Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zantetsu
    • Apr 2016

Missing audio in Steam version of Pinball FX2 VR

First, thank you very much to Zen for making the Steam version available to me to use after I had purchased the Oculus Home versions.

However, having had and played both versions, I can see some differences between the Oculus and Steam versions that are problematic.

First, some audio does not play in the Steam version. Specifically, none of the voice audio plays. Every table has tons of voice from the game characters during the game in the Oculus version, but none of these voices play during the Steam version. Is this a known problem? (another possibly related issue is the fact that the audio sliders in the in-game settings menus behave very strangely -- I get very muted sound effects and when I move the slider around, they sometimes sort of immediately jump to a much higher volume rather than changing gradually, and the effect doesn't seem to persist during actual games, leading me back to these sliders with their buggy behavior frequently)

Second, there is jittering/stuttering in the Vive version that is not present in the Oculus version. I used the same graphics card (GTX980) for both Oculus and Vive and only the Vive has the jittering/stuttering. It only occurs when moving my head on the Vive. One difference is that for Oculus, I was using a DK2 that only has 60hz refresh, wheras the Vive has 90hz refresh. There is another post in this forum about Vive jittering in this game with some suggestions about what to do to fix it (although no confirmation that these fixes worked for the person who had the problem), so I will try those first. If they do not help, I'll be back here to notify you of the result.

Because of these issues I have not yet reviewed the game on Steam. I would love to write a glowing review of the game but the Vive specific issues need to be addressed first.

Thank you!
  • BarbieBobomb
    Pinball Wizard
    • Feb 2012

Do any of the suggestions here help with the audio issue? https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthr...ion-with-Touch

Comment

• Zantetsu
      • Apr 2016

Originally posted by BarbieBobomb
      Do any of the suggestions here help with the audio issue? https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthr...ion-with-Touch
      I will try them and give some feedback.

However, I would like to point something out that I really think you ought to pass onto your devs.

Consider these threads:

The common theme here is that files are missing that are required by Pinball FX2 VR ... typically in the DirectX install, or the Microsoft runtime.

This suggests to me that Pinball FX2 VR is not packaged properly; I am not a MS Windows software developer, but I am a software developer, and I am certain that there are ways to create installers for MS Windows that ensure that all of the required versions of dependent libraries are installed. Typically these are packaged along with the program being installed so that they can be installed if needed, or the installer has some way to download them if needed.

The important point being that the installer for the game needs to know how to ensure that all required versions of all dependent libraries are installed.

Because of the number of problems that people have had with Pinball FX2 VR not working because files from some dependent runtime were missing, I conclude that Pinball FX2 VR just isn't built with an installer that ensures that required software is present.

I myself experienced this in one of the threads and the solution was clearly to install an older version of DirectX -- so Pinball FX2 VR had a dependency on a version of DirectX but did not, at the time of install, ensure that that version of DirectX was present.

I think you need to notify your devs that by not making a more robust installer, they are causing problems for end users that ought to be easy to fix.

Thanks!

Comment

• Zantetsu
        • Apr 2016

Well the missing audio fixed itself ... after I quit, came back a week later, and played again, the voice audio was there and all audio worked fine.

I also found an improvement in the stuttering issue ... I enabled steam's "interpolated timewarp" (I think it's called) along with asynchronous timewarp. Now head movement while looking at a table results in sort of a blur, not jittering.

My conclusion is that my GTX1060 cannot power Pinball FX2 VR at the Vive's 90Hz refresh rate. The refresh rate is fine when looking around the room, it's just when standing in front of a table, with all of the graphics being rendered, that it slows down.

If you could ask your devs to optimize the rendering a bit, that would help alot

Comment

• BarbieBobomb
          Pinball Wizard
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Zantetsu
          Well the missing audio fixed itself ... after I quit, came back a week later, and played again, the voice audio was there and all audio worked fine.

I also found an improvement in the stuttering issue ... I enabled steam's "interpolated timewarp" (I think it's called) along with asynchronous timewarp. Now head movement while looking at a table results in sort of a blur, not jittering.

My conclusion is that my GTX1060 cannot power Pinball FX2 VR at the Vive's 90Hz refresh rate. The refresh rate is fine when looking around the room, it's just when standing in front of a table, with all of the graphics being rendered, that it slows down.

If you could ask your devs to optimize the rendering a bit, that would help alot
          Glad to hear you figured it out Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Working...