Critical bug - Paranormal (and possibly other tables)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gaz5021
    • Feb 2013

Critical bug - Paranormal (and possibly other tables)

Hi Zen, I’ve encountered a game-breaking bug while playing on the Paranormal table. This seems to be the same issue I encountered on this and another table, on Zen Pinball 2 on Wii U. Occasionally, something will go wrong and there will be no balls available in play, or to shoot. The only way out is to end/restart the game.

It’s happened to me a few times now on the Switch version. I’ll describe what has happened to the best of my memory: Each time, I was playing on the “Doppleganger” multiball mode. Something seems to go wrong with the table keeping track of the active balls. Sometimes a ball will drain, but a new one will be immediately relaunched (from the plunger) even though I am certain I didn’t have ball saver active. I’m not 100% sure if this has triggered the bug every time, but I’ve seen it happen at least twice in the moments before the table gets “stuck”.

At some point, the ball will either be locked (for a jackpot) or drain, and that’s it - no more balls are released to the table or the plunger. Unfortunately I haven’t been recording my play when it has happened, but I’ve taken some footage after it’s occurred. http://youtu.be/fAcHu5_0JwM here is what it looks like after locking a ball, and http://youtu.be/z_O2H3ndb2w here is after the ball has drained.

Also, sometimes after things seem to go wrong (a relaunch that shouldn’t have happened), a ball will re-enter the play area (after being locked in a sinkhole) and it will be waving around, seemingly in the pattern followed by the magnetic ball beneath the table’s surface. The ball will “stick” to the flippers (while still waving around) and can be “unstuck” by flicking the flipper, or nudging the table. The last time this issue happened to me, it stuck to the flipper and I managed to nudge it off and out of play, which resulted in the second video linked above. Earlier on, I captured a little bit of footage http://youtu.be/hsEs7NGgDaY here that shows the ball wobbling after it came back into play, but then it stopped and went back to normal (hence my quick pause).

It seems like this bug could be caused by the ball that sits below the table’s surface (and applies the magnetic effect during multiball). Perhaps the table doesn’t recognise that there’s a problem because of the additional ball? Is there any way to fix it with a “table reset” option or something happening after a certain amount of time without any activity (I assume there is already a mechanic such as this in place, but there’s something wrong with regards to the additional ball under the surface)? Even a “sacrifice ball” option that resets the table would work.

This issue may not affect 99% of players, because it seems to be rare, but the games that go for hours and hours only have an ever-increasing chance of encountering it, and it’s a killer. I have the game still saved just in case we can get this fixed - I was gunning for the number one spot after about 12 hours of play. Please let me know if this can be looked at, and/or there’s anything else I can do (send an email, etc). I love this game.
    Last edited by gaz5021; 01-13-2018, 02:10 AM.
  • Tech101
    • Jan 2012

I had that same thing happen to me. Think it was Adventure Land where I kept losing a ball in multiplayer yet I kept getting it back. Went on for a few minutes. I've also had it not drop the balls in the Sky Eye Multiball twice in a row. Seems to be when I play handheld I get more problems then when I'm docked.

How do you mostly play?
    Proud member of the Hyna Gang! Keeping pinball alive on the Wii U!

Comment

• gaz5021
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Tech101
      I had that same thing happen to me. Think it was Adventure Land where I kept losing a ball in multiplayer yet I kept getting it back. Went on for a few minutes. I've also had it not drop the balls in the Sky Eye Multiball twice in a row. Seems to be when I play handheld I get more problems then when I'm docked.

How do you mostly play?
      I play 100% docked.

Comment

• jothki
        • Mar 2012

I've had a case happen one time where after locking a ball and selecting a mode, the ball released and the view returned to normal, but the cube kept spinning whenever I used a flipper. I was in a mode with a timer, and that remained paused as well. I'm unfortunately not sure whether the ball was actually being locked, or if I already had two locked and it was just being held in place by the pin.

Comment

• gaz5021
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by jothki
          I've had a case happen one time where after locking a ball and selecting a mode, the ball released and the view returned to normal, but the cube kept spinning whenever I used a flipper. I was in a mode with a timer, and that remained paused as well. I'm unfortunately not sure whether the ball was actually being locked, or if I already had two locked and it was just being held in place by the pin.
          Man that's pretty weird. Did your game continue though, or did you eventually have no balls left to play?

My main concern is when that happens and I have no choice but to end the game. It really sucks. My game is still saved on about 6 billion with the super jackpots up around 60 mil. On ball 1 with a couple of extras up my sleeve.

Comment

• hajdu
            Community Representative
            • Nov 2017

Hey Guys,
            can I ask how many switch users are experiencing this issue?
            Thank you in advance!

Comment

• gaz5021
              • Feb 2013

Update: I experienced a similar bug on the Earth Defense table. This was after finishing an Airstrike Multiball and then losing my ball.

Video post-bug: https://youtu.be/sbelANaaaWM

Note: I was pressing the flippers and launch buttons during this video.

Once I've played all of my current tables (just a few to go) I'll go back to Paranormal, forfeit my 6 billion game and start again. I'll capture video for the whole game so I can show it occurring. As I said earlier, the longer the game goes, the more likely it will occur at some point during the game. I've only been able to finish one game out of the last four on Paranormal due to this bug.

Comment

• hajdu
                Community Representative
                • Nov 2017

Originally posted by gaz5021
                Update: I experienced a similar bug on the Earth Defense table. This was after finishing an Airstrike Multiball and then losing my ball.

Video post-bug: https://youtu.be/sbelANaaaWM

Note: I was pressing the flippers and launch buttons during this video.

Once I've played all of my current tables (just a few to go) I'll go back to Paranormal, forfeit my 6 billion game and start again. I'll capture video for the whole game so I can show it occurring. As I said earlier, the longer the game goes, the more likely it will occur at some point during the game. I've only been able to finish one game out of the last four on Paranormal due to this bug.
                Hey,
                sadly on the video we cannot see the issue very well

Comment

• gaz5021
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by hajdu
                  Hey,
                  sadly on the video we cannot see the issue very well
                  Hi hajdu, this video is just showing that the game was stuck. I had just lost a ball, but I didn't get a new one to launch.

Comment

Working...