No announcement yet.

ZEN Studios Interviewed by This Xbox Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the save game feature is good when you dont ave time to finish a game but like a few others on here i had no idea it could be exploited in that way, please ZEN fix this..maybe one save and restart per game

Comment

I think i am a really good player without using any of this save-bullshit. It is sad to hear about a method gaining points so easily. I have played for hours to get my highscores without any cheats.
      Nightmare Mansion: 3rd
      Buccaneer: 4th
      Spiderman: 8th

Comment

Why not add a special 'no save' leaderboard then ? somme ppl were asking for a 'hard' or 'tournament' mode, this could be a double feature update somehow, although i know it would have repercussions on the whole superscore thing ...

Comment

So glad you guys enjoyed the interview. We enjoyed doing it. I can't wait for more tables.
          Check out This Xbox Life Podcast at www.thisxboxlife.com

Comment

It's should be standard practice to delete the save once it has been loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrannical View Post
              It's should be standard practice to delete the save once it has been loaded.
              It is. There just happens to be ways around it, same as there has always been since they invented saved games.

Comment

Originally posted by smilingsaint View Post
                i dont think there is any reason to believe blue used that exploit.
                Thank you.

This interview reminds me why the comments of marketers (and amateur journalists) should always be scrutinized:

Mel has confused me with ancient of war.

I'm not in Japan. Mel and I don't "talk all the time." I've submitted a few bugs and answered several emails regarding prizes. Our exchanges have been brief. I searched through the six emails I've sent him; none of them contain the word save.

My scores are legitimate. My best Biolab game lasted 24+ hours playing over the course of a week--of course I used the save and resume feature to take breaks.

If ancient of war is exploiting the save system, I'm still confused based on Mel's description. I've lost several high scores because my Xbox froze or my power went out while playing. It was not possible to resume the previous games after the disruption.

Originally posted by Mel Kirk
                But, uhm, it is a legit score...it's just, like...it's from a save game. So any of you guys can, uh, take that tip and help boost your score.
                After I heard Mel make this comment, I decided to experiment with the save and resume feature. As far as I can tell, it only allows the current save to be in use. If the player quits to the dashboard or turns off his Xbox, that save file cannot be resumed. After a new game has started, it's no longer possible to restore from an old save file. The way the save system actually works seems to conflict with Mel's explanation of "he'll revert back to the [save] game."

Originally posted by Wingman709 View Post
                So glad you guys enjoyed the interview. We enjoyed doing it.
                It's very poorly produced. I thought I'd clicked on the wrong link at first--ditch the annoying intro music and use your real names. Introducing yourselves by your gamertags is awkward and irrelevant. Keep the discussion to pertinent topics that interest the audience; nobody cares about which achievements you're trying to earn.

No offense to Mel, but it would have been better to interview an actual developer rather than a PR guy. The Pinball FX 2 discussion was superficial and uninformative. Ask harder questions, and try not to sound like you're reading them off a cue card.

Also, please do your homework prior to the interview. For example, Mel claimed the tables are all "original ideas designed from the ground up." He even mentions The Addams Family a moment later. Any fan of this table will immediately recognize its design in Buccaneer (mirrored). All three of the core Pinball FX tables were mirrored clones: Speed Machine = White Water, Xtreme = Black Knight 2000, Agents = Star Trek: TNG. The same is true for Rocky & Bullwinkle (mirrored Sorcerer). It's dubious to suggest the FX 2 tables are original. Pasha shares several similarities with Funhouse, and Secrets of the Deep is very reminiscent of Grand Lizard. Both Rome and Wolverine borrow heavily from Medieval Madness.

Finally, it would have taken less than three minutes to excerpt the interview with vdub. I realize you want more listeners, but all most of us care about is news on the upcoming tables. Mel already does a great job keeping the community informed.
                Last edited by blue; 03-26-2011, 10:25 AM.
                They took our pinball machines!
                Let's revolt, who's with me?
                Grab a pitchfork and come with Zen!

Comment

Originally posted by blue View Post
                  No offense to Mel, but it would have been better to interview an actual developer rather than a PR guy. The Pinball FX 2 discussion was superficial and uninformative.
                  I thought it was a fun, and very informative interview.

It's a shame that you were apparently mistaken for someone else blue, but I think you are being overly critical of other people's efforts. Not for the first time, I might add.

If you think it should be done better, why don't you organise an interview? You can ask the hard questions, then edit the interview, upload it and let us know where we can grab it.

Criticism is easy, blue. If you think you can do better, prove it. Otherwise, it's just pointless, graceless whining.
                  Last edited by Womble; 03-26-2011, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I'm with Blue on this one. Glad to hear that you achieved your scored a legit way - 24 hours plus on one game.... only in my dreams will I be able to achieve that!!!

The interview was OK but I agree that I was also annoyed at first having to listen to guys explain what they are playing etc. and having to listen through large chunks before getting to the actual interview. An interview with one of the table designers would be great but the PR guy did a good Job but as Blue said all I cared about was hearing about new tables and when and from his interview there was plenty to feel excited about for the future.
                    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

Discord server - PinStratsDan

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                      why don't you organise an interview?
                      Because you haven't paid me yet.

Comment

Actually, I think it might be Purple Vomit that Mel was talking about. I'll have plenty of time to find out, as we're both taking a plane to Budapest today. Hopefully we don't have a very large passenger sitting between us.

Comment

He's Canadian. ancient of war is in Japan.

Hope you have a pleasant trip.

Comment

Originally posted by blue View Post
                            It's very poorly produced. I thought I'd clicked on the wrong link at first--ditch the annoying intro music and use your real names. Introducing yourselves by your gamertags is awkward and irrelevant. Keep the discussion to pertinent topics that interest the audience; nobody cares about which achievements you're trying to earn.

No offense to Mel, but it would have been better to interview an actual developer rather than a PR guy. The Pinball FX 2 discussion was superficial and uninformative. Ask harder questions, and try not to sound like you're reading them off a cue card.

Also, please do your homework prior to the interview. For example, Mel claimed the tables are all "original ideas designed from the ground up." He even mentions The Addams Family a moment later. Any fan of this table will immediately recognize its design in Buccaneer (mirrored). All three of the core Pinball FX tables were mirrored clones: Speed Machine = White Water, Xtreme = Black Knight 2000, Agents = Star Trek: TNG. The same is true for Rocky & Bullwinkle (mirrored Sorcerer). It's dubious to suggest the FX 2 tables are original. Pasha shares several similarities with Funhouse, and Secrets of the Deep is very reminiscent of Grand Lizard. Both Rome and Wolverine borrow heavily from Medieval Madness.

Finally, it would have taken less than three minutes to excerpt the interview with vdub. I realize you want more listeners, but all most of us care about is news on the upcoming tables. Mel already does a great job keeping the community informed.

So instead of thanking him to conduct a interview, you bash him? Wow man.

Comment

Originally posted by The Albin0 Rhin0 View Post
                              So instead of thanking him to conduct a interview, you bash him? Wow man.
                              Nothing around here is ever good enough for blue...

Comment

A few random observations -

Mel did good job of explaining that, yes, there is a save game exploit while keeping it vague enough so that everyone and his brother does not use it. It is not easy to do but, then again, it is not at all hard either. NO, I have not done it but, yes, just thinking about it for a bit I was able to figure out how it is done.

Not to speak for Wingman but the guys at ThisXboxLife are doing this for the passion of gaming, not for money as Blue seems to suggest with his "payment" comment about the interview.

Yes, they need to keep the save game feature. Any marathon game can lead you to "zoning out" or getting fatigued. There are plenty of times I know I should step away and quit because I can not stayed focused.

Comment

Working...
                                X