X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • McLovin
    Marketing Manager
    • Apr 2017

Pinball FX3 Developer Update from Mel Kirk

Pinball FX3 is releasing next week on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. The game is a beast, launching with 68 tables, a host of new features, and backwards compatibility. Zen is attempting to do things that very few developers have ever done, if ever.

To be totally honest, there are a few things that could potentially not go so smoothly at the very beginning, so I wanted to write this letter to inform you all of some potential issues we may see on launch day, and hope you will all be patient and help us out should anything happen.

Backwards Compatibility is a HUGE challenge. The store teams from Microsoft, Sony and Valve have all gone above and beyond for us, helping us pioneer solutions so you can bring your tables from Pinball FX2 to Pinball FX3 for FREE. There are tables that some of you purchased in 2010 – and will be able to play in a brand new game in 2017! We’re talking about jumping generations of technology and carrying history forward with us, which is difficult but exciting.

These backward compatibility solutions are not able to be tested in a live environment, so they are theoretical at the moment. We fully expect them to work, but we cannot test before launch, which is cause for some caution. There is a chance that some wires could be crossed up in the back-end, and it could take some time to sort out should these wires be crossed. It would be really awesome if the community could help us out and let us know what you are seeing when importing tables.

We ran into an issue on Windows 10 which we announced last week on the Xbox Wire, preventing us from allowing previous Windows 10 purchases to import to Pinball FX3. We hope to find a solution to this at some point. Please note, NEW purchases on Windows 10 are universal with Xbox One as the game is XPA enabled.

To wrap it up, we know that backwards compatibility will work as desired, but some problems may come up regardless at launch. We did successfully launch PFX2 in 2010 with backwards compatibility, but we did not have nearly as many in-game items or players, and we were only jumping one tech generation.

Anyway, thanks for sticking with Zen Studios as we continue our dedication to amazing player value and keeping the community together. We have a long roadmap for Pinball FX3, with new content and features coming all the time.

We look forward to celebrating with you next week.

Best,
    Mel Kirk
    VP, Publishing
  • ShoryukenToTheChin
    Writer of Guides
    • Apr 2011

Thoughtfully written. We are all praying for a smooth launch, you lot thoroughly deserve it. Of course things can happen, especially with all of us foaming at the mouth to sink our teeth into PFX3. I am sure the stores for those platforms are going to be hammered on release.
    As someone who has had the privilege of seeing Zen evolve over the years. I can say without a shadow of a doubt, that Zen just goes above and beyond with its fan base. I am sure the Community thinks just the same. So lets all welcome PFX3 with open arms come release!
    sigpic

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

Comment

• MuddyWolf_Beta
      • Jun 2017

Well, I’m probably one of your least favorite vocal critics I’ve disagreed with you in the past, I’ve disagreed with you during the beta (I still want more achievements!) and I’ll probably disagree with you in the future every now and then too. But I hope you guys also know it’s because I’m a huge fan. I just want the best for the game and I’m willing to fight for it

FX2 has given me so many hours of entertainment. Thank you for that. I hope many more are still to come with FX3.
      You must be all crunched out by now, and the release bugs haven’t even arrived yet, but hopefully you’ll find some time to celebrate among yourselves too.

Good luck from Amsterdam.
      I hope the game will be a huge success.

Comment

• tfhfony
        Pinball Wizard
        • Mar 2013

Well, this is a big thing you guys (and girls?) have done, so... we can understand it if things won't go 100%. If we run intoi issues, we will let you know and be patient!
        Anyway, good luck on your release next week. I'm looking forward to it!!!
        https://www.arnauddeklerk.com <- Find out more about me!
        https://www.file-hunter.com <- Play Amiga & MSX Pinball games online

Comment

• Georgyboy
          • Jun 2017

Like Muddy I've a lot of things which I would like improve during the beta but I play so much on FX2 that final version on FX3 makes me very impatient ...So 3 days left !!!.
          Thanks Zen for all you had already make, thanks for the streams on twitch, and specials mentions to you McLovin for that and to Mister Deep who makes a lot of things that I can't imagine for improve the most of things on tables, I'm waiting for Back to the futur it's unbearable !

Comment

• L33
            • May 2015

Nice post...I'm guessing the scale of this is huge...best of luck for launch day...hoping all goes well for you guys/gals

L33.

Comment

• surf1der
              Pinball Wizard
              • Jan 2012

I believe this post is a good example of a crisis management technique called "getting ahead." Getting ahead of a bad situation or potential bad situation by informing others of the bad situation before it becomes public. It's a great technique that helps temper expectations, particularly if you're not sure how smooth the rollout will be. I would suggest you send a similar message on all of your social media feeds on the release day of fx3. I imagine most of your fan base won't see this, but on release day if there is an issue with table imports or anything else, they will flock to zen's twitter, facebook, forums, etc. to complain. Best to have this message at the top of your feeds and not buried under other messages.

Comment

• Vincent
                Pinball Wizard
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by McLovin
                There are tables that some of you purchased in 2010 – and will be able to play in a brand new game in 2017! We’re talking about jumping generations of technology and carrying history forward with us, which is difficult but exciting.

Hum, sorry but I don't buy that. All PFX2 tables made their way to the latest Steam upgrades, including 4K support. Now don't tell me it's such a challenge to make them compatible with PFX3...
                Last edited by Vincent; 09-23-2017, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• tfhfony
                  Pinball Wizard
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Vincent
                  Hum, sorry but I don't buy that. All PFX2 tables made their way to the latest Steam upgrades, including 4K support. Now don't tell me it's such a challenge to make them compatible with PFX3...
                  There is more in the world then Steam.
                  Especially the Sony PSN is known for the fact that stuff like cross-buying doesn't always work right.
                  https://www.arnauddeklerk.com <- Find out more about me!
                  https://www.file-hunter.com <- Play Amiga & MSX Pinball games online

Comment

• McLovin
                    Marketing Manager
                    • Apr 2017

Thanks everyone for being so awesome. We are releasing tomorrow, super pumped!

Comment

• Deco
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by McLovin
                      Thanks everyone for being so awesome. We are releasing tomorrow, super pumped!
                      i wonder if the eu release is tomorrow too or will we have to wait till Wednesday?

Comment

• crackervizzo
                        • Mar 2011

PFX3 Import Update

UPDATE:

Imports are looking good! It might be a little clunky tomorrow, but I've just successfully imported 64 pinball tables from Pinball FX2 to Pinball FX3 from Xbox One to Windows 10! This was the platform with the biggest risk, so we are feeling good.

PlayStation and Steam seem very stable and we're expecting smooth sailing.

We plan to release some 'tips' for a smooth experience tomorrow once we can confirm everything is working correctly.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

• crackervizzo
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Vincent
                          There are things we can and can't do at launch. Simple as that. PFX3 will likely have a never-ending shelf life, so we will circle around and update once launch is complete.

Comment

• ShoryukenToTheChin
                            Writer of Guides
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by crackervizzo
                            Snip!
                            That's very good to hear. Hope that everything goes smoothly tomorrow.
                            sigpic

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
                            Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
                            *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

Comment

• SirKhalid
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by crackervizzo
                              UPDATE:

Imports are looking good! It might be a little clunky tomorrow, but I've just successfully imported 64 pinball tables from Pinball FX2 to Pinball FX3 from Xbox One to Windows 10! This was the platform with the biggest risk, so we are feeling good.

PlayStation and Steam seem very stable and we're expecting smooth sailing.

We plan to release some 'tips' for a smooth experience tomorrow once we can confirm everything is working correctly.

Thanks everyone!
                              Good news! Hope there won't be any issues forthe purchase that came from Xbox 360.

Are you guys going to keep selling the tables on Pinball FX2, will it delisted? Like you guys did for FX 1? If it will not be delisted, will you guys still be doing sale?

Comment

Working...