Pinball newbie, here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nekro Neko View Post
    I know it may leave you feeling deflated due to some of our scores being astronomically high...
    ... so NEVER EVER send a friend request to Cloda!

Just kidding,man!
    "The heart reveals what smiles betray" - Rise against

Comment

Hi, welcome to the community. Have fun and last but not least... Iron Maiden rules!!! Eddie's way cool, too.
      The robots are watching you!

Comment

Originally posted by shogun00 View Post
        You're not cheating and it's one of the first techniques that was created by the pinball wizards.

All the pros use that technique. In fact, once I learned that technique myself several years ago. My scores improved drastically in my games in general (real machines and emulations).
        I'll definitely start trying it out, then. As soon as I can develop the patience for it, anyway, heheh.

Originally posted by IzzyToxic View Post
        Hi, welcome to the community. Have fun and last but not least... Iron Maiden rules!!! Eddie's way cool, too.
        I thought a few people here might pick up on my location's origin ;P

Anyway, my wrist has been feeling better so I played a little more today - broke 130mil on Ms. Splosion Man on my second game, so I'm definitely improving, I think! I'm having to take it easy so I don't mess my wrist up a bit again, though :S
        http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=dual

Comment

I had a problem with hand pains at first also. I was pressing the triggers way too hard. A tip with that is to practice not pulling the trigger all the way. When hitting the ball, the release of the trigger has more affect then the pull. You can adjust the sensitivity of the flippers so that your triggers will be hair triggers if you want. I don't think there where any tips about changing the machine settings. You can tone down difficulty. Extra balls or lower the angle of the table, among other things. Scores will not get recorded though on the online leaderboards.
          You are doing good though. Took me a lot longer before I started getting scores over 100m. The forum guides written by the fans are where i learned. Last I checked i was at 370 on the leader boards. Blade is my favorite.

Comment

@Kitten

So how are you getting on with it now?
            sigpic

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
            Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
            *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

Comment

Originally posted by ShoryukenToTheChin View Post
              @Kitten

So how are you getting on with it now?
              I've mostly been trying to play sparingly to avoid screwing up my wrist or anything, since my Splosion Man score I mentioned about a week ago, today is the only day I booted it back up to really give it another good shot - partially because of wrist, partially because of depression (I've been going through some real life turbulence that's been extremely difficult on me), partially because of playing Solatorobo, partially because I'm trying to take it easy and not burn out/feel myself crush under high hopes... and partially because every time I turn it on, I end up playing for hours and hours, unable to turn it off! I'm trying to find the sweet spot, where it can be something I play once or twice a week every week without feeling overburdened, but also without feeling like I'm not going anywhere.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here's a little rundown on what I think of everything. The little stars indicate how much I like it. -

Agents ☆☆★★★
              HS: 13,235,000 - It's a fun table, but I can't hit the bloody ramp up to the multiball ship worth a damn. I mean, seriously. It is really, really hard for me to do. Really hard. Does anyone else have trouble with this or am I just having really weird timing?

Biolab ☆★★★★
              HS: 6,989,250 - I've only only played this table once, so far, I think. For some reason or another I've barely given any of the core pack tables a shot, but this one definitely seems like one of the better ones.

Blade ☆☆★★★
              HS: 4,639,400 - My almost total lack of interest in vampires has me not entirely enthusiastic about playing this one a lot. It does seem like a pretty good table, but I just don't really care about Blade, and the theme is a huge part of the table, to me.

Buccaneer ☆☆★★★
              HS: 7,820,173 - Seems like a pretty neat table, but I'm not a big fan of "traditional" pirates. Some of my very, very most favorite game characters are pirates, though, but usually sky pirates and always female (Tron Bonne is my all-time favorite, from Mega Man Legends, and I'm also a huge fan of Alicia [Tail Concerto], Rose [Zack & Wiki] and B. Jenet [Garou: Mark of the Wolves). Funny story, I actually got an achievement on this one the very first time I launched the ball, before even pressing a single flipper. I was quite amused.

Captain America ☆★★★★
              HS: 23,362,987 - I really do like this table, but I need to master doing the missions on it so I can "beat" it. I hear this is a good table to do that on.

Fantastic Four ☆★★★★
              HS: 7,878,000 - I like this table, but I really think I'm going to look up a guide on it, soon. I have no idea how the heck I'm supposed to lock balls with Doom.

Iron Man ☆☆★★★
              HS: 8,854,000 - I was actually a little disappointed in this table - it's low scoring and I just felt like with how big Iron Man is lately, they could have made this table a bit more awesome. Not AT ALL to imply it's a bad table, I'm happy with every single table I've bought (even Xtreme), but I feel like Iron Man deserved a liiiiittle more.

Ms. Splosion Man ★★★★★
              HS: 131,080,244 - The table I'm best at, so far, and will probably be one of the first tables I "beat" if I stick with things. It's funny, I was immensely disappointed by the actual Ms. Splosion Man game (and could write a book on the things I felt it did wrong and how it failed to learn from its predecessor's mistakes and instead made them worse), but I love this table a lot.

Paranormal ★★★★★
              HS: 29,033,000 - Honestly, this might be my favorite table. I'm in love with how well the theme is done and the hard-boiled investigator that narrates everything fits the game perfectly. I can't believe this was FREE, and I'm so glad it got me into the game. I will definitely be going back to it again and again. I really think letting this table out for free was an EXCELLENT promotion.

Pasha ☆☆★★★
              HS: 4,518,500 - Barely played this one. I'm not big on genies and the theme is definitely as goofy as goofy genie stuff gets. It's a really well-done table, but it's not quite my cup of tea. Will probably be one of the last tables I really play a lot of.

Rocky & Bullwinkle ☆☆★★★
              HS: 4,783,100 - Mostly got this one because my parents like Rocky & Bullwinkle, I'll have to get them to try it. It seems alright, but not particularly special. The 3rd flipper drives me nuts on this one, though.

Rome ☆☆★★★
              HS: 2,221,100 - Not really so great at this table. It's pretty, but I don't particularly like it. It's low scoring and the ramps are plain evil to me. It's funny when the female announcer says Deus Ex 'Machine' instead of Machina, though.

Secrets of the Deep ☆★★★★
              HS: 2,578,500 - Again, I've barely given the core tables a lot of attention yet, but this one probably is my favorite among them if only because I really dig the smaller area on the table with two flippers on it.

Sorcerer's Lair ☆★★★★
              HS: 17,798,650 - I picked this one up on everyone's insistence and really like the theme, but it hasn't "grabbed" me yet and I've only played a little bit of it. I need to check a guide before tackling it again, especially since its hidden minigames took me by surprise the one time I activated both of them (or maybe there are more than two...).

Speed Machine ☆★★★★
              HS: 4,674,525 - This is my favorite of the classic pack tables, even though I don't really like cars. I like how each of the classic tables are relatively simple and give me achievements just for doing really easy things. They feel like a good warm-up to the big leagues and have been nice little ego boosts when I see their medals unlock.

Spider-Man ★★★★★
              HS: 77,844,685 - This table is really excellently themed (I grew up a Spider-Man fan due to my uncle buying me a lot of his comics) and it's just a great deal of fun to play. The rails (that's the proper term, right?) resembling his webs being complicated and super fast remind me of Spidey's webslinging and it's just a pleasure to play.

Street Fighter II ★★★★★
              HS: 31,311,610 - I'm not a huge Street Fighter fan (I don't really like most fighters, although I do love their characters and themes), but I really like this table a whole lot. Something about it really charms me. Another one I need to check a guide on. I'm not asking for directions to guides or anything, I know how to find them on here... I just need to read them. I've been mostly keeping clear of reading them too much for now because I've got a bit of pride when it comes to really skill-intensive games like these, and feel like I really want to learn everything I can myself before I jump for too much help. I'm definitely at the point where I need to check them out, though.

Wolverine ★★★★★
              HS: 29,448,600 - A really fun table, but aside from the first (easiest) minigame on it, I get totally slaughtered. I love the theme job done on this table, but I wish it were a bit easier. This might be my most played table so far, but my scores pretty low on it because it was one of the first I practiced a lot on.

Xtreme ☆☆☆★★
              HS: 3,666,900 - Probably my least favorite table in the entire game, and it was, of course, the first I got all the achievements on. It's STILL a fun table, but it's so low scoring and the theme is so... trashy :P

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm getting better at accuracy and passing the ball, but I've still got a lot of work to do. Passing seems considerably more important than I had initially judged it to be, but it's really frustrating to pull a couple passes successfully and then miss what I'm aiming at both times. I've had a few close to zen moments where it feels like the ball is slowing down and I know exactly what point on the flipper it rolls across before I need to fire it, but a lot of other times I'm just fighting in hopes the darn thing doesn't drain, and rapidly just hoping to hit ramps over and over with no real idea what I'm doing.

I'm definitely improving, but I'm also constantly worried I'm not improving fast enough or that I'm going to hit a wall and just stop improving, at all. My biggest problem seems to be a combination of impatience and my accuracy improving at marginal speeds (I'm pretty sure I'm excelling considerably faster than most pinball newbies, but I never seem to be satisfied with how well I perform at something, even when I'm ranked no. 1). I can't hit the ball where I want it to go on a mission, even when I try to line it up just right, sometimes, which causes frustration with lining it up at all and makes me hope I'll just hit where I want while hitting the ball around more naturally.

I'm going to try and stick to fewer tables, soon, but they're all so neat I pretty much can't stop buying them and trying them all out. I also feel like since I never got Pinball FX1, got Paranormal for free and bought all 3 packs on sale that I kinda "owe" it to Zen to buy all the tables (and will definitely also be purchasing the 3DS game whenever it hits over here). I mean, what they've done here is really superb and it's definitely something I want to continue to support, especially since they really seem to respect their customer/fanbase.

Comment

Originally posted by cwata View Post
                I had a problem with hand pains at first also. I was pressing the triggers way too hard. A tip with that is to practice not pulling the trigger all the way. When hitting the ball, the release of the trigger has more affect then the pull. You can adjust the sensitivity of the flippers so that your triggers will be hair triggers if you want. I don't think there where any tips about changing the machine settings. You can tone down difficulty. Extra balls or lower the angle of the table, among other things. Scores will not get recorded though on the online leaderboards.
                You are doing good though. Took me a lot longer before I started getting scores over 100m. The forum guides written by the fans are where i learned. Last I checked i was at 370 on the leader boards. Blade is my favorite.
                Thanks for the advice on the triggers! I'll definitely consider adjusting things, though I like how satisfying it is to nail a shot on the default settings, right now.

Comment

@Kitten

Marvel V&V is coming out in a week or two. My one piece of advice for you at the moment would be to stick to one table until you master it. The confidence that you will get from beating a table will carry over to all the rest and it will put you in a good position to take on the Marvel V&V. First study the rule sheet and guide if one is available and know how to activate the kickbacks and get extra balls. As you get to know a table you intuitively begin to understand how the ball will bounce and what you need to do to take your next shot. Muscle memory also comes into it and aiming your shots becomes easier. It is also very important to always figure out why you lost a ball and then to try and figure out how you can avoid it next time - the natural reaction to losing a ball ranges from swearing out aloud, muttering something under your breath or simply just sighing resignedly... and then to try and speed up the End of Ball bonus so that you can get the next ball back in play So, it takes a real mental effort to analyse why you lost a ball.

I play an hour or two daily and have been doing so for more than a year... there is always something for me to do or to aim for and I have not once felt burned out. On most tables I have played a minimum of 15 hours and with the top tables I have played more than 40 or 50 hours! There are only a few tables that I am burned out on and that is mostly because the time required to get a new high score will just take too long and the gameplay is too repetitive to go through it again! The rest of them I will get back to at some point even if it is only in a years time.
                  XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

Discord server - PinStratsDan

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

Comment

Ah, Cloda, I totally forgot to mention I do also try to learn my best from whenever I lose a ball - as a shmup player, learning from 'deaths' is something I nearly inherently do almost automatically. One of the areas I feel I've been advancing pretty well in is being able to tell which flipper I'm going to need to press when the ball is close to the center, which I see a lot of people struggle with. I almost never flail on the flippers or simultaneously hit them both and just hope, I always try to be as calculated as possible. One thing that does get me every once in a while is "holding" a flipper up, which can have some really negative consequences.

Comment

If you want to know how your doing compared to others. When your looking at the leader boards you can change the filter so you can see your rank on individual tables. It tracks all time high scores and weekly high scores. Your scores are pretty good for a new player. Street Fighter 2 is pretty hard for most people. Zen loves their mini-games. Secrets of the Deep has dot matrix video games as mini-games. Most of the tables have them.

Comment

@Kitten

Wow talk about making sure I know what you been up to, Well im Glad to here you have found your favourites. But look out for next week as will have another 4 Tables to play with

Yeh ive developed Pinball Fingers so I can play the game for Hours, doh the problem I face is losing my focus which I used to be much better at... heck if anyone knew me from the PFX1 days they would vouch for that lol.

I think the whole play a lil' bit a day is good, keeps your muscle memory going but yeh I find it hard also to pull away when I start playing.... many a nights I don't have enough Sleep because of it, heheh no pain no gain I guess.
                        Last edited by ShoryukenToTheChin; 12-06-2011, 12:12 AM.
                        sigpic

PSN = SrkToTheChin
                        Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Comment

Another progress update!

I've bought all the tables. Yes, all of them. 0_0 I know you guys keep saying "stick to one table," but I keep wanting to switch about and become better in general before mastering one. I really wish I had gotten into this game earlier, I would have been able to progress a lot smoother... instead of being incredibly overwhelmed.

Here are my score updates:
                          Agents HS: 13,235,000
                          Biolab HS: 6,989,250
                          Blade HS: 4,639,400
                          Buccaneer HS: 11,808,380
                          Captain America HS: 23,362,987
                          Earth Defense HS: 11,581,780
                          Excalibur HS: 14,718,000
                          Fantastic Four HS: 13,363,000
                          Iron Man HS: 8,854,000
                          Mars HS: 45,249,000
                          Ms. Splosion Man HS: 131,080,244
                          Nightmare Mansion HS: 12,880,300
                          Paranormal HS: 51,367,210
                          Pasha HS: 10,689,500
                          Rocky & Bullwinkle HS: 6,568,000
                          Rome HS: 4,410,103
                          Secrets of the Deep HS: 5,184,500
                          Sorcerer's Lair HS: 64,751,878
                          Speed Machine HS: 10,223,003
                          Spider-Man HS: 77,844,685
                          Street Fighter II HS: 31,311,610
                          Wolverine HS: 29,448,600
                          Xtreme HS: 3,666,900

How do you guys think I'm doing? I jump from tables so much a few haven't gotten attention in a while, particularly the high scoring ones like Sorcerer's Lair and Ms. Splosion Man.

I've spent a lot of time trying to get achievements because I feel like they help keep me goal oriented and stop me from getting crushed when I feel like I'm at an impasse on a table. Can't get one achievement? Go to an easier one. My goal is to get at least the starter achievement on every table for now, and I've almost reached it! I'm at 33 total achievements (almost 50%) and the only 5g ones I'm missing are on Iron Man and Fantastic Four - I nearly had FF's, but I failed locking the fourth ball and drained after at least an hour of trying to light up the damn letters for "FANTASTIC" (this was only minutes ago, cursing ensued).

Any general advice on achievements to go for, maybe some easy ones? You can check what I do and don't have here - https://live.xbox.com/en-US/Activity...eId=1480657443 - I'd particularly like advice on Agents' last achievement (I can't hit the submarine ever aughhh), as well as some on Excalibur, Street Fighter II and Mars (these seem to puzzle me a bit, and they're tables I'm really digging at the moment). While I kinda with Zen would cut newbies and more casual players like me a little bit of slack, I also admire that they don't compromise in the difficulty of getting all these - they're SERIOUS bragging rights and require a lot of time investment and high levels of skill.

Also, man... I can NEVER play in short bursts like I want to. Once I sit down on this game I am glued to it, it almost makes me nervous to play it, sometimes (I wish that was a joke! :P), because I'm afraid of my day going down the drain. I think I've hurt my wrists a little again, so I'm going to need to take a break, anyway. Anyway, yeah, I'm addicted.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitten View Post
                            Another progress update!

I've bought all the tables. Yes, all of them. 0_0 I know you guys keep saying "stick to one table," but I keep wanting to switch about and become better in general before mastering one. I really wish I had gotten into this game earlier, I would have been able to progress a lot smoother... instead of being incredibly overwhelmed.

How do you guys think I'm doing? I jump from tables so much a few haven't gotten attention in a while, particularly the high scoring ones like Sorcerer's Lair and Ms. Splosion Man.

Any general advice on achievements to go for, maybe some easy ones? You can check what I do and don't have here - https://live.xbox.com/en-US/Activity...eId=1480657443 - I'd particularly like advice on Agents' last achievement (I can't hit the submarine ever aughhh), as well as some on Excalibur, Street Fighter II and Mars (these seem to puzzle me a bit, and they're tables I'm really digging at the moment). While I kinda with Zen would cut newbies and more casual players like me a little bit of slack, I also admire that they don't compromise in the difficulty of getting all these - they're SERIOUS bragging rights and require a lot of time investment and high levels of skill.
                            My advice.... stick to one table With Marvel V&V I'll play around a bit to test each one out but then I will stick to each one at a time until I beat the Wizard mode/reached a score that I am happy with for a first go. The amount of confidence you get from beating a table, even one of the easier ones such as Ms. Splosion Man or Sorcerer's Lair, is worth much more in my opinion than getting an achievement. With that said - for most tables you get the final achievement when you beat the Wizard mode. Achievements for me thus comes from mastering the table, so I never go for them directly on the newer tables... I did for some of the older ones just because I wasn't really interested in playing the tables at that point.

You are doing well in my opinion. In my first three months of playing I did not reach a 100mil on any of the tables. After that for the next 3 - 6 months I managed to get a 100mil on most of the new tables. Only after that did I start to go into the Billions on some of the tables. I find now that when I start playing a new table, because I have played so much by now, that I much quicker figure things out and understand what to do so in the end I tend to beat the table and put up scores that I am happy with quite a bit faster... I hope though Marvel V&V breaks that trend somewhat so that I need to work hard at beating a table again. The last table that really made me work hard was Mars and I really enjoyed that challenge.

I would also suggest that you join the GP as it will definitely help you to focus on one table at a time and as a table is played further discussions around the table are held. The next 4 GP tables are the Marvel V&V tables so its a good time to join.

My joints also get sore from time to time... never my wrists though. It is unfortunately because I spend a lot of my time typing as well for my work. No advice though except to take your vitamin and mineral supplements
                            XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

Discord server - PinStratsDan

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

Comment

@Kitten

Yep your defo improving, thats always a good sign.

Cloda's advice is spot on about sticking to one Table, I actually approach Tables the same way funny enough and I think most people in the Community does so as well. Its nice to freestyle with Table choices sometimes but if you wanna truely beat a score you have to play said Table because each Table is unique so for example -

If you play Iron Man a bit then transfer to Sorcerers Lair, the change in flow is truely amazing. Thats why most will stay stick to the Table you wanna beat or master whatever you want to call it.
                              sigpic

PSN = SrkToTheChin
                              Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Comment

Originally posted by Kitten View Post
                                Any general advice on achievements to go for, maybe some easy ones? You can check what I do and don't have here - https://live.xbox.com/en-US/Activity...eId=1480657443 - I'd particularly like advice on Agents' last achievement (I can't hit the submarine ever aughhh), as well as some on Excalibur, Street Fighter II and Mars (these seem to puzzle me a bit, and they're tables I'm really digging at the moment).
                                Since I only have a PS3 (no Xbox Live account), I can't view the achievements you have. However, I do know what they are thanks to this site. I don't have Agents (360 exclusive), but I do have the other tables.

For Street Fighter 2, Mars and Excalibur check out this guide (scroll down until you hit the DLC tables). It's for the PS3 version, but the trophies are similar to the achievements on the 360 version.

The trophy names are slightly different, but the objectives are the same.

For Street Fighter 2, you need to win a fight (Warrior trophy) and beat Bison (World Warrior Champion trophy).

For Mars, you need to complete the pyramid multiball (Explorer trophy) and beat the wizard mode (Lost Civilization trophy).

For Excalibur, you need complete a Tale mission (A Knight's Tale trophy) and take out the robbers (Defender of Camelot tropy).
                                Last edited by shogun00; 12-13-2011, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X