Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constant Tilt, Danger on Nexus 7

Hi,

Just in the last few days it has become almost impossible to play any tables because of "Tilt!" and "danger" penalties that stop the game or the flippers. Until now I hadn't even experienced the "Tilt" penalty once, but now it's happening every couple of minutes or more. Sometimes the screen appears to jerk of its own accord, other times there's no obvious reason for the penalty. I am playing with the tablet hand-held but no differently than before.

Is this maybe some sort of hardware error? I haven't seen anyone else suddenly having the same issue. Thanks.

Are you maybe tapping the top third of the screen? You get small left/right nudges there.

Or maybe you increased the "nudge sensitivity" in the settings?

Comment

We changed the nudge a bit: Tapping the top left or top right part of the screen will nudge the table left and right respectively. The sensor area is the top one-third part of the screen. The old functionality still works (nudging the device itself).

Comment

Originally posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
        We changed the nudge a bit: Tapping the top left or top right part of the screen will nudge the table left and right respectively. The sensor area is the top one-third part of the screen. The old functionality still works (nudging the device itself).

Thanks, and also to the previous poster. That's my problem alright. I have been using the device outside of the case in recent days too, which makes it much easier to hit the wrong part of the screen by accident. What a nuisance.

I didn't even know I had "nudge settings" but have since set that to the minimum. It seems to make no difference. The slightest touch in the wrong place and the table behaves as if it had been kicked. Still, at least I know.

Comment

Also this is an issue on the Note 2

Hihi

This update has made the game unplayable for my big adult hands and the note 2, which is all the more irritating as I recently bought all the remaining tables... (well, almost all, four new ones have now appeared)

The tilt sensitivity option seems to have zero effect, given tilting is blatant cheating perhaps some option to turn it off altogether or at least an option to toggle the touchscreen functionality between old and new behaviour?

Thanks

--
          Adam

Comment

Reading all the negative comments regarding the new touch nudge mechanic, I thought I would add my own opinion. I must admit I don't have an Android device but I play on the iPad and touch to nudge was just added to the ZP iOS app as well. I think the new nudge mechanic is an improvement. Left and right nudging was a dodgy at best using the accelerometer/gyroscope. Now, one of the most basic and fundamental pinball tricks is easy to perform, the slap save. Also, diverting the ball away from the outlane is now more reliable.

I have large hands and have no problem with the location or size of the nudge sensitive areas on the iPad in either landscape or portrait orientations. I occasionally I cause an accidental nudge if I try to pause the game or change the camera view but I have never tilted because of this. I haven't played on a phone so it may be problematic but I couldn't say one way or another.

Now if we could only find a better solution for the up nudge. It is still unwise to perform a nudge pass or bang back (if you expect a large EOB) because the risk of tilting with no tilt warnings, or in the case of the nudge pass, you try to nudge and nothing happens resulting in a drain.

Comment

Originally posted by surf1der View Post
              Reading all the negative comments regarding the new touch nudge mechanic, I thought I would add my own opinion. I must admit I don't have an Android device but I play on the iPad and touch to nudge was just added to the ZP iOS app as well. I think the new nudge mechanic is an improvement. Left and right nudging was a dodgy at best using the accelerometer/gyroscope. Now, one of the most basic and fundamental pinball tricks is easy to perform, the slap save. Also, diverting the ball away from the outlane is now more reliable.

I have large hands and have no problem with the location or size of the nudge sensitive areas on the iPad in either landscape or portrait orientations. I occasionally I cause an accidental nudge if I try to pause the game or change the camera view but I have never tilted because of this. I haven't played on a phone so it may be problematic but I couldn't say one way or another.

Now if we could only find a better solution for the up nudge. It is still unwise to perform a nudge pass or bang back (if you expect a large EOB) because the risk of tilting with no tilt warnings, or in the case of the nudge pass, you try to nudge and nothing happens resulting in a drain.
              Yes, I am sure lots of users will be happy with the new developments. I'm not complaining, just observing that at least for now, I'm not one of them. I'm also not a fanatical pinball player in real life; I haven't even seen a pinball table for years, and being less than competent I doubt I could afford to play for any length of time anyway. For me, digital pinball is a cheap and relaxing entertainment, as well as being uniquely fascinating - the most intricate and beautiful of all mechanical games, playing in a purely virtual digital environment. It would be nice to get billions of points but that's so unlikely, I'm not thinking about it.

I think that's the issue here: enthusiasts probably love extra options but beginners and the generally ham-fisted probably won't, unless we're educated. I have no idea what "bang backs" and "slap saves" are. Maybe I need to be shown the benefits of nudging and tilting, without being condescended to. Any software that has a wide user base should be designed and documented for everyone, or at least, a reasonable cross-section. Perhaps that side of things is still a work in progress here.

Comment

Unplayable on Asus Transformer

Originally posted by BarbieBobomb View Post

I have an Asus Transformer and this modification has made the game unplayable. As best I can tell, it is affecting the top third of the screen, if it was being heald vertically, but the game is played with the screen heald horizontally (vertically, half of the table is not visible). Because of this, nearly every tap of the left flipper causes a nudge and the table tilts repeatedly.

How can I return to the old version of the game so I can play it again?

Comment

Working...
                X