No announcement yet.

Is Zen pinball overly easy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt most people will find the majority tables overly easy. When I first downloaded the original Zen Piball, the tables were too challenging and I barely played because of it. It wasn't until I randomly downloaded a few DLC tables that I realized how fun it could be to beat missions and really learn the tables. This was reinforced when Marvel came out and since then I've come to appreciate the work Zen does so much that I'm currently posting on their board like the rest of you guys. PvZ is the easiest table I've played from Zen, but that doesn't take away from it's fun. It has a different appeal then something like Earth Defence. I certainly don't want them to make every table as easy as PvZ, but it's good to have a variety in challenge. To all the pinball masters on here who consistently rank in the top 10 on tables, I apologize you can now double your old scores and sessions are never ending. For the rest of us pinball mortals, we now have a fighting chance of seeing a Wizard mode on a table or two after we put in our weeks of effort and training. I don't see myself beating Ultimo any time in the near future in this "overly easy" update to Zen Pinball.

Comment

Lot's of good replies and opinions here.

A few of you seemed to think I was complaining or saying it sucks when mostly I just wanted to see what others thoughts were on the difficulty. I don't think the game sucks at all... I love it. Been playing non-stop.

I imagine it's a pretty hard job to balance the difficulty when designing these tables. So long as they continue to release the challenging ones as well then I'm good.

I just started playing Street Fighter 2 and it's pretty tough (in a good way). It feels like a real table, like it is trying to steal the quarters out of my pocket. It took me a lot of games just to figure out how to start a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Metalzoic View Post

I just started playing Street Fighter 2 and it's pretty tough (in a good way). It feels like a real table, like it is trying to steal the quarters out of my pocket. It took me a lot of games just to figure out how to start a fight.
        I played SF2 for the first time and my gosh I had a marathon the first time I played the game. Scored 325m and beat my friends scores already. It's the multiball aspect that got me the high scores I think I defeated 4 mission but didn't quite understand how the beat bison.

my comment on the physics didn't necessarily say what my opinions were. I think Zen has done a great balance of easy and difficult tables on the whole. I still find Iron Man, Fear itself, Excalibur, Mars difficult tables.

PvZ is by far the easiest but I think the most difficult to score on. (Or at least most of use have not figured out the table)

I like difficult tables and I continue playing those types of tables. Played Ninja Gaiden for the first time and have no clue about the table. It seems it requires a decent amount of accurate shots. I love tables that require accurate shots.

There is a thread around these forums that had statistics about table difficulty before Avengers chronicles came out. Can't pinpoint where it is but it's quite interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by caper_26 View Post
          Play Tesla or Shaman if you want punishment for missing shots...
          You have to be kidding me...

Comment

Originally posted by tenorhero View Post
            I think I defeated 4 mission but didn't quite understand how the beat bison.
            Hit his head to attack Bison. Avoid hitting his hands or Bison will attack you.

Comment

Good thread, interresting read so far on ideas.

I have to agree to some extend that ZP2 made the majority of the tables a bit more playable for us average ballers. In the past I got realy scared of Epic Quest for example but last night i managed to finish of the final "boss" at the Loot hole wich made me feel good about myself for a minute. Took me about 45 minutes from launching ball 1 till I scratched out fast after finishing the mode.

Same went for Paranormal i played afterwards. I allready loved the theme from back in ZP1 but never managed to hold out long, don't know why but it may had something to do with not understanding the lot of the table back then but had a blast last night on it.

Anyway... For me to have a run of about 30 minutes per table would be more then good if the scores along it are decent as i witnessed on Mars when I played an hour and then realised I didnt even pass the 75M mark...

Comment

Originally posted by M1N0RA View Post
                You have to be kidding me...
                Not at all. I just got about 500M on Tesla, and must have had 50 ball saves from side or center drains. Also, if you miss a shot on Shaman, you better have the right kickback on. Must have used 100 kickbacks on my recent game of Shaman too, around 500M I think...
                Check out my youtube videos for basic pinball strategies: caperUnderscore26

Comment

Great input here, everyone! To those of you who think some tables are too easy: you're right. We purposely put our flippers closer together than real life machines because we want you to have longer games, score more points, drain less and overall, have more fun (especially if you are not a pro pinball player already). I agree with many of you, we do have some tables that are really easy, like PvZ, but I think that is what makes it fun. For me, higher scores and longer games make for less rage quitting... haha! Also, when a table is "easier" it is more accessible to more people. I still get intimidated when I play Iron Man, I just can't get a good flow or a decent score, so I tend to stay away from it. But that is just me!

Comment

Originally posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
                    I still get intimidated when I play Iron Man, I just can't get a good flow or a decent score, so I tend to stay away from it. But that is just me!
                    I made some tips for ironman to help you last longer. If you follow them, you will definitely have a better game.

Comment

Originally posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
                      I still get intimidated when I play Iron Man, I just can't get a good flow or a decent score, so I tend to stay away from it. But that is just me!
                      What's you're highest score on Iron Man?

Comment

The new Shaman on Zen Pin 2 is way harder than it was before even though it looks and plays 100 % better now (multiball), before I was able to start whirlwind juggler real easy and now I'm still trying to figure out an easy way to hit that left saucer on a consistent basis. Don't change it though it is fantastic and the team really did a good job with it.

The thing with Zen that really stands out is the small gap between the flippers, the ability to nudge pass with ease from one flipper to the other, and a generous amount of kickbacks. All in all it is easier than real pinball and I'm an okay player with some decent scores, but to really master these tables takes a lot of practice and patience.
                        Last edited by Crazy Bonus; 09-11-2012, 02:55 AM.
                        Bonus multiplier goes nuts on drains

Comment

yeah, left sinkhole is hard (Red Native Hole)> I find it is easier to hit from a caught/stopped position.

Comment

Originally posted by caper_26 View Post
                            yeah, left sinkhole is hard (Red Native Hole)> I find it is easier to hit from a caught/stopped position.
                            It used to be that way for me with Zen Pinball 1, I'm still working on getting this version to do it for me all the time.
                            Bonus multiplier goes nuts on drains

Comment

Unlikely that it is repeatable. I had a long game the other day and it was something like 1 in 5 that went in. I had less luck trying to hit it with a moving ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Bonus View Post
                                It used to be that way for me with Zen Pinball 1, I'm still working on getting this version to do it for me all the time.
                                Indeed! I'm also trying to figure out the best way to hit those two holes.

Comment

Working...
                                X