Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Match Up Mode Question

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas / The Silver State
    Posts
    1,042

    Default Match Up Mode Question

    Where on the interface/ menu can I find this mode? Where should I see it? Thank you!
    http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ The City Is My Church

  2. #2
    Senior Member shogun00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Western NY (USA)
    Posts
    2,711

    Default

    On the main menu, right next to "my collection".

  3. #3

    Default

    And get prepared to grind,until you're nauseous;

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Hate to say it, but this mode is completely pointless. While the idea to establish a pinball league is grand, the execution leaves much to be desired, unfortunately. The best way to grab league points is to beat the red 'player' (the score is actually your own) just by a margin and then let time run out. So that your next score to beat won't go up. Easy 40 points bagged but anything but a challenge. Domination bonus isn't worth it until it's your last game to play for the season.
    You guessed right, that's not a league, or even a matchup at all. A more fitting name would be 'Solitaire' or 'Lowball' badge-to-show-off grind.
    Let's hope that this 'matchup' mode will experience a total conceptual overhaul someday (one that lives up to its name), as it could potentially become a great and fun long-term motivation for everyone...
    (to buy the required tables).
    Last edited by SiggR22; 01-03-2018 at 03:06 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiggR22 View Post
    Hate to say it, but this mode is completely pointless. While the idea to establish a pinball league is grand, the execution leaves much to be desired, unfortunately. The best way to grab league points is to beat the red 'player' (the score is actually your own) just by a margin and then let time run out. So that your next score to beat won't go up. Easy 40 points bagged but anything but a challenge. Domination bonus isn't worth it until it's your last game to play for the season.
    You guessed right, that's not a league, or even a matchup at all. A more fitting name would be 'Solitaire' or 'Lowball' badge-to-show-off grind.
    Let's hope that this 'matchup' mode will experience a total conceptual overhaul someday (one that lives up to its name), as it could potentially become a great and fun long-term motivation for everyone...
    (to buy the required tables).
    Exactly. Why would anyone want to destroy the 1,400,000 guy and get 30 million so that next time you have to exceed that score and only be awarded the same 40 points? Even if they were to do as I suggest and raise the points to match your target score..........ie...........40 points for defeating the first tier at 1 mill 4 hundred thous. and double that for 3 mill and so on eventually you will reach a level that you can not, even with extraordinary powers exceed each and every time because obviously they would also need to raise the penalty for losing. I would love to see them maintain the length of the mach up tournament in order to give all us working guys a chance to compete yet max it to five times on each table so the incentive is to actually play each table as good as you can in order to maximize your score, obviously this is assuming they up the point cap from 40 to that or something similar to what I spoke of earlier.
    Accomplishments in real life

    1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
    2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
    3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3

    Default

    It's great for getting housework done. Skillshot, combo & Scoreboost upgrades on. 5 to 30 seconds of gameplay then 2 and a half minutes of dishes, sorting recycling, hoovering etc. I get Xbox time and look like a star to my wife. I even joined this forum whilst grinding.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrenlloyd View Post
    It's great for getting housework done. Skillshot, combo & Scoreboost upgrades on. 5 to 30 seconds of gameplay then 2 and a half minutes of dishes, sorting recycling, hoovering etc. I get Xbox time and look like a star to my wife. I even joined this forum whilst grinding.
    I dont think anyone is dissing it or you or anyone who does it. I do it. It's how the game is designed to be played, but at the end of the day, it doesnt showcase who is the best, and it should be if its truly a competition right? Because, if fine tuned it could be just that. Were not in elementary school anymore, where participation trophies and honorary mentions are something that grown men and some women should find as being noteworthy achievements. Your either a winner and place in the top 20% or you arent and you either move on or you dont and this should be something based on skill and not something based on just doing a couple things and getting the lowest target score and using your bonus multiplyer then doing the dishes for the remaining 3 minutes.
    Last edited by cantankerous--; 01-03-2018 at 01:18 PM.
    Accomplishments in real life

    1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
    2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
    3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    466

    Default

    I personally think this entire match up was designed specifically to sale tables and if so, they should have a different match up with different rules and call it master class, "Match UP". Oh, and by different rules I mean specifically the rules I described.

    OMG, just realized they removed the secret word, since having the exact same secret word was apparently not a secret and super fn annoying to those of us who frequent this forum. THANK YOU WHOEVER YOU WERE.
    Accomplishments in real life

    1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
    2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
    3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Hmm, a post I wrote went missing. Anyway, I totally agree, I feel that on meeting a target the next target should jump by one million regardless. My sense of my ability is falsely inflated, jumping six leagues in seven weeks. However I am a sucker for things telling me I'm great and am now in a loop to not be relegated, forcing me to grind this for several hours.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrenlloyd View Post
    Hmm, a post I wrote went missing. Anyway, I totally agree, I feel that on meeting a target the next target should jump by one million regardless. My sense of my ability is falsely inflated, jumping six leagues in seven weeks. However I am a sucker for things telling me I'm great and am now in a loop to not be relegated, forcing me to grind this for several hours.
    Dont feel like that, exploiting a games shortcomings is not cheating cause eventually everyone will do it. Its a design flaw. Especially now a days (I'm old). When I was a kid playing pac man and knew there was a spot where you could pass through a ghost or hide in a corner and they would not see you and regularly pass you, well, that was my secret exploit that if I wanted to share it with you I would. Now, you just go on youtube and nothing is a secret anymore so developers have to up their game. This mode needs much improvement or else you will be level 7 while I am still level 1 and I have 2 number one scores and more than 5 in the top 3.....................and you are level 7 on match up and I am level 1. It doesnt mean on any given day that I couldnt just also do the bare minimum and then wash the dishes. It might just mean I have to work 12 hours a day 3 days of the week and 8 the other two and drive 45 minutes each way to work and take care of two underaged children by myself and time and interest does not permit me to just do the bare minimum then cook dinner cause to me doing that is just not competitive, no matter the end result.
    Last edited by cantankerous--; 01-03-2018 at 01:42 PM.
    Accomplishments in real life

    1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
    2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
    3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Right now, match up has Marvels women of power, champions. I currently have the highest score on that table and could literally destroy you and most others. Not saying it to be arrogant or be an ass, it's just a matter of fact and said merely to illustrate my point. This match up game mode is not intended to put you up against the best so winning it is kind of like being the king on retard island. Sure, your the smartest retard, but, still, a retard and winning was nothing more than just grinding more than anyone else. Bravo Sir.

    Now, none of that was directed to you Sir, but my perception of this game mode, and just a super humerus analogy of my perception of the match up game mode, and by super humerus I meant, super humerus to me.

    If this mode satisfies you in the least I will not begrudge you in the slightest. You seem happy. Your wife see's you as a champion. So, do your thing, but realize who you are playing against and accept your participation award with grace and humility because you are not playing against the best, and I dont mean me. I mean all the me's who see this match up thing as being so mucked up and geared to the masses to sale tables.
    Accomplishments in real life

    1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
    2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
    3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cantankerous-- View Post
    Right now, match up has Marvels women of power, champions. I currently have the highest score on that table and could literally destroy you and most others. Not saying it to be arrogant or be an ass, it's just a matter of fact and said merely to illustrate my point. This match up game mode is not intended to put you up against the best so winning it is kind of like being the king on retard island. Sure, your the smartest retard, but, still, a retard and winning was nothing more than just grinding more than anyone else. Bravo Sir.

    Now, none of that was directed to you Sir, but my perception of this game mode, and just a super humerus analogy of my perception of the match up game mode, and by super humerus I meant, super humerus to me.

    If this mode satisfies you in the least I will not begrudge you in the slightest. You seem happy. Your wife see's you as a champion. So, do your thing, but realize who you are playing against and accept your participation award with grace and humility because you are not playing against the best, and I dont mean me. I mean all the me's who see this match up thing as being so mucked up and geared to the masses to sale tables.
    You don't really need to labour the point, I get what you mean. This isn't the only mode I play and I have unlocked achievements that only 1 in 10,000 (0.01%) players have got and come in the top ten for a couple of tables without really trying that hard. My point is still I'm a sucker for this mode.

  13. #13

    Default

    I don't quite understand the criticism of this mode. I play for the biggest score each time, and doing well on a red score (with a domination bonus) seems to be the best way to earn more League points. What's the benefit of "doing the dishes" after you pass the target score? Not having to play the game for a couple more minutes? It does cost you League points, after all, if you don't go for a domination bonus. I agree it can be a "grind" to keep up with others on the list, but it's different to the other modes and so adds variety to the game. I like it.

    I guess tournaments are probably better if you just want to "literally destroy" other players with superior individual scores.

    Edit: By the way, in my experience (Switch version), the red scores are certainly not my own. In fact, on one particular table, all three scores started going down after I beat about 10 scores in a row - I had seemingly beaten them all and started competing against the "leftover" scores lower on the list.
    Last edited by gaz5021; 01-03-2018 at 05:02 PM.

  14. #14

    Default

    For the record,does anyone know the highest amount of points you can get in one play?

    Just so I can work out,how my league leader at Level 38,can get 6500 points in 27 hours ..!?!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveValek View Post
    For the record,does anyone know the highest amount of points you can get in one play?

    Just so I can work out,how my league leader at Level 38,can get 6500 points in 27 hours ..!?!
    I think the highest is 70?? 40 for taking the hardest + 15 diversity for playing each table once and 15 for domination? Anyway, assume instead he got the 40 plus 15 for diversity equals 55. Each match is 3 minutes plus a minute of waiting for menus so roughly 15 matches per hour assuming he played non stop he would make 825 points in one hour times 10 hours your looking at 8250 so one could easily achieve 6500 points in 27 hours.
    Accomplishments in real life

    1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
    2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
    3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.

  16. #16

    Default

    I can confirm that the Domination bonus goes up to at least 25.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cantankerous-- View Post
    I think the highest is 70?? 40 for taking the hardest + 15 diversity for playing each table once and 15 for domination? Anyway, assume instead he got the 40 plus 15 for diversity equals 55. Each match is 3 minutes plus a minute of waiting for menus so roughly 15 matches per hour assuming he played non stop he would make 825 points in one hour times 10 hours your looking at 8250 so one could easily achieve 6500 points in 27 hours.
    Thanks..thought it was lower,and doing the maths,it works out.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveValek View Post
    Thanks..thought it was lower,and doing the maths,it works out.
    Truthfully Steve. The guys you see running up scores like this are not trying their hardest each and every game and doing that for tens of hours because to do so would mean to have to outdo yourself each and every time as the challenge scores continue to rise. They are playing all 4 tables to max the diversity bonus and while doing so getting as low a score as needed to exceed the target score so that next week or weeks further ahead when this table goes back into rotation they will have a lower score to have to beat, because if you did not know if you end the match up tournament with a table at say 30 million the next time you play it stays at that same point. No restarts. So the obvious technique to maximize points is to get the diversity gimme and then find a table you can easily beat the lowest highest bracketed target score and beat it by as little as possible and then just let the balls drain. Doing this means the next challenger you face will be either close in points to beat or just slightly higher. Ya, see what a fn grind it is?
    Accomplishments in real life

    1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
    2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
    3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cantankerous-- View Post
    Truthfully Steve. The guys you see running up scores like this are not trying their hardest each and every game and doing that for tens of hours because to do so would mean to have to outdo yourself each and every time as the challenge scores continue to rise. They are playing all 4 tables to max the diversity bonus and while doing so getting as low a score as needed to exceed the target score so that next week or weeks further ahead when this table goes back into rotation they will have a lower score to have to beat, because if you did not know if you end the match up tournament with a table at say 30 million the next time you play it stays at that same point. No restarts. So the obvious technique to maximize points is to get the diversity gimme and then find a table you can easily beat the lowest highest bracketed target score and beat it by as little as possible and then just let the balls drain. Doing this means the next challenger you face will be either close in points to beat or just slightly higher. Ya, see what a fn grind it is?
    This is a bit sad. I don't have the time to keep up with the grind (and I like spending most of my time playing regular games anyway). I really like the challenge of working out the best way to maximise my score over 3 minutes but this explains why my efforts aren't rewarded like they probably should - assuming what you've said is correct. Thanks.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gaz5021 View Post
    This is a bit sad. I don't have the time to keep up with the grind (and I like spending most of my time playing regular games anyway). I really like the challenge of working out the best way to maximise my score over 3 minutes but this explains why my efforts aren't rewarded like they probably should - assuming what you've said is correct. Thanks.
    Cantankerous is correct (Thanks buddy!)

    Like you,I have limited time,so I've spent this week,picking the highest target score and played til I've hit the green score required,then let every ball run out,until the timer ends...
    It's the only way in which you can limit the pain of the grind system,and climb the leaderboard quicker.
    Only downside,is that,at times,you're waiting for your ball to drop,and it gets trapped in bumpers,and suddenly you've racked up a few million more(even domination)over the target score..
    Then,I have to lose 3/4 consecutive tables,in order to LOWER the highest score target again!

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveValek View Post
    Cantankerous is correct (Thanks buddy!)

    Like you,I have limited time,so I've spent this week,picking the highest target score and played til I've hit the green score required,then let every ball run out,until the timer ends...
    It's the only way in which you can limit the pain of the grind system,and climb the leaderboard quicker.
    Only downside,is that,at times,you're waiting for your ball to drop,and it gets trapped in bumpers,and suddenly you've racked up a few million more(even domination)over the target score..
    Then,I have to lose 3/4 consecutive tables,in order to LOWER the highest score target again!
    I still don't understand this strategy. Is it really so unenjoyable to play out the rest of the game? The double score bonus in the final 30 seconds adds a bit more strategy as well, to maximise your output. Or are you just determined to keep your target scores as low as possible? As I said in my earlier post: I play for the highest score possible each time, and after a while, the target scores all start going down. Occasionally a higher score will appear, which seems to be when someone else puts it up. Surely the Domination points gained each time outweighs the "risk" of not making it to the target score?

    Maybe I just answered my own question and explained the strategy to myself. If one finds themselves missing the target score regularly, obviously keeping it low IS worth missing a few Domination points for the sake of the long-term grind.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gaz5021 View Post
    I still don't understand this strategy. Is it really so unenjoyable to play out the rest of the game? The double score bonus in the final 30 seconds adds a bit more strategy as well, to maximise your output. Or are you just determined to keep your target scores as low as possible? As I said in my earlier post: I play for the highest score possible each time, and after a while, the target scores all start going down. Occasionally a higher score will appear, which seems to be when someone else puts it up. Surely the Domination points gained each time outweighs the "risk" of not making it to the target score?

    Maybe I just answered my own question and explained the strategy to myself. If one finds themselves missing the target score regularly, obviously keeping it low IS worth missing a few Domination points for the sake of the long-term grind.
    Exactly. The point of pinball is to get the highest score. Sadly, in order to achieve that objective in this mode it's currently, and I say currently because I think they are retooling it. Hope so anyway, but ya, currently the best way to go up the rankings is to do as I described above. I can tell you Im more into xp farming and dont spend much time in grinding the match up mode. I once got to level 2 and that is as far as I have spent on it, because I just dont have the time or interest to just go for the minimum score needed and just sit there. I once got 3 1/2 billion points just from pushing the triangle with the multiplyer thingy at just the right second and did that in one minute so going back to getting hardly any xp for 3 minutes is hardly an option anymore compared to getting 30 thousand xp in one minute if done perfectly, which I have only done once, but that was only yesterday, and I will figure it out............................................... ........No, I wont be telling any of you how I can get 3 and 1/2 billion in a minute if done perfectly.................I only done it once and tried to vid capture it, but didnt have the u/i configured correctly and it didnt capture because of licensed audio.
    Accomplishments in real life

    1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
    2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
    3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.

  23. #23

    Default

    It's only from today,and from constant play of the same table,that the highest target score has remained on about 3.5 million...
    Can't understand why it would increase one minute,then remain roughly the same target score the next...
    Still,it will give me an easier ride to the next league,but can't say it's fair or right

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveValek View Post
    It's only from today,and from constant play of the same table,that the highest target score has remained on about 3.5 million...
    Can't understand why it would increase one minute,then remain roughly the same target score the next...
    Still,it will give me an easier ride to the next league,but can't say it's fair or right
    Hmmmm, just tried to validate what you were saying and on my end I actually started the American Dad table to find it was at 3.5 million to begin and after completion the next tier was 9.5 million so, ya, if this is just a way of making us all try our hardest and max out the system. You got me..................................just kidding, I dont even play this shit. Not sure why it is stuck on 3 1/2 million for you, but awesome. Yesterday I got 3 1/2 billion just from pushing the multiplyer button at the right time. Shit happens????
    Accomplishments in real life

    1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
    2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
    3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gaz5021 View Post
    I can confirm that the Domination bonus goes up to at least 25.
    I got 80 points ...that's 45 points+25 domination and 15 diversity

    Didn't intend to,but the ball hit something and my target score of 2 million was hit with 45 million!

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    466

    Default

    I don't normally play this mode, but did last week and was advanced to the next level which was level one??? Do you start at Zero?
    Accomplishments in real life

    1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
    2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
    3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •