Thread: My (cheap) Custom Pinball FX Controller!

Default My (cheap) Custom Pinball FX Controller!

It's made out of recycled server (computer) boxes. So basically cardboard and hot-glue. Cool duct tape gives it even more rigidity. Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

very cool! love the fun factor - lots of flair.

I modded an icade with side buttons for my iPad - unfortunately zen won't support icade button mapping for iOS.
    but its a blast to play with pinball arcade, stern pinball arcade, zaccaria, and pro pinball (timeshock ultra)

I put the flipper buttons "behind" for my pointer and middle fingers, and the nudge button are "in front and down a bit" for my ring and pinky fingers. Is that how you have it set up?

This is awesome! I'm always amazed at the stuff you all come up with as far as controllers and cabs.

Quote Originally Posted by DA5ID View Post
    Is that how you have it set up?
    No Sir. If you look at the pictures, there are "fun" labels under every buttons.

How I did it, is I traced my fingers on the box "how they naturally flopped" on the sides. So flippers are index fingers and right "under" are the nudge buttons. So you can nudge with your middle fingers. Or move you hand forwards and flip with your middle fingers instead (how I really play on my real pinball machines).

On the back, from right to left, Launch ball (I use my pinky to launch), Select (mapped to Enter key) and Camera Angle all the way to the left (mapped to the C key).

I am missing the Front Nudge button. I will place that one at "crotch" level I think. So you can just "hump" the whole controller to Nudge the table forward. Will be HILARIOUS with the Archer table, guaranteed.

Why not try wiring up mercury switches instead of buttons?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...tches&_sacat=0

You just need 3: RIGHT/LEFT/FWD

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    This is awesome! I'm always amazed at the stuff you all come up with as far as controllers and cabs.
    Well, thank you!
    Pinball is meant to be played standing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Why not try wiring up mercury switches instead of buttons?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...tches&_sacat=0

You just need 3: RIGHT/LEFT/FWD

Well, according to my research, they don't work really well for this application. I think if I remember correctly, you might get several "hits" with one nudge. So you might get 2 or 3 nudges for one good shove of the controller.

Have you had experience with those switches in this context? I'm all ears! How would you orient them?

(I did not have mercury switches on hand at the time. Instead, I had 8 buttons that I had ordered in a kit from ebay)

Thanks for any suggestions!

DUPE post. Sorry.
    Last edited by Bendit; 02-28-2017 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Dupe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bendit View Post
    Well, according to my research, they don't work really well for this application. I think if I remember correctly, you might get several "hits" with one nudge. So you might get 2 or 3 nudges for one good shove of the controller.

Have you had experience with those switches in this context? I'm all ears! How would you orient them?

(I did not have mercury switches on hand at the time. Instead, I had 8 buttons that I had ordered in a kit from ebay)

Thanks for any suggestions!
    I've only got experience with 1 mercury switch as I'm building a PS4 version of a pinsim and the ps4 controller board I used only allows 4 buttons. So I had to use 1 button for left flipper (L1), 1 for right (R1), 1 for screen drift correction (Sqr) and the last I attached the mercury switch and assigned it to the UP dpad position (as I can't assign the ps4 controller left stick. So I only get an up nudge when I nudge. When using a controller, I'd only ever up nudged anyway, so this is ok for me.

Oh and I had to tilt the merc switch to point down at a 45 deg angle to get it to work properly (never face up as then it's always 'on')

My current build (in test mode atm) is on another forum (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthre...amp-Real-Pins)

But, as I'm including the ps4 controller as part of the pinsim setup, I've asked Zen if they can change the nudging option in this thread (https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthr...-Zen-Pinball-2) in order to free up that mercury switch and use it to (hopefully) setup a plunger instead.

Sorry for all the cross posting, but you asked for my (limited!!) experience .

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Sorry for all the cross posting, but you asked for my (limited!!) experience .
    No no! That's good info. I will read and report back. If you say they work, I could install mercury switches in parallel; keep my buttons, but add switches. I think that would work. And if not, I still have my button. Thanks again for the info!