans here and it's obvious that we all own at least one console or hand held. With that said, what other games do you like to play besides pinball?

For me, I'm a big fan of fighting games. Blazblue is my favorite fighting game series (reminds me of Killer Instinct), but I also enjoy playing the Soul Calibur, Tekken, Street Fighter, King of Fighters and Mortal Kombat series.

I also enjoy playing Platformers, Action/Adventure games, JRPGs, Arcade Racers, Indy and Retro games.
    Last edited by shogun00; 03-30-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Updated my list!

I have to honestly say that I never liked Fighting Games much. Too much memorizing of moves and combos, for every character...

What I do love though, on the "classic arcade" side of the gaming spectrum, are SHMUPS. Jamestown is a great new one, Ikaruga is probably my favorite, and I've played Gradius V to death.

Can't wait for PixelJunk Side-Scroller right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ulix View Post
    I have to honestly say that I never liked Fighting Games much. Too much memorizing of moves and combos, for every character...
    Go after Blazblue: Continuum Shift or Marvel vs Capcom 3 then. The game companies are starting to incorporate a feature called "simple controls" into their fighting games. This makes it easy to executes moves and combos with just a press of single button.
    Last edited by shogun00; 03-30-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    Go after Blazblue: Continuum Shift or Marvel vs Capcom 3 then. The game companies are starting to incorporate a feature called "simple controls" into their fighting games. This makes it easy to executes moves and combos with just a press of single button.
    A bad revolution for the fighting games in my opinion. Instead of tactical fighting, the chance of a victory by buttonbashing is too high (thank god Marvell vs Capcom has both modes).

Gradius V is on the other hand all about memorization (hours of memorization even

What I like to play are early / mid-ninetees arcade games. And some great remakes of Outrun (XBOX360) and Afterburner (XBOX360) Lets say, score-em-up and timetrial games are my kind of thing.
    Last edited by Boulderdash; 09-26-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderdash View Post
    A bad revolution for the fighting games in my opinion. Instead of tactical fighting, the chance of a victory by buttonbashing is too high (thank god Marvell vs Capcom has both modes).
    Blazblue also has both modes.

It's just an optional feature and it's always going to stay that way. The mode is only designed to get the casual audience into fighting games. You can't use the mode on ranked matches and it can be turned off on online player matches. I don't see what the problem is.
    Last edited by shogun00; 03-30-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Blazblue also has both modes.

It's just an optional feature and it's always going to stay that way. The mode is only designed to get the casual audience into fighting games. You can't use the mode on ranked matches and it can be turned off on online player matches. I don't see what the problem is.
    In that case there is no problem

I also play racing games (forza), shooters (battlefield), western RPGs and the NHL games. I also play some retro games, like pac-man, dig dug, etc

Quote Originally Posted by ulix View Post
    and I've played Gradius V to death.
    what system do you have Gradius V on please ? , i have one of the Gradius games "can't remember which one" on the Wii but i simply can't control it using the wii remote D pad.

Personally I like Puzzle Games. Portal 2 and the Tomb Raider series help to fuel that end of my interest. Myst was awesome when I first played it and other people I knew kept complaining about how annoying that game was. I just like solving puzzles and finding things most people would miss in RPGs. The Pinball Tables in FX2 also fuel that interest, since you have to figure out how to advance the story of the table. Other than that for me it's games like Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed.

I love the STG (shmup) genre and platformers; they are my two favorite genres.

The Xbox 360 has been an awesome console for me since Cave has heavily supported it. There are other great STGs for the console, such as Raiden Fighters Aces and Strania. For platformers, I'm strictly a fan of 2D platformers as multiple companies have done great 2D games for the genre; I feel only Nintendo knows how to make great 3D platformers, though I did like all three PS1 Crash Bandicoot games.

Video Pinball isn't my most favorite genre, but I think it will be a strong third-favorite once The Pinball Arcade releases.

Default re

My all time favorite is Mario.

I like to play the most Super Mario and the Asphalt 5 and this game is are my favorite and every one can enjoy these games,because these games develop the taste of every person.

Monster Hunter is by far my favorite series. I'm in the midst of Monster Hunter 3G right now.

Other non-Zen favorites from this year include - Idol Master 2, Kinect Disneyland, Medieval Moves, Grand Prix Story, and Dead Island.

I've been gaming obsessively since about 1976. This year I finally reached a boredom meltdown point with a lot of genres I've traditionally embraced. I literally freaked out during a game of Battlefield 3, closed it, and uninstalled half the games on my drive. The next day I culled the endless repetition of my library and decided to finally learn pinball, which I've been categorically ignoring my whole life. I'm devoting the next year to pinball, monster hunting, and those rare games that don't remind me of things I've played a million times before.

latetly i haven't been playing nothing other than marvel pinball , fed up of cod , played a lot of that ... no more trophies hunting either now i only play games that are fun. there a lot of games i play ...

Besides the Pinball i like to play the Super Mario although this game is old but this is a very good game.I will say that old is gold.

we all own at least an Xbox 360 or PS3.
    but i don't have one of them...

lately, besides Zen Pinball3D, Mario Kart 7, VVVVVV and Pushmo(or Pullblox if you are in the EU) (3DS games, if you were wondering)

so, mostly puzzles :P.

Quote Originally Posted by seaking177 View Post
    but i don't have one of them...
    When I made this post, Zen was only supporting the PS3 and Xbox 360 at the time.

Edit: I edited the main post accordingly.
    Last edited by shogun00; 01-22-2012 at 01:34 AM.

When I made this post, Zen was only supporting the PS3 and Xbox 360 at the time.
    i already guessed that much :P.

oh! i forgot to add, a good game called "Nox" is another game i have been playing lately.

took a break from marvel pinball to play killzone 2 , trying to get top 1% of the week trophy and missed ghost rider tournament

super mario!

Besides Pinball, I like Pachinko, and Pashislot.

I do enjoy fighting games as well but goes up and down alot, loved street fighter since my SNES days so obviosly i'm playing SFIV and SSFIVae from time to time. Other than that i really like those (no idea what you call them) Darksiders, Dante's Inferno and games like that. Had fun with WET and about to start playing Bayonetta as well. Haven't owned a Xbox for very long so my list isn't very long yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkimono View Post
    Other than that i really like those (no idea what you call them) Darksiders, Dante's Inferno and games like that. Had fun with WET and about to start playing Bayonetta as well.
    Those are your typical Action/Adventure games.

Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar

Well Im a big fan of the old skool so Fighting Games & SHMUPs etc. are my interests mostly. Saying that I do play games like Fifa 12 etc. Il play anything if its good and interests me.

For fighting games the king for me is Street Fighter, Capcom just gets it right for me. I have near all of the Capcom Fighting Games. I also love Mortal Kombat and the new one just blew me away. Recently I got Soul Calibur 5 and next month im looking at getting Street Fighter X Tekken.

I also have a Street Fighter IV Round 1 Tournament Edition FightStick and 3 Street Fighter IV FightPads. Along with Street Fighter Animes etc. so you can't say im not a fan of the genre.

As for SHMUPs I got Deathsmiles, Raiden Fighters Aces, Raiden IV, Galaga, Space Invaders Extreme, Gyruss & many more.

I love Action/Adventure so Darksiders, Prototype, Castlevania.

- Official Table Guides

Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    PSN = SPIDER-STEVE88
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

Yes getting Street Fighter X Tekken for sure, also looking forward to Skullgirls. Capcom usually catch my eye as well but haven't fallen for as many titles in the end as i thought I would when I first saw them. Sitting on the Round 2 T.E. stick as I got into console gaming this late (tho glad I did I think it looks better)

Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar

Yeh having a Fightstick is awesome, looks nice on display as well.

- Official Table Guides

Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    PSN = SPIDER-STEVE88
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

I like mmorpg best ,such as Age of Wushu
    Silkroad R
    100 Years War
    Dragona Online and
    Archlord X
    Last edited by Lavinia; 03-20-2012 at 10:25 AM.

i got Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D for the 3DS, and DAMN...thats a good game, i like it!

Besides pinball i also like playing a bunch of other games that i download regularly on my tablet

I like puzzle games, racing games and recently i am so hooked on an app called Draw Something, its fun cause you get to play with other users as well. I like games that there are sort of interactions with other users, in that way there is always something new, keep me from getting bored.

Quote Originally Posted by natalieb View Post
    Besides pinball i also like playing a bunch of other games that i download regularly on my tablet

I like puzzle games, racing games and recently i am so hooked on an app called Draw Something, its fun cause you get to play with other users as well. I like games that there are sort of interactions with other users, in that way there is always something new, keep me from getting bored.
    I'm playing Draw Something as well! It's super addicting Also just finished playing Cave Story 3D, well, my first run-through anyway, it has a couple different endings, so I'm going to go back through and start a new game soon. I've played all the other versions of Cave Story and it's by far my favorite game. Also... I really need to finish Borderlands before 2 comes out in September!

Recently:

RockBand 3 (especially drums and vocals)

Mario Kart Wii

Rally driving sims (I've mostly played Colin McRae and Richard Burns, haven't played any in a while).

and a few more from my past I've spent significant time on:

Nethack
    Civ II
    Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series

I have to admit, I have more games in plastic wrap than I do unwrapped and played! It's so terrible! Between work and my two little girls, I have no time to really dig in and play big AAA games anymore. But, here is a list of some of my favorites:

1) Mass Effect - current on ME3
    2) God of War - these are the ONLY games I have ever played through multiple times
    3) Shadow of the Colossus
    4) Plants vs. Zombies
    5) Psychonauts (and anything from Double Fine - LOVED Stacking)
    6) Red Dead Redemption
    7) Mario Kart (SNES)
    8) Gears of War
    9) Uncharted (#2 was the best)
    10) Bit.Trip.Runner

I also have a deep love for any game I have worked on (well, most games). That list now stands at around 100 titles! That's like 10 / year, and no, that is not counting individual pinball tables.

^^^

Red Dead Redemption did not get the love it deserved I reckon when it was released. I love that game, and 100%'d the single player

Speaking of fighting games, I'm really looking forward to Skullgirls that's releasing out next week for the PS3/360.

I'm a sucker for anything with tactics in the title, anything turn based, Advance Wars and Civ 2 being two of my favourites. I've just got a Vita so I can play Disgaea 3, which I'm stupidly excited about, having never played the PS3 version. I'm a big racing game fan as well and also enjoy a good 2D shooter (getting too old for them now, don't have the hand/eye thing anymore).
    Currently enjoying Fez on 360 and Hustle Kings, Super Stardust Delta and Everybody's (Hotshots) Golf on Vita.