Thread: FX3 on the Nintendo Switch

Default FX3 on the Nintendo Switch

I was hyped for the switch version sadly i am a bit underwhelmed. Specially the graphics looks horrible to me. I assumed the game was not very demanding so i assumed it was very close to PS4/PC graphics. But IMO the diffrence is to big (for now atleast?) Jagged lines are very distracting. I have a big table-Collection on PC And wanted something more convenient to play. Maybe i need to go for the middle and use the PS4 version instead of the switch.

The new tables are great, well designed. Haven't played to much though.

The vertical use of the switch is great, not sure it will be my favorite view though. I have a suggestion. Not sure if its possible but isn't it better to tilt the screen towards the left (instead right). Becaus the left joy-con D-pad buttons are morecentral, it feels more natural, specially when you use two hands(fingers) for the buttons?
    Last edited by Maxitsu; 12-12-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxitsu View Post
    I was hyped for the switch version sadly i am a bit underwhelmed. Specially the graphics looks horrible to me. I assumed the game was not very demanding so i assumed it was very close to PS4/PC graphics. But IMO the diffrence is to big (for now atleast?) Jagged lines are very distracting. I have a big table-Collection on PC And wanted something more convenient to play. Maybe i need to go for the middle and use the PS4 version instead of the switch.

The new tables are great, well designed. Haven't played to much though.

The vertical use of the switch is great, not sure it will be my favorite view though. I have a suggestion. Not sure if its possible but isn't it better to tilt the screen towards the left (instead right). Becaus the left joy-con D-pad buttons are morecentral, it feels more natural, specially when you use two hands(fingers) for the buttons?
    Hey there,
    we are now gathering the feedbacks about the Switch version of FX3 and I also added yours to the list. Thank you very much for the ideas it'll really help us evolve our game making!

Yeah it seems like the game is 720p docked if my untrained eye can guess. But the game runs smooth docked which can't be said about portable mode where the ball looks like it's teleporting around especially if you turn off ball trail. The frame-rate is likely the cause, it needs to be smoothed out. I'll take smooth play over graphics, but I can't disagree I'd rather it look at least on par with the Xbox One version since the Switch is capable of at least that much I think.

Docked looks and plays great, but the portable mode is definitely rough. The graphics themselves look fine but the frame rate is incredibly jarring. I would definitely prefer a graphical downgrade if it meant having a consistent frame rate. Even better if it was 60. It's very noticeable in a game focused on precision inputs and visual feedback.

Also good lord Son of Zeus is going to kill me. That weird spin target thing throws the ball SDTM every other time it seems

Quote Originally Posted by Acefondu View Post
    Yeah it seems like the game is 720p docked if my untrained eye can guess. But the game runs smooth docked which can't be said about portable mode where the ball looks like it's teleporting around especially if you turn off ball trail. The frame-rate is likely the cause, it needs to be smoothed out. I'll take smooth play over graphics, but I can't disagree I'd rather it look at least on par with the Xbox One version since the Switch is capable of at least that much I think.
    I think its capable if you look to other games, but then again there are alot of games on the switch with bad ports. Seems the switch has some learning curve for dev's.

Anyway I hooked the switch on a 55" TV And ran FX3, at the same time i ran FX3 on the PS4, i kept rapidly changing between the two systems.
    Once i saw the diffrence i could't believe the diffrence was that big. Maybe i have to stop comparing Switch games with PC and PS4 but then again FX3 is not a big RPG or open world game.

I think its capable if you look to other games, but then again there are alot of games on the switch with bad ports. Seems the switch has some learning curve for dev's.

Anyway I hooked the switch on a 55" TV And ran FX3, at the same time i ran FX3 on the PS4, i kept rapidly changing between the two systems.
    Once i saw the diffrence i could't believe the diffrence was that big. Maybe i have to stop comparing Switch games with PC and PS4 but then again FX3 is not a big RPG or open world game.

lol, I did the same thing on my PS4 but I could tell the difference right away too. I should compare PS3 too just for the heck of it, my memory makes me think that looked better but I could be wrong. Ultimately if they can get portable mode working well I really won't care about docked graphics. I noticed the Stern game released the same night and that game runs buttery smooth in portable mode. I'm sure the engines are different and everything, but what it at least tells us is the Switch is capable of running a game like this well.

Quote Originally Posted by hajdu View Post
    Hey there,
    we are now gathering the feedbacks about the Switch version of FX3 and I also added yours to the list. Thank you very much for the ideas it'll really help us evolve our game making!
    Thank you,

Also are you guys working in the future on a 1080p mode for docked (in the future), or is it not possible?

Thank you,

Also are you guys working in the future on a 1080p mode for docked (in the future), or is it not possible?
    Hey,
    the graphical update right now is not the number one on our task list but we do hope that we can implement this in the future!
    Kind regards!

Hey,
    the graphical update right now is not the number one on our task list but we do hope that we can implement this in the future!
    Kind regards!
    Okidoki, I hope it will be updated at some time...

Hey,
    Kind regards!
    I dont understand why this doesnt take precedence over every other thing, it's your latest release and by just a few reviews I have already not downloaded it onto either of the switch's that my family owns. I mean if it's as bad graphically as described what would be the point? It's not like a console where you have endless amounts of memory at your disposal to download something and if it's shit you just delete it. I will pass until the graphics and/or frame rate are updated.
    Accomplishments in real life

1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
    2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
    3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.

My interest on the Switch is that you can play it portable. As of now that really isn't possible, the frame rate is just appalling. I didn't have high hope before going into it which I guess is a good job because I know others were quite hyped about its release and it's never nice to be let down.

Quote Originally Posted by cantankerous-- View Post
    I dont understand why this doesnt take precedence over every other thing, it's your latest release and by just a few reviews I have already not downloaded it onto either of the switch's that my family owns. I mean if it's as bad graphically as described what would be the point? It's not like a console where you have endless amounts of memory at your disposal to download something and if it's shit you just delete it. I will pass until the graphics and/or frame rate are updated.
    I'm not sure what it's worth to you but don't forget you can get the 2 free tables now but if a patch comes later you won't be able to get them for free. Get the game and then archive it if you care about the space. Then when the right patch comes later you will have those tables.

It's obvious that fixing the framerate is the biggest priority for Zen. I don't know about you, but I prefer the game running smoothly over pretty graphics any day.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    It's obvious that fixing the framerate is the biggest priority for Zen. I don't know about you, but I prefer the game running smoothly over pretty graphics any day.
    I just dont understand why my android smartphone plays pinball just fine and looks great and they couldnt manage it on the switch. Per Tech101's suggestion I am downloading it anyway and if time permits record my experience and post here.
    Last edited by cantankerous--; 12-15-2017 at 11:42 AM.

1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
    3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.

I just dont understand why my android smartphone plays pinball just fine and looks great and they couldnt manage it on the switch.
    You're comparing apples and oranges here. Zen Pinball for Android uses the PFX2 engine. It's designed to work with lower end (and old) hardware. PFX3 on the other hand, is an all new game engine and is designed to run on higher end hardware.

The biggest thing is that this is an all new engine, which is bound to have bugs in it. We went through the samething when Zen/Pinball FX 2 first released out as well. Not to mention, PFX3 wasn't designed with the Switch in mind. It's going to take sometime for Zen to get it fully optimize.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    You're comparing apples and oranges here. Zen Pinball for Android uses the PFX2 engine. It's designed to work with lower end (and old) hardware. PFX3 on the other hand, is an all new game engine and is designed to run on higher end hardware.

The biggest thing is that this is an all new engine, which is bound to have bugs in it. We went through the samething when Zen/Pinball FX 2 first released out as well. Not to mention, PFX3 wasn't designed with the Switch in mind. It's going to take sometime for Zen to get it fully optimize.
    I fully understand the difference between apples and oranges, but I should never be sold an apple and be told its an orange when really its an apple that one day with due diligence on the developers side may one day become an orange, then on top of that say,

Originally Posted by hajdu View Post
    Hey,
    Kind regards!
    Yes, I like oranges more than apples.

Finally downloaded. On tv it looks less than 720p. On handheld not bad horizontal, but how do you put it into vertical mode?

Ok - button changes orientation. The touch screen gameplay sucks for me and doesnt seem to accurately respond, but maybe Im just old and dont know where the sweet spots to touch are. Going back to my ps4.

I played Pinball FX2 on WiiU when it was released.
    I was fun for me but not great.

I downloaded the free version of FX3 on switch.
    I appreciate that there are now 3 free tables which dont have a timer on them to play with.
    The 3 free tables are a lot of fun and are a big improvement over the FX2 tables i played.

So far i played the game for 90% in portable mode and enjoy some quick pick up and play pinball action.

I want to share some thoughts /problems on my experience with the game thus far.

Portable mode play:

Vertical mode
    There is a bug / ui issue that when you have to enter your initials after you have a high score the Ui is not vertical as well.
    Its weird and confusing.

Table son of Zeus
    I experience slowndown on this table, didnt had this issue as much on Adventure land or Sorcerer's lair.
    As i am planning to buy some tables i am worried this is a issue on other tables as well ?

Docked mode :

Graphics
    I noticed the game looked low res and jaggie, this in on a 27 inch full hd monitor.
    The game looks much better in portable mode but this could be because of the smaller screen size.

General / overall :

The ui
    Same style as Pinball FX2 , to me its boring and not inviting and its nowhere near quality of the tables and game itself.
    The table collection menu could use a better and / or more exciting preview of the tables themself instead of a small logo.

Views
    Like FX2 there are a lot of view options but somehow the view i am looking for isnt in the game and i end up switching between view 4 and 6.

I don't find it unplayable at all, I wouldn't know there was a problem if people weren't complaining about it. Having said that, I fired up my PC based cabinet last night for the first time in ages and it looks 3 times better.

Hey hajdu. What about frame rates in handheld mode? Is that something you guys think can be fixed and/or are working on?

Hello!
    Can you create the option for turn off vibration on Joy Cons for your game? OR, maybe, to change a level of vibration (like in Mario Odissey done). Current vibration level is too high. I know, console have turn off vibro option, but I very dislike to go into options each time when changing a game.
    Last edited by Atrill; 12-25-2017 at 09:55 PM.

Oddly enough I haven't ran into any issues with my game, I mean yeah the only table I got sop far is Portal (along with the two free ones)...but the game looks just fine to me. I haven't noticed any lag either, even when I played it in handheld mode.

The only problems I've noticed are with the leaderboards, sometimes the Friends section doesn't display properly. Tech and I are friends on the Switch yet his name never shows up for me.

Aside from that, I wouldn't mind an option to automatically put your name in when finishing a normal single player game. Kinda annoying that I have to put it in every single time.
    *insert AMAZING signature here*

Hi guys, new Switch user here. Pinball FX3 is the first game I bought on Switch eshop and it is great, but i have few suggestions.
    I play only in handheld undocked mode.

Vertical mode - great feature, but please add an option to change the orientation also to other side, because left joycon is better for vertical play, its buttons are centered.
    Also it seems I cannot use wizard powerups in vertical mode (with joycons attached on console), because there is no button assigned to activate the powerup.

Framerate - please add an option to lower graphics and run in 60fps (undocked), I prefer smooth framerate over better graphics. Because with current fps, I feel eye strain after longer play sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeynator3000 View Post
    Oddly enough I haven't ran into any issues with my game, I mean yeah the only table I got sop far is Portal (along with the two free ones)...but the game looks just fine to me. I haven't noticed any lag either, even when I played it in handheld mode.

The only problems I've noticed are with the leaderboards, sometimes the Friends section doesn't display properly. Tech and I are friends on the Switch yet his name never shows up for me.

Aside from that, I wouldn't mind an option to automatically put your name in when finishing a normal single player game. Kinda annoying that I have to put it in every single time.
    Last point first, those are only local scores for entering your name so all you really need to do is press plus and skip it. No need to enter a name if you're the only one using your system.

I've also noticed if I keep my view point to the first setting the game seems to run a lot better in handheld mode. Switch to setting 5 where I like it and you will notice Son of Zeus run rather horribly. Even at setting one while much better I still see it slow from time to time. The other tables don't seem to be nearly as bad as SoZ.