Thread: Patch and DLC news (patch out now worldwide!)

KickBeaten Down

Default Patch and DLC news (patch out now worldwide!)

The patch is out in Europe. Unfortunately, we had a delay in getting SCEA approval, and North America won't get the patch until Sept. 21. [Edit - the patch is out a week early in NA!]

Here are the major items:
    - PlayStation®Move controls added
    - Refined mechanism for each putting style
    - New overview camera controls added
    - Practice mode added
    - Restart hole option for Single Play courses added
    - 3-player multiplayer mode (online/local) added
    - Custom hole rating in multiplayer modes added
    - Custom hole information on loading screen added
    - Hole magnet timeout added
    - Weekly Tournament badge bug fixed
    - All Weekly Tournament scoreboards can be browsed
    - Improved voice chat quality
    - Updated par values on Single Player courses

The new DLC, "Stronghold Island", is also available in Europe now and in North America on Sept. 21. It's €1.99 / £1.59.
    - Trailer on YouTube
    - 36 new holes (divided into 4 courses)
    - 4 trophies
    - new course creator theme/objects
    - new tournaments

The new course is fantastic! All kinds of new and unique objects, really fresh and nice to play on. I hope there will be more in the future

Move support is also great, I can't wait for Move even more now. It's a very nice surprise you added this feature, love it!

many thanks for the ongoing support for this great PSN game.
    especially the 3-player MP and move support are great additions and i will also get the new DLC cource.
    great work guys!

Default good but problems

Hey That patch does add some great stuff... but most of my friends are in the us or canada and now i can't play with them - every games craches on load... if trying the play with a non patched player... i'm in australia... or is it just me.. dunno... 2 weeks without my usual buddies seems a long time - i'm a sook

asside that the patch is great - blood fantastic - like the percentage power metre on direct putt too

Overall..

An excellent patch..

but...

Where oh where can I set the par for my custom holes. I understood that this was going to be added but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I only ask because I'm still waiting for my published course holes to be given a par so whenever I play them I'm immediately over par after I've played the first shot. Setting the par myself would be the answer to having to wait for weeks before I can play them properly.

Also I noticed that when I play them my accumulated score (shots) is never displayed as I play the course. Is this just me or is this missing.

Any help on how to set this would be appreciated.

Keep up the good work

(Can't wait to get the new course and theme)

Slippery.

Well as nice as the listed updates are, that is only about 1/2 of what is needed. One HUGE update I don't see is New Style Leaderboards, where wins/losses actually mean something.

I can positively tell you this, if wins/losses mean nothing after this patch, you will loose me and all of my friends, 6 of us, and probably 1/2 the people who play this game.

As fun as the game is, we are getting bored to death with it because wins/losses mean nothing. There is nothing to look forward to. All other sports game in the entire market have a value set on wins/losses and this games does not, why would you do that and why would you not fix it when we asked for it???

Please tell me you left it out of the list but will be in the NA patch????
    Last edited by MLT24; 09-09-2010 at 04:33 PM.

i have one question about the new patch.
    you said it adds 3-person MP, but i can't find that option.
    when i want to set up an local game it still only shows 2, 4 and 6 player options.
    how can i set up a game for 3 ppl?

Default damn the percentage

This is the biggest mistake in the patch. I would almost rather have no patch at all, than having the putting-touch destroyed by percentage which will eliminate any funny small put-fails, and that ruins the fun.

Why that? Nobody wanted that. I hope you get rid of it, at least make it optional - my and my friends hate it and it has taken out af lot of the charm of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by andershede View Post
    This is the biggest mistake in the patch. I would almost rather have no patch at all, than having the putting-touch destroyed by percentage which will eliminate any funny small put-fails, and that ruins the fun.

Why that? Nobody wanted that. I hope you get rid of it, at least make it optional - my and my friends hate it and it has taken out af lot of the charm of the game.
    Oh no, tell me it isn't so??? You are right, it would destroy the game. The game is cool because anyone can win given the delicate putting touch. If it is now automatic, that will also destroy the game. The only people I heard complaining were people who just started the game, not anyone who has gotten the hang of it.

Please tell me it isn't so!!!!!

KickBeaten Down

Quote Originally Posted by andershede View Post

This change was to address an almost universal complaint in the PMG reviews. Short putts were definitely too hard pre-patch with the "Direct" putting system - it was very easy to overshoot, especially for players new to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    This change was to address an almost universal complaint in the PMG reviews. Short putts were definitely too hard pre-patch with the "Direct" putting system - it was very easy to overshoot, especially for players new to the game.
    Exactly, only newbies had a problem with it. That should be the case in any game, there should be a learning curve. But there wasn't actually anything wrong with it, once you got the hang of it, it was no problem and I found very accurate and challenging.

Well if you guys went out of your way to fix something like that, I hope you fixed all the other problems where our balls get stuck in places and can't get out. IF you adjusted the swing and didn't fix the obvious glitches, then that would just be unacceptable from this gamers perspective. Also, wins/losses must count for something, unacceptable if not fixed as well.

Just giving you guys honest feadback from the gamers who have played your game a lot. I understand you wanted to make the putting style easier out of the box so you can make more sales, but I also hope you have taken care of us who have bought it and have helped you sell it by getting our friends to buy it.

I just can't express enough how wins/losses must count for something. I have sold your game to all my friends, 8 of us play this game at least 5 times a week. We want the games to count! Or were gone. Won't be buying DLC.

Default patch

got my verson ov the patch last night,now i understand the problem with the percentage putting everyone is yelling about. All of the other upgrdes seem to be fine except for not being able to invite ranked matches anymore why did this go away?finally got all my badges for my old weekly tounys so that was cool. guess with the percentage put we will have to learn to direct putt again be you a new player or old player because going by the lines like we used to doesnt work anymore,by the way did style points start getting harder to get because where used to if you were cloce to the hole and hit it alittle harder than normal you would get at least 20 points in direct putt but not anymore.

Default ZEN (Solitude) - Please Read

Man, Europeans are brutal, and the patch hasn't even been released in the USA, so who knows what the American's will say after the 21st. But i do know one thing, it's no easy task to release a patch for a game, especially with all the development and red tape you have to go through.

That being said, I give an A+ for effort to ZEN for the simple fact that they gave a patch at all, and I do appreciate the effort from Solitude (or whatever his real name is) and his crew.

I do have a very important question for Solitude (ZEN). I understand SCEA/game testing issues can make it pain to get patches through for new content. However, is it equally difficult to release small updates/hotfixes to make tweaks in your game, or is it possible to push a small hotfix through at any time via an auto-update (no new content, just user interface/mechanic changes; which is what most of these brutal comments are about)?

For example, if the latter is true then would it be possible to simply re-add the old direct control to the game as an OPTION in the menu, or would we have to wait until another paid DLC is added (however many months it takes)?

Planet Minigolf is a wonderful game, but I hate to see it torn to shreds by the most dedicated members of its community. In a game where user created content and community are so important, I fear you will lose your most loyal players if these issues aren't fixed PROMPTLY, which will absolutely kill this game.
    Last edited by shipwrecksos; 09-15-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Hi,

even if I live in Canada somehow the game downloaded the patch last night.

At first I was really excited and I was quickly going through the menus to see what has changed... apparently not much... ok, here comes the Single Player, on an Extreme course where I was classified in the first 100 on the leaderboard (so I know it pretty well!). Guess what! I was unable to finish the course in less than 50 strokes using the new Direct putt.

As this user put it really well here http://195.56.170.66/forum/showthread.php?t=2468 the new putting really puts experienced player out of the game. Instead of the nice, fine, control we used to have, now all you can do is to try to jerk the stick and maybe get the "right" percentage. Before it was all about "feeling" the stroke, just like in real life. Now it is all a lottery. PLus that you can now see how the other guy got the "whole in one"... it takes the mistery out the game!

From a game I used to love and play daily as single player and with my frinds online and in local multiplayer, if this will not be addressed, I will end up with another useless PS3 application.

To the devs: please don't get me wrong... the game is awsome, but some of the changes in the last patch simply made it un-playable for the experienced crowd. If I would start to play the demo now, probably, I would decide not to purchase because of the random nature of the controls... and this will mean 10$ less in revenue for your company.

Please guys, fix these issues, or at least, give the user the choice which method of Direct putt to use (the original one or the percentage one)!

Until this will not be addressed unfortunately I will not play again Planet Minigolf!

Best regards,
    Alex
    Vancouver, BC
    Last edited by spacejumper; 09-16-2010 at 06:26 PM.

KickBeaten Down

We are definitely listening to the complaints with the patch (W/L record for ranked multiplayer, % display as an option, etc.) and will address them in the next patch.

However, we don't have a time frame to give you yet.

Thanks to Solitute for listening to our feedback!

"% display as an option" - just to be clear here, we are talking about the whole Direct swing mechanics, which now are completely different than the original version of the game, and not only the actual display of the % on screen?

cheers!

KickBeaten Down

Quote Originally Posted by spacejumper View Post
    Thanks to Solitute for listening to our feedback!

"% display as an option" - just to be clear here, we are talking about the whole Direct swing mechanics, which now are completely different than the original version of the game, and not only the actual display of the % on screen?

cheers!
    Right. We don't want to make a knee-jerk decision on the mechanic itself, though - once people have had time to get used to the change, then we have a better idea whether it needs to be reverted. Old players will obviously have a preference for the mechanic they have been using, even if it is not as good.

Right. We don't want to make a knee-jerk decision on the mechanic itself, though - once people have had time to get used to the change, then we have a better idea whether it needs to be reverted. Old players will obviously have a preference for the mechanic they have been using, even if it is not as good.
    Solitude, thanks for clearing this one up!

Still this one does not put my mind (and I am sure other people feel the same) at ease. Why just not offer both mechanics into the Options menu? You can make the one you feel it is better the default one and have the second one as an option for the crowd that got initially used with it. This in my oppinion would be a fair compromise.

Because right now the game feels unplayable for many, I am not really sure how much time the old players will spend going through all the frustration the new mechanic causes. Probably you have some stats and reporting on the back end and hopefully they will give you an accurate image of what is actually going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggler View Post
    when i want to set up an local game it still only shows 2, 4 and 6 player options.
    I have the same problem. I'm using Move, maybe 3-player local multiplayer is not supported by Move (that would be stupid :P)?

KickBeaten Down

Quote Originally Posted by Diggler View Post
    This may have been an oversight on our part. I'm looking into it.

Default How do I set Left-handed controls with Move

I like the Move support, but one problem. How do I set it up for a left-handed person?

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    I like the Move support, but one problem. How do I set it up for a left-handed person?
    If you are playing alone just go into game options (press Start, and then options) and change stance (you will see small silhouette with move). Regarding multiplayer, you choose stance, as you would choose a controller.

KickBeaten Down

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    If you are playing alone just go into game options (press Start, and then options) and change stance (you will see small silhouette with move). Regarding multiplayer, you choose stance, as you would choose a controller.
    Thanks for the helpful info! One small addition: to change this in game options, I believe you need to do so before you start a game, rather than during the game.

Default memorable aftsili

Very strange. I looked all over the place for it. I could not find it. I wonder if there was an issue with the update. I will try to re-install the game. I had bought originally the first day it came out.

Unhappy User courses and Online gaming gone!!

Hi,

As i wrote in http://195.56.170.66/forum/showthread.php?t=2478
    I can neither access any user-defined courses (they are not even showing up, it just says "communication failed") nor can I play Online-Multiplayer any more.
    On the top-level menu, it says "Entfällt" for the user courses what can be translated to English as smthg like "not applicable".

This is since I installed the patch today!! And yes, my Internet connection is ok.

What happened here?
    Please help!

Btw, I have the German version of the game, country setting "Switzerland".

Thanks for the helpful info! One small addition: to change this in game options, I believe you need to do so before you start a game, rather than during the game.
    This is correct. I was looking in game at the options.

Ok, I got it. Thanks.

By the way, any chance Zen is going to do a Planet Minigolf pinball table for Zen Pinball?

Question 3 player local?

This may have been an oversight on our part. I'm looking into it.
    I really hope the lack of 3 player local play will be fixed. I even bought the stronghold island addon because it supposedly has 3 player local... no dice. Seriously frustrating. I don't want to have to play the fourth player when there is only 3 of us playing.

KickBeaten Down

Quote Originally Posted by sixtyeight View Post
    I really hope the lack of 3 player local play will be fixed. I even bought the stronghold island addon because it supposedly has 3 player local... no dice. Seriously frustrating. I don't want to have to play the fourth player when there is only 3 of us playing.
    I informed the team last week that it wasn't working properly in local mode - should be fixed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by HoleMan View Post
    Hi,

As i wrote in http://195.56.170.66/forum/showthread.php?t=2478
    I can neither access any user-defined courses (they are not even showing up, it just says "communication failed") nor can I play Online-Multiplayer any more.
    On the top-level menu, it says "Entfällt" for the user courses what can be translated to English as smthg like "not applicable".

This is since I installed the patch today!! And yes, my Internet connection is ok.

What happened here?
    Please help!

Btw, I have the German version of the game, country setting "Switzerland".
    Is there any news on this?
    Unfortunately, the problem persists. In the meantime, I also purchased and installed the new Mediterranean courses (great fun, btw!), but no change. The user courses and online gaming remain unavailable. Please help!
    Thanks.

Regards

Default Thanks & Suggestions

Hi Solitude,
    First of all, well done and thanks for addressing peoples complaints/issues. Its always good to see fans getting supported by the game makers.

Secondly, about the offline multiplayer.
    Is there any more news of when 3-player will be supported, ie, when the next patch is coming?

I also have some suggestions you might want to consider for improving the offline MP aswell.

It would be good to be able to name the players instead of having to remember which friend is P1, P2, P3, etc.
    It would also be nice to be able to create and play my own custom courses with friends without ever having to go online. (I dont have much download quota). Ie, create holes offline, save to HDD, create course offline, save to HDD, go into local multiplayer, and have the option to play a custom course from the HDD.
    These changes would make the game so much more fun for playing with friends.

Thanks for your time, and keep up the good work.

KickBeaten Down

We don't have a date set for the next update, but I will let you know as soon as possible.

Your suggestions make sense - I would guess that it is too late to include them in the next update, but perhaps down the road we can incorporate them.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply Solitude,

It would be great to see my suggestions come to fruition somewhere down the line. It would mean offline multiplayer would be much more simplified. Eg, everyone can make a hole then make a course out of those holes, and get straight into the multiplayer offline, without having to connect online, publish holes, make sure there's enough publish slots, publish courses, etc.

And no more "Player 3, its your turn" "JEFF HURRY UP" "I'm not player three, thats you Tom" "What? No, I thought I was player 1" "No I'm player 1" "Get stuffed Rick, I'm player 1 coz I'm winning" "Then who's player 1?" "Oh, wait it was me" etc... :P

Keep up the good work, this game is a riot to play with friends.

Wow, if you guys are not going to fix the game, please just tell us. It is like you just stopped supporting a game you sold me, and in the first year. Where did you go, what is going on? I haven't played in probably 6 months, waiting on the fix.

Very good DLC and patch, thanks, we are waiting for others !

Default Weekly Tournament

Why isn't there any Weekly Tournaments? I thought weekly meant...well...weekly!

Please create another weekly tournament so I can get my trophy.

Thanks for a great game!

Default 100% trohies not attainable!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRene View Post
    Why isn't there any Weekly Tournaments? I thought weekly meant...well...weekly!

Please create another weekly tournament so I can get my trophy.

Thanks for a great game!

Ok, so I guess we won't be able to participate in any more weekly torunaments?

I have sent a PM to both crackervizzo and Solitude but no reply...

I guess this means I won't be getting 100% trophies on this game, wich will be my first game I cannot complete

So in other words, we can add this game to this list? http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/gam...-trophies.html

Quote Originally Posted by TheRene View Post
    Ok, so I guess we won't be able to participate in any more weekly tournaments?
    Well their definition of Weekly Tournament is different than ours. These tournaments usually pop up ever couple of months and last for a week.

I saw Zen had one up about a month ago. You just need to wait patiently. They will eventually post a new one up. They aren't easy to make (they have to make nine new holes through the level editor) and that's why we don't see one being posted up weekly.

Default Weekly Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    Well their definition of Weekly Tournament is different than ours. These tournaments usually pop up ever couple of months and last for a week.

I saw Zen had one up about a month ago. You just need to wait patiently. They will eventually post a new one up. They aren't easy to make (they have to make nine new holes through the level editor) and that's why we don't see one being posted up weekly.
    Ok, thanks for the info. Though it seems weird that their weekly tournaments is up every couple of months at best.

I'll keep an eye out for another tournament, but I won't have my hopes up. For obvious reasons.