Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nudge help/advice needed

I feel I may be missing out on part of the pinball experience:

I use a standard PS3 controller. I mapped the nudge function to the direction buttons rather than the stick as the direction pad sits right under my thumb. I note that using the buttons you only get a full-on hard nudge, but with the stick you can give a small nudge that's not detected by the table

I guess my questions here are:

When should I use nudge; just to jump across to the other flipper, or should I practice with fancy saves or other clever things?
    Should I be using the stick for more control; can I do all the the d'pad I could with the stick?
    Should I just forget nudge; can I get up to the big scorers skill levels without it?
    When do you guys use nudge, if at all?

Like I said: I wouldn't want to miss out if I just need a few pointers and some practice.

Cheers guys.

Originally posted by FourWinds View Post
    I feel I may be missing out on part of the pinball experience:

I use a standard PS3 controller. I mapped the nudge function to the direction buttons rather than the stick as the direction pad sits right under my thumb. I note that using the buttons you only get a full-on hard nudge, but with the stick you can give a small nudge that's not detected by the table

I guess my questions here are:

When should I use nudge; just to jump across to the other flipper, or should I practice with fancy saves or other clever things?
    Should I be using the stick for more control; can I do all the the d'pad I could with the stick?
    Should I just forget nudge; can I get up to the big scorers skill levels without it?
    When do you guys use nudge, if at all?

Like I said: I wouldn't want to miss out if I just need a few pointers and some practice.

Cheers guys.
    I personally use the D-Pad as well. I use nudging for passing the ball from one flipper to the next, death saves, saving the ball from going SDTM (straight down the middle) and occasionally when the ball is bouncing in the jets or bumpers (like on Infinity Gauntlet so I can get more souls collected to start Half of the Universe mode). It just comes down to personal preference with most of it. I don't like using the left stick so it's the D-Pad for me. Just play with it for a while, before you know it you'll be doing all sorts of fancy tricks. Heck, when I first started out, I didn't think I'd ever be able to get a death save, now I get them every game I'd say it's pretty useful to keep a game going, so don't rule it out completely.
    Last edited by snakeman07; 08-22-2012, 10:01 PM. Reason: SDTM

Comment

I use control stick for direction and sensitivity. i can do unlimited 'easy' nudges...
      Check out my youtube videos for basic pinball strategies: caperUnderscore26

Comment

Originally posted by caper_26 View Post
        I use control stick for direction and sensitivity. i can do unlimited 'easy' nudges...
        Ditto! I also use the stick.

Although the D-pad has pressure sensitive buttons. It's hard to perform a light nudge with them.

Comment

I'm stating to consider buying a controller that has the left stick where it should be. Two options it seems:

1. Cheap and nasty non-Sony one for £20ish

2 Wired 360 PC-Pad with a PS3 adaptor for about £50 all in (I have already looked on Amazon)

Damn it.

Cheers for the replies.

P.S. I do wish the Zen people would stop bringing me down by making me think of ten bloody years time!

Comment

I don't understand your problem. You do have a left stick no? Just start using it and practice. You WILL get used to it with use.

Comment

I don't understand your problem. You do have a left stick no? Just start using it and practice. You WILL get used to it with use.
              If you don't understand the problem bud you either don't have a PS3 controller, or your left thumb is attached to your wrist like a dog's dew claw.

Comment

Originally posted by shogun00 View Post
                Ditto! I also use the stick.

Although the D-pad has pressure sensitive buttons. It's hard to perform a light nudge with them.
                This is interesting and new info for me; I had no idea that the d-pad was pressure sensitive. I will play with it to see if I can tune in.

I wonder if it would be possible for Zen to add some sort of d-pad calibration feature for nudging (so that us heavy handed peeps could set it up for our hammering)? That would be very cool.

Comment

This is interesting and new info for me; I had no idea that the d-pad was pressure sensitive. I will play with it to see if I can tune in.

I wonder if it would be possible for Zen to add some sort of d-pad calibration feature for nudging (so that us heavy handed peeps could set it up for our hammering)? That would be very cool.
                  That would be nice.. I'm not good at pressing gently either

Comment

If you don't understand the problem bud you either don't have a PS3 controller, or your left thumb is attached to your wrist like a dog's dew claw.
                    I have a PS3 controller and I don't have any problem with the position of the analog sticks. Then again, I've been using PlayStation controllers for about 15 years so I'm used to it.

Comment

i used to use the d-pad but after i asked here and people recommended me using the stick (i think i have Shogun00 to thank for that advice) i improved a lot
                      you can't do soft nudging (that doesn't activate the table alert) with the d-pad, also the stick give yo more control over the direction of the ball

Comment

I do NOT understand the problem, really, and both those statements are false (I Do have a PS3 controller, and my thumb is NOT on my wrist)

Comment

I do NOT understand the problem, really, and both those statements are false (I Do have a PS3 controller, and my thumb is NOT on my wrist)
                          Hola,

It's like I said in the original post bud: the d-pad sits under my thumb naturally. Because of that, unless I'm nudging to just pass the ball between flippers, I find that I either can't get to the stick in time, or my thumb just hits it on the side. I wind up making a hard right nudge regardless in an emergency. It seems to me that if I am to use the stick I'm gonna need it to be under my thumb when my left hand is in a relaxed and natural position.

I've decided to keep at it with the d-pad for a while, at least until ZP2 is here. I was thinking that perhaps ZP2 may even react differently to d-pad presses. Currently I'm finding it impossible to make an table undetected nudge with the d-pad, and Zen may have looked at that; you never know your luck Half the time currently I don't know when or how to nudge anyway, so I'll wait a while before thinking seriously of buying a different controller.

Comment

i use the right stick , i feel its the best option . when i was a noob i uses the motion sensor that buiilt in as default , but when i read some forums i saw people recommending the sticks and it changed my game greatly for ball saves and flipper passes which are extremely easy now.
                            i don't have a pci use ps3 browser

Comment

Working...
                            X