Thread: Thoughts On How To Bring More People Into Zen Pinball/FX2

Default Thoughts On How To Bring More People Into Zen Pinball/FX2

The first time I played Zen Pinball, I was terrible. Draining, double flipping, generally just sucking. I was so overwhelmed, I put it away for months.

Then, for no real reason at all, I picked it up again, but this time my wife mentioned how her mother used to play a lot of computer pinball, and there was actually a lot of strategy to it, rather than just flopping the ball around, like I was doing. I looked it up and sure enough, there was a treasure trove of techniques for me to learn and master. I've been obsessed ever since.

What I think would've drawn me in quicker to Zen Pinball, and would really pull in more new/younger users, is if there was some sort of tutorial mode. Like, little mini missions using the free board already given - i.e. capturing the ball five times to complete and move on and select a new mission with a new technique to learn. But the key here is that the missions wouldn't be unlocked through regular play. You'd select from a menu, and that would be the only thing you can do on that board until you've completed it. Allow people to learn at their own pace. It could even take you through techniques like post pass. Hell, if they keep getting more and more difficult, I could even see more advanced players using this mode to get better.

One of the problems pinball it seems pinball has always had is that it can be hard to teach people how to play the game. That barrier is broken now that Video Game pinball exists, and I'm surprised its not being utilized more Something like Rollers of the Realm does it really well.

I can tell you from first hand experience, the more I learn about pinball techniques, and the better I get, the more I want to play, and the more tables I want to buy.

On a related note, I like that there are difficulty settings which can be edited in the menu settings, but that option is pretty hidden to most novice players - i.e. the ones who need it the most. Also, I'd love it if there were separate score boards for the difficulty ratings, instead of just not recording the score if it isn't the suggested settings. Validating the efforts of players who like an easier time, and just want to explore the board would really open up the game to new types of fans.

Also, the scoreboards shown at the end of a game are always the 'all time' boards. It can be a daunting reminder of how much better everyone else is when you see those multi billion scores, and meanwhile you've yet to break 100 million on the table. But when I check the weekly boards and see that I'm at the 20th spot, well, there's all the motivation I need for my next dozen or so games I think having the two side by side at the end would really show new players they're not as bad as they think they are - there are just a few really amazing players.

Lastly, thanks to anybody who reads all this. These are just some thoughts from an illustrator/writer/spare time game designer (board games). I'm sure a lot of this would work better in theory than in practice, but if it helps make Zen Pinball 3 or whatever is next a more open and inviting experience, and help grow this game I've become so enamored with lately, then I'd be pretty happy.

Default how to improve the game

for one,maybe get rid of the fake players and scores.there is literally a guy named ace of artemis who within the 3 days since ive seen the aliens tables on here,has a high score of 1 billion? its bs.some of these inflated fake modded hacked exploited bugged scores are just crap.i wanna see a legit filmed replay of any of these ridiculous scores.i dont buy any of them . more fakes runing a simple game like pinball now with fake hacked scores.

Quote Originally Posted by lucas barr View Post
    for one,maybe get rid of the fake players and scores.there is literally a guy named ace of artemis who within the 3 days since ive seen the aliens tables on here,has a high score of 1 billion? its bs.some of these inflated fake modded hacked exploited bugged scores are just crap.i wanna see a legit filmed replay of any of these ridiculous scores.i dont buy any of them . more fakes runing a simple game like pinball now with fake hacked scores.
    On which platform? I wouldn't be so quick to label some of these as hacked/cheated scores, we have some seriously epic players out there - but let me know and we can check

Quote Originally Posted by attackofthepin View Post
    The first time I played Zen Pinball, I was terrible. Draining, double flipping, generally just sucking. I was so overwhelmed, I put it away for months.

Then, for no real reason at all, I picked it up again, but this time my wife mentioned how her mother used to play a lot of computer pinball, and there was actually a lot of strategy to it, rather than just flopping the ball around, like I was doing. I looked it up and sure enough, there was a treasure trove of techniques for me to learn and master. I've been obsessed ever since.

What I think would've drawn me in quicker to Zen Pinball, and would really pull in more new/younger users, is if there was some sort of tutorial mode. Like, little mini missions using the free board already given - i.e. capturing the ball five times to complete and move on and select a new mission with a new technique to learn. But the key here is that the missions wouldn't be unlocked through regular play. You'd select from a menu, and that would be the only thing you can do on that board until you've completed it. Allow people to learn at their own pace. It could even take you through techniques like post pass. Hell, if they keep getting more and more difficult, I could even see more advanced players using this mode to get better.

One of the problems pinball it seems pinball has always had is that it can be hard to teach people how to play the game. That barrier is broken now that Video Game pinball exists, and I'm surprised its not being utilized more Something like Rollers of the Realm does it really well.

I can tell you from first hand experience, the more I learn about pinball techniques, and the better I get, the more I want to play, and the more tables I want to buy.

On a related note, I like that there are difficulty settings which can be edited in the menu settings, but that option is pretty hidden to most novice players - i.e. the ones who need it the most. Also, I'd love it if there were separate score boards for the difficulty ratings, instead of just not recording the score if it isn't the suggested settings. Validating the efforts of players who like an easier time, and just want to explore the board would really open up the game to new types of fans.

Also, the scoreboards shown at the end of a game are always the 'all time' boards. It can be a daunting reminder of how much better everyone else is when you see those multi billion scores, and meanwhile you've yet to break 100 million on the table. But when I check the weekly boards and see that I'm at the 20th spot, well, there's all the motivation I need for my next dozen or so games I think having the two side by side at the end would really show new players they're not as bad as they think they are - there are just a few really amazing players.

Lastly, thanks to anybody who reads all this. These are just some thoughts from an illustrator/writer/spare time game designer (board games). I'm sure a lot of this would work better in theory than in practice, but if it helps make Zen Pinball 3 or whatever is next a more open and inviting experience, and help grow this game I've become so enamored with lately, then I'd be pretty happy.

Thanks for the excellent feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    On which platform? I wouldn't be so quick to label some of these as hacked/cheated scores, we have some seriously epic players out there - but let me know and we can check
    AceofArtemis... LOL I remember seeing that ID and wondering if it was legit. But from my point of view, alot of legit ones don't seem possible and I know they're real. Was it IOS (which I rarely ever played) or was it the 360? Maybe it was real who knows?

Lightbulb Creating New Videos to Share the Experience

I'm looking towards building a lot of videos with Pinball FX2 content and sharing them on YouTube. Most likely with a mix of game playbacks, reviews and tips & tricks. Its an ambitious project because of the scale of the game. Each table can be so different and where to get all the high scores?

Also editing a video to show specific spots of the table (for tips and tricks) could be difficult, but I'm up for that challenge!

Right now I just have one such video on YouTube showing how to get the skill shot on the Guardians of the Gallaxy table. My main problem though, is that although I can sometimes hit, say, 24 million on a table, that's about where I top out. So its not like I'd be posting ground breaking scores or anything, but it could still be entertaining for people who don't know about the games. Of course, I also don't know all the techniques or "secrets" for each table. As in how to complete the mini missions and things like that, but that's getting pretty specific.

Regarding promotion to bring more people into the fold, though, I think I can produce some content that could catch some attention. However, where to promote it is always the problem. Its not like I'm on the marketing team at Zen Studios. LOL

I found this forum today, looking for more people that play, but places like Reddit, for example, have almost nothing about PinballFX2 on them. But I think that's the challenge of Pinball in general. Its kind of like pool games too. If you don't know about it already, you're not going to just go looking for it. I have Pinball and Pool games because I used to love playing pinball and still enjoy playing pool. But that has to be the demographic, right?

Sorry, I'm just kind of rambling now. :P I'm at work too, should get back to it. Hehe

Quote Originally Posted by lucas barr View Post
    I don't think there's as many fake scores as you think. Not saying there aren't fake ones, hackers gonna hack, but I have no doubts most of the ones in the billions are legit. I'm effin' terrible at Pinball, but I enjoy it, right? Normally my max score on any given table is about 30-40 million and that's it. One day a few weeks back I sat down and just fiddled around on the Boba Fett table not really trying or anything, I was just killing time. Now when I play I don't look at my score ever, I always watch the ball. After about 20 minutes it occurred to me I was still on my first ball which is rare for me at that length of time on a table (again, I'm terrible at Pinball). So I risked a glance over at the scoreboard and saw I was at 40 million already when up until that point on that table I'd only ever maxed out at 20. Long story short, I ended up cracking just over 100 million on my first ball, then subsequently messed up and only got 1 million each on my last two balls. That was me, a casual for sure, not even trying and having a case of dumb luck. So I have no doubts that someone that's been with the game for a few years now could easily rack up over a billion points once they "know" the tables.

I mean, check this guys videos out, for example: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClN...VvlQg/featured