Thread: No sense of achievement

Default No sense of achievement

I for one find that almost all Pinball FX tables have way too complex and convoluted missions/modes. In many tables I have, I have never been able to accomplish even 1/3rd of the necessary missions. And the utterly simplistic rebuttle of "get better then" just doesn't hold ground in this matter. In every other videogame I always have a sense of accomplishment and progress. Not so in Pinball FX. Sure, my points tally rises with practise, but the true feeling of - Yeahh, it's done!- I will never reach. And although I have much fun when playing, I feel the lack of progress always poking in my back. Why do the missions have to be so complex? Why do even the first -and I presume therefor the easiest- have to take so long to reach? Let the hating begin..... And as always, I expect to have the fiercest coming from the very small group of power players. You know? Those who are all over all forums demanding harder games when they are in fact a very small group of buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    I for one find that almost all Pinball FX tables have way too complex and convoluted missions/modes. In many tables I have, I have never been able to accomplish even 1/3rd of the necessary missions. And the utterly simplistic rebuttle of "get better then" just doesn't hold ground in this matter. In every other videogame I always have a sense of accomplishment and progress. Not so in Pinball FX. Sure, my points tally rises with practise, but the true feeling of - Yeahh, it's done!- I will never reach. And although I have much fun when playing, I feel the lack of progress always poking in my back. Why do the missions have to be so complex? Why do even the first -and I presume therefor the easiest- have to take so long to reach? Let the hating begin..... And as always, I expect to have the fiercest coming from the very small group of power players. You know? Those who are all over all forums demanding harder games when they are in fact a very small group of buyers.
    Try Back to the Future. Just about the easiest table to wizard mode IMO.
    Accomplishments in real life

1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
    2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
    3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.

I agree that many tables have a very high level of difficulty to get to the wizard mode. A few of the more recent tables (Rogue One, ET, Back to the Future, Jurassic World to name a few) have a greater number of modes that are shorter & easier to complete (i.e. 12 modes where several of them just take a couple of shots to finish versus 6 modes that have multiple phases and numerous tough shots).

I have played a lot over the last 3-4 years and own all the tables on iOS, and the only "mode-based" tables where I have reached the wizard mode are Sorcerer's Lair, Women of Power A-Force, Back to the Future (on something like my second time playing it), and ET. I have gotten pretty close a few times in Thor and Iron Man (one mode left or just needed to make a shot to start wizard mode but drained).

But my favorite tables are not the ones that are easier. For instance I love Dr. Strange, but I'm happy if I get one or two modes completed. Same for the Aliens tables. I don't necessarily expect to ever get the wizard modes started in most of these games.

My view is that pinball is a little different than other games; if you follow real life pinball only the best of the best players ever complete more than a few modes; the fun is in the adrenaline rush, risk/reward, and in the competition element. Zen has done a great job with the visuals and variety of play with all the innovative table designs, and has added great competition elements in FX3.

Anyway, I guess my point is that I like that Zen has been making some of the newer tables a bit easier to "finish", but I'm very glad to have some of the harder old ones with shorter ball times as well, it's a different experience.

Oh, ya, spiderman can be wizard moded in like 10 minutes or so. Try that one.

1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
    3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.

I've played Biolab a lot, and it seems to be targeted at more novice pinball players. The missions don't take as much thought or skill as most tables. They still feel like you need to put effort into them (except for raising a monster's Brain Level, which is ridiculously easy), but it is the one table I've actually had luck clearing missions on, and have managed to complete the Brain, Wisdom, Muscle and Reflex missions at least once (as far as I remember for the Reflex mission, ONLY once so far). Thor is another one I've had decent luck on.

...But, yeah, a lot of the missions on most tables feel a bit too hard. Ironically, I feel the fact actually contradicts your title: it just makes the feeling of achieving them even greater for me. ...When I ever do.

Too bad the Ms. Splosion Man table didnt make it to PBFX3. It had one of the easiest to get to Wizard Modes & it was one of the easiest tables to “flow” on.

I agree with above comments that Thor & Iron Man are very doable in terms of getting to Wizard Mode. That being said, both wizard modes are no piece of cake. Defeating Ultimo(Iron Man) was one of my prouder gaming moments. Defeating Dracula (Blade) is another...

I wish Pinball FX3 had 3-5 achievements per table, but i digress...

Well thank you very much I am very pleased and surprised to have received these positive replies. Thx for the tips on easier tables. Still waiting for someone from Zen to share their view on mission/mode creation. To make sure: it's not the tables themselves I find complex, only the missions.

Well thank you very much I am very pleased and surprised to have received these positive replies. Thx for the tips on easier tables. Still waiting for someone from Zen to share their view on mission/mode creation. To make sure: it's not the tables themselves I find complex, only the missions.
    Some of us have played hours upon hours and, for the most part forsaken other games to get better, cause we want to have the highest score....................ok, now I'm just speaking for myself..............I want the highest scores, and as you mentioned, ya, you have to practice to achieve that, but there are simple things to learn that don't take hours that are the things you first learn on every table.

1. How to activate kick backs
    2. How to get extra balls
    3. How to increase multiplyers........................at least for me, cause I want the highest score

Learn:

1. What chutes can I safely trap the ball..................ie catch it with the flipper. This one takes practice because different scenarios will send the ball down a chute faster or slower, but learning how to trap the ball is instrumental.
    2. Which ramps will allow the ball to just bounce to the other flipper. This is also instrumental. Ball control is the absolute key to winning.

Before I tell you what I really think let me please regale a story. I used to go to my friends house years ago. We used to hook up our xbox's down in his gameroom/basement........4 of them and do 16 player lan party on halo multiplayer all the while drinking rollingrock and yager..................ya, that was a long time ago. I regularly used to beat their asses............even drunk which most of us were. So later halo puts out a new version and this time it's online.............can't remember the version, but it was the first online halo and when I went to buy it, and stood outside in the cold in a long line, during a midnight release in front of gamestop after actually taking the night off from work just for this occasion I got home and made up a new name............you know, cause I'm a badass and been kicking my friends ass'es forever...........I decided, THRILLKILL. Thrillkill, I actually kill for thrill.................a badass name right? So, hear me out, I know many of you are like, So much fn reading, but the ending is coming soon. I get on thinking I'm a badass cause my competition up until this point was drunk losers like me, and thinking I was somehow special and would rule on xbox multiplayer and in reality. I sucked. I was nothing compared to those who could spend hours upon hours playing, without the need to drink. I actually had a kid who still had a childs voice calling out to me as I played, "EasyKill, where are you?" Throughout the match as he stalked me and I ran and he easily killed me, over and over and over again.

My point................if there is one.

It doesn't really matter what you are playing. You could just be playing space invaders from like a million years ago and be good and know how to clear a board and I can guarantee you there are a thousand out there that know every single level and know how to defeat them all in the fastest time and hit every single ufo while assembling a rubix cube in record time.

If you really want to be recognized as being good then you have to put in the work. You have to practice. No shortcuts, but if you only truly want to complete the game then just source YouTube and see how it's done. Cause if there is anything that is a constant. Peeps who think they are badassed put out videos proving they are badass.

If you truly just like pinball................just keep playing, and have fun. Play over and over and over again and I promise you, you will get better.

#1 Are you playing on a gamepad or keyboard? I find nudging on the keyboard way too difficult to do. That's why I use a gamepad. I've never cared for nudging techniques but when a ball goes down an outlane, getting it back is like an extra ball. I was surprised how much of a difference it makes. I wish someone had told me this when I started with FX2.

#2 On many tables I've never completed more than 3 modes max. But try Son of Zeus. It's the only table I can consistently get to wizard mode (and by now I sometimes even win it ). The rules are pretty much straight forward, sometimes you can get an extra ball as random reward, and you can often save the ball by nudging. The best thing: You don't have to complete a mode to get to the wizard mode, you only need to start them - although I recently figured out why every completed mode helps you the first time around, too. (The second time you have to complete the modes though). Edit: Did I mention that modes continue after you lose a ball?

Thinking about it, the reason I'm playing this table so much (besides that it's amazingly well done) is because of that "sense of achievement". At first I was happy to be able to collect 2 balls for the multiball, let alone get to wizard mode. My last game I won the wizard mode twice - before my gamepad ran out of power and the ball drained... lol

#3 I agree that some tables can be frustrating. On the 3rd Alien table for example I'm lucky if I get a main mode started... And then it's hard because you don't have much time to make the needed shots.

The Jurassic Park table is awesome BUT it's unforgiving. About every shot has to be precise. I spend most time activating modes - only to lose them after a couple shots because I wasn't fast enough. The magna save is no real help either. It gets frustrating quickly. I'd appreciate an easier mode with reduced scoring but longer times on the timers (devs, are you reading this? lol).

Edit: Acutally I'd like that for most of the other tables, too...
    Last edited by t33; 02-23-2018 at 10:50 PM.

Default Agreed on the Achievements

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    Too bad the Ms. Splosion Man table didnt make it to PBFX3. It had one of the easiest to get to Wizard Modes & it was one of the easiest tables to “flow” on.

I agree with above comments that Thor & Iron Man are very doable in terms of getting to Wizard Mode. That being said, both wizard modes are no piece of cake. Defeating Ultimo(Iron Man) was one of my prouder gaming moments. Defeating Dracula (Blade) is another...

I wish Pinball FX3 had 3-5 achievements per table, but i digress...
    I completely agree with you on more achievements. I see all of these other gaming achievements that my son plays in popular video games and I look at one stinking achievement for the FX3 tables..........I mean c'mon ZEN, everyone would like more achievements to get.

At the very least implement an easy, medium and hard achievement for each table.

Thanks for your consideration.

flapsmojo57

Quote Originally Posted by rmaultra View Post
    I completely agree with you on more achievements. I see all of these other gaming achievements that my son plays in popular video games and I look at one stinking achievement for the FX3 tables..........I mean c'mon ZEN, everyone would like more achievements to get.

At the very least implement an easy, medium and hard achievement for each table.

flapsmojo57
    They used to have 3 per table on pinball fx2. I wont try and explain why I think they went to one.

Quote Originally Posted by rmaultra View Post

flapsmojo57
    Quote Originally Posted by cantankerous-- View Post
    They used to have 3 per table on pinball fx2. I wont try and explain why I think they went to one.
    This is not what OP was talking about. "SENSE of achievement" - not "achievements". Totally different things!

Quote Originally Posted by t33 View Post
    This is not what OP was talking about. "SENSE of achievement" - not "achievements". Totally different things!
    You havnt been around very long. Sometimes we just start talking.

Default hehehehe

You havnt been around very long. Sometimes we just start talking.
    So what are you? Like......., women?

Default additional info - Alens is top

OK, a bit of investigation has been done: I've been playing Aliens this week and find this table to be very more doable in the missions department. (Very more doable?????? -- nobody ever said that ). It also is a table that could very well exist in real life. I like it a lot. Aliens vs. Predator is a bit more complex and harder, but still less so than many of the earlier tables. Hoping to find more experiences like this....

Yes.

Thank you for standing up for me. Nobody has ever done that before. It warms my heart.

Oh, ya, spiderman can be wizard moded in like 10 minutes or so. Try that one.
    Tried it. Not so keen on the table design and colors chosen for surface plate.

Default Bring back the 'Operators Menu'

#3 I agree that some tables can be frustrating. On the 3rd Alien table for example I'm lucky if I get a main mode started... And then it's hard because you don't have much time to make the needed shots.

The Jurassic Park table is awesome BUT it's unforgiving. About every shot has to be precise. I spend most time activating modes - only to lose them after a couple shots because I wasn't fast enough. The magna save is no real help either. It gets frustrating quickly. I'd appreciate an easier mode with reduced scoring but longer times on the timers (devs, are you reading this? lol).

Edit: Acutally I'd like that for most of the other tables, too...
    Bring back the 'Operators Menu' !!