Low/No content shoot the **** thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low/No content shoot the **** thread

Lots of bigger forums have this, it's a pretty useful catch all for random stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread, as well a nice place for people to talk about non pinball related things, rib each other etc. Hopefully this idea takes off, the idea is that regulars will chat in here and the community will become stronger, as well as having less crappy threads made that clutter the forum.

Nekro Neko's tournament of champions got me thinking about various tournament setups that would be applicable to pinball. What do you guys think about this idea?

8 or 16 entrants (seeing as how the number of entrants is bound to be low), in a bracket style, heads up tournament, where 1 person advances to the next round each week. Each player chooses a table, and a random table is also used, for a best of 3 tables match each week. This keeps the amount of play time low, you will only need focus on 3 tables each week, but the amount of time you put into raising your score is up to you. Matches would be sunday to sunday, so that we could easily look at the weekly leaderboards to see posted scores.

The player who has 2 or more higher scores moves forward to the next week of the challenge. Once you choose a table, you will not be able to choose that table again, preventing you from spamming your "best" table the entire tournament. It also forces you to make strategic choices regarding possibly saving your "good" tables for upcoming harder challengers that have advanced through the match. A 16 player match would end up lasting 4 weeks (16-8-4-2-1.)

Just thought of this because a tournament sounds like tons of fun, but I don't have time to get good scores on all 23 tables.

Think of the possibilities, we could have a draft where teams compete against eachother for cumulative high scores! How fun would that be!?

Comment

Just for information, when you want to add something to a post you juste wrote 1 minute ago, you can use the "Edit" button

Oh, and excellent idea, I love your "Joker" thread Let's talk about latin : who knows their first declension ?

Comment

What's the joke

I'm aware of the edit button, but thanks for reiterating what it is for me

Comment

I like your idea, personally.

I entered the present tournament that's being run, but my problem is that I also play an MMORPG with my wife as well as an online golf game. So, my time is split up between 3 different gaming interests and that means my pinball time is not sufficient to really score well on a lot of tables in a short period of time.

I think that a longer time frame or a small sampling of tables in a single week would work well, as would this bracket system.

Comment

Gaming time per week?

I'm all for your new tournament - there are tables that I have really not played before because they just don't feel on par for me but wit this tournament style you will have to play tables you won't really consider. I'm just not getting to playing this week - already wednesday - so my participation in Nekro neko's tournament is not going to be as much as I initially thought.

One suggestion for this thread... in your post heading put something that indicates if you start a new topic (like I did now ), then we can know whats going on. I'm still hoping that Zen will revamp the forum at some point so that it has more sub-forums for exactly things like this and so that discussions on tables, tournaments etc. can be more logical. It will be much more user friendly and useful for forum readers.

Now for something not-worthy-of-its-own-thread...

Game time per week

How much time do you spend gaming per week? I spend about 1-2 hours a day on average and weekends about 4 - 5 hours a day if I am around. So my max normal week would be around 20 hours. My pinball playing takes around 75% of my game playing time and I usually only move over to a different game once I reached whatever my goal was on a certain table.

I used to play a whole lot more ( 4 -5 hours) games a day (been playing since I have been about 9 - so for 25 years or so now) but at some point I decided that I need to balance my game playing time with the rest of my life etc. I'm married, work 40+ hours a week, do trail running 4-5 times a week for 1 - 2 hours at a time, watch certain sports quite regularly (rugby, cricket, formula 1 and MotoGP), watch certain TV series (currently Mentalist, True Blood, Game of Thrones, White Collar, Dexter and House) visit with friends and family 3 - 4 times a week, spend time on forums (30 min - hour per day), have to eat and clean daily etc. If you add all these things up... there is no really much time for anything!!!
            Last edited by Cloda; 11-02-2011, 06:40 AM.
            XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

Discord server - PinStratsDan

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

Comment

Game Time

I probably play for an hour a day, maybe less. But most of my time is taken up with (offline) shooters. Rage, Half Life, Bioshock, Reach, you name it. Everything but COD. (But that's only 'cos COD is for wankas.)

Used to game a lot more due to health issues, but I'm cutting back as I get better.

I also used to spend an inordinate amount of time playing Geometry Wars. King of all my Friends! I lorded it over them all. Then I made the very stupid mistake of be-Friending OzVoyager1. He proceeded to trash most of my Geometry Wars scores, and Pinball FX ones too. He's a cheating bastage.

Got a dusty PS3 but it only gets turned on for Resistance, Uncharted and the odd blu-ray. Don't even bother going online with it.

Comment

I play COD, well, actually more like Battlefield 3, but only with friends that i know.

Comment

I'm up for bracket play. Might it be an idea to play using the online versus mode though, 1v1 with a referee to ensure fairness? This would make bracket play a more intense afair than a week long event. Just an idea.

Comment

I probably play 15 hours a week on average. Varies quite a bit though, this week i've spent less than 5 playing, but the week ms. splosion man came out I spent nearly 40 hours playing.. lol.

I bought Dark Souls last week, and it is extremely difficult, almost to the point of not being fun. Geometry wars is sooooo much fun, i'm pretty terrible at it but it's definitly my second favorite XBLA game. When i've told friends about it they roll their eyes and go "ugh, a math game". Just the name turns people off I suppose.

And who rated this thread one star ffs! lol

edit:
                    I'd be cool with 1v1 player/ranked matches, but in my experience doing this with other games, it is very hard finding times for people to end up meeting and playing at the same time. That could definitly shorten the timespan though!
                    Last edited by wednesday; 11-02-2011, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloda View Post

Game time per week

How much time do you spend gaming per week? I spend about 1-2 hours a day on average and weekends about 4 - 5 hours a day if I am around. So my max normal week would be around 20 hours. My pinball playing takes around 75% of my game playing time and I usually only move over to a different game once I reached whatever my goal was on a certain table.

I used to play a whole lot more ( 4 -5 hours) games a day (been playing since I have been about 9 - so for 25 years or so now) but at some point I decided that I need to balance my game playing time with the rest of my life etc. I'm married, work 40+ hours a week, do trail running 4-5 times a week for 1 - 2 hours at a time, watch certain sports quite regularly (rugby, cricket, formula 1 and MotoGP), watch certain TV series (currently Mentalist, True Blood, Game of Thrones, White Collar, Dexter and House) visit with friends and family 3 - 4 times a week, spend time on forums (30 min - hour per day), have to eat and clean daily etc. If you add all these things up... there is no really much time for anything!!!

Per week, I've been racking up to 5 hrs a day with lack of job, but I have a 2nd interview in a half hour so that might finally change. Will also knock alot of my show watching time out too, and I've no DVR

Comment

I can get anywhere from 1-5 hours on a normal weekday of gaming time. Not a lot of that has gone to pinball lately but I've been putting a fair amount of time into Paranormal. Most weekends I don't get much playing time.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinobiSteve View Post
                          Per week, I've been racking up to 5 hrs a day with lack of job, but I have a 2nd interview in a half hour so that might finally change. Will also knock alot of my show watching time out too, and I've no DVR
                          Good luck... hope it went well!!! Hopefully with your new job you can buy a DVR
                          XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

Discord server - PinStratsDan

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

Comment

Originally posted by ShinobiSteve View Post
                            hey good luck with the interview.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent View Post
                              Just for information, when you want to add something to a post you juste wrote 1 minute ago, you can use the "Edit" button

Oh, and excellent idea, I love your "Joker" thread Let's talk about latin : who knows their first declension ?
                              Something like Rosa Rosae Rosae Rosam Rosarum Rosis ?

Damn, my school days seem pretty far away now...and i always hated Latin.... Caveat emptor! Cave canem! Tu quoque, Brute, fili mi!

Bet i wrote half of them wrong...

About the hours per day for pinball... Well, it depends, i'd say 2-3 as an average...
                              "The heart reveals what smiles betray" - Rise against

Comment

Working...
                              X