Ms. Splosion Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UranusIsBroken View Post
    "High scoring" and "Easy" are relative. The fact is, no matter what the scoring system employs, you'll rank the same position relative to the other people that are better/worse than you in pinball. Whether the top score is 1 Trillion, and you're 100th in scoring at 500B, or the top score is 1 Billion, and you're 100th with 500M, it's all the same. It doesn't really matter which is easier to score on.

Would you rather this score like Extreme? You could be 100th in scoring with 20M points. Would this be a better scenario?

It all boils down to skill. The points are really just a measuring stick as your score is only significant as it relates to everyone else's. Frankly, I like tables that allow for big scores. Psychologically, the average individual has more fun if they're scoring more points. True, scoring 200B points may rank you near dead last...but that person feels good about scoring 200B points more than they would 38K.

As far as "easy" goes.... If you mean like SotD? I'm all for it. If you mean like Ironman, I wouldn't even buy it.
    I agree with your point that high scoring psychologically is a good thing for making players feel good and selling more tables. The only thing I have against scoring miss-balance between tables and really super high scoring tables is superscore - Zen needs to change that if they are going to go into making all the new tables high-scoring tables.

On a table being "easy" or "hard". It is very difficult to get it right as you say, because if you make it too hard... it is really not part of the challenge of playing the table as you know there is a very slim chance of actually making it and once you have made it, its not really that inviting to go for it again. If it is too easy... there is no challenge in it. But again, each player has different abilities and Zen should focus more on creating tables that allow the average player to get the opportunity to beat the Wizard mode and not only the top players - such as the last two - Cap America and from what I can tell Ms. Splosion Man. If Zen had the leader boards for each difficulty level on-line and there was some formula for working out a single "super-score" across all the levels - that would be excellent for satisfying different level of players.

I can see myself in future going back to tables such as Biolab and Blade that have more variety to them but tables such as Ironman, Mars and Captain America. Once you have beaten them, there is not much that draws you back - once you have achieved a score you have set yourself for the table... that's it. I hope Zen improve on this and the scoring balance for different modes for future tables e.g. the different Howlers on Captain America can't really be used strategically and is not worth the effort... being saved by Bucky is worth much more than a couple of million more in a mode. SotD as well, you have no need to go for the very tough Wizard mode (Probe Multiball !!!) because you can just grind the other multi-balls - Wizard mode should feature high for me on a tables scoring and there is Romulus Multi-ball in Rome... completely out of balance for the rest of the table.
    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

Discord server - PinStratsDan

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

Comment

• In regards to my own personal difficulty prefernces i find myself rarely playing Iron Man, Extreme and Rome and really enjoying Captain America, Mars and Fantastic Four as good examples.

Thing is i also love Blade... its not regarded as an easy for newcomers table by any means is it yet offers a decent chance to exploring the table without being destroyed in minutes with unforgiving shots or complicated missions. I find it was the right balance for everyone as ive not seen anyone complaint about it being either too easy or too hard.

I always imagined this table as being really easy to score big on but hard to master - that is after all the ideal description of the source material its based on. You use one button but is it a walk in the park to complete - is it buggery.

Big scores appeal to me - i want to be rewarded big for the missions even if they are easier as i feel the tables should be played as such, i hear a lot of spamming certain shots and modes for the big scores needing never again to touch wizard modes if your done with achievements and trophies which is shame. I dont care if the score i get is ridiculous with Cap America esc massive rewards to doing missions as long as im getting better at the game and scoring said big points through playing the table as perhaps Zen intended.

Comment

• I agree that whatever the difficulty of the table a person will still rank comparatively with other people.
        Having said that I havent enjoyed recent tables like Captain America because the ease of the table means a par score amongst my frends involves reaching 3-4 wizard modes which means a long game.

In that sense I would prefer an Iron Man, Pasha or Rome difficulty with short sharp games.

The problem I have had with the CA table specifically is that to my mind there were no difficulty shots or missions at all. Combined with mission progress being saved between balls and the Bucky ball save it was geared to the casual far too much for my taste.

To my mind this was a trend that started with the F4 table. That only needed 4 missions to get the wizard mode and only the Dr Doom one was tricky.

I really hope Ms Splosion man doesnt follow suit.

When I first started playing FX2 I was playing Pasha and Rome. I didnt care about the scores I was getting it was just enjoyable to gradually improve and understand the tables more.

The best tables are challenging every time you play them - the Oasis shot on Pasha or missions on Rome are always a test of skill. Grinding the Captain America table is not.

Zen have got to be careful in my opinion, this game is becoming more like Peggle with each new table.

Comment

• Here is an interesting stat I would like to throw into the discussion.

According to the trueachievements website only 2% of people have completed the wizard mode of Captain America. This is actually not far different from tough tables like Iron Man and Rome which show a figure of 1%.

Bearing in mind that people registered to this website are by nature keen to win achievements it would be fair to say that the figure could actually be lower.

So I would suggest that making the tables easier hasnt resulted in many more people completing wizard mode.

With pinball it would seem that either youve 'got it' or you aint

Comment

• Guys reserve judgement for when you actually try out the Table, I think all of you will be surprised at how well it plays etc. So what if the points system is higher in terms of the amount of time it takes to increase your score.... as long as the Table is Fun and Inventive among other things that should sway you into playing it.

Remember my lil comments about the Table is only a opinion and remember that an opinion is subjective, the only opinion that should count is your own.
            sigpic

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
            Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
            *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

Comment

• I missed out on some random code drops on twitter last night Oh well, not too much longer...

I did end up finishing the single player portion of Ms. Splosion Man last night tho... Those later levels get tricky and present quite a challenge. All in all it's a great game and I recommend everyone drop 800 space bucks on it. It was well worth it, and I haven't even touched the separate 50 level mulitplayer campaign. I love the Arnold movie references in the game... They crack me up (Total Recall and The Running Man)

I am looking forward to the table releasing on Wednesday. It should be up about 5am EST along with a heap of other XBLA games... One of them happens to be MK Arcade Kollection. I played MK2 and UMK3 a ton back in the arcades in the late 90s... Should bring back some fond memories

I will post up some thoughts on the new table once I get a few hours on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by KGSoloman8000 View Post
                I missed out on some random code drops on twitter last night Oh well, not too much longer...
                I noticed that 15 minutes too late. Of course I am sure they were taken within seconds anyway ^_^

EDIT: Just finished Ms. Splosion Man the game. Bring on the PINBALL!
                Last edited by KnoxSe7eN; 08-30-2011, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• How much longer? Got home from work this morning hoping it would be there. I'm in the UK so what time can i expect this to be on XBL (GMT)?

Comment

• It always appears to be available at around 18h00 where I am (GMT +2 hours) which is convenient for me as it is just as I get home from work. Lets hope for your sake that it is available sooner today!!!

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Comment

• I just purchased it on xbox.com marketplace so I assume it can be downloaded straight away... now I just have to wait until I get home!!!

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Comment

• I just played the table and its fun..but its very difficult to see everything clearly.
                        All of the visuals are too bright pink for me..zen could have done a better job with that imo

Comment

• I've only had a few minutes with the table, but yeah, I had the same problem; it's a little hard to make out the ball at times.

Also, had to crank the volume way down in case the speakers blew. The new echoey sounds of the flippers are interesting. They feel like they're from a '70s Bally.

Still, the table looks like a lot of fun. A crowd pleaser, I think.

I like the S-P-L-O-S-I-O-N multiball mechanism. And I love the Add-A-Ball feature during multiball.

BTW, the game needs a mechanism for letting you know when a new table is available.

Who left the toilet set up? Durr-rama!
                          Last edited by Womble; 08-31-2011, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Table is up now if you didn't already know.

BTW, anyone else experience long front end load times for all the tables (I now have 21 and Fantastic Four, Captain America and MsSplosion Man take the longest to load)

Comment

• omg it's like cotton candy panda, like, you know?

If you like what I do you can support me at https://www.ko-fi.com/woodlandspiritThe normal look around the table and a quick play to round off the video. A w...

The folks at Zen Studios have teamed up with Twisted Pixel Games to bring you a new table for Pinball FX 2 and its dedicated to Ms Splosion Man!Video By Quic...
                              Last edited by Womble; 08-31-2011, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nekro Neko View Post
                                Table is up now if you didn't already know.

BTW, anyone else experience long front end load times for all the tables (I now have 21 and Fantastic Four, Captain America and MsSplosion Man take the longest to load)
                                If you wait till the FX2 logo has played out when starting the game the tables should have all loaded by then. If not then you have a slow connection to Xbox live and its taking time reading the licences.

Comment

Working...
                                X