Thread: Patch notes for today's update for cabinet support

Default Patch notes for today's update for cabinet support

For today's update we have added cabinet support (new ‘cabinet’ icon on the bottom menu bar)
    - The screen orientation setting has been relocated to the cabinet panel in the Settings screen.
    - External dot-matrix display & backglass window support.
    - In order to access the cabinet features, new users are now required to register for a Personal Activation Code for FREE.

Windowed & borderless windowed mode:
    - Accessible in-game in the graphics settings menu, or with the following command line parameters :
    “-fullscreen” - Start the game in fullscreen mode.
    “-borderless” - Start the game in borderless windowed mode.
    “-window” or “-windowed” - Start the game in windowed mode.
    “-resolution=<width>x<height>” - Start the game in the given resolution. (Ignored in borderless mode. In fullscreen mode if unsupported resolution is supplied, the default resolution is used instead.)

- Fixed an issue where nudging the table by simultaneously pressing multiple nudge keys on the keyboard resulted in unfairly powerful nudges.

Have fun and please let me know if you have any trouble!

I just loaded up the game to do some filming...and the dmd was way off...I was scratching my head wondering what could have gone wrong then I saw this little icon at the bottom saying cab support. Obviously a bit puzzled, I logged onto here and saw this thread. Was a pleasant suprise.

Clicked on cab support, put in a few numbers and just like magic the dmd aligned perfectly. You can see it adjust in real time. Gotta say, that's brilliant.

Just a couple of things...how do you register and is it needed, as I haven't registered and was able to make adjustments etc.

Also, regarding backglass...is that for a third monitor?

And is there more in depth info on this?

Thanks in advance. This is really good going. Makes so much difference to gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    I just loaded up the game to do some filming...and the dmd was way off...I was scratching my head wondering what could have gone wrong then I saw this little icon at the bottom saying cab support. Obviously a bit puzzled, I logged onto here and saw this thread. Was a pleasant suprise.

Clicked on cab support, put in a few numbers and just like magic the dmd aligned perfectly. You can see it adjust in real time. Gotta say, that's brilliant.

Just a couple of things...how do you register and is it needed, as I haven't registered and was able to make adjustments etc.

Also, regarding backglass...is that for a third monitor?

And is there more in depth info on this?

Thanks in advance. This is really good going. Makes so much difference to gameplay.
    Registration is needed only for new players. Those who had the game before the patch have access to all cabinet features.

The backglass window can be placed onto a third monitor or the second monitor along with the DMD, up to the players. Dot-matrix will always be rendered to be in front of the backglass window (so that it remains visible even if they share one display)

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    Registration is needed only for new players. Those who had the game before the patch have access to all cabinet features.

The backglass window can be placed onto a third monitor or the second monitor along with the DMD, up to the players. Dot-matrix will always be rendered to be in front of the backglass window (so that it remains visible even if they share one display)
    Well that sounds pretty good. Will have some free time this weekend to try and set everything up...fingers crossed

NICE.
    Finally something for cab people.
    Can we expect more to come?
    - universal controller support (for plunger and nudge controllers)
    - real DMD support (pindmd)
    - whatever

Quote Originally Posted by mpad View Post
    NICE.
    Finally something for cab people.
    Can we expect more to come?
    - universal controller support (for plunger and nudge controllers)
    - real DMD support (pindmd)
    - whatever
    Probably more to come - though these were the big changes we've been wanting to make for a while. Will post if we have more.
    Last edited by BarbieBobomb; 09-24-2015 at 06:19 PM.

Default Cabinet Support

Probably more to come - though these were the big changes we've been wanting to make for a while. Will post if we have more.
    Thanks, Barbie. I got the cabinet support to work natively with both Backglass and DMD. It's awesome! Thanks to all of you at Zen Studios.

Question though: It looks like we have to supply our own backglass images. Do you know if Zen will provide some official backglass images for all the tables? It would be cool if they were automatically patched in.

Thanks again!

- Fixed an issue where nudging the table by simultaneously pressing multiple nudge keys on the keyboard resulted in unfairly powerful nudges.
    Hey !! I don't believe it ! I really want to thank you specialy for that point ! Another proof (if any were needed) that you're listening to the players. You're simply the best.
    French fans forum : www.LUPsClub.com

Cool, thanks barbie.
    And thanks to the team.

Default Eventually getting there 😄

Thank you guys now just supply some animated backglass to go with this and bingo we have some proper goodness 👍

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

As for backglass images, I will have to ask and let you know

Hi Barbie. Hope this ain't a daft question...but I'll ask anyway.

Re: the backglass images...I haven't tried this on a 3 monitor setup yet, and only tried it with the main playfield and dmd monitor. With the 3rd monitor setup and going off earlier posts, do images not show on this monitor or change with the game? Apologies...just a little confused.

Awesome. Just tested it - works great on my cab. Backglass support runs much smoother now.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by HapHzrd View Post
    Thanks, Barbie. I got the cabinet support to work natively with both Backglass and DMD. It's awesome! Thanks to all of you at Zen Studios.

Question though: It looks like we have to supply our own backglass images. Do you know if Zen will provide some official backglass images for all the tables? It would be cool if they were automatically patched in.

Thanks again!
    We don't have any official images planned for this - but if we did, what would you like to see? We thought at least one Pinball FX2 branded image would do the trick for this, but let me know if you have other suggestions

Hi Barbie. Hope this ain't a daft question...but I'll ask anyway.

Re: the backglass images...I haven't tried this on a 3 monitor setup yet, and only tried it with the main playfield and dmd monitor. With the 3rd monitor setup and going off earlier posts, do images not show on this monitor or change with the game? Apologies...just a little confused.
    I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but players are able to independently set up the three render windows (main game – DMD – backglass), so that they appear on whichever display they want. If the backglass window is placed on the third monitor, it will be there and that is it – the game will not override it with anything else. If there is a backglass image for the table being loaded, it will appear there from that point. Let me know if that doesn't answer your question or if I just confused you more
    Last edited by BarbieBobomb; 09-25-2015 at 03:59 PM.

Thumbs up

We don't have any official images planned for this - but if we did, what would you like to see? We thought at least one Pinball FX2 branded image would do the trick for this, but let me know if you have other suggestions

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but players are able to independently set up the three render windows (main game – DMD – backglass), so that they appear on whichever display they want. If the backglass window is placed on the third monitor, it will be there and that is it – the game will not override it with anything else. If there is a backglass image for the table being loaded, it will appear there from that point. Let me know if that doesn't answer your question or if I just confused you more
    I think what I was trying to say was...if you're using the 3 monitor setup...everytime you load a different game, does the backglass automatically change to show the relevant game? At present I have a USB stick in the monitor and manually change the image...so I'm wondering if now, with cab support, this will be automatic and each game loads with its own backglass design.

Hope I've explained it better that time. Thanks for your time.

Looking forward to trying this.

Does it adjust the playfield camera at all or is it the same portrait cameras we've been using? Does it remove the unnecessary camera zooms and pans (shooter lane, upper flippers, mini-playfields that are on the playfield and not in mythical off-screen areas, etc)?

What I would love to see for the backglass art, is to reuse the scrolling artwork from the background of the menus for the table..its already created, its animated, Its Gorgeous! and unique for each table. It just needs the table logo to float on top somewhere and a standard speakergrill overlay at the bottom

Default Patch notes for today's update for cabinet support

Quote Originally Posted by Roo5676 View Post
    Looking forward to trying this.

Does it adjust the playfield camera at all or is it the same portrait cameras we've been using? Does it remove the unnecessary camera zooms and pans (shooter lane, upper flippers, mini-playfields that are on the playfield and not in mythical off-screen areas, etc)?
    + 1
    That would be good!
    And a freely configurable controler or VPlunger support.

Everything else was already possible before with a little work, so not much to gain for the advanced cab user.

And barbie you should check the backglas images that are already out there
    http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/tabl..._sweet_pinball

Beautiful stuff!

@Barbie...

Ok...sorted it. It took a while to suss everything out, but I've finally sorted it.

I didn't realise that you had to place your own images into the relevant folder. Anyhow, I've managed to source some images and I'm slowly editing them with titles etc. Works great. Now when the game loads, each table has its own backglass which changes when you select the different games.

This is a great addition to the game and once setup it really adds to the realism.

One issue I had, was that I'm using a 3 monitor setup and originally I needed to input a -sign into the setup. Because I don't have a numerical pad there was no way to do this (for some reason Im led to believe it only allows the -sign from the numerical pad, not the main keyboard). Luckily I realised that Nvidia allowed me to reposition the monitor in the setup so i moved everything into a positive position which took away the need for -figures. This maybe an issue for others perhaps.

Anyhow, great addition to the game...most impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodydrake View Post
    What I would love to see for the backglass art, is to reuse the scrolling artwork from the background of the menus for the table..its already created, its animated, Its Gorgeous! and unique for each table. It just needs the table logo to float on top somewhere and a standard speakergrill overlay at the bottom
    Make that an optional speakergrill overlay at the bottom please. 2-screen cabs do look good with an speaker grill overlay, everything 3-screen or 2-screen + DMD already has an real speaker grill and doesn't need another.
    On 3-screen cabs backglass art with an speaker grill on it looks... not so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Cheddar View Post
    Make that an optional speakergrill overlay at the bottom please. 2-screen cabs do look good with an speaker grill overlay, everything 3-screen or 2-screen + DMD already has an real speaker grill and doesn't need another.
    On 3-screen cabs backglass art with an speaker grill on it looks... not so good.
    your right, I should have said an optional grill..if you only have a 2 screen setup

but you agree about the animated menu background art being a good choice for the backglass?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodydrake View Post
    but you agree about the animated menu background art being a good choice for the backglass?
    I fully agree. I'm even using them at the moment, they all work great for that purpose, Butters maybe looks a bit bland.

Sadly the Pinball FX2-Backgrounds are only available up to Castle Storm/Wild West Rampage on the net. The newer ones I haven't found anywhere.

@Barbie:
    Would it perhaps be possible to release those menu background pictures officially? Added benefit: They are great desktop backgrounds.

I think what I was trying to say was...if you're using the 3 monitor setup...everytime you load a different game, does the backglass automatically change to show the relevant game? At present I have a USB stick in the monitor and manually change the image...so I'm wondering if now, with cab support, this will be automatic and each game loads with its own backglass design.

Hope I've explained it better that time. Thanks for your time.
    The game automatically loads a different image for each table. The images are not included in the game, users have to provide them.
    The backglass window displays the file path if the image is missing. The folder is the games data folder (c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pinball FX2\data_steam), there are the table files (*.pxp). The images name must be the same as the tables’, with a different extension (supported extensions : .bmp, .gif, .png, .jpg, .jpeg).

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Cheddar View Post
    I fully agree. I'm even using them at the moment, they all work great for that purpose, Butters maybe looks a bit bland.

Sadly the Pinball FX2-Backgrounds are only available up to Castle Storm/Wild West Rampage on the net. The newer ones I haven't found anywhere.

@Barbie:
    Would it perhaps be possible to release those menu background pictures officially? Added benefit: They are great desktop backgrounds.
    Like I said above, we don't have plans to release anything like this officially (at least no plan at the moment). The only assets we have available publicly at the moment are all available on our press page: http://blog.zenstudios.com/press/

The game automatically loads a different image for each table. The images are not included in the game, users have to provide them.
    The backglass window displays the file path if the image is missing. The folder is the games data folder (c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pinball FX2\data_steam), there are the table files (*.pxp). The images name must be the same as the tables’, with a different extension (supported extensions : .bmp, .gif, .png, .jpg, .jpeg).

Hope that helps!
    Hi Barbie...

No worries...I eventually sussed it out. And your press images are a good place to start for creating your own images...but it'd be great if there were a few more

Ive been filming my cabinet build and just recently filmed setting up Zen's cabinet support. Ive placed a link for you on here if you're interested. Cab support is a great addition and really adds to the whole experience.

Big thanks to Zen!
    https://youtu.be/6B1PiqRPUp0

Hi Barbie...

No worries...I eventually sussed it out. And your press images are a good place to start for creating your own images...but it'd be great if there were a few more

Ive been filming my cabinet build and just recently filmed setting up Zen's cabinet support. Ive placed a link for you on here if you're interested. Cab support is a great addition and really adds to the whole experience.

Big thanks to Zen!
    https://youtu.be/6B1PiqRPUp0
    thanks you for post link youtube

Just had to post a shout out to Zen for this update! Since implementing the dmd and back glass support I find myself playing this game much more frequently. Each time I come back to it, I wonder why I stopped playing. While I enjoy the realism of The Pinball Arcade (and their graphics have improved a lot with the Dx11 update) they can't match the depth and "fun factor" of these Zen original tables. I'm really glad they both exist but for shear fun, these tables can't be beat!

Thanks for supporting those of us with cabinet setups! I know there is a lot of work involved and it probably doesn't add a lot to the bottom line profits like mobile does but it sure does gain you a lot of good will in the cabinet community! Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by priested View Post
    Just had to post a shout out to Zen for this update! Since implementing the dmd and back glass support I find myself playing this game much more frequently. Each time I come back to it, I wonder why I stopped playing. While I enjoy the realism of The Pinball Arcade (and their graphics have improved a lot with the Dx11 update) they can't match the depth and "fun factor" of these Zen original tables. I'm really glad they both exist but for shear fun, these tables can't be beat!

Thanks for supporting those of us with cabinet setups! I know there is a lot of work involved and it probably doesn't add a lot to the bottom line profits like mobile does but it sure does gain you a lot of good will in the cabinet community! Thanks again!!
    Thanks for your support! Glad we could finally add some cab features

Just awesome !

Definitly I have to build one !
    French fans forum : www.LUPsClub.com

Default Video Backglasses

Thanks!

Please allow video backglass support (like .mp4s instead of just still images). See: Namsan's awesome work here https://drive.google.com/folderview?...2VhdnZZNVgzTVk

Talking

I've wanted cabinet support for so long. Thank you! thank you!!! Can't wait to try it

Default Help needed pls

Hi guys just wandering if anyone can help with the backglass/dmd setup ? I have put all backglass artwork in c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pinball FX2\data_steam folder,then started the game paused it and gone into the cabinet settings but nothing is showing on my second monitor not even the dmd .I have pinball arcade running fine on both playfield and backglass with forum member noex mod and plays perfect .does anyone know if i have missed something out ? would really appreciate it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KINETIK View Post
    Hi guys just wandering if anyone can help with the backglass/dmd setup ? I have put all backglass artwork in c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pinball FX2\data_steam folder,then started the game paused it and gone into the cabinet settings but nothing is showing on my second monitor not even the dmd .I have pinball arcade running fine on both playfield and backglass with forum member noex mod and plays perfect .does anyone know if i have missed something out ? would really appreciate it

Thanks
    Not sure if you've sussed it out yet, but I put a video link in this forum somewhere that may help. I find that placing a value of 10000 into the dmd or backglass size helps. Of course, the image is way too big, but at least it helps to find it...then it's just a case of fine tuning to get it to fit. I also found that depending on how your screens are set, some figures can require a minus sign before them. I had to go and buy a keyboard with the numerical pad on, as the minus sign would input only from the numerical keypad and not the main keyboard.

Default Backglass not showing up !

Hi,I get the dmd show up on my cab second monitor but not the backglass?. I have renamed the files all correctly but I only have my original image on my second monitor appear. If I change the values it changes the size of that image.

I have got my second monitor extended in windows settings as I need it this way to run Future Pinball. I am not bothered about running animated backglasses.
    Any Info would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegooner123 View Post
    Hi,I get the dmd show up on my cab second monitor but not the backglass?. I have renamed the files all correctly but I only have my original image on my second monitor appear. If I change the values it changes the size of that image.

I have got my second monitor extended in windows settings as I need it this way to run Future Pinball. I am not bothered about running animated backglasses.
    Any Info would be much appreciated.
    Here's some info on backglass setup - welcome to the forums, btw

Setting up the back glass render window:
    - Enter the Settings|Cabinet Support screen
    - Ensure that "Back glass repositioning" is turned on. (https:\\download.zenstudios.com\_Il_d65_PFX2_Back glass_HowTo_lKD8dH\PFX2_Cabinet_Settings.png)
    - Adjust the position and size values, so that this separate window fits your designated screen.
    Setting up images for the back glass:
    The game tries to automatically load a separate image for each table. These images are not included in the game.
    The backglass window displays the file path if the image is missing.
    The folder is the game's data folder, by default it is "c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pinball FX2\data_steam".
    There are table files with the "pxp" extension in this folder. An image's filename must be the same as the table's on which the image is supposed to appear for, but with a different extension (supported extensions : .bmp, .gif, .png, .jpg, ..jpeg).

Here's some info on backglass setup - welcome to the forums, btw

Setting up the back glass render window:
    - Enter the Settings|Cabinet Support screen
    - Ensure that "Back glass repositioning" is turned on. (https:\\download.zenstudios.com\_Il_d65_PFX2_Back glass_HowTo_lKD8dH\PFX2_Cabinet_Settings.png)
    - Adjust the position and size values, so that this separate window fits your designated screen.
    Setting up images for the back glass:
    The game tries to automatically load a separate image for each table. These images are not included in the game.
    The backglass window displays the file path if the image is missing.
    The folder is the game's data folder, by default it is "c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pinball FX2\data_steam".
    There are table files with the "pxp" extension in this folder. An image's filename must be the same as the table's on which the image is supposed to appear for, but with a different extension (supported extensions : .bmp, .gif, .png, .jpg, ..jpeg).

Many Thanks for your helpful reply but I have followed your guide & I can only still get up the DMD?!
    I think its something to do with extending my backglass monitor in windows but I dont want to change this as It might mess up my Future Pinball & Visual Pinball setup.
    Regards Steve