No announcement yet.

FarSight launches new Pinball title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ugh... I shouldn't have hyped myself up for this game. First off, the visuals are AMAZING. A++ in my books, but now when it comes to the physics. *cough cough* There are a few problems with them. If feels like there is a little lag time from when i hit the ball with my flipper, like playing an online game. The ball is still too floaty, they need to add more weight to it.(especially on TotAN, the ball just sways on the ramp when it doesn't have enough momentum to go all the way to the bottom.) So i am kind of stuck in between great visuals and bad physics.

Comment

• Well im gonna get this l8er today, sad to hear the cons of this product..... well as long as enjoyment can be attained thats the main thing.
      sigpic

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
      Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
      *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

Comment

• Well, frankly, the cons of the release are due to prolonged exposure to zen studios crazy tables, the pinball arcade is not bad at all ... heck i dare even say it's good but you obviously can't compare real pinball mechanics translated to video pinball to the wild ride that are zen's productions !

Comment

• Hey Guys.
          We are all Pinball fans right?
          There is no denying FarSight's Pinball Arcade is F'en Awesome

Comment

• As I'd never played another pinball game (real or virtual) before Pinball FX2, I was really looking forward to try this out, due to the enthusiam of many pinheads here regarding the great original tables.

My experience so far is mixed. I really, really like the tables. Black Hole is a bit of a mystery to me and I don't really know what to do, but the other 3 are really great fun. So for the low price, getting it was definately worth it.

Physics wise, I agree with Womble. It feels a bit bouncy and the ball seems to do things sometimes that don't seem really convincing, like gaining speed while travelling up ramps, after you pass a certain point. I had the feeling that they have invisible borders on the ramps and if you pass that, the game counts the ramp as "made" and speeds up the ball so you make it to the end.

Up untill now, I had one major glitch, where Ripley's didn't recognize that my second to last ball of a multiball went out, so when I lost my final ball, the game got stuck and I had to abandon it. Call an attendant didn't work.

Regarding graphics, I'm a bit undecided. For it's purpose, transporting the original IP as real as possible, they're doing okay, but compared to what Zen does, it lacks polish and style. Same goes for sound.

I saw a lot of complaints regarding the UI on Facebook and although it feels a bit clunky, I didn't find it that bad. It's easy to navigate and the 1:1 touch pad optics are not great, but work out just fine for me. The things they need to address would be a table list, when more tables come out and better tracking of how you're doing compared to your friends.
            What I really like is the idea of the standard goals and the way the table is explained. For me, Farsight's version is easier to understand than Zen's.

All in all, it's a very good pinball game, but a mediocre video game.

Comment

• Goodness me they actually got round to officially releasing it in the UK. The game aint half bad if you dont compare the physics of the game to that of Pinball FX 2 and i love the choice of the tables made for the core content. Not at all falling in love with the camera angles on offer here though - only three and neither of them the one i used with PFX2 and as such i had to adjust somewhat for it.

Looking forward to seeing what will be offered as DLC and for how much?

Comment

• And the acievements look like they are going to be like PBFX in that each table will have 50 points. But the style is the same as in PBHOF Williams, ie. Basic challenges then wizard challenges. I'm at work, but how hard are the challenges for those of you playing now?

Sorry to hear that about the interface. Ever since Game Room (don't laugh) came out I've dreamed of having a virtual arcade to walk around, but neither Game Room nor William's (PBHOF) delivered on what I'm dreaming of. Looks like I still need to dream...

Comment

• Originally posted by Womble View Post

As for the physics, yeah, they're better, but still too bouncy for my liking. Also, try trapping the ball. Even thought the ball is supposed to be stationary, it actually bobbles around. (That's a physics solution error.)
                  I totally agree. The ball feels light and bouncy, which took some getting used to. I like Black Hole the best, it's really different and has some awesome robot-sounding voice-overs

Comment

• Will be picking this one up later when I get back from work, but not feeling quite so hyped for it as I once was following some of teh comments here about dodgy physics and front-end.

Still, it'll be good to see some of the old classics again. Does anyone know if they have a similar challenge system that PBFX has? Nothing like seeing that message telling you you are approaching a friends score and later getting the chance to send them the obligatory "I just beat your score..." message.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dalek Nation View Post
                      But the style is the same as in PBHOF Williams, ie. Basic challenges then wizard challenges. I'm at work, but how hard are the challenges for those of you playing now?
                      Standard goals, the ones required for the second achievement on each table, are easy to get, I think. I still haven't read the rule sheets and just play away and I already have 4/5 on ToM and Totan.

It's mostly things like starting multiballs, earning extra balls, doing basic things on the table. I think, if you're really getting into one table, they shouldn't be too hard to get.

@Alipan:

They offer a leaderboard score for friends, but they don't have a system like Zen, which tells you that you're closing in on a friend's score while playing a table.

Comment

• Originally posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
                        I totally agree. The ball feels light and bouncy, which took some getting used to.
                        This actually sounds pretty normal to me. In a real pinball machine, the ball is usually light and bouncy thanks that all of the elastics on the table. It looks like Farsight took this into account, when making this game's physics engine.

In your games, the ball is much more heavier and the elastics are less realistic IMO.

It's not a big issue to me, it's just something you need to adapt to.

Comment

• Any new TPA friends?

Originally posted by Verjigorm View Post
                          They offer a leaderboard score for friends, but they don't have a system like Zen, which tells you that you're closing in on a friend's score while playing a table.
                          If there's any Zen fans who are also playing TPA please feel free to add me to your friend's list for more score competition (i'm not very elite, have 2540 superscore). Gamertag is the same.

Comment

• I downloaded the demo for TPA. After playing two games on each table, I can honestly say I probably won't be purchasing this title. I'm not saying I won't play it, I'll probably wait until my roommate buys it and then give it a proper go. But judging by the demo, I'm not really a fan. I guess I'm just so used to Zen's physics by now that TPA just feels so airy and bouncy. I know real tables are like this sometimes. But it seems like the flippers are trampolines and I don't even have to hit the triggers to send the ball across the table, it just bounces that far on its own.

I've already had Black Hole glitch out on me, in the demo. I went to start the table and the camera got stuck at the top/back of the table. All I could see was the back of the table (orbit/top of ramps/etc.). There was no way I could have played a full game in that view. And there is no view changer. Its A: lock table view at far or B: allow it to zoom on the ball when it goes to the top/back of the table. I'm already having major doubts about this title. We'll see if my opinion changes after my roommate buys it.
                            Wizard Modes Completed: Buccaneer (1-6-11) SotD (1-20-11) Agents (1-24-11) Biolab (3-31-11) MSM (10-8-11) SL (10-12-11)
                            Paranormal (10-26-11) S-M (11-13-11) MK (12-15-11) X-Men (12-19-11) GR (1-15-12) CA (1-17-12) EQ (2-16-12) Rome (3-11-12)
                            Pasha (3-12-12) NM (3-28-12) Extreme (5-16-12) Thor (5-22-12) SM (5-26-12) WWH (6-21-12) FF (6-22-12) Blade (6-23-12)
                            IG (6-24-12) PvZ (1-7-13) ESB (2-27-13) CivilWar (6-22-13) BF (7-2-13)

Comment

• Originally posted by Verjigorm View Post
                              Yeah, that was one of the first things I turned off when I started playing Zen pinball -- I found those messages popping up during a game were a sure way to make me lose the ball!

Comment

• Originally posted by bclewis View Post
                                Yeah, that was one of the first things I turned off when I started playing Zen pinball -- I found those messages popping up during a game were a sure way to make me lose the ball!
                                And you were correct sir. I turned that thing off a LONG time ago because I had lost a ball or two due to the distraction.
                                Wizard Modes Completed: Buccaneer (1-6-11) SotD (1-20-11) Agents (1-24-11) Biolab (3-31-11) MSM (10-8-11) SL (10-12-11)
                                Paranormal (10-26-11) S-M (11-13-11) MK (12-15-11) X-Men (12-19-11) GR (1-15-12) CA (1-17-12) EQ (2-16-12) Rome (3-11-12)
                                Pasha (3-12-12) NM (3-28-12) Extreme (5-16-12) Thor (5-22-12) SM (5-26-12) WWH (6-21-12) FF (6-22-12) Blade (6-23-12)
                                IG (6-24-12) PvZ (1-7-13) ESB (2-27-13) CivilWar (6-22-13) BF (7-2-13)

Comment

Working...
                                X