Thread: Hot-Seat multiplayer ??

Default Hot-Seat multiplayer ??

Where is the hot-seat multiplayer ?? It seems only available for the 4 new tables, but how do we play hot-seat with Excalibur or Street Fighter, which feature was available in Pinball FX 1 ???

Really Zen, I love your work, but here I really don't understand. For years I've been waiting for hot-seat multiplayer for all tables in PFX1 and I told you many times by e-mails, you said it was a big mistake from you and you said this feature would appear very soon, then you finally released PFX2 and, not only the feature is not available for old tables, but it's not even available for Excalibur, Earth Defense and Street Fighter any more !! I'm very disappointed, it's the only feature I wanted, game modes for playing with players at the other side of the world have been improved a lot, but I still can't play with the friend sitting in the sofa right next to me? In what kind of world are we living ? Please tell me there will be an update or something...
    Last edited by Vincent; 11-09-2010 at 09:56 PM.

This seems very odd.

Vincent, you are saying that it is impossible to play multiplayer locally on a single table view? i.e. As you would normally do on a real pinball table?

I know that on some of the later table releases e.g. Earth Defense, you could select the number of players using the flipper buttons before the start of a game.

Is this no longer possible?

Kimkom, it's no longer possible. Only for the 4 new tables can you select hot-seat, in a "multiplayer" sub-menu. This is not available for all other tables.

Well, like you say Vincent, this is very disappointing news.

I can see that it may be have been troublesome to implement this into the older PFX1 core tables, given that they didn't originally support local multiplayer. However, to now remove this feature on the tables you mention is disappointing.

Perhaps this is an oversight Zen can fix with an update?

Either way, local multiplayer i.e. up to 4 players taking alternate turns on the same table should have been available from the start.

Afterall, that's how a real pinball table accommodates multiplayer support.

I will investigate this tonight.

Care to comment, Zen?

KickBeaten Down

Looking into it...

Let's cross fingers...

I've got a feeling that due to the complete rebuild of the PFX platform, hotseat multiplayer may not be possible on the older tables.

I hope that isn't the case.

In the game help, they say that split-screen is only possible for new tables, but they don't say the same about hot-seat. Split and classic hot-seat are part of the same submenu, which does not appear for old tables. So I hope the explanation is that they just forgot that the submenu also contains classic hotseat. I hope hot-seat is ready for old tables. If this is not the case, I really won't understand...

This is from an article at gameSpot :

"Hot seat multiplayer mode was featured before, but now you can play it across all tables."

Link to the article : http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/puzz...&mode=previews

I was sure there would be no problem with this feature, considering it was one of the first "problems" with PBFX, one of the first "things to change".
    Last edited by Vincent; 10-28-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Vincent,

This is an interesting point that you raise. The Gamespot article makes it even more curious.

I believe this warrants a reply from Zen.

And I believe many people asked for this feature. Here's an example :

"Most important to me would be to add local multiplayer to all tables as a fundamental feature of the engine."
    http://www.gamerbytes.com/2010/07/se..._coming_to.php

Default Agreed

I am with you guys. I think the hot seat multiplayer is fun and should be included, but more importantly I really really really want to see the couch 2p multiplayer for ALL tables.

To be honest, me and my buddies picked up PFX2 to play each other VS, while its cool that I can play them (or other people) over Xbox Live... we've found that its 100x more fun playing quick rounds to 5 mil with winner stays (like we've done for years with fighting games). And with 5 guys and whiskey it gets really competitive and fun.

Unfortunately... only the new tables support 2p multiplayer on the same TV... I was bummed to see that the older tables don't have this option and therefore it's a little harder for us to want to buy the older ones if they don't allow for what I think is the BEST new feature in PFX2.

So, if the developers are reading this... You guys have made an awesome game, the tables are fun as hell, the graphics are slick, and we can't wait to see new tables come out, but some of us out here want to play it competitively against our buddies in the same room and by updating the older tables so they can be played 2p VS is a HUUUUUUGE selling point.

Keep up the good work Zen and we hope to see an update on those older tables soon.

Thank you Scruffian.

"And I believe many people asked for this feature." I think I was right.

But honestly, having talked with Zsolt through e-mails many times about that problem, I am sure that he wouldn't have made this sequel without the hot-seat for old tables. He was too much aware of this being a great flaw in PFX1. And Zen wouldn't have removed the SFII, Earth Defense and Excalibur Hot-Seat if they were not planning to add the hot seat submenu for every table. PFX2 is supposed to ADD features, not to REMOVE features !!
    Therefore I am sure there will be an update very soon.

Even worse when you sign in to play hot seat and are using separate profiles
    it just uses player 1 and player 2 does not save scores or anything. You have to hand the controller back and forth instead of using separate profiles and separate controllers.

Default but derbale

Yes, I've been finding myself scoring very high in 2 player mode and not being able to record it in the hi-scores. I have no idea why hot-seat is that much the "parent pauvre" in PFX development...

I came to actually complain about this. Basically there's three problems in my view.

I can't play local hotseat unless I'm playing Pasha, Secret of the Deep, Rome, or Biolab. I'd like to play on all tables I bought, not just the few new ones.

Second, Your score doesn't get recorded. I'd like to earn achievements and high scores. That way if I get a great run going on my 2 player game that's done legit, I get it recorded so everyone can hear about it.

Third, and related to number two, I'd like to use two different controllers for the mode. And different profiles for each, that way I can record my score for each player, and potentially earn achievements.

Any chance of us getting these?

Edit: Btw I wanted to say, I'm complaining about the one thing I feel is missing, otherwise the game is the best money I've spent on the Xbox this year. Thanks for it.
    Last edited by Kinglink; 10-30-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Kinglink,

You sumed it up very well. All of your suggestions are very sensible, all of this should have been in the game from the beginning. It was forgotten in PFX1, and nobody understands why it was not put into PFX2... For now all we can do is wait for Zen's answer. Those programmers are doing amazing work, I'm sure they will sort it out...

Quote Originally Posted by Kinglink View Post
    I came to actually complain about this. Basically there's three problems in my view.

I can't play local hotseat unless I'm playing Pasha, Secret of the Deep, Rome, or Biolab. I'd like to play on all tables I bought, not just the few new ones.

Second, Your score doesn't get recorded. I'd like to earn achievements and high scores. That way if I get a great run going on my 2 player game that's done legit, I get it recorded so everyone can hear about it.

Third, and related to number two, I'd like to use two different controllers for the mode. And different profiles for each, that way I can record my score for each player, and potentially earn achievements.

Edit: Btw I wanted to say, I'm complaining about the one thing I feel is missing, otherwise the game is the best money I've spent on the Xbox this year. Thanks for it.

That is what I was trying to say thanks

I would also like hot seat and 2p vs for all tables.
    I've bought them all and would like these features.

Also, really looking forward to some new tables ASAP.
    Maybe some of the ones found on the core game of Zen pinball PS3 as well as the 3 planned DLC.

Let's hope the answer to this mystery will comme during this week...

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Kinglink View Post

What kinglink said!!!!!

My wife wanted to play some 2p on the Excalibur table last night. We spent 30 minutes trying to figure out why we couldn't do a 2p game on Excalibur. The in-game help didn't say anything about hotseat multiplayer being available in only the new tables.

PFX2 is a great game, but it could be an *awesome* family game if local multiplayer was available across all tables.

Torqued,

You're completely right. As I pointed out in one of my previous posts,
    "In the game help, they say that split-screen is only possible for new tables, but they don't say the same about hot-seat."

This is very important, because it could confirm what we were almost sure about : that Zen was indeed planning to make hot seat available for all tables. The other big clue is that if Zen had given up about an in-game hot seat menu, they would not have removed the possibility to trigger hot seat in the matrix by pressing flipper buttons at the beginning of a Street Fighter, Earth Defense or Excalibur game... They removed it because it was no more needed ! I see no other explanation.
    Last edited by Vincent; 11-04-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Default Gutted...

Really love this game, but getting bored of those same 4 maps with my mates! Please complete this game with offline multi-player across all tables.

Jenko

Like Kinglink said :

"I wish all tables had local hot seat multiplayer and really wish each player could use their own profile and controller and record their own score."

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/60550...0574/630015602

And like Pinballer said :

"I'm also wondering if the local high scores will be patched.

Offline the old tables list only 1 high score I can check when the game is over. It would be a lot better if multiple high scores were listed in start menu like with the new tables, with ability to enter initials.

It would also be nice if high scores were visible in table select screen too. Offline I can only see the achievements where online there are lots of different high scores.

It's a great game but it's a shame only the 4 core tables work fully."

With this last sentence I completely agree.
    Last edited by Vincent; 11-04-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Not to be a downer but that post is actually mine, though many people agreed with me about that being a major feature.

I did say though that if that was solved, the game would be near perfect, so a patch could definitely improve it. Just waiting to hear it's definitely being worked on, or an estimated ETA.

KickBeaten Down

We're working on local multiplayer for old tables, but no ETA.

Excellent news !

Default fend idayings

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    We're working on local multiplayer for old tables, but no ETA.
    Any chance you do something about the local-offline high scores for the old tables?

The only way to check my high score is to play a game so I see the 1 highest score in the end summary. Feels really unfinished compared to new tables which have top 10 in start menu with anyone's initials. The best would be to be able to see the scores in the table select screen but that would be just a bonus.

And if nothing can be done about it, will the 3 upcoming tables work like the 4 new tables?

Pinballer, I think you sould not worry about new tables : there is no doubt that all upcoming tables will behave exactly like Pasha, Rome, Biolab and SOTD.

However, the problem with old tables is big and urgent. It is absolutely not normal that old tables don't get the same hot-seat and hi-score features. Those problems already existed in PFX1, and PFX2 was partly created to solve them : Zen can't let us down with all of this.

But look, they just had so many things to think about because PFX2 was so ambitious, that they might have put up some problems they knew they could fix later in a patch. In his last e-mail, here is what Zsolt Kigyossy wrote about PFX2 release : "This is a VERY complex release, there are lots and lots of old and new elements, which shall work perfectly together." No wonder they need some rest now...

Anyway Zen, make no mistake, the fact we are raising this problem doesn't mean we don't all agree to say that you did an amazing work ! We all love PFX2 and we all love you for making such a wonderful game, and your old fans will keep supporting you as they always did !!
    Last edited by Vincent; 11-09-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Yea yea. I don't need the features today, I'm just bringing them up (no such thing as too much). I didn't buy FX1 because it was bad in multiple ways but FX2 is great and I feel Zen actually listens feedback

So far I've only bought the new tables and Excalibur so I haven't lost much. I will buy more tables when the issues are solved

Ok, I've got an answer from Zsolt. They were unable to implement hot seat in "old" tables because "some of those codes have been written 2-3 years ago".

But he says they "will do their very best to address the issue".

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Ok, I've got an answer from Zsolt. They were unable to implement hot seat in "old" tables because "some of those codes have been written 2-3 years ago".

But he says they "will do their very best to address the issue".
    I guess all we can do now then is hope. Thanks for letting us know Vincent.

Default Hmmmmm...

The problem is that hotseat WAS on some of the old tables, so why take it away? Was more after the split-screen anyway, unless they make hot-seat scores count on leaderboards, as they should. Just MHO.

Any progress reports Zen? Have you made any headway regarding adding in local hotseat for old tables? Having only four tables to choose from when playing with my friends is very limiting, as they all have personal favourites that we cant play.

I'm glad to see that this is something being looked into. I just hope that it does indeed see a solution, as it is a real bummer for my kids and I to not be able to play on some of our favorite tables together, when we could actually do it on the first game.

I'd like to say, as far as the single controller thing goes...

If you do add the ability to play hot seat multiplayer with multiple controllers, please do NOT remove the ability to play with a single controller. The 360 that my kids and I play pinball on is in an arcade machine, and it has dedicated pinball buttons for launch and flipper. These buttons are tied to the player one controller, and if you remove the single controller option, it will kill hot seat play altogether for me. I am all for multiple controller use as well, but please make it an option where each player can hit start or something on the controller they will be using, whether it is the same one or not.

Glad to see that Exca finally got its hot-seat, although not on 360 version...