Thread: Pinball FX2 VR for Oculus Rift Available Now!

Default Pinball FX2 VR for Oculus Rift Available Now!

Pinball FX2 VR is now available for Oculus Rift! See our blog post for more info and a trailer!

But .. but we want new tables... not VR rehash.

Quote Originally Posted by Casio View Post
    But .. but we want new tables... not VR rehash.
    We're always working on more tables - news will come soon!

There seems to be some discrepancy in some of the reviews I've read. One suggests that when you start playing a table the view angle locks in place, another suggests a free floating camera angle while playing. How does the camera view work when actually playing a table?

Also, I'd like to make a suggestion for a table to convert from Pinball FX2. Of all the ones I can think of the one I think would benefit the most from VR is the Star Wars: Starfighter Assault table. There are multiple modes with stuff happening off the table already, with X-Wings fighting TIE Fighters above the table, or Calamari Cruisers fighting Star Destroyers to the right and left of the table. How much cooler would that look in VR?

Quote Originally Posted by vitus979 View Post
    There seems to be some discrepancy in some of the reviews I've read. One suggests that when you start playing a table the view angle locks in place, another suggests a free floating camera angle while playing. How does the camera view work when actually playing a table?
    The view is centered on the table as though you're standing in front of it. However, you can still look around the setting from that position, and see the other tables, options, etc. You can actually be playing a table and look at another one, press play and go to it directly without having to exit out of the table you're playing.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    The view is centered on the table as though you're standing in front of it. However, you can still look around the setting from that position, and see the other tables, options, etc. You can actually be playing a table and look at another one, press play and go to it directly without having to exit out of the table you're playing.
    But you can't do something like lean back or forward to slightly change the angle that you're viewing the table from? A number of tables would benefit from that. In Secrets of the Deep for example it would be nice to be able to lean forward when the ball is in the upper table area since viewing the ball movement can often be blocked by the ramps.

Quote Originally Posted by vitus979 View Post
    But you can't do something like lean back or forward to slightly change the angle that you're viewing the table from?
    You absolutely can do this and it helps a lot indeed to see the action better

Hi !

I'm really looking forward to try this version... but for now, I can't buy an occulus just for FX2.

I agree with you that VR technology will evolve suddenly this year, and I'm really proud that you've thought it before many others.

You've always been precursors, pioneers in the genre, and it's really great to follow your evolution.
    French fans forum : www.LUPsClub.com

Default I figured out how to adjust the view!

First I tested out that positional tracking is working , but my initial view was like as if my legs were right against the front of the cabinet and I had to look downwards with too steep an angle for my liking. So i then moved my chair further and further away which helped a bit of coarse. After doing this while playing I tested out other buttons on the controller and found one button resets the view and the distance from the table is recalculated in some or other manner.

From this I experimented with moving my head closer to the screen and the pressing the button to recalculate and then moving back to my normal sitting position. I did this several times , each time having my head closer to the sensor/screen when recalculating. This worked like a treat. I managed to get my stance at the table much further away while sitting in my normal playing position like this.
    Last edited by shaderbytes; 03-31-2016 at 05:22 PM.

I am loving this, playing in VR is so much nicer than trying to pick a single view.

Is there any chance of more tables being added to the VR version of the game in the near future?

Quote Originally Posted by Marthius View Post
    I am loving this, playing in VR is so much nicer than trying to pick a single view.

Is there any chance of more tables being added to the VR version of the game in the near future?
    We do have plans to add more tables at some point as long as there is interest

Default Oculus key. Do the right thing

Hi Barbie (and others)
    As a long time supporter and purchaser of fx2 on steam I feel that you should grant me and the other loyal supporters with a key for the vr version of fx2 along with ALL of the tables that we ALREADY purchased. I have paid for every fx2 table you have released (except 2).
    Please do the right thing by rewarding your supporters with free access to this new version!
    Junky

Here is a video showing Pinball FX2 VR in action with a custom a pincab controller!

Quote Originally Posted by Imagamejunky View Post
    Hi Barbie (and others)
    As a long time supporter and purchaser of fx2 on steam I feel that you should grant me and the other loyal supporters with a key for the vr version of fx2 along with ALL of the tables that we ALREADY purchased. I have paid for every fx2 table you have released (except 2).
    Please do the right thing by rewarding your supporters with free access to this new version!
    Junky
    Sorry, this is a separate version from Steam that we put a lot of time and effort into. We can't make that happen this time.

Wow!
    I'm sure that many people like me would be playing the same tables on the same pc.
    That's just horrible customer service as far as I'm concerned.

Default ayeeee

its actually quite amazing, im so frickin glad you guys got this out there right at launch, kudos on that, and really the 3 tabes you picked to do I almost NEVER play on steam and I found myself enjoying the crap out of them with a new found appreciation for them and for VR and pinball simulation in general, this medium allows all the "hokus pokus fantasy" pinball stuff that you guys do a place to really shine, great job I cant wait to see more and congrats on getting this out there and so nicely polished in time for official CV1 launch, I happen to beta test for another pinball game that was quick to announce oculus rift support but like every other promise they make to their customers it probably wont happen before VR is out and holograms are in....

Default Use some common sense..

Wow!
    I'm sure that many people like me would be playing the same tables on the same pc.
    That's just horrible customer service as far as I'm concerned.
    It cost money to run a business. The tables might be previously developed tables sure , so they saved some man hours in that regard but you obviously have no cooking clue what it takes to port / create a new app for a new platform. You are insulting the developers who work for zen studios. They work to earn a salary. If Zen doesn't make money from new developments then by proxy they cant pay the people who work for them.

Do you work for free? I think not. Zen are great in that they often have sales on steam and humble bundle and also support vendor cross purchases etc.. They are a generous bunch already. Saying you already paid for a regular desktop version of the table means you should get a VR table free is just plain greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by shaderbytes View Post
    It cost money to run a business. The tables might be previously developed tables sure , so they saved some man hours in that regard but you obviously have no cooking clue what it takes to port / create a new app for a new platform. You are insulting the developers who work for zen studios. They work to earn a salary. If Zen doesn't make money from new developments then by proxy they cant pay the people who work for them.

Do you work for free? I think not. Zen are great in that they often have sales on steam and humble bundle and also support vendor cross purchases etc.. They are a generous bunch already. Saying you already paid for a regular desktop version of the table means you should get a VR table free is just plain greedy.
    You're right.
    The unfortunate truth is that even though it frustrates me, I know I will be paying for these tables all over again because..
    I love pinball, I love VR, and I think the fx2 tables really are fantastic.
    Hopefully they will give us repeat customers some kind of a discount.
    Junky

Default vr rocks the casbah!

You're right.
    , I know I will be paying for these tables all over again because..
    Junky
    your really not paying for these tables AGAIN as you put it, the experience is so radically different you cant really compare it to the steam version its not the same game.

dude this conversation is pointless because this is flying right over your head because UNTIL you try these tables on the oculus headset and not just sitting there all bothered because these tables are previously released under a different format in a different store, think of it like this in terms of both an analogy for technology and basic business alike, what i'm hearing along with everyone at zen and everyone else on this forum is you saying "i bought these games for sega genesis and now I want them for free on Xbox One because I bought them years ago on an old platform, even though the technology has improved by 1000000% and its a completely different experience on a different platform."

I'm sorry bud but you sound like a greedy ignorant child who thinks the world or in this case ZEN owes you which I assure you neither owes you anything man, try being thankful that they took a chance on VR at all and did these tables all three of which are OLD I think 2 of them from the core pack so these titles are years old and more often than not neglected or flat out cast aside and never played on the steam version especially mars and deep (and I base that statement off of both my personal gameplay and the scores of the 30+ players on my friends list) and all three of these are actually really amazing tables that i'd never given a proper chance until now that I have experienced them on this revolutionary new platform I feel that I had NEVER experienced them before even on my virtual cabinet (which is now just a piece of rubbish, yes VR is that good, Im gonna saw the front off of it where the buttons are and keep that and toss the rest, its worthless now thanx zen lol :cool: ) I cant wait for more!!! I have about $20k worth of pinball machines in my dining room (whirlwind, theatre of magic, pin magic etc etc good titles) and since I got the pinfx2 vr launch pack 3 days ago I haven't played my real games even 20% as much as I have played these 3 VR tables, well 2 of them, I am yet to dig into mars properly which I will do as soon as I post this. So far I have on the OVERALL leaderboard 2nd place on secrets of the deep and 1st place on epic quest and now its time to go dig into mars, thanks ZEN studios and I hope your working on more already because if your not your management needs to crack the whip!!! get on it VR is here for good. -nodzpinfx2_zpss5ejqjb3.jpg
    Last edited by nodz509; 04-02-2016 at 09:50 PM.

Default hey deep

Deep do you have a table in the upcoming 3 pack? American Dad is the only one of the BOG pack that I play regularly, love your work bud thank you for all your effort, your dedication shows in your work and your name is an accurate descriptor of your rulesets. kudos.

dude...
    I already said he was right and I'm paying for the tables.

I'm dropping it.
    Junky

Quote Originally Posted by nodz509 View Post
    Deep do you have a table in the upcoming 3 pack? American Dad is the only one of the BOG pack that I play regularly, love your work bud thank you for all your effort, your dedication shows in your work and your name is an accurate descriptor of your rulesets. kudos.
    Thanks man, I appreciate your touching words Sadly I wasn't involved in the Aliens vs Pinball pack, but I am working on the next VERY big project...

Ordered a Rift back on launch day, look forward to giving it a go with FX.

Default awesomeness

Really impressed with how this plays guys, and can't wait for more tables, STAR WARS FORCE AWAKENS would be nice.

Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar

Here is a video showing Pinball FX2 VR in action with a custom a pincab controller!
    I think they done goofed on their upload. Only get about a 1 min of video then abruptly ends for me.

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

Well I have to say...

I bought the game and played it today and I am VERY impressed. It's really awesome to play these first 3 tables in VR. Even though I'm only using my DK2 right now, it looks and plays just beautifully. I'm looking forward to seeing the graphical improvement once I receive my CV1 and Vive.

One thing I really love is the positional audio. Moving my face in closer towards the backbox and hearing the audio change accordingly makes the immersion more "real".

Hopefully more tables are released soon.
    Southpark and Portal please!!

Great job Zen Staff!

Junky

Well I have to say...

I bought the game and played it today and I am VERY impressed. It's really awesome to play these first 3 tables in VR. Even though I'm only using my DK2 right now, it looks and plays just beautifully. I'm looking forward to seeing the graphical improvement once I receive my CV1 and Vive.

One thing I really love is the positional audio. Moving my face in closer towards the backbox and hearing the audio change accordingly makes the immersion more "real".

Hopefully more tables are released soon.
    Southpark and Portal please!!

Great job Zen Staff!

Junky
    Glad to hear you enjoy it! The team put a ton of work into this FX2 VR and I think it really shows

I don't have an ETA on more tables being added, but we definitely want to add more, so thank you for the suggestions!