Thread: DMD now working for Cabinets. Heres how to set it up!!

Default DMD now working for Cabinets. Heres how to set it up!!

That's right folks. With an update from Steam you can now move your DMD to your third screen. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Here's how you do it. Youn numbers may be different than mine depending on your screen resolution and if you're using a 2 or 3 screen cabinet.

First in the PFX2 settings menu change the DMD size setting to OFF

Then do this

Last edited by VPcabs; 03-29-2014 at 09:35 PM.

Barbie please pass along how greatful we are to the entire Zen staff for making this happen for us!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VPcabs View Post
    Barbie please pass along how greatful we are to the entire Zen staff for making this happen for us!!!
    I totally will - thanks for posting this handy little guide!

Okay, this - is - perfect !!!!! 8)

Have it running in my 2 screen cab setup without any problems.

If you want to remove the DMD windows borders and windows titel bar, you can use Actual Window Manager (http://www.actualtools.com/windowmanager/download/).
    Just add the DotMatrix Window to the list of special windows and set it to remove everything under the main window settings.

Works like a charm, my cab has made a huge step forward toay and Pinball FX2 will autostart from now on.

Thx a lot and greetings to the whole team!

Duglim

Thanks, guys. This works nicely.

Note: If you have to create the config file manually, the extension must be cfg. The filename is dotmatrix.cfg

Another tip to pass along from a forum member.

If you want to remove the DMD windows borders and windows titel bar, you can use Actual Window Manager (http://www.actualtools.com/windowmanager/download/).
    Just add the DotMatrix Window to the list of special windows and set it to remove everything under the main window settings.

Shake,
    Are there settings for flip and rotate for our P2K cabs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow thank you so much!!!! Now was that so hard to do? Takes pinball fx2 to another level and I will now buy the rest of the tables!
    Me and my cab thanks you!
    345bxxv.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PinballPais View Post
    Shake,

yeah how does it work?
    could someone really explain what the numbers do?
    how can I determine which pixel is where on which screen?
    can I also use this to moove the dmd on the main sceen?
    Last edited by mpad; 03-29-2014 at 01:43 PM.

Pixel 0/0 is the top left corner of your main screen, you can move teh DMD in any direction. Other screens are located in the coordinate system as theyy are arranged in you windows screen setting. So, if you second screen is left of the main screen, you need to move the DMD to -X/Y, if it i above the main screen, move it to X/-Y.

Greetings, Duglim

Thanks Duglim.
    I tried that for the main screen, but it seems only to work for second screen.

Gesendet von meinem ThinkPad Tablet mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mpad View Post
    Thanks Duglim.
    I tried that for the main screen, but it seems only to work for second screen.

Gesendet von meinem ThinkPad Tablet mit Tapatalk
    yes, because it is beneath the playfield when you only have one screen.

Quote Originally Posted by VPcabs View Post

First in the PFX2 settings menu change the DMD position setting to OFF
    I don't see an OFF setting for position, there is an OFF setting for size. You are showing the file without an extension but someone else said it should be dotmatrix.cfg, which is it? I haven't managed to get this working yet as you probably guessed

OK, I figured it out. Size = OFF (not position).

It looks like height and width have "-" instead of "=" in the above screenshot but everything should be "=".

File name = dotmatrix.cfg
    Last edited by insx; 03-29-2014 at 08:16 PM.

i have created this file by myself and it works fine.

Yes just turn off on the size... If you look in your pinball FX2 folder you will see a CFG file in there called PLLog just copy it and rename it dotmatrix then open it with notepad and erase whats in it and if you have 3 screen setup try copy these settings into it.. the dmd wont show up till you play a game..
    x = 3830
    y = 305
    height = 260
    width = 1030

Quote Originally Posted by insx View Post
    I don't see an OFF setting for position, there is an OFF setting for size. You are showing the file without an extension but someone else said it should be dotmatrix.cfg, which is it? I haven't managed to get this working yet as you probably guessed
    Last edited by LoadedWeapon; 03-29-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moewe View Post
    yes, because it is beneath the playfield when you only have one screen.
    Ah too bad. As I only have one screen and a real dmd I hoped this would allow me to tweak the position at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Cheddar View Post

Note: If you have to create the config file manually, the extension must be cfg. The filename is dotmatrix.cfg
    Sir Cheddar,

Where did you get the backglass for this table and how are you able to get it to display? Was this VPF community created?

Quote Originally Posted by dyopp21 View Post
    Sir Cheddar,

Where did you get the backglass for this table and how are you able to get it to display? Was this VPF community created?
    Yes. I'm using Markmon's backglass changer over here: http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=24545.

The backglass I was using there was either from that threat or from google images or from http://blog.zenstudios.com/press/

Yesterday I replaced all backglasses I had including this one with open6l's work. I recommend to take a look at it, you can find on the PinballX ftp server.

Another option is using PinballX with some autohotkey scripts to start each table directly and let PinballX display the right backglass at start. This has a lot of advantages but I don't use this method because it seems to need plenty of manual corrections after new tables come out.
    You can find samples of those scripts on the same ftp and on the PinballX forum.

Well done Zen and well done guys with those awesome looking cabinets. Good luck with standing for 24h+ to finish one game of Paranormal

Does anyone know of any other way to turn off the title/border without buying Actual Window Manager? Would it be possible for Zen to hide it?

Quote Originally Posted by insx View Post
    Does anyone know of any other way to turn off the title/border without buying Actual Window Manager? Would it be possible for Zen to hide it?
    It seems like autohotkey can do the job by changing the window style. I tried for a hour or two but so far I didn't get it to work.

I absolutely LOVE the moveable dmd. Awesome!

Since this update and since moving my dmd to the backglass on my cab I have seen a few issues..

1- I see a large picture of black and white checkmark in a box that appears in the middle of the playfield on the right side sometimes. It has appeared on each table that I have played since the update. It appears to be random. Strange

2- I have had 2 FX2 program crashes while in the middle of a multiplayer game. The error just says that fx2 has stopped working. For me I have not seen this during a one player game

3- The colored triangles are missing that used to sit on top of the virtual dmd during a multiplayer game. I liked these because we could see who was winning Is there a way to add them to the new virtual dmd?

Thanks
    Junky

Hey Zen, any chance you can add the title of the game playing to the DMD window? This would allow me to easily modify my changing backglass program to easily detect the current game and display the correct translite without any file system audits.

Yes. I'm using Markmon's backglass changer over here: http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=24545.
    The backglass changer also has an app in it that when run will show you the current width, height, x and y coordinates of the window. As you move and resize the window, these are updated. It makes setting up the config file for the dmd very easy.

Default Hide title bar... almost

Here's a way to make the DMD title bar a lot less intrusive. Just use the windows appearance settings to change the Inactive Title Bar and font to black (possibly the Inactive Window Border too). Now you will just be left with the small PBFX2 logo and the minimise/maximise buttons.

Created an account just so I could say thanks and this is fantastic!

Now just need a built in backglass that works like this and to be able to turn off the ball launch (and other) event camera views.

I really like the all the tables. They are great and fun to play.

-Mike

I wrote a quick little program to help with positioning your DMD. You can download it here: http://pinballbulbs.com/files/pbfx2dotmatrix.zip

Simply run this, move the window into position, size the window as you want it, click "refresh" to update the position controls, then hit save. If you need to rerun it again, just use open to locate the file and open it again. By default this opens/saves to the default steam directory. If you store your files elsewhere you'll need to browse to that directory (where pinball fx2.exe is located). This will create the dotmatrix.cfg file if it does not exist.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397016746.334548.jpg

Got this going on my cabinet tonight - awesome!

Anyone know what the native resolution is of the DMD display? I can't seem to quite get it in proportion.

Real DMD support via PIN-DMD2 next?

Finally trying this after getting a new HDD for my cab. What is the height to width ratio needed so that the DMD is the correct shape? I tried a multiple of 128 x 32 (number of dots in a real DMD) like 1024 x 256, but it looks skewed -- not all the dots are the same size.

Skewed DMD.jpg

I'm using this for my config. Seems to look correct.
    x = 2400
    y = 820
    height = 220
    width = 960

junky

Question

Quote Originally Posted by PinballPais View Post
    Shake,

I'm definitely interested in the answer to this question as well. Anyone know?

I don't know if it has been mentioned here in the forums. So at the risk of relaying information everyone already knows, I'll reveal this discovery. It's possible to have two copies of the DMD running simultaneously.

Set up dotmatrix.cfg as usual. Run a game. Go to Help & Options -> Settings -> Video and select something beside "Off" for Dot matrix size. Restart and you will have your custom configured DMD window and another DMD on the playfield.

Why would you do such a thing?

I use the Dot matrix size: Small and Dot matrix position: Bottom left options. The DMD is eye candy anyway, not always integral to the game and if I am concentrating on the flippers I'm not paying attention to what information the DMD is displaying. With this configuration, I have the best of both worlds. The eye candy of a DMD in the correct location on the cabinet and a DMD in a location where it can actually do me more good as a player.

It is not totally crazy. It is a mod owners have done with real tables:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/top...xtender/page/2

http://www.drpinball.co.uk/personaldmd.htm

Quote Originally Posted by markmon View Post
    I wrote a quick little program to help with positioning your DMD. You can download it here: http://pinballbulbs.com/files/pbfx2dotmatrix.zip

Simply run this, move the window into position, size the window as you want it, click "refresh" to update the position controls, then hit save. If you need to rerun it again, just use open to locate the file and open it again. By default this opens/saves to the default steam directory. If you store your files elsewhere you'll need to browse to that directory (where pinball fx2.exe is located). This will create the dotmatrix.cfg file if it does not exist.
    I just heard that they added this feature. Awesome work Zen!

This util saved me a ton of time too, markmon. Thanks so much!

Anyone have a decent two screen set up they would like to share (settings) ?
    Bonus multiplier goes nuts on drains

Awesome, this is working great!

Yeah nice.
    But any chance to remove the border?
    Without buying a program?
    Regards,
    Longi

this post on vpforums shows how they're doing boarderless on cabinets via a script vs paying for a program to do it.

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?sh...24545&p=290475

Oh and the Large DMD for Pinballfx2 seems to be 204 x 780 (with no boarders removed)to get all pixels the same size and shape and eliminate the moire effect you end up with if you choice a size that doesn't match exactly

EDIT: Adjusted ratio due to boarders on dmd..now doesn't have any scaling moira effects

edit 2: using nukelauncher that removes boarders the exact size is 165x764 spiderman is a great one to use to test since it fills the screen with the launch ball
    Last edited by bloodydrake; 07-17-2015 at 06:37 PM.

Hi all...new to this site. :-)

Looking to build my own cab with PFX installed. Noticed this thread which says you can move the games DMD portion to the backless area. Being a noobie, where exactly are you moving this DMD portion to? Is it a second tv or a third tv or a real DMD etc. Having seen some of the images here, it looks a little too low down to be on another tv, so Im a little confused.

Thanks all.

Default DMD windows borders and windows titel bar

I would say as I configure the Windows Manager 8.4 so that no borders and windows appear dmd titel bar .
    I do not achieve .
    thanks

Default Dmd

Can anyone please remote to my pc and help me setup the realdmd 3 I have? I have a real cabinet with 40" playfield, 32" backglass, and a real dmd not a screen. Been trying for weeks.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you