Thread: What about Highscores?

Default What about Highscores?

My Girlfriend absolutely rules the Highscores on all the Tables on our Vegapin-Cab. When I told her about the switch to fx3 her first question was "What about my Highscores?!" ... what can i tell her?

The FAQ page mentions:

Will there be new leaderboards?
    Yes, Pinball FX3 will be a clean slate for everyone, with new beginnings on the leaderboards as well!

Pretty sure that means the scores are not being transferred. With the tables, graphics, and physics being adjusted, that only seems fair anyway. The old scores were done on a different game, with different "rules."

Iím in the closed beta but since the NDA has just been lifted I think Iím allowed to answer your question now.

No. You canít transfer your local high scores from FX2 to FX3. Itís doesnít matter much anyway because there are no local high scores anymore in FX3. (You canít enter initials either)

Youíve only got one high score on each table (or mode) and that score is bound to your account so this is also your high score on the multiplayer leaderboards.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWolf_Beta View Post
    Iím in the closed beta but since the NDA has just been lifted I think Iím allowed to answer your question now.

No. You canít transfer your local high scores from FX2 to FX3. Itís doesnít matter much anyway because there are no local high scores anymore in FX3. (You canít enter initials either)

Youíve only got one high score on each table (or mode) and that score is bound to your account so this is also your high score on the multiplayer leaderboards.
    Oh, that's unfortunate. My kids loved playing on their account and seeing how many of the top 10 scores they could get.

Quote Originally Posted by djb5f View Post
    Oh, that's unfortunate. My kids loved playing on their account and seeing how many of the top 10 scores they could get.
    The old FX2 will stay available & playable, so.. they can still do that. Just not in FX3...

Hm ... thats pretty sad ... we regularly had some pinparties goin where some friend hopped over to our place and we battled eachother in real life on the Vegapin, drinking a beer and havin a real life chat and a real-life steak on the grill ;-) And everybody enjoyed placing their Names in the local highscores. I guess real life fades away eventually. Not to mention my girlfriend just yelled over: Okay Dude ... we be stayin with FX2 then!! ... but im afraid there wont be any new fx2 tables anymore and probably no updates anymore. innit?

Quote Originally Posted by tfhfony View Post
    The old FX2 will stay available & playable, so.. they can still do that. Just not in FX3...
    Well, those tables are played out, no ability to do that with the new tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha View Post
    Hm ... thats pretty sad ... we regularly had some pinparties goin where some friend hopped over to our place and we battled eachother in real life on the Vegapin, drinking a beer and havin a real life chat and a real-life steak on the grill ;-) And everybody enjoyed placing their Names in the local highscores. I guess real life fades away eventually. Not to mention my girlfriend just yelled over: Okay Dude ... we be stayin with FX2 then!! ... but im afraid there wont be any new fx2 tables anymore and probably no updates anymore. innit?
    Agree. New tables are only FX3 so we are out of luck. Maybe they will add in a Top 10 local leaderboard with ability to enter initials, seems simple enough.

Quote Originally Posted by djb5f View Post
    Maybe they will add in a Top 10 local leaderboard with ability to enter initials, seems simple enough.
    Unfortunately I donít think this is going to happen. The game is almost completely focussed on multiplayer online play. Iím not even sure if the game remembers a high score that youíve set offline or if you can check your current one. (please correct me Akos if Iím wrong about this.)

Also, just because you love FX2 doesnít mean youíre going to love FX3. FX3 is not an arcade pinball game. itís a pinball rpg hybrid.
    It doesnít have an Operators Menu anymore. There are no stats. Thereís now only one gameplay achievement per table and they are the same achievements as in FX2.

(Take Pasha for example. The ĎDefeat The Guardiansí mini game achievement is still there (youíre going to have to collect it again though) but the other achievement (beating the Wizard mode) is gone.)

I have 40 friends on Steam that are in the beta and together theyíve put something like 15 hours into the game in the last two weeks. But they are ALL Pinball FX2 veterans and most of them have already returned to FX2. Thatís the reason why thereís so little buzz among the beta testers even now that the NDA has been lifted.

Iím not saying FX3 is a bad game. Not at all. Itís just a completely different experience. The focus in FX3 lies on different game modes in which you can upgrade and equip ĎWizardí powers to help you score. This upgrading is the meat of the game.

For example, the three primary Wizard powers are Slow motion, Score Multiplier and Rewind.
    Before you start a game you must equip one of these Wizard powers. Once youíre playing, you activate them by pressing a special button on your joypad.

When you first play a table, the timers on these Wizard powers are all very low. Say, 2 seconds . But everytime you use a Wizard power, you upgrade a little until you reach Level 2. Then you can use the Wizard power for 4 seconds, etc. (The upgrades are permanent. They donít reset when a game ends.)

You have to do this for each table separately and it also depends on the table how many times you have to use a Wizard power to upgrade it.

So for example: You equip the Wizard power Rewind and youíve got it upgraded to level 2. If something goes wrong and you drain, you can travel 4 seconds back in time and try again. (People that have played the racing game Grid will know exactly how this power works.)

Speaking strictly for myself, I donít think Iíll transfer my FX2 tables to FX3. Iíll probably buy a few table packs to see how my favorite tables look running on FX3ís engine but Iím too much of an old school pinball nut to switch entirely. I canít help it. I think that Rewind power is cheating. Even if youíre a good player, you still donít stand a chance against someone who has put dozens of hours into grinding those Wizard powers.

--End wall of text.

Speaking strictly for myself, I donít think Iíll transfer my FX2 tables to FX3. Iíll probably buy a few table packs to see how my favorite tables look running on FX3ís engine but Iím too much of an old school pinball nut to switch entirely. I canít help it. I think that Rewind power is cheating. Even if youíre a good player, you still donít stand a chance against someone who has put dozens of hours into grinding those Wizard powers.

--End wall of text.
    I'm pretty sure the transfer process doesn't remove the tables from FX2 so you can still download all ur tables on FX3 and be able to go back to them on FX2 whenever you wanted.

... Iím too much of an old school pinball nut to switch entirely. I canít help it...
    But there is still a classic mode in PFX3 where there aren't any upgrades or anything with a separate leaderboard.

Quote Originally Posted by deep View Post
    But there is still a classic mode in PFX3 where there aren't any upgrades or anything with a separate leaderboard.
    Yes. But without local high scores and an Operators Menu. And you must admit that one gameplay achievement per table is not that much. It just feels very trimmed down. The only real step up are the graphics.

It would have been great if we could have played the one ball challenge & the time challenges without Wizard powers in Classic mode. Instead itís exclusive to the rpg/upgrade side of the game.

I think I understand part of the reason why you guys chose not to do both, the amount of leaderboards would have become overwhelming, but it does shift the focus of the game.

Iím not saying FX3 is a bad game. Not at all. Itís just a completely different experience. The focus in FX3 lies on different game modes in which you can upgrade and equip ĎWizardí powers to help you score. This upgrading is the meat of the game.

For example, the three primary Wizard powers are Slow motion, Score Multiplier and Rewind.
    Before you start a game you must equip one of these Wizard powers. Once youíre playing, you activate them by pressing a special button on your joypad.

--End wall of text.
    Huh, the stuff about powers doesn't sound fun to me. For me the draw to Pinball is it's about your pinball skill and mastering the table.

Not sure what you're saying about transferring tables. Are you saying it would somehow remove the table from the previous game? That doesn't seem to make sense. Also, I don't think you'd have to buy your old tables as they'd be free.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter328 View Post
    Are you saying it would somehow remove the table from the previous game?
    From what I've understood, Yes. If you own Deadpool (for example) in FX2 and you decide to transfer the table to FX3, it will be removed from your FX2 DLC library and be placed in your FX3 DLC library.

The transfer is indeed free, which is pretty cool of Zen, because you get to play the table on the new FX3 engine with all the features of FX3.

However, if you decide not to transfer Deadpool, it remains in your FX2 DLC library but you can't play it in FX3.
    If you want Deadpool in both FX2 and FX3, you can go the FX3 store page, buy it and it will be added to your FX3 DLC library.

Akos, Deep, please correct me if I'm wrong but this what I've understood from all the faqs, threads and streams.

Also, sorry hunter, if I'm a little difficult to understand. English is not my first language. I try to be as clear as possible. I don't want to throw any false claims around.

Default transfering tables

So, apparently, we must transfer the tables to an unknown new engine and then lose the tables from the previous version. I hate this and dont see why we cant have them on both. Im on ps4 so Im currently on zen pinball 2. If we do not like the new engine or features of pinball fx3 can we then later transfer our games back to zen pinball 2? Not liking the idea of wizard modes, but as long as they are on seperate leaderboards I guess it doesnt really matter.

From what I've understood, Yes. If you own Deadpool (for example) in FX2 and you decide to transfer the table to FX3, it will be removed from your FX2 DLC library and be placed in your FX3 DLC library.

The transfer is indeed free, which is pretty cool of Zen, because you get to play the table on the new FX3 engine with all the features of FX3.

However, if you decide not to transfer Deadpool, it remains in your FX2 DLC library but you can't play it in FX3.
    If you want Deadpool in both FX2 and FX3, you can go the FX3 store page, buy it and it will be added to your FX3 DLC library.

Akos, Deep, please correct me if I'm wrong but this what I've understood from all the faqs, threads and streams.

Also, sorry hunter, if I'm a little difficult to understand. English is not my first language. I try to be as clear as possible. I don't want to throw any false claims around.
    Guys, we won't take anything that is already yours! Nothing will disappear what you already bought! Your collection remains intact. If you import your collection into PFX3, it remains in PFX2 either. You can play both. No worries!

Thanks Deep!
    I happily stand corrected

Yes. But without local high scores and an Operators Menu. And you must admit that one gameplay achievement per table is not that much. It just feels very trimmed down. The only real step up are the graphics.

It would have been great if we could have played the one ball challenge & the time challenges without Wizard powers in Classic mode. Instead it’s exclusive to the rpg/upgrade side of the game.

I think I understand part of the reason why you guys chose not to do both, the amount of leaderboards would have become overwhelming, but it does shift the focus of the game.
    Wait...there won't be local highscores in FX3? Please tell me I'm wrong. I've played pinball hundreds of hours, both FX2 and Pinball Arcade....while I enjoy playing alone and competing with Steam friends, I've played a ton of hours with friends on my couch! This has been part of our weekends, playing pinball together, drinking beer etc.
    Without local highscores, 70% of the fun is gone (I play in local multiplayer about 70% of the time)!

Local multiplayer games on PC are not that many! While consoles have more luck, the PC is often left out but without reason. More and more people play in front of a large TV and have several controllers.

I enjoy the social aspect of local multiplayer. Online multiplayer? Everyone sitting in front of their PC alone, starring at the screen without real friends, without real interaction. Pinball has always been a game with friends, be it real machines or computer games. Moreover, pinball is about highscores and competition...if there are no local highscores, pinball has been robbed of its heart. Sounds exeggerated but it's my opinion.

Deep, why are there no local highscores? What's the purpose? I understand that adding wizard powers or fancy stuff will attract new people but getting rid of local highscores is something I can't understand.
    By the way, pinball computer games are modern and easy for new players anyway with a lot going on on the screen and adjustable difficulty (balls per game, ball save duration etc.).
    Last edited by LeanderL; 09-09-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeanderL View Post
    Wait...there won't be local highscores in FX3? Please tell me I'm wrong. I've played pinball hundreds of hours, both FX2 and Pinball Arcade....while I enjoy playing alone and competing with Steam friends, I've played a ton of hours with friends on my couch! This has been part of our weekends, playing pinball together, drinking beer etc.
    Without local highscores, 70% of the fun is gone (I play in local multiplayer about 70% of the time)!

Local multiplayer games on PC are not that many! While consoles have more luck, the PC is often left out but without reason. More and more people play in front of a large TV and have several controllers.

I enjoy the social aspect of local multiplayer. Online multiplayer? Everyone sitting in front of their PC alone, starring at the screen without real friends, without real interaction. Pinball has always been a game with friends, be it real machines or computer games. Moreover, pinball is about highscores and competition...if there are no local highscores, pinball has been robbed of its heart. Sounds exeggerated but it's my opinion.

Deep, why are there no local highscores? What's the purpose? I understand that adding wizard powers or fancy stuff will attract new people but getting rid of local highscores is something I can't understand.
    By the way, pinball computer games are modern and easy for new players anyway with a lot going on on the screen and adjustable difficulty (balls per game, ball save duration etc.).
    We table designers were trying to bring local highscores to FX3 but we didn't succeed. The main cause that the leads brought up was to make the game more fluid and not break the gameplay with selecting 3 characters all the time. Maybe if they see how many players want it back, we can persuade them and it will find its way back to the game. I'm not giving up the fight for it. In the meantime use pen and paper, or an excel file, I don't have a better idea

Thanks for your reply, Deep! Good to hear the table designers know what pinball fans need and you told the devs to add it!
    We should start a petition!

I get the point but why not split it up? Singler player and online multiplayer: no initals, just your Steam ID...nothing to enter.
    Hot seat/local multiplayer: enter your initals!

As there are different leaderboards anyway (classic mode, wizard power mode), adding a seperate local leaderboard woundl't be difficult.

Local scores should also display your Steam ID's score, for example: (my initals would be Lea)

Leander_AT
    friend 1
    Lea
    friend 2
    Lea
    Lea

If the Steam account holder (Leander_AT) posts a new highscore in hot seat, it will look like:

Lea
    Leander_AT
    friend 1
    Lea
    etc...

And of course the Steam account holder will know his initals and won't mind that both his ID and his initals are displayed.

=====

Playing pinball takes time, both in single player mode and hot seat...having to add initials takes seconds and is no big deal, devs! Or just let us save initials and pick them from a list...

OR just let us have local profiles...like in Infinite Minigolf.

Player 1 = Steam ID holder
    Players 2-4 may sign in to their local profiles that are only used in local multiplayer mode.
    Signing in takes place before playing a table!

1) Signing in
    2) entering local multiplayer mode
    3) picking tables and playing them

Local multiplayer mode is a full menu option and you are no longer prompted to play single player or hot seat every time you start a new table!

Every local profile is set up within a minute...adding the player's name, adding his/her initials... DONE!

Then you start local multiplayer with player 1 = Steam ID holder, player 2 = local profile, player 3 = local profile 2 etc.

This way, you only load every player's profile once and before entering hot seat mode.
    As player 1 is always Steam ID holder and the game knows the names and initials of players 2-4, you do NOT have to enter initals during playing one or more tables!

After creating local profiles once within a minute, all you have to do is load them when you want to start hot seat mode...no big deal!
    Last edited by LeanderL; 09-09-2017 at 10:11 PM.

We table designers were trying to bring local highscores to FX3 but we didn't succeed. The main cause that the leads brought up was to make the game more fluid and not break the gameplay with selecting 3 characters all the time. Maybe if they see how many players want it back, we can persuade them and it will find its way back to the game. I'm not giving up the fight for it. In the meantime use pen and paper, or an excel file, I don't have a better idea
    I would like local high scores back. It makes it feel like an acomplishment whenever I get to enter my initials, even if I don't get the top score. Since I'm not reguarly breaking my number one score its fun to play and see I've managed to beat one of my old scores.

Deep, please forward my local profiles idea to the devs! Just look in Infinite Minigolf...let us add local profiles with initials...maybe even for player 1.

First, create profiles: profile name and initals, maybe avatar for local player ... has to be done only once!

Then, every time you start FX3 and want to play hot seat:

example:
    player 1 -> load profile -> player 1 is Lea
    player 2 -> load profile -> player 2 is Dee
    player 3 -> load profile -> player 3 is Sam

No initals to enter during play!

Deep, please forward my local profiles idea to the devs! Just look in Infinite Minigolf...let us add local profiles with initials...maybe even for player 1.

First, create profiles: profile name and initals, maybe avatar for local player ... has to be done only once!

example:

I think this would be a great idea. I play local with my kids and they are super excited when they can enter their initials; now it will be even harder to turn them into pinball maniacs.

example:

Dutch Pinball did this with their Bride of Pinbot 2.0, so it shouldn't be too bad to implement.

Deep, thanks for confirming we can keep tables in ZP2 and also bring over to FX3.

Yeah, since it is not a technical thing (didn't think it would be), we really need to add back local Top 10 leaderboards. From the outcry here, it is important and takes like 5 seconds to enter your initials (or less if saved). Hardly disruptive.

In at least the iOS version, a lot (all?) of the newer tables remembers your initials if you are the primary player/account - so you don't have to "break the flow" too much when you put in your initials because you did well. When you first play a zen table - you see the enter initials screen a lot because you are replacing the low default scores with your initials (nice to have it auto filled). Eventually they are ALL your very best local high scores (my pinball friends aren't into video game pinball - i am trying) and you don't see that screen again unless you have an above average game and start beating your lowest top scores and raising the bar even more!

Tell the leads to go to the pinball venues in Hungary with some friends - and when one of them achieves a high score it produces a badge of honor feeling to very humbly and with expert precision and speed, put your initials into a machine. (even better than the high score replay knock).

I do get what they are saying with break the flow - maybe the local high scores could be kept with the classic mode (no-powerups).

I am not understanding the break up the flow argument?

The game is over and the time needed is so minimal (and even less with saved initials).

Is the concern for real-time multiplayer where you have to wait watching someone else put in their initials? If not, I don't get it. And I can't think there will be much real-time multiplayer play (aka hot seat in SW Pinball). Just not a huge user base.

The way I understood multiplayer to be was more challenges, rankings, leaderboards, etc against other real players. Rock Band 4 Rivals expansion does this well with Seasons team mode where your team tries to advance to the next tier each week and with Challenges you earn badges for but play at your own convenience.

I hope their is an App to check scores, challenge progression, etc but maybe in time.

In the Steam thread below, Akos, one of the devs, said:

"I'll definitely bring this up here in the office. If anyone feels the same way, please add your voice to the conversation, and we'll see what we can do."

Please post in the Steam thread if you also want to see local highscores in FX3:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/442120...scn=1505142881

In the Steam thread below, Akos, one of the devs, said:

"I'll definitely bring this up here in the office. If anyone feels the same way, please add your voice to the conversation, and we'll see what we can do."

Please post in the Steam thread if you also want to see local highscores in FX3:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/442120...scn=1505142881
    I am probably not going to create an account to post there but cool you linked this thread so they could see the support here.

I would also like to voice my opinion that removing the local leaderboards is whack, but I don't have a steam account, so I am doing it here

Count me in as another veteran ZP player that wants to keep local scores. It's one of those small immersive things that makes you briefly forget that your playing a video game and not a real machine. And for those with virtual pins who like competing with friends, it's a pretty huge oversight not to include local high scores.

I don't have a lot of time to play these days so prefer shorter, more intense games e.g. one of my favourite pinball games is "Revenge of the Rob-O-Bot" as part of the Atomic Pinball Collection. Pinball FX2 has never been the ideal game for local leaderboards and multiplayer as games take too long as soon as people reach a decent level of proficiency. I see value though in still having local leaderboards if we can have alternate gameplay modes (one ball only, time limited etc.) where a bunch of people can play in short succession and you can repeat the process a couple of times during an evening.

I long for a leaderboard (local and online) that provide additional information on key aspects as to how the score was achieved. Something like: score - main modes completed - side modes completed - times wizard mode completed (e.g. 2 300 000 - 7/12 - 3/6 - 2 times). I will place much more value on a high score where the wizard mode was completed a couple times compared to a high score where it wasn't completed once and only certain modes and side modes were completed as you can then be certain modes were spammed.
    Last edited by Cloda; 09-17-2017 at 06:57 AM.

I agree Cloda. More focus on Wizard modes, speed running, etc. would have been great! My hopes for FX3 lay in that direction too.

I also immediately liked the addition of the one ball challenge and the time challenges. Unfortunately those challenges are exclusive to the upgrading part of the game and that’s just not my favorite part of FX3. I love arcade pinball. I can’t help it. And FX2, video game graphics and all, was at heart still an arcade pinball game. (It had an Operators Menu to prove it )

From the beginning of the beta, I felt two essential features were missing in FX3. No matter what I liked and didn’t like about the rest of the game.

The first feature is the topic of this thread. Local high scores. There’s simply no excuse for doing away with those. I don’t have many real life friends that love pinball so unfortunately my local high score rankings are mostly populated by ‘AAA’ but I’m still firmly on the side of those lucky enough to have such marvellous friends.

(I also like local high scores because it gives you the chance to keep an eye on your score progress on a table.)

The second feature is not completely missing but is severely lacking right now. Gameplay achievements. Pinball FX2 has the greatest achievement medals I’ve ever seen in any game on Steam. Period. And I’m certain I’m not the only one who feels like this. On my Steam friend feed they are by far the highest rated screenshots and the ones that get the most comments. They are also responsible for keeping the older tables alive. Players keep coming back for one more attempt at those elusive medals.

You can collect 3d/concept art items in FX3 by completing certain goals in the challenge modes. You’ve got an in-game page where you can look at them and they are nice to look at once or twice. 10 years ago collecting them all would have been a good in-game goal.

But these days, it’s all about achievements and the fact that FX3 has got only one(!) gameplay achievement per table is a huge let down imo. The only excuse I can think of is that Zen has no idea how many achievement hunters are out there. Maybe they are not aware of sites like Astats? With the success of games like Zup?

Not only has Zen cut the amount of achievements in half (on Steam at least), they’ve also kept the same achievements as in FX2. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I first booted up Biolab in FX3 and noticed that the only achievement was the Cozy Cookie achievement (Amass your first million with the Mad Professor watching.) You can collect this achievement with just one super skillshot
    Last edited by MuddyWolf_Beta; 09-16-2017 at 11:22 PM.

Like Cloda said, a hot seat mode where each played had x minutes to play would be nice. This way, a game with pros wouldn't take long! Maybe 5, 10 and 15 minute turns would be great.

Local highscores with initals are crucial! I started two petitions in both the FX2 and FX3 Steam forums with tons of replies so far. Devs, please add them!!!

Agree that a local score is good just to have an idea of the scores we can make on a table after a long break on it.

A other big point is the superscore which must stay the total of the all the scores in normal mode (no boosted mode, no 5min mode/1ball mode etc..) and only them !

Can you say what happen to the superscore on FX3 ?