Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keyboard Controls

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Keyboard Controls

    I recently obtained a BT Keyboard, and have just tried it with Zen Pinball HD.

    In-game Control Results and Observations:

    Left flipper = Left shift.
    Right flipper = should be Right Shift, but right flippers are locked on.
    Launch ball = Enter key, but the sensitivity is waaay too fast.
    Suggestion - let the arrow keys set the plunger strength, and the enter key release
    the plunger at the selected plunge strength.
    Tick button/special feature button = Enter key.
    End of ball bonus = Enter key to fast-forward the bonus tally.
    Left tilt / right tilt / upwards nudge = no way of mapping to a keystroke
    View change = Doesn't seem to have a mapped key.
    Menu = Doesn't seem to have a mapped key.

    Menu Navigation Control Results and Observations:

    Up/Down/Left/Right = Navigates the table grid, and menu options. This is really nicely
    implemented, guys.
    Enter key = Confirms highlighted selection.

    Keyboard Mapping Results and Observations

    Unfortunately there is no way to alter the button mapping and re-assign buttons from within the game, and without rooting your device. I had to resort to using USB/BT Joystick Center to override the sticky right flipper button issue and use the 'z' and '/' keys to flip. To do this, I had to enable Joy2Touch mode in this app so I could map keystrokes to screen touches (which requires root).

    I also mapped the CTRL key to the on-screen menu button. To me, CTRL means you are controlling the game menu, which is why I chose this button. Also, compact keyboards don't usually have a Pause|Break key readily accessible, so selecting this key by default would be a mistake for wider compatibility.

    I mapped the ALT key to the view control on-screen button. Again, this is a common key on all keyboards, and ensures compatibility across all keyboards.

    Summary

    Are there any plans to provide keyboard and controller support with more fine-grained button assignments in the future?

  • #2
    Originally posted by jaredmorgs View Post

    Are there any plans to provide keyboard and controller support with more fine-grained button assignments in the future?
    Not that I am aware of right now, but we've had a TON of requests for controller support

    Comment


    • #3
      Please pass on request to be able to use a reg game controller (like a ps3 ds or an xbox controller) with nudging mapped to one of the analog sticks...i dont know if thats a possibility with android or what needs to be done for that...but if its possible...there will be many happy people. I have a great idea to make a mini pin cab for my tab...and from what i see around the net...a lot of people are making mods for mini cabs!

      (i know ive made a subtle request in a few posts Barbie, hope im not irritating you, lol )

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MarkItZeroSmoky View Post
        Please pass on request to be able to use a reg game controller (like a ps3 ds or an xbox controller) with nudging mapped to one of the analog sticks...i dont know if thats a possibility with android or what needs to be done for that...but if its possible...there will be many happy people. I have a great idea to make a mini pin cab for my tab...and from what i see around the net...a lot of people are making mods for mini cabs!

        (i know ive made a subtle request in a few posts Barbie, hope im not irritating you, lol )
        Haha of course not, that's what I'm here for

        I'm not sure if that's possible but it would be RAD!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
          Not that I am aware of right now, but we've had a TON of requests for controller support
          Is there a bug in the current basic controller scheme that would be causing the flipper to remain locked on, Barbie?

          The BT Keyboard I'm using is a generic no-name brand (so not a Logitech-type brand), so I assume this is why I'm seeing variable results with this particular keyboard.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MarkItZeroSmoky View Post
            Please pass on request to be able to use a reg game controller (like a ps3 ds or an xbox controller) with nudging mapped to one of the analog sticks...i dont know if thats a possibility with android or what needs to be done for that...but if its possible...there will be many happy people.
            +1 for nudging via native controller support please.
            My preference would be nudging via the left side general D-pad (left, up, right).

            This would be awesome.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jaredmorgs View Post
              Is there a bug in the current basic controller scheme that would be causing the flipper to remain locked on, Barbie?

              The BT Keyboard I'm using is a generic no-name brand (so not a Logitech-type brand), so I assume this is why I'm seeing variable results with this particular keyboard.
              Not that I'm aware of. Do you have any other keyboards you could swap out to check and see if that is the case?

              Comment


              • #8
                Like I said in another thread,

                ICS has unified game controller support baked in. The Gamestop tablet controller works fine with this game.

                The menu and view butions are mapped. I believe only tilt is not mapped (or I haven't found it yet). If tilting is assigned to the systems gyro sensors then it should not be automatically mapped by the OS. The development team would have to add code to accomplish mapping to a joystick or any other bution, I am assuming.

                To be honest, I am not in favor of having it mapped. Call me old school I guess.

                and I have not run into any bug causing locking flippers.
                Last edited by RicoWorldPeace; 04-11-2013, 02:41 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RicoWorldPeace View Post
                  To be honest, I am not in favor of having it mapped. Call me old school I guess.
                  Why would you not want an option to have controller nudging?
                  You wouldn't have to use it if implemented.
                  More options the better for me.

                  Controller nudging would absolutely make this game awesome (it's incredibly good anyway BTW).

                  I can't see a problem with mapping the nudging. The Pinball Arcade, have an option in the menu to switch between touchscreen nudge, or using the device accelerometers. If they can make it work, I'm sure Zen can.
                  Last edited by Nik Barbour; 04-11-2013, 08:29 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
                    Not that I'm aware of. Do you have any other keyboards you could swap out to check and see if that is the case?
                    Worked out what the issue was. The keyboard firmware devs took a shortcut and made the left and right shift key a single mapped event (not separate).

                    Cheapskates...

                    Will be getting a Microsoft BT keyboard soon, so this problem should not happen in the future.
                    Last edited by jaredmorgs; 04-12-2013, 01:42 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Nik Barbour View Post
                      Why would you not want an option to have controller nudging?
                      You wouldn't have to use it if implemented.
                      More options the better for me.

                      Controller nudging would absolutely make this game awesome (it's incredibly good anyway BTW).

                      I can't see a problem with mapping the nudging. The Pinball Arcade, have an option in the menu to switch between touchscreen nudge, or using the device accelerometers. If they can make it work, I'm sure Zen can.
                      Touch screen nudging is great for controller to touchscreen mapping. I would like this in.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jaredmorgs View Post
                        Touch screen nudging is great for controller to touchscreen mapping. I would like this in.
                        That exactly how I use it too!

                        Pinball Arcade on a Nexus 7 with a ps3 controller (Sixaxis app) = a lot of fun.
                        I'd love to be able to do it with Zen also!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Just noticed Zen has actually got touchscreen nudging on Android.

                          I could have sworn it wasn't there recently, and I haven't had an update since Fear Itself & others. But it works just like in the Pinball Arcade now.

                          Don't know if this was linked, but I installed greenify app today (suppresses apps until called upon, speeding up device... https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sfeng.greenify )

                          During setting this up, it informed me Zen was running in the background, despite not showing under the multitask Navbar button. Killed Zen with greenify, then suddenly noticed I have simultaneous accelerometer and touchscreen nudging.

                          Very happy with this - got my ps3 controller mapped up through 'Sixaxis' app and it plays beautifully.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Nik Barbour View Post
                            Just noticed Zen has actually got touchscreen nudging on Android.

                            I could have sworn it wasn't there recently, and I haven't had an update since Fear Itself & others.
                            It came with the last update and table additions Glad you like it!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
                              It came with the last update and table additions Glad you like it!
                              It's awesome - I really appreciate this feature being added.
                              Thanks to everyone.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X