No announcement yet.

Special when Lit: a Pinball Documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recently there have been a few cable/TV shows that have visited the Las Vegas Pinball Hall of Fame. The first show was American Restoration, where they attempted to buy something and restore it. The second show was Tank Men, where the attempted to buy an old machine and convert it into a fish tank.

On both shows, the cast members dealt directly with the proprietor of the Pinball Hall of Fame, Tim Arnold. Tim's passion for pinball and the machines in his museum was very obvious. Unfortunately like anyone who is passionate about a hobby, they can sometimes come across as overly protective of the thing they love so much.

----------

The "freaks" exist in all hobbies. When I run across someone like that, it is a good reminder to try and live a balanced life.
    Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 04-27-2012, 01:43 AM.

Comment

I bet that guy with the arcade in Times Square could have told a lot of stories that would have been much better than a lot of those freaks taking up time.

Classic Game Room has some nice pinball videos on youtube. The host goes to the big annual thing in Pittsburgh every year and also reviews new and old tables.
      Happy Zen Pinball Android Customer
      ASUS Transformer TF101

Comment

For those who haven't seen it, PAPA has a collection of HD gameplay and instructional videos:

http://pinball.org/videos/

They're hosted at Vimeo (because YouTube doesn't support vertically-oriented videos. Also, Vimeo is classier).

Most of the instructional vids are commentated by Bowen Kerins (one of the guys behind PAPA, and a world champ).

Note: these files are big. Downloading is not allowed, but where there's a will...

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
          For those who haven't seen it, PAPA has a collection of HD gameplay and instructional videos:

http://pinball.org/videos/

They're hosted at Vimeo (because YouTube doesn't support vertically-oriented videos. Also, Vimeo is classier).

Most of the instructional vids are commentated by Bowen Kerins (one of the guys behind PAPA, and a world champ).

Note: these files are big. Downloading is not allowed, but where there's a will...
          Yeah, I've had that site bookmarked for a month or two now. *COUGH* If you have Internet Download Manager, downloading is a cinch, but yeah lol

Comment

I use Macs, and just use a combination of Safari's Activity window and Downloads window. Vimeo is a little bit clever in how it treats its streams.

Comment

Originally posted by MrDaaark View Post

At least I've learned in one of my favourite movies that a case full of old pinball machine parts can be traded to libyan terrorists in exchange for plutonium!
              Has there ever been back to the future table? Id love to see what zen would put together.

Comment

If you look on Youtube theres videos of a video Back to the Future table that is not finished.

thanks to the earlier posters for the clarification, the documentary didn't really go into detail, but just the idea of pinball being illegal is kind of a surprise. Especially to us now, back then before paddles were added and it was pretty much an american pachinko machine/slot machine, it probably made more sense.

As far as the freaks go, i kind of liked them. I would love to have a warehouse with 300 pinball tables! Makes me think of kid era movies like blank check and what i would do if I had a massive disposable income. Yeah, they're kind of weird, but at least they're happy. Maybe I read too much but I have a soft spot for ultra nerds and essentially historians of pop culture.

I'll have to check those other docs. Everytime i see one it makes me crave more pinball!!!
                "Cynics regard everyone as equally corrupt. Idealists regard everyone as equally corrupt, except themselves." - Robert Anton Wilson

Comment

Working...
                X