Thread: Pinball FX2 nor starting up on windows 10

Default Pinball FX2 nor starting up on windows 10

I haven't played the game in a while so decided to get back into it today... however when I start the game I get the initial window and after 2 seconds it closes and game does not start.. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the game and I still get the same issue.. I tried running the game from windows store and from the desktop.. neither works, small window opens and then closes and that's it, back in the desktop. Any suggestions?

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
    I haven't played the game in a while so decided to get back into it today... however when I start the game I get the initial window and after 2 seconds it closes and game does not start.. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the game and I still get the same issue.. I tried running the game from windows store and from the desktop.. neither works, small window opens and then closes and that's it, back in the desktop. Any suggestions?

Thank You
    What kind of pc are you using? Laptop, desktop? Can you give some specs? Does it help if you clear the store cache? (press the Windows Key + r then in the box type wsreset.exe and hit enter)

Also, does it give any error messages at any point?

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    What kind of pc are you using? Laptop, desktop? Can you give some specs? Does it help if you clear the store cache? (press the Windows Key + r then in the box type wsreset.exe and hit enter)

Also, does it give any error messages at any point?
    I tried clearing the store cache and I have the same issue.. a window opens up for 2-3 seconds and disappears.. I am running a desktop Xenon E5 2640, 16GB RAM, X79 MOBO, Radeon x480 8gb video card running latest drivers 16.11.5.. all my other windows store games run fine.. all drivers and windows updates are up to date.. also I never get any messages at all.. the launch window just closes after 2-3 seconds with no errors..

I tried clearing the store cache and I have the same issue.. a window opens up for 2-3 seconds and disappears.. I am running a desktop Xenon E5 2640, 16GB RAM, X79 MOBO, Radeon x480 8gb video card running latest drivers 16.11.5.. all my other windows store games run fine.. all drivers and windows updates are up to date.. also I never get any messages at all.. the launch window just closes after 2-3 seconds with no errors..
    Thanks! I'm going to have the team check this out and see what they suggest. The MS support pages seem to be full of various reports of apps not responding but they don't offer any real solutions.

Can you confirm that you're using the most recent version (if there is no update available for the app on the Windows Store, you're good).

Can you send us a dxdiag report? To get this, you should open the windows search dialog, enter dxdiag the run it, save the report to a text file then send to us (my email is support @zenstudios.com)

And last question: Do you see the Zen and PFX logos before the program closes?

Thanks!

Can you confirm that you're using the most recent version (if there is no update available for the app on the Windows Store, you're good).

Can you send us a dxdiag report? To get this, you should open the windows search dialog, enter dxdiag the run it, save the report to a text file then send to us (my email is support @zenstudios.com)

And last question: Do you see the Zen and PFX logos before the program closes?

Thanks!
    there seems to be no other updates in windows store and my version shows up as 1.11.0.0.
    Also I do see the ZEN and PFX logos for the 2-3 seconds the window is open and then it closes with nothing happening afterwords.
    I have also collected and sent dxdiag report as requested.

there seems to be no other updates in windows store and my version shows up as 1.11.0.0.
    Also I do see the ZEN and PFX logos for the 2-3 seconds the window is open and then it closes with nothing happening afterwords.
    I have also collected and sent dxdiag report as requested.
    Received! thanks!

Received! thanks!
    Any news regarding this issue? I would love to play some pinball over the holidays.. lol
    Last edited by Dariusz; 12-23-2016 at 09:02 PM.

Hi again,
    The team has some steps for you to try out:

1. navigate to the following folder on your desktop: c:\Users[username]\AppData\Local\Packages\ZenStudios.PinballFX2Windo ws10Edition_sqz2yzgfp6bz4\LocalState\
    2. try to move the Profile_*.dat file into an other folder on the PC
    3. restart the game and see what happens

If this does not help, please send us the contents (detailed file list) of the above folder (support@zenstudios.com).

Also, do you have the Steam version of the game? If so, does that run correctly for you?

Hi again,
    The team has some steps for you to try out:

1. navigate to the following folder on your desktop: c:\Users[username]\AppData\Local\Packages\ZenStudios.PinballFX2Windo ws10Edition_sqz2yzgfp6bz4\LocalState\
    2. try to move the Profile_*.dat file into an other folder on the PC
    3. restart the game and see what happens

If this does not help, please send us the contents (detailed file list) of the above folder (support@zenstudios.com).

Also, do you have the Steam version of the game? If so, does that run correctly for you?
    so i navigated into the folder and it is empty.. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game before but it still wasn't working.... maybe it's empty because of that?
    As for the steam version, I installed it and it works fine...
    Let me know if there is any other suggestions you might have to get the win10 version working.. also, just to mention my install dir is on a different drive.. game worked few months ago.. also I have a few other games installed there and they do work fine..

so i navigated into the folder and it is empty.. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game before but it still wasn't working.... maybe it's empty because of that?
    Let me know if there is any other suggestions you might have to get the win10 version working.. also, just to mention my install dir is on a different drive.. game worked few months ago.. also I have a few other games installed there and they do work fine..
    Thanks! I'll get this over to our QA lead

I've emailed you a file and some steps on what to do next - check your inbox.

I've emailed you a file and some steps on what to do next - check your inbox.
    I downloaded and ran the reg file and then I created the c:\crash folder as requested.. I started the game and as usual game window opened and closed right away.. I do not see any dump files in that folder created.. in the past I would get the logo on the window for 3-4 sec and then it would close.. ever since I reinstalled the game, as soon as I start it, the window closes within 1 sec now..

also I ended up moving the game to my c drive using the option in windows settings and still it has the same issue.. just wanted to rule out running the game from primary drive...
    Last edited by Dariusz; 01-10-2017 at 01:43 AM.

I downloaded and ran the reg file and then I created the c:\crash folder as requested.. I started the game and as usual game window opened and closed right away.. I do not see any dump files in that folder created.. in the past I would get the logo on the window for 3-4 sec and then it would close.. ever since I reinstalled the game, as soon as I start it, the window closes within 1 sec now..

also I ended up moving the game to my c drive using the option in windows settings and still it has the same issue.. just wanted to rule out running the game from primary drive...
    Thanks for doing this! I'll check with QA and see how to proceed from here.

Question from QA: Are you able to log into Xbox Live (via the separate Xbox app)?

Question from QA: Are you able to log into Xbox Live (via the separate Xbox app)?
    I have the xbox windows app installed and I can access it.

I have the xbox windows app installed and I can access it.
    Awesome - thanks for the quick response

Awesome - thanks for the quick response
    please let me know if there is anything else we can try.. is it possible I can not start up the game due to something changing within windows?

please let me know if there is anything else we can try.. is it possible I can not start up the game due to something changing within windows?
    Definitely possible, though we haven't found what is causing this yet, but they are still investigating - apologies for the delay. I will get back to you as soon as I have any info or suggestions.

Heard back from QA, this should get a patch next week (likely Tuesday) to resolve the issue. Let me know if you still have trouble after the update!

Heard back from QA, this should get a patch next week (likely Tuesday) to resolve the issue. Let me know if you still have trouble after the update!
    will do! thank you for the update.. keeping my fingers crossed

I noticed the new update in windows store today.. got all excited, installed it and upon first run I had the pinball fx2 logo for about 5 seconds before the window closed again.. now when I run it it's the same thing as before.. window opens and closes right after 1 second upon trying to open the game.. i think i might be better off just reinstalling a fresh copy of windows.. not sure what happened in the past that the game stopped working.. i'll check back once in a while to see if there are any new updates but I don't want to be wasting too much of your time either.. i wanted to stick to the win10 version in case i could share tables between xbox one in the future but i might just use the steam version instead since that is working for me..
    thank you for all your help... if u still need me to try something i don't mind at all.. but it is no emergency if i am the only one that has this issue..

I noticed the new update in windows store today.. got all excited, installed it and upon first run I had the pinball fx2 logo for about 5 seconds before the window closed again.. now when I run it it's the same thing as before.. window opens and closes right after 1 second upon trying to open the game.. i think i might be better off just reinstalling a fresh copy of windows.. not sure what happened in the past that the game stopped working.. i'll check back once in a while to see if there are any new updates but I don't want to be wasting too much of your time either.. i wanted to stick to the win10 version in case i could share tables between xbox one in the future but i might just use the steam version instead since that is working for me..
    thank you for all your help... if u still need me to try something i don't mind at all.. but it is no emergency if i am the only one that has this issue..
    You definitely aren't the only one, so no need to reinstall Windows (unless of course you have other issues with Windows). I've let the team know so they can investigate why the patch didn't resolve this issue for you.

You definitely aren't the only one, so no need to reinstall Windows (unless of course you have other issues with Windows). I've let the team know so they can investigate why the patch didn't resolve this issue for you.
    no, I have no other issues... every other app or game if it's from windows store or anywhere else works just fine.. in this case i'll keep checking back here.

thank you..

no, I have no other issues... every other app or game if it's from windows store or anywhere else works just fine.. in this case i'll keep checking back here.

thank you..
    Can you please try these steps and let me know how it goes?

1) Uninstall the game
    2) Download it again from the store
    3) Go offline
    4) Launch the app and see if the same issue occurs

Can you please try these steps and let me know how it goes?

1) Uninstall the game
    2) Download it again from the store
    3) Go offline
    4) Launch the app and see if the same issue occurs
    so a few things happened here..

i always used pinballFX 2 for win 10.. i think I only had one table there that I got all achievements on.. anyways.. i went ahead and uninstalled pinballFX2 for win 10 and reinstalled.. after I made this PC the one to be able to run games in offline mode i tried to run the game for first time so i can run in offline mode.. and as usual window just closed right away.. i then disconnected my network and tried running the game again and same thing happened..
    I then decided to uninstall the game again, reinstall it and run it right away with cable disconnected without running it first in online mode.. anyways as I was about to reinstall pinballFX2 for win 10 I noticed there was another pinballFX 2 (it just didn't have win 10 at the end).. i installed that version and it is running.. but i guess whatever I achieved in the win10 version does not show up... i can see there are a few differences as i can't select resolutions from this versions and can't go full screen compared to win 10 edition..
    lastly, this might be a bit off topic but looks like this version is synced to my xbox account.. any chance i can sync my tables from my xbox that i purchased?

just a quick update.. i did install the win10 edition again, disconnected network right after and still doesn't start up.. windows just closes within a second.

thank you.
    Last edited by Dariusz; 02-03-2017 at 11:03 PM.

i also wanted to add that i only have a few tables listed under zen studios, few from marvel and few from star wars available in this Pinball FX2 version... seems a lot of tables are missing from being able to be downloaded
    also when i try to run a table i get a message "loading profile.. please try again later".. however it does say I am signed in as myself
    Last edited by Dariusz; 02-03-2017 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks for letting me know, we'll be working on a fix for this. The other version of the game you're seeing is the Win8 version, which is no longer supported. I'll let the team know about your response for this

Thanks for letting me know, we'll be working on a fix for this. The other version of the game you're seeing is the Win8 version, which is no longer supported. I'll let the team know about your response for this
    ok good to know, i will remove the win8 version in that case..