Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GruffMckenzie
    • Sep 2017

The Instructions

Why is it the instructions on the tables are always only half useful?

It's so important yet they are never that clear.

sorry for the moan, but it's always been a bit of a pain
  • cantankerous--
    Pinball Wizard
    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by GruffMckenzie
    Why is it the instructions on the tables are always only half useful?

It's so important yet they are never that clear.

sorry for the moan, but it's always been a bit of a pain
    Provide an example of a poorly written table guide please. I personally think they are mostly only supposed to provide the general specifics allowing you as the player to figure out a scoring technique.
    Accomplishments in real life

1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
    2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
    3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.
    sigpic

Comment

• ZREXMike
      • May 2019

Code:
      https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthread.php?17355-Official-Pinball-Table-Guides
      This should fix you up. If not i feel bad for you.

Comment

• GruffMckenzie
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cantankerous--
        Provide an example of a poorly written table guide please. I personally think they are mostly only supposed to provide the general specifics allowing you as the player to figure out a scoring technique.
        Originally posted by ZREXMike
        Code:
        https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthread.php?17355-Official-Pinball-Table-Guides
        This should fix you up. If not i feel bad for you.
        That's kinda the point!
        I use the guides already. They are great. The fact that there is a need for them in the first place suggests that the rules are none too explanatory.

So by poorly written I mean "a general specific"

In game I can't just flick to the rules and find the detailed explanation.

Comment

• gundamme1ster
          • Jun 2014

I've often wondered why Zen put so much love and care into every aspect of their tables except for this. It's like nobody can be remotely bothered with it. "Here's this absolutely wonderful game with a very deep rule-set, now you go figure out how to play it". It doesn't take much of a look at the Pinball Arcade rulesets to see how it needs to be done. Break it down into basic chunks and targets and then show how those are achieved. if they wanted to keep discoverable secrets from the players then that's still easily done.

I recall getting the Bethesda tables when they dropped and ... not having a clue what to do with them. It's all very well saying "look at Shouryoko's guides but they aren't written for several months later. I don't personally want to be scrabbling around working out how these weird things unlock, I want to know what I'm shooting for and then try to achieve it. I did lose interest in these tables more quickly - at the time - thanks to that (and they are wonderful, wonderful tables). Just ... write a guide, dammit.

Comment

• DMR140
            • May 2019

The screenshot with the blinking arrows give a lot of context to what’s written. Also, some terms may be more clear when you’ve played the table a couple of times.

I’m happy that the table guides are short and to the point. For more detailed guides, there’s a lot to find online.

I do think some information should be more up front like how to get an extra ball, kickbacks, skillshot and multiball. That should always be the info on the first slides. Some tables have like twenty slides and it takes me way too long to find the basic info I’m looking for.
            Last edited by DMR140; 07-25-2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• ShoryukenToTheChin
              Writer of Guides
              • Apr 2011

All I can say is I will keep trying to provide detailed guides for the tables as & when Zen Studios releases them. I do try to get them out quick as possible, but sometimes due to various circumstances delays are an inevitable outcome. As the tables become more & more complex, so to does the guides, in that I need to do more research and write out a lot more detail. The DVR (Digital Video Recording) capabilities of current generation consoles like the PS4 & Xbox One, has made the process faster for sure.

In saying all this, most games nowadays don't even come with manuals & we need to search online for guides & what not.
              sigpic

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
              Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
              *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

Comment

• DMR140
                • May 2019

Originally posted by ShoryukenToTheChin
                All I can say is I will keep trying to provide detailed guides for the tables as & when Zen Studios releases them. I do try to get them out quick as possible, but sometimes due to various circumstances delays are an inevitable outcome. As the tables become more & more complex, so to does the guides, in that I need to do more research and write out a lot more detail. The DVR (Digital Video Recording) capabilities of current generation consoles like the PS4 & Xbox One, has made the process faster for sure.

In saying all this, most games nowadays don't even come with manuals & we need to search online for guides & what not.
                Doing God’s work. Thank you.

Comment

• gundamme1ster
                  • Jun 2014

Your guides are legendarily good and I'm pretty sure all of us Zen pinball players are appreciative of the work that you put into these.

IMO Zen should be hiring and paying you to do this for them so that they release when the games do. That's the only issue I have personally - Whatever delay there is, is absolutely no fault of yours!

Comment

• GruffMckenzie
                    • Sep 2017

I have thanked you for your guides elsewhere, amazing stuff and without them I my pinball life would be much more frustrating, so thank you yet again.
                    My OP was nothing against anything you do!

But as I said, the fact that you need to do all the work suggests things could be clearer in game. And It's what we love about pinball (Zen or otherwise) that the tables can contain so much depth.

Originally posted by DMR140
                    The screenshot with the blinking arrows give a lot of context to what’s written. Also, some terms may be more clear when you’ve played the table a couple of times.

I’m happy that the table guides are short and to the point. For more detailed guides, there’s a lot to find online.

I do think some information should be more up front like how to get an extra ball, kickbacks, skillshot and multiball. That should always be the info on the first slides. Some tables have like twenty slides and it takes me way too long to find the basic info I’m looking for.
                    Thanks for the reply, just so you know, I'm not asking as some ill informed noob. I get how they work And as a fairly seasoned player I can start to work out stuff pretty quickly, I just feel that it could be a little clearer at times.

I didn't mean to overstate it.

Comment

• ShoryukenToTheChin
                      Writer of Guides
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by DMR140
                      Doing God’s work. Thank you.
                      You're welcome as always.

Originally posted by gundamme1ster
                      Your guides are legendarily good and I'm pretty sure all of us Zen pinball players are appreciative of the work that you put into these.

IMO Zen should be hiring and paying you to do this for them so that they release when the games do. That's the only issue I have personally - Whatever delay there is, is absolutely no fault of yours!
                      Thanks, its heartwarming to hear such love from yourself & the community.

I will always be thankful to Zen Studios for allowing me the opportunity to put together the guides, because trust me without their support they wouldn't be possible.

Originally posted by GruffMckenzie
                      I have thanked you for your guides elsewhere, amazing stuff and without them I my pinball life would be much more frustrating, so thank you yet again.
                      My OP was nothing against anything you do!

But as I said, the fact that you need to do all the work suggests things could be clearer in game. And It's what we love about pinball (Zen or otherwise) that the tables can contain so much depth.
                      Well I will say "you're welcome." yet again then . Oh trust me I know your OP had nothing against me. I just merely wanted to chime in my two cents, nothing more.
                      sigpic

PSN = SrkToTheChin
                      Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Comment

• cantankerous--
                        Pinball Wizard
                        • Nov 2016

Hey Shoryuken

Since you did the guides. I've been searching and been unable to find any examples. What is the max combo you can get in star wars: Rogue one? I have accomplished a super combo, but do they go further?

1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
                        3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.
                        sigpic

Comment

• ShoryukenToTheChin
                          Writer of Guides
                          • Apr 2011

Since you did the guides. I've been searching and been unable to find any examples. What is the max combo you can get in star wars: Rogue one? I have accomplished a super combo, but do they go further?
                          If I remember correctly most combos max out at Super Combo usually at 1 Million Points, and any subsequent shot/s continuing the Combo will award 1 Million Points.
                          sigpic

PSN = SrkToTheChin
                          Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Comment

• cantankerous--
                            Pinball Wizard
                            • Nov 2016

If I remember correctly most combos max out at Super Combo usually at 1 Million Points, and any subsequent shot/s continuing the Combo will award 1 Million Points.
                            it goes 3 way combo, 4 way, 5 way, 6 way, Super at 7, but wasn't sure if it continued.

sigpic

Comment

• ShoryukenToTheChin
                              Writer of Guides
                              • Apr 2011

it goes 3 way combo, 4 way, 5 way, 6 way, Super at 7, but wasn't sure if it continued.
                              TBH I haven't played that table in a while. So, its a guess on my part.
                              sigpic

PSN = SrkToTheChin
                              Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Comment

Working...