Thread: HDTV Resolution?

Default HDTV Resolution?

What HDTV resolution is this game gonna be? Is it going to support them all?

I have an older HDTV that is 1080i. When games come out in 720p only, the PS3 down grades to 420p.

I just realized Zen Pinball was in 720p only, so I assume it will be the same for Punisher: No Mercy.

I guess I'll wait for the reviews before I buy it. I didn't purchase Zen Pinball for this reason alone.

Sorry, Zen.

Hmm, what sort of TV do you have? It's rare for a tv with 1080i not to support 720p.

Quote Originally Posted by Ofotao View Post
    Hmm, what sort of TV do you have? It's rare for a tv with 1080i not to support 720p.
    Its an 55in Mitsubishi. Its old enough that it does not have any HDMI ports. So when games come out that ONLY spport 720p, the PS3 downscales to 420p. Some games, like Burnout, have sent out patches correcting this. But if Sony would send out a patch for the system itself, it would not be an issue anymore.

The XBOX does not have this problem with older 1080i only TV's.

Here is a better explanation.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...43758#M1543758

there is your problem in its self isn't it.

If you can't have HDMI cables hooked up to your Playstation or your XBOX you aren't getting a true HD image any how.

I just tested this out on my 2005 model 52" Mitsubishi DLP which does not do 720p. The game will indeed support 1080i resolution...thank you, Zen, for making room in the frame buffer to properly support this output. Another PSN game, Cellfactor: Psychokinetic Wars, also supports 1080i output and is another Unreal Engine first person shooter. Unreal Tournament 3 and Turok(post-patch) also display 1080i for those with non-720p HDTV's.

Irish Bull, I believe you mean your television will downscale native 720p games to 480p...not 420p.

Ofotao, a few years ago it was actually rare for any 1080i HDTV to support 720p. You could find a lot of HDTV's that were 720p, but didn't do either 1080i/p and they were generally reserved for smaller screen sizes. If you wanted a large screen then most choices were 480p/1080i HDTV's. 1080p were very rare back then. That's why the whole PS3 upscaling is such a big issue for the 1080i people. Currently it's a non-issue since HDTV's being sold are 720p or "full 1080p". You can't buy a 1080p HDTV that doesn't support 720p and 1080i. The Xbox 360 never had this issue since it has a hardware scaler chip that automatically upscales the games native resolution to the TV's max display resolution. It does this at no memory cost so the game developer doesn't have to use more graphic memory to render a larger frame buffer or use the Cell SPU's to software upscale at a speed penalty as with the PS3.

Intelligent Moron, your comment is useless.

my resolutuioin shows to be 720p but my tv has a resolution setting for 1080P maybe ill have to go check my ps3 resolution selection

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH BULL View Post
    Its an 55in Mitsubishi. Its old enough that it does not have any HDMI ports. So when games come out that ONLY spport 720p, the PS3 downscales to 420p. Some games, like Burnout, have sent out patches correcting this. But if Sony would send out a patch for the system itself, it would not be an issue anymore.

The XBOX does not have this problem with older 1080i only TV's.

Here is a better explanation.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...43758#M1543758
    Not having a HDtv(720p/1080p) and having a ps3 makes no sence to me. especilly a tv with out hdmi. Your ps3 games must look like ps2 games at times.

People with 1080i TV's are still HD. Games still look great at this output even without HDMI. Component cables get the job done but the image definitely isn't as sharp pixel-wise. Blu-rays still look better at 1080i than they do downscaled to 720p for smaller HDTV's. Either way it's not a requirement to have HDMI cables although I use them on my 3 other HDTV's...all full 1080p sets. A lot of these folks without HDMI plug HDTV's probably have a DVI connector on the back of their set(possibly labeled PC/Computer). DVI evolved into the current HDMI cable...they use the same data protocol.

These folks can get an HDMI to DVI cable/adapter plug, plug the HDMI end into the PS3 and set the video output to HDMI. DVI however will not pipe the audio data so you need to also use the Component audio plugs/appropriate surround sound output for your setup. After that DVI HDTV owners get the HDMI image sharpness benefit and the bonus of their PS3's now software upscaling their regular DVD's to 1080i output.

This is the setup I use on my only non-720p HDTV. I was pissed when I got my 1st PS3 and Resistance: Fall of Man downscaled to 480p and so did Devil May Cry 4. The downscaling causes horrible aliasing...which does make it look like a PS2 game...or a Nintendo Wii game.

I'm glad Zen supported a 1080i output despite their game having the worst networking code I have ever experienced. They are even worse than Socom:Confrontation at launch...and that's hard to top for poor performance. Socom could at least use the excuse of 32 player support, customized characters, more weapons and sound occlusion effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5GSR View Post
    I just tested this out on my 2005 model 52" Mitsubishi DLP which does not do 720p. The game will indeed support 1080i resolution...thank you, Zen, for making room in the frame buffer to properly support this output. Another PSN game, Cellfactor: Psychokinetic Wars, also supports 1080i output and is another Unreal Engine first person shooter. Unreal Tournament 3 and Turok(post-patch) also display 1080i for those with non-720p HDTV's.

Irish Bull, I believe you mean your television will downscale native 720p games to 480p...not 420p.

Ofotao, a few years ago it was actually rare for any 1080i HDTV to support 720p. You could find a lot of HDTV's that were 720p, but didn't do either 1080i/p and they were generally reserved for smaller screen sizes. If you wanted a large screen then most choices were 480p/1080i HDTV's. 1080p were very rare back then. That's why the whole PS3 upscaling is such a big issue for the 1080i people. Currently it's a non-issue since HDTV's being sold are 720p or "full 1080p". You can't buy a 1080p HDTV that doesn't support 720p and 1080i. The Xbox 360 never had this issue since it has a hardware scaler chip that automatically upscales the games native resolution to the TV's max display resolution. It does this at no memory cost so the game developer doesn't have to use more graphic memory to render a larger frame buffer or use the Cell SPU's to software upscale at a speed penalty as with the PS3.

Intelligent Moron, your comment is useless.
    Yea, it was a typo on my part.

I read through your post's Mike, so does this PSN game support 1080i? I'm confused. Because according to the descriptors on the store, it states "Resoltution: 720p".

Also, thanks for defending us 1080i HDTV owners. Yes, we get HD with component cable. Component Video

But when Dev's take a cheaper route, we don't.

Yes, Punisher: No Mercy will output at 1080i if 720p is not supported by your television. 720p is its native resolution so people with 1080p televisions will still play the game in 720p. PS3 games always try to output at their native resolution if the HDTV supports it despite the television being able to support a higher resolution. A workaround for a few games(for users of full 1080p HDTV's) is to go into the display settings for the PS3 and manually disable 720p...then the game will output at 1080i. This does not work for all games and I feel is pointless in general if you have a full 1080p HDTV anyway. A lot of flat panel LCD's look like garbage when forced into 1080i mode.

As for developer's like Zen only publishling 720p support, I don't have an explanation. It's happened before with PS3 titles that list only 720p and actually do 1080i as well. Some games even list 1080i but don't actually support it. I believe there's a list on the Playstation forum boards.

Yes, Punisher: No Mercy will output at 1080i if 720p is not supported by your television. 720p is its native resolution so people with 1080p televisions will still play the game in 720p. PS3 games always try to output at their native resolution if the HDTV supports it despite the television being able to support a higher resolution. A workaround for a few games(for users of full 1080p HDTV's) is to go into the display settings for the PS3 and manually disable 720p...then the game will output at 1080i. This does not work for all games and I feel is pointless in general if you have a full 1080p HDTV anyway. A lot of flat panel LCD's look like garbage when forced into 1080i mode.

As for developer's like Zen only publishling 720p support, I don't have an explanation. It's happened before with PS3 titles that list only 720p and actually do 1080i as well. Some games even list 1080i but don't actually support it. I believe there's a list on the Playstation forum boards.

I know that if you have a HDTV 1080p, it will output at 1080i. But I thought if you have a older DLP HDTV 1080i, it down scales to 480p. If the game is only in 720p.

The PS3 will upscale video to 1080i that is in 720p, but not games. I do not have an HDMI hook up on my TV.

No, if your TV is 1080p...Punisher will output at 720p.

If your TV is 1080i...Punisher will output at 1080i...because 720p is not supported by the TV. Zen programmed in the additional output mode so it will not downscale down to 480p if you can't do 720p.

You can buy this game and be able to play at 1080i with no worries.

Don't expect any miracles with the online mode though. I have really fast internet and my last match with just 3 total players was complete garbage. The 3rd guy quit mid-match because the lag was so bad.

If your HDTV is a 480p&1080i => Punisher plays at 1080i.

If your HDTV is a 480p&720p unit => Punisher plays at 720p.

If your HDTV is "full 1080p"(480p&720p&1080i&1080p) => Punisher still plays at 720p only...it does NOT display at 1080i...PS3 games always output at their native resolution if that mode is available.

I wouldn't be concerned with PS3 game developers only advertising 720p as supported output modes. It's unfortunate but not uncommon for advertised modes to be untrue. That's what these forums are for.

I own Unreal Tournament 3 and Turok and the boxes only say 720p, but they do 1080i as well. (Turok was patched after launch to support 1080i). Both are Unreal Engine games like Punisher No Mercy. They look awesome at 1080i on my 52" Mitsubishi DLP.

I also own Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction. Those boxes also say 720p, but both do 1080i...even though the boxes don't list it as a supported mode.

Before I bought my other 3 HDTV's I wouldn't buy a PS3 game if it wouldn't display in 1080i. If it was cross-platform I would just buy the Xbox 360 version instead to avoid the 480p downscaling. An example is Army of Two which is another Unreal Engine game but doesn't do 1080i on the PS3.

I wouldn't be concerned with PS3 game developers only advertising 720p as supported output modes. It's unfortunate but not uncommon for advertised modes to be untrue. That's what these forums are for.

I own Unreal Tournament 3 and Turok and the boxes only say 720p, but they do 1080i as well. (Turok was patched after launch to support 1080i). Both are Unreal Engine games like Punisher No Mercy. They look awesome at 1080i on my 52" Mitsubishi DLP.

I also own Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction. Those boxes also say 720p, but both do 1080i...even though the boxes don't list it as a supported mode.

Before I bought my other 3 HDTV's I wouldn't buy a PS3 game if it wouldn't display in 1080i. If it was cross-platform I would just buy the Xbox 360 version instead to avoid the 480p downscaling. An example is Army of Two which is another Unreal Engine game but doesn't do 1080i on the PS3.
    That is the key there. I wish these game Dev's would patch some of these games to support 1080i. Zen Pinball would be nice. The demo was downscaled on my HDTV. Which was a huge disappointment, because the game was fun as hell. But looks like crap on my TV.

Thanks again for all the info. But I think I'm gonna wait now. All the post here and Playstation.com are complaining about the horrible lag during MP. Which was my main drive for getting this game. Sounds like this game is in need of a serious patch for the MP.