Thread: Pinball FX 2 information

Wow free upgrade for all existing users .... You guys really are the Santa Claus of the gaming industry

But don't forget us Zen Pinball users either, okej?

Very exciting news. I'm really excited to see the old tables revamped. I have downloaded every one as soon as they came out and am looking forward to the new achievements to breathe new life into them. From the teaser, the new tables also look interesting. From what I can see, there's a

-Underwater theme
    -Roman or Gladiator theme
    -Gremlin type thing theme
    -???

Zen Pinball players have been getting the goods lately so it's great to see them throwing the 360 owners a bone as well as bringing PFX up to the Zen Pinball quality. I just hope you can turn off the streak effect.

KickBeaten Down

Yes, you will be able to turn off the extra special effects (ball trails, score popups).

The 4th table (???) is actually the only one we've announced: Pasha. It's the Arabian/Persian-themed table that is shown in the screens and videos on various gaming sites.

Pinball FX 2 is a couple steps above Zen Pinball in terms of features and refinement, just as Zen Pinball surpassed the first Pinball FX.

We will definitely continue to support Zen Pinball with lots of table releases - we are equally committed to both franchises.

I somehow missed the info on Pasha. Just checked out some gameplay videos..It looks absolutely amazing. Now the wait for Oct 13 will be even harder.

Have to dust off my custom made pinball controller and load up my microsoft points.....

It says "free update for current Pinball FX users"...what does that entail?

We get Pinball FX 2 for free? How does this work?

Thanks!

It's a free download for everyone that will allow you to play trial versions of all of the tables. You still have to pay to download each of the tables in full, unless you have already downloaded them through PFX1, then you get the upgraded tables for free. At least that is how I interpret it.

KickBeaten Down

If you are a current Pinball FX owner, you get to play any Pinball FX content you have purchased within the Pinball FX 2 system - new Achievements, scoreboards, and various other features - for free.

You'll still need to buy any new content you want to play, including the Pinball FX 2 core content pack of 4 tables.

Default It's wonderful

Hello to all users, hello Zen Studios it's Vincent K., how are you everyone ? I can't wait, it will be awesome. And I am sure that hot-seat multiplayer will be available for all tables. What I would like to know however, is wether it will be possible to configure the joypad the way you want, not only with triggers...
    Last edited by Vincent; 09-04-2010 at 09:19 PM.

Man this is AWESOME news!! Thank you SO much Zen Studios!!

Huh...never noticed that the nudging was different than the Williams collection. Always seemed to work fine for me in PFX.

Another feature I always wanted and hope was buit into the new game is the ability to rotate the playfield to portrait orientation, eliminating the game room border. My xbox is actually hooked up to my large computer monitor and I have the ability to rotate it from landscape to portrait. I use this for old scool vertically scrolling shmups, where this rotation feature is pretty standard. It gives a much larger image and a closer view of the playfield.

Anyway, if it was not included, please consider for possible future updates.
    Last edited by Phiveball; 09-05-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phiveball View Post
    Huh...never noticed that the nudging was different than the Williams collection. Always seemed to work fine for me in PFX.

Another feature I always wanted and hope was buit into the new game is the ability to rotate the playfield to portrait orientation, eliminating the game room border. My xbox is actually hooked up to my large computer monitor and I have the ability to rotate it from landscape to portrait. I use this for old scool vertically scrolling shmups, where this rotation feature is pretty standard. It gives a much larger image and a closer view of the playfield.

Anyway, if it was not included, please consider for possible future updates.
    Phiveball, completely understand where you are coming from with this. It would be a nice feature and would allow for much better use of the screen architecture.

As for using portrait mode for retro vertical shooters, well, I think we are both singing from the same hymn sheet there!

Galaxian anyone?

I find that I have outgrown the first person shooters and long epic rpg's. My interests nowadays tend towards things you would find in an old fashioned arcade, like shmups, beat 'em ups, pinball, and fighting games.

If you're into shmups check out Mushihimesama Futari and Espgaluda 2 for the 360. They were only released in Japan, but were done region-free, so you can play them on any region XBox. They are the most recent evolution of the scrolling shooter genre, and are simply amazing/ brutally hard. You'll pay about $80 to import them.

I purchased a Sega Saturn several months ago and have been going shmups nuts. Some off the best were on that system. Also, to stay somewhat on track with this thread, I picked up a pinball game called Last Gladiators for the Saturn. It was pretty good for its time.

Thanks for the heads up on Mushihimesama Futari and Espgaluda 2, I will take a look at them.

Although when it comes to vertical shooters I generally stick to the old school stuff now and then. When I say old, I mean the originals like Galaxian, Galaga, Space Invaders, Centipede, Xevious etc. The ones that laid the foundations for others to follow.

With all the mayhem on screen, I find there is a lack of finese with newer shooters. Call it nostalgia if you like!

Oh apologies for going off topic!

This might be a very stupid question but for all of us who haven't got all the Pinball FX achievements yet......

Will Pinball FX still be playable on our consoles, if Pinball FX 2 has ported the tables across?

KickBeaten Down

Quote Originally Posted by Nod Nolan View Post
    This might be a very stupid question but for all of us who haven't got all the Pinball FX achievements yet......

Will Pinball FX still be playable on our consoles, if Pinball FX 2 has ported the tables across?
    Yes, it will still be playable. However, you might not be able to download and buy it if you haven't already.

I'm a huge supporter of ZEN Pinball and Pinball FX, been a pinball fan for years. Played Pinball Dreams, Pinball Illusions etc. but these versions are the best I've had the pleasure of playing.

So really looking forward to this update tomorrow, but i notice on the XBOX forums that a few users are already playing, lucky them!

but i notice on the XBOX forums that a few users are already playing
    Any idea how?

KickBeaten Down

Added the first round of review scores to the original post.

well deserved high scoreing reviews and the odd low one can only mean the revierer simply doesnt understand pinball, the core platform that zen have built is spot on and the tables just keep getting better , could i suggest that on one occasion the ball bounced over the flippers, no problem that happens odd times on real tables but it would have been nice to have the sound effect of the ball cracking against the glass top.. just a thought

ThatGamerPodcast Review (1.5/5)

That can't be right... Maybe it's not the reviewers taste but you can't score a wellmade game that low. The productionvalue is great, the graphics are great, the gameplay is great. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukky NL View Post

That can't be right... Maybe it's not the reviewers taste but you can't score a wellmade game that low. The productionvalue is great, the graphics are great, the gameplay is great. Strange.
    as i commented over on the thread linked to that review.

It more of a review of the reviewers perception of the pricing policy and not really a review of the game....

I read the review and I can understand where this "Joel" is coming from when he's talking about price. Though the rest of his review he rambles on like he doesn't know what he's talking about. The thought that came to mind in his conclusion was "Joel" thinks nobody must like pinball or find any sort of replay value out of it. That can't be true because I've been playing Excalibur all day!

I haven't even wasted my time reading what must obviously be complete drivel.

Quote Originally Posted by kimkom View Post
    I haven't even wasted my time reading what must obviously be complete drivel.
    It was pretty much pure drivel. He complained that the boards were one or two time plays, and that the price was what drove down the score because he though that he was going to be getting something free and was lied to. I get the impression that he is not a fan of pinball.

He seemed to enjoy the attention under his review, which further gives me the impression that he's just trying to incite the crowd to look in and see what he's writing about. Sort of a, "I'll just say whatever I like so people will come yell at me and I can be a victim!" sort of reviewer.

The fact that the review was included at all amazes me, but I suppose you have to deal with the wormy apple alongside the rest and it really stands out in the sea of "Buy It Now" and generally favorable scores.

Interview with Zen, talking about what's coming up.

http://www.square-go.com/feature/zen...interview-1434

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Interview with Zen, talking about what's coming up.

http://www.square-go.com/feature/zen...interview-1434
    Good find, Womble.

Interesting read, I like the comment about using tables from the mid 90's as benchmarks. We'd all love to see Zen convert those tables some day.

Thanks for the insight, Zen. Good to see you guys hard at work in the studio!
    Last edited by kimkom; 12-01-2010 at 10:07 AM.

yes well done on finding that interview and yes a very Interesting read, i would love to see some stern or other major pinball makers tables come out

It's sad to hear that they aren't working on Zen pinball 2 yet

Default heding perfected

Well, it's not so sad if you have FX2

(sorry about the title in my post... its was that thingy you had to enter...)
    Last edited by Lukky NL; 12-06-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Default ...

An updated review from ThatGamerPodcast:

http://www.thatgamerpodcast.com/2010...one-rethought/

Review of Marvel Tables:

http://www.thatgamerpodcast.com/2010...-pinball-fx-2/

Much better score now that the reviewer actually played the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindsparks View Post
    An updated review from ThatGamerPodcast:

http://www.thatgamerpodcast.com/2010...one-rethought/

Review of Marvel Tables:

http://www.thatgamerpodcast.com/2010...-pinball-fx-2/

Much better score now that the reviewer actually played the game.
    Joel says that nudging is useless He just lit another fire and doesn't know it.

Pinball FX 2 is the number 1 XBLA game this week.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/...nov-dec-6.aspx

God is in his place, all is right with the world.

Mind you, Geometry Wars 2 isn't on the list. That is just plain wrong.

I just have a PS3 but in january I will buy a 360 to play PFX 2.
    Can`t wait !!! The new tables looks so great

A rather slight review from G4:

http://g4tv.com/videos/50413/Pinball-FX2-Video-Review/

Their upshot: 4/5. Game should come with a "real" table (e.g. The Addams Family or Twilight Zone).

My review of their review: 2/5. ("Certificate of Attendance")

KickBeaten Down

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    A rather slight review from G4:

http://g4tv.com/videos/50413/Pinball-FX2-Video-Review/

Their upshot: 4/5. Game should come with a "real" table (e.g. The Addams Family or Twilight Zone).

My review of their review: 2/5. ("Certificate of Attendance")
    They did give Marvel Pinball 5/5.