Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maxitsu
    • Nov 2017

FX3 on the Nintendo Switch

I was hyped for the switch version sadly i am a bit underwhelmed. Specially the graphics looks horrible to me. I assumed the game was not very demanding so i assumed it was very close to PS4/PC graphics. But IMO the diffrence is to big (for now atleast?) Jagged lines are very distracting. I have a big table-Collection on PC And wanted something more convenient to play. Maybe i need to go for the middle and use the PS4 version instead of the switch.

The new tables are great, well designed. Haven't played to much though.

The vertical use of the switch is great, not sure it will be my favorite view though. I have a suggestion. Not sure if its possible but isn't it better to tilt the screen towards the left (instead right). Becaus the left joy-con D-pad buttons are morecentral, it feels more natural, specially when you use two hands(fingers) for the buttons?
    Last edited by Maxitsu; 12-12-2017, 08:09 PM.
  • hajdu
    Community Representative
    • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Maxitsu
    I was hyped for the switch version sadly i am a bit underwhelmed. Specially the graphics looks horrible to me. I assumed the game was not very demanding so i assumed it was very close to PS4/PC graphics. But IMO the diffrence is to big (for now atleast?) Jagged lines are very distracting. I have a big table-Collection on PC And wanted something more convenient to play. Maybe i need to go for the middle and use the PS4 version instead of the switch.

The new tables are great, well designed. Haven't played to much though.

The vertical use of the switch is great, not sure it will be my favorite view though. I have a suggestion. Not sure if its possible but isn't it better to tilt the screen towards the left (instead right). Becaus the left joy-con D-pad buttons are morecentral, it feels more natural, specially when you use two hands(fingers) for the buttons?
    Hey there,
    we are now gathering the feedbacks about the Switch version of FX3 and I also added yours to the list. Thank you very much for the ideas it'll really help us evolve our game making!

Comment

• Acefondu
      • Dec 2010

Yeah it seems like the game is 720p docked if my untrained eye can guess. But the game runs smooth docked which can't be said about portable mode where the ball looks like it's teleporting around especially if you turn off ball trail. The frame-rate is likely the cause, it needs to be smoothed out. I'll take smooth play over graphics, but I can't disagree I'd rather it look at least on par with the Xbox One version since the Switch is capable of at least that much I think.

Comment

• Ultimetalhead
        • Dec 2017

Docked looks and plays great, but the portable mode is definitely rough. The graphics themselves look fine but the frame rate is incredibly jarring. I would definitely prefer a graphical downgrade if it meant having a consistent frame rate. Even better if it was 60. It's very noticeable in a game focused on precision inputs and visual feedback.

Also good lord Son of Zeus is going to kill me. That weird spin target thing throws the ball SDTM every other time it seems

Comment

• Maxitsu
          • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Acefondu
          Yeah it seems like the game is 720p docked if my untrained eye can guess. But the game runs smooth docked which can't be said about portable mode where the ball looks like it's teleporting around especially if you turn off ball trail. The frame-rate is likely the cause, it needs to be smoothed out. I'll take smooth play over graphics, but I can't disagree I'd rather it look at least on par with the Xbox One version since the Switch is capable of at least that much I think.
          I think its capable if you look to other games, but then again there are alot of games on the switch with bad ports. Seems the switch has some learning curve for dev's.

Anyway I hooked the switch on a 55" TV And ran FX3, at the same time i ran FX3 on the PS4, i kept rapidly changing between the two systems.
          Once i saw the diffrence i could't believe the diffrence was that big. Maybe i have to stop comparing Switch games with PC and PS4 but then again FX3 is not a big RPG or open world game.

Comment

• Acefondu
            • Dec 2010

I think its capable if you look to other games, but then again there are alot of games on the switch with bad ports. Seems the switch has some learning curve for dev's.

Anyway I hooked the switch on a 55" TV And ran FX3, at the same time i ran FX3 on the PS4, i kept rapidly changing between the two systems.
            Once i saw the diffrence i could't believe the diffrence was that big. Maybe i have to stop comparing Switch games with PC and PS4 but then again FX3 is not a big RPG or open world game.

lol, I did the same thing on my PS4 but I could tell the difference right away too. I should compare PS3 too just for the heck of it, my memory makes me think that looked better but I could be wrong. Ultimately if they can get portable mode working well I really won't care about docked graphics. I noticed the Stern game released the same night and that game runs buttery smooth in portable mode. I'm sure the engines are different and everything, but what it at least tells us is the Switch is capable of running a game like this well.

Comment

• Maxitsu
              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by hajdu
              Hey there,
              we are now gathering the feedbacks about the Switch version of FX3 and I also added yours to the list. Thank you very much for the ideas it'll really help us evolve our game making!
              Thank you,

Also are you guys working in the future on a 1080p mode for docked (in the future), or is it not possible?

Comment

• hajdu
                Community Representative
                • Nov 2017

Thank you,

Also are you guys working in the future on a 1080p mode for docked (in the future), or is it not possible?
                Hey,
                the graphical update right now is not the number one on our task list but we do hope that we can implement this in the future!
                Kind regards!

Comment

• Maxitsu
                  • Nov 2017

Hey,
                  the graphical update right now is not the number one on our task list but we do hope that we can implement this in the future!
                  Kind regards!
                  Okidoki, I hope it will be updated at some time...

Comment

• cantankerous--
                    Pinball Wizard
                    • Nov 2016

Hey,
                    Kind regards!
                    I dont understand why this doesnt take precedence over every other thing, it's your latest release and by just a few reviews I have already not downloaded it onto either of the switch's that my family owns. I mean if it's as bad graphically as described what would be the point? It's not like a console where you have endless amounts of memory at your disposal to download something and if it's shit you just delete it. I will pass until the graphics and/or frame rate are updated.
                    Accomplishments in real life

1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
                    2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
                    3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.
                    sigpic

Comment

• SirenXp
                      • Sep 2012

My interest on the Switch is that you can play it portable. As of now that really isn't possible, the frame rate is just appalling. I didn't have high hope before going into it which I guess is a good job because I know others were quite hyped about its release and it's never nice to be let down.

Comment

• Tech101
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by cantankerous--
                        I dont understand why this doesnt take precedence over every other thing, it's your latest release and by just a few reviews I have already not downloaded it onto either of the switch's that my family owns. I mean if it's as bad graphically as described what would be the point? It's not like a console where you have endless amounts of memory at your disposal to download something and if it's shit you just delete it. I will pass until the graphics and/or frame rate are updated.
                        I'm not sure what it's worth to you but don't forget you can get the 2 free tables now but if a patch comes later you won't be able to get them for free. Get the game and then archive it if you care about the space. Then when the right patch comes later you will have those tables.
                        Proud member of the Hyna Gang! Keeping pinball alive on the Wii U!

Comment

• shogun00
                          Pinball Wizard
                          • Feb 2011

It's obvious that fixing the framerate is the biggest priority for Zen. I don't know about you, but I prefer the game running smoothly over pretty graphics any day.

Comment

• cantankerous--
                            Pinball Wizard
                            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by shogun00
                            It's obvious that fixing the framerate is the biggest priority for Zen. I don't know about you, but I prefer the game running smoothly over pretty graphics any day.
                            I just dont understand why my android smartphone plays pinball just fine and looks great and they couldnt manage it on the switch. Per Tech101's suggestion I am downloading it anyway and if time permits record my experience and post here.
                            Last edited by cantankerous--; 12-15-2017, 10:42 AM.
                            Accomplishments in real life

1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
                            2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
                            3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.
                            sigpic

Comment

• shogun00
                              Pinball Wizard
                              • Feb 2011

I just dont understand why my android smartphone plays pinball just fine and looks great and they couldnt manage it on the switch.
                              You're comparing apples and oranges here. Zen Pinball for Android uses the PFX2 engine. It's designed to work with lower end (and old) hardware. PFX3 on the other hand, is an all new game engine and is designed to run on higher end hardware.

The biggest thing is that this is an all new engine, which is bound to have bugs in it. We went through the samething when Zen/Pinball FX 2 first released out as well. Not to mention, PFX3 wasn't designed with the Switch in mind. It's going to take sometime for Zen to get it fully optimize.

Comment

Working...