Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pinball FX 2 crashes (in anonymous mode high detail)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pinball FX 2 crashes (in anonymous mode high detail)

    Having a CTD, or lock up, problem with Pinball FX2. I can't run the Mars table, in "high" detail settings, in anonymous mode. This is a problem because I can only login in my private account, the family account needs to stay anonymous. Running in low detail seems to work regardless. Game will sometimes freeze just ticking the "high" settings box. Mitigating steps: Downgrading from ForceWare 314.07 (latest WHQL) to 310.90 (previous WHQL) seems to fix the problem. Logging into Xbox Live seems to fix the problem. Low detail runs reliably.

    I recently upgraded my video card from a GeForce 465 to a Geforce 670, but I suspect you have a problem with the latest Nvidia ForceWare 314.07 drivers looking at the crash logs.

    The really strange thing was that logging in also seemed to fix the problem, although it could have just been a lucky coincidence. I did get the game to run in high detail while logged in. It always crashed when anonymous.

    Here's a pair of crash logs (there are two others, the faulting module is always nvwgf2um.dll, Nvida D3D10 drivers):

    Code:
    Description
    Faulting Application Path:	C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Studios.PinballFx2_1.3.0.452_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\PinballFX2.exe
    
    Problem signature
    Problem Event Name:	MoAppCrash
    Package Full Name:	Microsoft.Studios.PinballFx2_1.3.0.452_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Application Name:	praid:App
    Application Version:	0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp:	5101440d
    Fault Module Name:	nvwgf2um.dll
    Fault Module Version:	9.18.13.1407
    Fault Module Timestamp:	5116d87b
    Exception Code:	c0000005
    Exception Offset:	00102660
    OS Version:	6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.103
    Locale ID:	1033
    Additional Information 1:	5861
    Additional Information 2:	5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
    Additional Information 3:	f3d5
    Additional Information 4:	f3d5be0cad2787556264647dc02181c3
    
    Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID:	d88abfc2e2ed3b4b2a29d7d001cf74f5 (-806327754)
    Code:
    Description
    Faulting Application Path:	C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Studios.PinballFx2_1.3.0.452_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\PinballFX2.exe
    
    Problem signature
    Problem Event Name:	MoAppCrash
    Package Full Name:	Microsoft.Studios.PinballFx2_1.3.0.452_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Application Name:	praid:App
    Application Version:	0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp:	5101440d
    Fault Module Name:	nvwgf2um.dll
    Fault Module Version:	9.18.13.1407
    Fault Module Timestamp:	5116d87b
    Exception Code:	c0000005
    Exception Offset:	00102660
    OS Version:	6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.103
    Locale ID:	1033
    Additional Information 1:	5861
    Additional Information 2:	5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
    Additional Information 3:	f3d5
    Additional Information 4:	f3d5be0cad2787556264647dc02181c3
    
    Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID:	d88abfc2e2ed3b4b2a29d7d001cf74f5 (-806327754)
    P.S.: Looking forward to the Star Wars tables!

  • #2
    For me, and many people with nvidia cards have the same problems, can only play in high details with driver ForceWare 310.90, i am downgrading too. With latest forceWare 314.07 or betas before no chance, its a shame I hope Nvidia fix this quick in the next Driver release.

    Comment


    • #3
      same here!

      Cannot even switch back to low detail, because it crashes, beforce you can switch it back....

      Very odd....

      How do you get to anonymous mode?
      Don

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by donald24 View Post
        same here!
        How do you get to anonymous mode?
        Don
        You press "cancel" when it asks for a log-in. Then it plays the Mars table only.

        If you've already logged in with an Xbox account, then you need to click on the Xbox Games portrait in the lower right hand corner of the Pinball FX2 screen, and it will ask you if you want to log out.

        If you've bought any tables, though, there's no point in doing that. Anonymously, Mars makes a fantastic upgrade to the old "Space Cadet" table that shipped with Windows NT4. It even plays a little like the old "Space Cadet."

        Judging by your question, it sounds like I just got lucky when I logged in, and anonymous mode may have nothing to do with it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by hfball View Post
          You press "cancel" when it asks for a log-in. Then it plays the Mars table only.
          Did not work, I clicked like a hammer on that logo, it repeatedly froze before getting to the settings-screen... had to deinstall, and reinstall (and download 1Gig of tables again...)

          They should have implemented an crash-fall-back solution.....!

          Say, where would you set back to "low details" in the registry, or in the file-system??? Don't want to redownload over and over again, if I get in the same position...

          Don

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by donald24 View Post
            Say, where would you set back to "low details" in the registry, or in the file-system??? Don't want to redownload over and over again, if I get in the same position...
            Modern apps don't store their configuration in the registry. They store it in AppData\Local\Packages.

            You'd need to open File Explorer (Win+E) and go to:

            Code:
            C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Studios.PinballFx2_[UIDstring]
            Then you could try to restore the folder to a previous state by replacing "C:\Users[...]" with:

            Code:
            \\[computername]\C$\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Studios.PinballFx2_[UIDstring]
            ...in the address bar. What this does is opens the administrative share, and gives you access to "previous versions."

            Right click on the "Microsoft.Studios.PinballFx2_[UIDstring]" folder, choose the "Previous Versions" tab, find the version from long enough before and click on "Restore..."

            Or you could just try the "Settings" folder inside that folder. Unfortunately, the Settings file is binary and can't be directly edited, so the only choice I see is to do a file restore.

            These "shadow copies" are created regularly by your system, and used to be exposed normally in Windows 7. You now need to use an admin share in Windows 8.

            Or, the simplest way, is to do a full restore point restore, but that is going to affect your whole system.

            The ideal thing would be for a Xen person to tell us what would work, but I think that would be a good workaround in the meantime. I disclaim anything that might happen to purchased tables however, so it's best to be very careful with the above advice if you have money sunk into tables. (Create restore point, back up folder, be ready to get on the line with Xen, etc. if something goes wrong.)

            Good luck.

            Comment


            • #7
              So any official Xen news about Nvidia fixing this? Is it a confirmed issue yet? I filed an official bug report with Nvidia. It should at least show up as a "known issue" on the next driver release.

              Edit: I got an official reply from Nvidia today.
              I'll (sic) submitted a bug to our quality lab to investigate and attempt to replicate the failure. Once we are able to replicate the failure then we'll escalate to development to debug and fix in a future driver update.
              Cross your fingers.
              Last edited by hfball; 02-25-2013, 07:45 PM. Reason: Follow up information

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for all the details on this, I'll make sure the team sees it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Good news. Nvidia has replicated the issue in-house, and this issue has been escalated to development for study and resolution.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by hfball View Post
                    Good news. Nvidia has replicated the issue in-house, and this issue has been escalated to development for study and resolution.
                    That's excellent. It's still broken in their latest beta, but hopefully the next one. Crossing my fingers.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by hfball View Post
                      Having a CTD, or lock up, problem with Pinball FX2. I can't run the Mars table, in "high" detail settings, in anonymous mode. This is a problem because I can only login in my private account, the family account needs to stay anonymous. Running in low detail seems to work regardless. Game will sometimes freeze just ticking the "high" settings box. Mitigating steps: Downgrading from ForceWare 314.07 (latest WHQL) to 310.90 (previous WHQL) seems to fix the problem. Logging into Xbox Live seems to fix the problem. Low detail runs reliably.

                      I recently upgraded my video card from a GeForce 465 to a Geforce 670, but I suspect you have a problem with the latest Nvidia ForceWare 314.07 drivers looking at the crash logs.

                      The really strange thing was that logging in also seemed to fix the problem, although it could have just been a lucky coincidence. I did get the game to run in high detail while logged in. It always crashed when anonymous.

                      Here's a pair of crash logs (there are two others, the faulting module is always nvwgf2um.dll, Nvida D3D10 drivers):

                      Code:
                      Description
                      Faulting Application Path:	C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Studios.PinballFx2_1.3.0.452_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\PinballFX2.exe
                      
                      Problem signature
                      Problem Event Name:	MoAppCrash
                      Package Full Name:	Microsoft.Studios.PinballFx2_1.3.0.452_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
                      Application Name:	praid:App
                      Application Version:	0.0.0.0
                      Application Timestamp:	5101440d
                      Fault Module Name:	nvwgf2um.dll
                      Fault Module Version:	9.18.13.1407
                      Fault Module Timestamp:	5116d87b
                      Exception Code:	c0000005
                      Exception Offset:	00102660
                      OS Version:	6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.103
                      Locale ID:	1033
                      Additional Information 1:	5861
                      Additional Information 2:	5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
                      Additional Information 3:	f3d5
                      Additional Information 4:	f3d5be0cad2787556264647dc02181c3
                      
                      Extra information about the problem
                      Bucket ID:	d88abfc2e2ed3b4b2a29d7d001cf74f5 (-806327754)
                      Code:
                      Description
                      Faulting Application Path:	C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Studios.PinballFx2_1.3.0.452_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\PinballFX2.exe
                      
                      Problem signature
                      Problem Event Name:	MoAppCrash
                      Package Full Name:	Microsoft.Studios.PinballFx2_1.3.0.452_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
                      Application Name:	praid:App
                      Application Version:	0.0.0.0
                      Application Timestamp:	5101440d
                      Fault Module Name:	nvwgf2um.dll
                      Fault Module Version:	9.18.13.1407
                      Fault Module Timestamp:	5116d87b
                      Exception Code:	c0000005
                      Exception Offset:	00102660
                      OS Version:	6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.103
                      Locale ID:	1033
                      Additional Information 1:	5861
                      Additional Information 2:	5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
                      Additional Information 3:	f3d5
                      Additional Information 4:	f3d5be0cad2787556264647dc02181c3
                      
                      Extra information about the problem
                      Bucket ID:	d88abfc2e2ed3b4b2a29d7d001cf74f5 (-806327754)
                      P.S.: Looking forward to the Star Wars tables!
                      The new GeForce 320.00 BETA driver fixes the problem, finally

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X