Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • t33
    • Nov 2017

Doom Rules Questions- Combos and mini modes

I've been playing this table quite a bit trying to get better but I still can't figure out some things.

Combos

The higher the combo the more points you get each shot. But what does trigger the counter to reset? It's not a simple timeout, is it? It seems a bit random to me. One time I can miss and shoot the ball into the pit spindisk twice and yet the next shot into a lane/ramp/skull still counts. The next time after just catching the ball by letting it bounce on a flipper just once and hitting a lane/ramp/skull right away is too slow.
    Also after locking a ball for multiball or starting a main mode the combo isn't continued. But after playing on the mini playfield you can continue the combo.

Is there a light somewhere that inidcates if the combo is still going? And what is the max? I remember in one game I reached >5.000 points per shot.

Right ramp mini modes
    What is the difference between the modes? Apart from the "video" mode you have to hit the lit "shoot" shots and the moving demon targets in the middle. And how does scoring work? One time I got awarded 60.000 points!! No idea how I did that though.

Trapped Ball 2-Ball
    Sometimes a shot at the trapped ball starts a two-ball multiball. Is this a random award?

I really love how this table plays and sound, graphics and light work perfect together. If it wasn't for the annoying mini playfield this would be my #1 favourite!
    Last edited by t33; 02-04-2018, 08:31 PM.
  • ndever
    Video Producer
    • Oct 2014

Hi there,

thanks for your kind words, I'm here to help!

Combos

While it might seem random in some situations the combo on DOOM Pinball is actually reset by a simple timeout. Not every lane counts as a combo shot though, for example the skull won't add to your combo streak. Starting a mode or multiball will break your combo streak because they take time to happen. If you are really into combos, you can increase the default combo timer by using the combo perk.

Right ramp mini modes (aka Power Up)

Activating this mode will give you a power up to make it easier/more fun fighting demons. They all have a different effect on gameplay: Quad Damage will give you 4x damage AND 4x score, Invisibility hides you from the demons, Mega Health will boost your health and armor to the maximum, Invulnerability will make you.. well invulnerable, Berserk lets you destroy drop targets by one hit and the Demon Rune turns you into a Revenant for a short time. Feel free to experiment, a well timed Quad Damage can make your ok-ish run to your highest score

Trapped Ball 2-Ball

Shooting the captive ball enough times will add a new weapon to your arsenal. There are some special ones, like the super shotgun which starts a 2-ball multiball or the gauss cannon which will let you shoot the ball manually after a ball save.

Happy demon hunting!

Comment

• cantankerous--
      Pinball Wizard
      • Nov 2016

Ive posted over 200 times on this NEW made up username which is coincidentally my actual ps4 gamertag. Iv'e actually been posting to this forum forever. In each incarnation of this game and each time just forget my old username or password and have to make up another, but I have been here for over a thousand posts helping to sort out the bugs and push for things we users want and never once had an actual table designer ever respond to me..............................................so jealous.
      Accomplishments in real life

1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
      2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
      3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.
      sigpic

Comment

• ndever
        Video Producer
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by cantankerous--
        Ive posted over 200 times on this NEW made up username which is coincidentally my actual ps4 gamertag. Iv'e actually been posting to this forum forever. In each incarnation of this game and each time just forget my old username or password and have to make up another, but I have been here for over a thousand posts helping to sort out the bugs and push for things we users want and never once had an actual table designer ever respond to me..............................................so jealous.
        Hi,

we usually try to answer as much questions and feedback as we can, sorry if we missed some. Also if you got an answer from somebody else from Zen Studios it means he or she most probably consulted the actual table designer before writing back. So don't let this stop you from giving us feedback from time to time!

And hey, I just replied to one of your posts

Comment

• t33
          • Nov 2017

Originally posted by ndever
          Hi there,

thanks for your kind words, I'm here to help!

Combos

While it might seem random in some situations the combo on DOOM Pinball is actually reset by a simple timeout. Not every lane counts as a combo shot though, for example the skull won't add to your combo streak. Starting a mode or multiball will break your combo streak because they take time to happen. If you are really into combos, you can increase the default combo timer by using the combo perk.

Right ramp mini modes (aka Power Up)

Activating this mode will give you a power up to make it easier/more fun fighting demons. They all have a different effect on gameplay: Quad Damage will give you 4x damage AND 4x score, Invisibility hides you from the demons, Mega Health will boost your health and armor to the maximum, Invulnerability will make you.. well invulnerable, Berserk lets you destroy drop targets by one hit and the Demon Rune turns you into a Revenant for a short time. Feel free to experiment, a well timed Quad Damage can make your ok-ish run to your highest score

Trapped Ball 2-Ball

Shooting the captive ball enough times will add a new weapon to your arsenal. There are some special ones, like the super shotgun which starts a 2-ball multiball or the gauss cannon which will let you shoot the ball manually after a ball save.

Happy demon hunting!
          Thanks for the info! I was always wondering about the red powerup sign... Now it makes sense! lol

For future tables it would be nice to have the table explain some things just a little bit better (Zeus does a pretty good job here). For example, I'm fairly convinced skull hits do count towards the combo, unless you start a mode (it increases the score anyway). And like I said I remember after playing on the mini playfield I'm able to continue the combo (so in this case the timer seems to stop during that period). A light that indicates when the combo is over could clear that up.

Comment

• cantankerous--
            Pinball Wizard
            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by t33

For future tables it would be nice to have the table explain some things just a little bit better (Zeus does a pretty good job here). For example, I'm fairly convinced skull hits do count towards the combo, unless you start a mode (it increases the score anyway). And like I said I remember after playing on the mini playfield I'm able to continue the combo (so in this case the timer seems to stop during that period). A light that indicates when the combo is over could clear that up.
            I tend to prefer a vague overview of the table and like finding out the deeper things on my own through practice, practice, practice. I mean, if the table guide included detailed videos and 1,2,3's on how to achieve and maximize multiplyers and what not, we would all have scores in the top 5 of the leaderboards and what fun would that be for those of us who put hours, upon hours into finding out those things on our own, and, let's face it they're are very few secrets or techniques or exploits that one cannot find on youtube already. I don't mind posting videos of glitches, but rarely post technique videos, but this may illustrate my point.

This is what is said in the table guide of Hawkeye:

hawkeye.jpg

Concise and to the point. The way I like it.

This is what it looks like after hours of practice. 4 billion points in 2 1/2 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQwK3Wx5pK0

1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
            3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.
            sigpic

Comment

• t33
              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by cantankerous--
              I tend to prefer a vague overview of the table and like finding out the deeper things on my own through practice, practice, practice. I mean, if the table guide included detailed videos and 1,2,3's on how to achieve and maximize multiplyers and what not, we would all have scores in the top 5 of the leaderboards and what fun would that be for those of us who put hours, upon hours into finding out those things on our own, and, let's face it they're are very few secrets or techniques or exploits that one cannot find on youtube already. I don't mind posting videos of glitches, but rarely post technique videos, but this may illustrate my point.

This is what is said in the table guide of Hawkeye:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1081[/ATTACH]

Concise and to the point. The way I like it.

This is what it looks like after hours of practice. 4 billion points in 2 1/2 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQwK3Wx5pK0
              Not sure what your point is. There are things that don't become clear, even after playing a table for hours. Sometimes I get a multiball after shooting the trapped ball, sometimes not. No idea why. I'd never have guessed it is tied to the random weapon I receive.

Also I have still no idea what determindes if a shot to the left sinkhole will light it to lock a ball. I'm guessing it might have do with the number of times you shoot it, but who knows. Sometimes after I shoot it it lights up. Sometimes it stays dark.

I'm not saying spell everything out, but give me some kind of feedback on the table so I can understand why things are happening. Especially when mechanics are not consistent this makes sense.

Comment

• t33
                • Nov 2017

Double post
                Last edited by t33; 02-15-2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• cantankerous--
                  Pinball Wizard
                  • Nov 2016

Originally posted by t33
                  Double post
                  Had it happen earlier. Edit, delete.

sigpic

Comment

• cantankerous--
                    Pinball Wizard
                    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by t33
                    Not sure what your point is. There are things that don't become clear, even after playing a table for hours. Sometimes I get a multiball after shooting the trapped ball, sometimes not. No idea why. I'd never have guessed it is tied to the random weapon I receive.

Also I have still no idea what determindes if a shot to the left sinkhole will light it to lock a ball. I'm guessing it might have do with the number of times you shoot it, but who knows. Sometimes after I shoot it it lights up. Sometimes it stays dark.

I'm not saying spell everything out, but give me some kind of feedback on the table so I can understand why things are happening. Especially when mechanics are not consistent this makes sense.
                    I read your post, and having little experience on the doom table having only played it for a couple of hours upon initial release thought you were asking to have things spelled out for you. I apologize t33.

sigpic

Comment

Working...