No announcement yet.

FarSight launches new Pinball title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it me or does the ball seem to float/fly on Ripley's? When I try to trap the ball seems like it's got grease all over it and won't stay still. Also Tales of the Arabian Nights seems crazier with the physics too as even in PHOF I don't recall the outlanes being as nasty as they are now.

Maybe it's just because I got up at 530 in the morning to play but I had serious trouble keeping the ball in play on Tales on this new version. I was also really struggling to hit the orbits on this table and don't remember having issues in PHOF. Maybe I'm just nuts. Glad they fixed Harem Multiball though.

I will say I'm absolutely LOVING Theater of Magic though and I like the physics on that table the best so far.

Quick EDIT too. Has anyone had their flippers glitching in the up position? It happened to me 5 total times on all tables (except for Black Hole, yet to play it). It actually cost me two balls too. There was nothing wrong with my controller triggers either, but the flipper would just lock itself into the up position. It was super odd. Again, I'm crazy or a glitch?
    Last edited by gasfoodmurder; 04-04-2012, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gasfoodmurder View Post

Quick EDIT too. Has anyone had their flippers glitching in the up position? It happened to me 5 total times on all tables (except for Black Hole, yet to play it). It actually cost me two balls too. There was nothing wrong with my controller triggers either, but the flipper would just lock itself into the up position. It was super odd. Again, I'm crazy or a glitch?
      I had this happen too, I thought it was just me but I guess not.

Comment

... has anyone had their flippers glitching in the up position? It happened to me 5 total times on all tables (except for Black Hole, yet to play it). It actually cost me two balls too. There was nothing wrong with my controller triggers either, but the flipper would just lock itself into the up position. It was super odd. Again, I'm crazy or a glitch?
        Lol, now THAT'S realism . The only place in my town that has several tables has a "Funhouse" which will constantly do this. er... a little off topic, sry

Comment

• Is there a "superscore" sort of score across all tables?

Comment

Has anyone had their flippers glitching in the up position? It happened to me 5 total times on all tables (except for Black Hole, yet to play it). It actually cost me two balls too. There was nothing wrong with my controller triggers either, but the flipper would just lock itself into the up position. It was super odd. Again, I'm crazy or a glitch?
            Great! So the game also emulates stuck flipper solenoids.

Comment

• Yes but what made it even more odd was that when it happened on Ripley's, it happened to BOTH right fippers. It either has to be the physical trigger on my controller sticking, (which I'm 99% sure isn't the problem) or there is some issue with the code locking the flipper in that position.

My overall recommendation would be definitely try the demo, especially if you have played PHOF. I bought it without the demo because I'm ultra impulsive with anything pinball related. It's definitely harder and more frustrating than some Zen tables but it's still pinball and it's still fun

Comment

• I was a little skeptical about how much I would like this because I'm more of a video gamer than pinballer. Pinball FX 2 is actually the entire reason I like pinball. I was pleasantly surprised, though. In particular, I like the Theatre of Magic table.

Comment

Yes but what made it even more odd was that when it happened on Ripley's, it happened to BOTH right fippers. It either has to be the physical trigger on my controller sticking, (which I'm 99% sure isn't the problem) or there is some issue with the code locking the flipper in that position.

My overall recommendation would be definitely try the demo, especially if you have played PHOF. I bought it without the demo because I'm ultra impulsive with anything pinball related. It's definitely harder and more frustrating than some Zen tables but it's still pinball and it's still fun
                  I recall having the same issue with stuck flippers in PHOF, particularly on Medieval Madness (of course, I did play that table more than all the others combined). It usually corrected itself after hitting the trigger a second time, but it was definitely annoying when it happened, and lead to at least one lost ball.

I'll definitely be buying Pinball Arcade, but from what I've read so far it doesn't seem like a huge improvement over PHOF.

Comment

• After buying this game with my roommate's MSPs (yes I had permission) and playing it for a few hours, I can honestly say I'm not really a fan at all. I do remember Outlanes in real pinball being pretty unforgiving, but not half as bad as Farsight makes them. I launch a ball, it goes around, bounces off a few things, hits a slingshot and I never ever get to touch it before it goes out the Outlane. This is absolutely ridiculous as it isn't even a "once in a while" occurance. It happened to me multiple times over multiple games. To the point where it seems like that's how the game is designed, to feed the ball directly to the Outlane at any chance. Yes I know real life pinball does that. But not like 50+% of the time like Farsight's tables do.

This only one fault I found. For one, the ball physics are terrible. the ball doesn't even look like its rolling half the time it looks like it just floats across the table. And this "bit-mapping" thing I heard so much about that was supposed to reflect what the ball "rolls by" doesn't do what they said it would either. The ball doesn't even roll, let alone reflect properly. When you "trap" a ball it kind of sits there hovering/spinning. Not a still ball like it should be. Overall I just find these "realistic" renditions quite silly and unplayable for LONG periods of time.
                    Last edited by E113; 04-04-2012, 10:50 PM.
                    Wizard Modes Completed: Buccaneer (1-6-11) SotD (1-20-11) Agents (1-24-11) Biolab (3-31-11) MSM (10-8-11) SL (10-12-11)
                    Paranormal (10-26-11) S-M (11-13-11) MK (12-15-11) X-Men (12-19-11) GR (1-15-12) CA (1-17-12) EQ (2-16-12) Rome (3-11-12)
                    Pasha (3-12-12) NM (3-28-12) Extreme (5-16-12) Thor (5-22-12) SM (5-26-12) WWH (6-21-12) FF (6-22-12) Blade (6-23-12)
                    IG (6-24-12) PvZ (1-7-13) ESB (2-27-13) CivilWar (6-22-13) BF (7-2-13)

Comment

• I can't wait till Medieval Madness is out.

Comment

• Originally posted by E113 View Post
                        After buying this game with my roommate's MSPs (yes I had permission) and playing it for a few hours, I can honestly say I'm not really a fan at all. I do remember Outlanes in real pinball being pretty unforgiving, but not half as bad as Farsight makes them. I launch a ball, it goes around, bounces off a few things, hits a slingshot and I never ever get to touch it before it goes out the Outlane. This is absolutely ridiculous as it isn't even a "once in a while" occurance. It happened to me multiple times over multiple games. To the point where it seems like that's how the game is designed, to feed the ball directly to the Outlane at any chance. Yes I know real life pinball does that. But not like 50+% of the time like Farsight's tables do.

This only one fault I found. For one, the ball physics are terrible. the ball doesn't even look like its rolling half the time it looks like it just floats across the table. And this "bit-mapping" thing I heard so much about that was supposed to reflect what the table "rolls by" doesn't do what they said it would either. The ball doesn't even roll, let alone reflect properly. When you "trap" a ball it kind of sits there hovering/spinning. NBot a still ball like it should be. Overall I just find these "realistic" renditions quite silly and unplayable for LONG periods of time.
                        When you described how quickly you can lose the balls to the outlanes, I thought of why I didn't play much pinball after the eighties. I seem to recall many times I losing the balls to the outlanes as if the table was designed to take away all the balls as fast as possible to make money.

Although I have never played TBA, from what I've seen the ball does look floaty and it seems on some of the tables the ball bounces off bumpers where as if it was so sensitive. There doesn't see to be any weight on the ball much like some of Zen's earlier tables.

Still the nostalgia of playing some of the classic pinball tables looks so good. I'm on the PSN so I won't be able to try this at all until next week

here is a vid of the trial version that i saw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFsnbOBFCjs
                        Last edited by tenorhero; 04-04-2012, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• I gotta say I'm very disappointed. I expected physics better than Hall of Fame Collection, and these actually worse, it feels like a step backwards for Farsight. The ball "jumps" across spaces a lot, like when it's under a flipper and gets trapped, next thing you know it's a few inches over.

I thought I'd like Black Hole the best, but it wound up to be lame. A ball drain in the bonus area actually counts against you (lose a ball), and the speed of the ball is very erratic (ie very quick bullets through outlanes).

The main menu just forces you to scroll left and right to get to tables, how are we going to be able to see purchased DLC?

About the only thing they got right are the instructions for the tables.

Anyone read the EULA and legal garbage? There's actually a spot for it in the menu......

Comment

• Originally posted by Postman View Post
                            I thought I'd like Black Hole the best, but it wound up to be lame. A ball drain in the bonus area actually counts against you (lose a ball), and the speed of the ball is very erratic (ie very quick bullets through outlanes).
                            That ball drain on the mini playfield isn't automatic. You have to open the gate by hitting a certain target or something. I don't know the specifics but you can come out of there just fine without losing your ball.

Comment

• ToM screwed me over

today i played the pinball arcade.. i must say for 800 points getting a whole game including 4 tables is cheap.. in that way it is an winner!! dont you guys think? anyway what im not so pleased of is the fact i had an real good game.. i actually beat the little jesus out of ToM.. however at the end of the game something bad happens to me click the link for what i ment by that. (sorry for a little swearing at the end people, it was brutal when you see it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR_cb4wTiZU

Comment

• Roy, yeah it's weird. I don't really understand FarSight's comment on the matter:

It's a bug in the ROM. The emulation is rolling the score over - not our code. We will find a way to fix this.
                                So is it a bug in the original ROM? Or a bug in the emulator?

I'm pretty sure that the bug would have been found by now if it were in the original code.

FWIW, Steve Ellenoff is listed as the Emulation Engineer on the game. He also had that job in PHOF. He's one of the guys behind PinMAME, which is the technology Visual Pinball uses.
                                Last edited by Womble; 04-05-2012, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X