Thread: New Table Design Thought

Default New Table Design Thought

Love Zen Pinball. How about designing a pinball table making use of the current HD (widescreen) technology available? My thought would be a table that made use of all the space on today's widescreen TVs and monitors. The table could make use of at least four to six (or more!!) flippers (more space to play the ball(s). An amusement park (a coaster or two) or a haunted house theme might work well with this type of design. Multiball would be very interesting and challenging with this type of table design!! I like the fact that Zen Pinball tables are not designed from other "real" tables. My favorite real pinball tables are Medevil Madness and Funhouse from Williams and Roller Coaster from Stern. An amusement coaster running around the widescreen visting a number of favorite rides (and of course a haunted house) would be lots of fun!!!

KickBeaten Down

This is an interesting idea, but keep in mind that not everyone with a Playstation 3 has a widescreen TV.

We've started out doing tables only in the traditional format, but as time goes by you may see more tables that don't follow this format as strictly.

I definitely would be onboard for a haunted house and amusement park themed table!

I've got two 'wants' right now from Zen Pinball at the moment.

1) Give us Bucaneer and one of the other XBox tables.

2) Give us a three-pack of 'older school' tables, thinking mid-1980s, something like Eight-Ball, Cyclone, or Bat Cats. Simpler play, no need to worry about all the missions, etc.

In my opinion tables designed by Zen are great and much more interesting than real life pinballs. Missions, quests, moving elements, plenty to do in each of them, no place for boredom. I'm buying everything soon as it comes to PSN and I've never regret it. Keep up the good work ZEN.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuch80 View Post
    In my opinion tables designed by Zen are great and much more interesting than real life pinballs. Missions, quests, moving elements, plenty to do in each of them, no place for boredom. I'm buying everything soon as it comes to PSN and I've never regret it. Keep up the good work ZEN.
    I'll second that. You guys at Zen sure know what fun is. No need to interfere with your creative minds. Keep 'em coming

I agree that the Buccaneer or some pirate themed table would be cool.

I agree that a buccaneer table would be cool. But I am still hoping for some kind of magician or magic table. They could do some really interesting things with that theme. Having a mage battle or maybe a mage attacking or defending a keep or castle. Especially doing different spells such as summoning creatures, casting fireballs, and different kind of area effect spells like a meteor shower spell or some kind of whirlwind.

I really wonder how many folks play PS3 games on an OLD, square glass tube TV? Few; if any, these days. It has been an HD world for a while now. The Wii is for those who want to stay in the square world. I love Zen Pinball (and Mini Golf), but it is time to "move" (PS3 Move) to a "today world". Yes, the PS3 Move would do little to improve pinball or mini golf, but the move to widescreen games might just open up a new place for some great games for the future.

I think this is an interesting idea, but I would be very careful of going against a pinball format that has taken shape over decades of research and development.

In my opinion, the portrait format is perfect for pinball and a move away from that to landscape would be a mistake.

Think of it like this - How many vertical shooters have been converted to a horizontal format only to have the whole dynamic of the game ruined.

Or to put it another way - Horizontally scrolling shooters work extremely well in a widescreen format due to the nature of the screen layout. Can you imagine playing Defender in portrait mode?

Personally, I would much rather see an option for playing ZP/PFX in portrait mode in order to maximize the screen layout when it is rotated through 90 degrees. Many monitors these days allow for this.

Just my thoughts.

I also have few ''Wants''

1. Give us the Buccaneer table from the original Pinball FX!

2. a Western themed table.
    For example: Cactus canyon

3. The tables should be a little bit more realistic.
    e.g. Mars.
    In the 'gravity multiball' the balls are flying in the air. That's not possible!
    Same thing in the portal of lights; You can't really teleport your ball!

4. Minigames/Videomodes are missing. For example In the pinball called ''Junk Yard'' has a minigame; you have to shoot the dog with a toaster gun with limited time.!?
    In STTNG, there is a Poker minigame! In the CftBL's videomode you have to knock out a guy! etc. etc.
    Can you add some minigames/Videomodes in your new tables?
    EE: Done

5. Can you tell when you will release the Paranormal table?
    E: Released
    I'm waiting for answers...
    Last edited by Oskari14; 10-23-2010 at 05:58 AM.
    PINBALL4EVER!!!!

I agree with everyone above. I'd LOVE the Buccaneer table, it looks brilliant!!

First I want to say that i love your game and although Im not very fond or particularly good at pinball I simply adore all ZenPinball tables.

I would like to throw out one suggestion regarding the dot matrix display. I think it will be a neat little feature if you add the option to display it on a PSP connected to the PS3. That way the playfield will be on the TV screen and the dot matrix will be on the smaller PSP screen.

Thank you for the great game and I'm looking forward to some new tables. I hope at some point you realese the arabian themed one from PinballFX 2 on the PSN because it looks briliant.
    Last edited by darkDNA; 09-16-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jphinesdad View Post
    I definitely would be onboard for a haunted house and amusement park themed table!
    Something like a Cyclone table would be an excellent idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by TomOrton View Post
    I really wonder how many folks play PS3 games on an OLD, square glass tube TV? Few; if any, these days. It has been an HD world for a while now. The Wii is for those who want to stay in the square world. I love Zen Pinball (and Mini Golf), but it is time to "move" (PS3 Move) to a "today world". Yes, the PS3 Move would do little to improve pinball or mini golf, but the move to widescreen games might just open up a new place for some great games for the future.
    Actually, although I do have a widescreen tv I got too of the silvers (tesla and mars) on 2 different tube tvs because I was not at home when I got them. Making a table that relies on a widescreen tv seems a bit too soon to me.