View Poll Results: Would you buy PFX2/Zen Pinball on a disc?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 68.18%
  • No

7 31.82%

Thread: Would you buy it on a disc?

Default Would you buy it on a disc?

I'm somewhat of a video game collector and DLC is great, but there's just something about owning a tangible product. Knowing that in 20 years I can fire up the old 360 and pop in the disc means something to me. Would you guys be willing to buy PFX on a disc? How many tables would be needed to make it worth it? What would be a fair price?

I voted "no" but I'll admit that since it would probably have 1,000 achievement points I'd probably think about it. If it had even one table not available as a download, that too would probably compel me.

Still, all things being equal, I like downloads better than physical discs. I've even taken to the "Games on Demand" section of the Marketplace to the extent that I'd rather just wait for a download to become available instead of buying a physical disc earlier.

Phiveball, I like the new avatar!

I can understand where you are coming from with this. The same can be said of the current music generation too - all those mp3 files, I feel sorry for the kids of today!

It's a 'yes' from me, but I understand why Zen choose to deliver via dlc.

a firm no from me.

it works as an arcade game brilliantly.
    you can just stick on for a go here and there between other things or have a marathon and it is fairly cheap.

having a disc would make this a hassle to play and there is no where near enough content to justify getting up and putting the disc in every single time you want to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr List View Post
    a firm no from me.

it works as an arcade game brilliantly.
    you can just stick on for a go here and there between other things or have a marathon and it is fairly cheap.

having a disc would make this a hassle to play and there is no where near enough content to justify getting up and putting the disc in every single time you want to play.
    Plus it would obviously inflate the cost somewhat. I can see both sides of the coin here.

I figured it would up the price a bit, and to many that would be the turn off. I honestly wouldn't mind spending a bit more for a tangible product. I look at it more like an actual disc will guarantee that I will be able to play it as long as I have a working console. It's doubtful that these tables will be available for download 5, 10, or 15 years from now. Maybe when Zen's table total reaches 25-30 and they add 5 exclusive disc only tables would it be worth it to the masses. I'm sure there are many 360 owners that simply do not download games. I've never looked into it, but I would guess that only 50-60% of 360 owners actually use Live. I pulled that statistic out of my ass though, so I could be way off.

The bigger issue would probably be having a 360 that is still working in 15 years.

I completely understand what you mean. I too am afraid of this strange society in which physical things are replaced by virtual "files".

But let's be practical. Honestly, I don't understand why games are still being made on discs. Or yes I understand, the only reason is marketing. For the user, there are very few advantages. It's very annoying to change the disc every time you want to change the game, and on top of that you have the noise of the DVD drive mechanism and the problems that can occur if the device gets broken.

I think there is no point in keeping physical supports. When you buy a game on a DVD, you usually pay the high price, 60 or even 70 euros, and even if you copy the content to the HDD you always need to put the disc into the drive. Absolutely nothing is done to "reward" the man who buys the game on a DVD.

I think that when a "DVD game" becomes available to download, Microsoft should at least grant free download to those who bought the game on DVD at the high price. It is the minimum that they should do to reward us for buying the actual DVD. But consumers are despised, that's all I can say.
    It's exactly as if Microsoft were saying : "You had better not buy the DVD because if you wait a little, the game will be available on download for 30 euros and you can play it whenever you want without having to bother with a physical disc."

With games like Pinball FX, Braid or Trials HD, you get very high quality games (and not those kinds of products designed all in 3D just in order to fulfill teenagers expectations, and with poor intelligence and gameplay) for reasonables prices. I almost never buy "DVD games" and when I do, I usually regret it ; and in the countrary when I spend 3 € in a Pinball FX table, not only do I never regret it, but I find it so wondefully made, so addictive, that I feel like I could have paid 10 € for it. Yes, some people will yell at me because I said that, but sorry guys, that's what I think : the little price doesn't reflect the amount of time and efforts put into every single table by the ZEN team. But whatever, what I mean is, with DLC from Zen, for once, the consumer is respected, well treated. Why want a DVD and make simple things more complex ?

I would not buy it on a disc, either. Zen Studios makes a great pinball game, but I prefer to be able to load it up and play it at my leisure instead of hunting a disc out and all the work with that.

I find myself playing it most often when the game on the disc I *AM* playing drives me to distraction at last, and I need to do something that's more relaxing and soothing to my nerves. I might play it more than the game that's in the 360 sometimes, but that's because it's in their waiting for me.

I can also just jump to it when someone shows up without digging it out and going through the motions of loading it and so forth. See my friend show up, get out of my other game, and be ready to challenge him in a few moments.

It's lazy, yeah, but it's the truth.

It's swings and roundabouts really.

I can see where Phiveball is coming from with this. As with collectors of anything, it matters that their collection is of tangible objects. A collection of files just isn't the same.

Another plus for a disc based version of anything is that if the hardware packs in, it's pretty straightforward to re-install from disc rather than have to do so via download. That can open up a whole world of pain via customer ID, account details, credit card details, internet configuration, download time etc etc.
    Last edited by kimkom; 11-03-2010 at 08:26 AM.

If I did not have the game, absolutely, I think 6 to 8 tables would be a good deal. A superb product, gaming gold, made me aware of a pinball addiction I did not know was lurking within me : )

I voted yes not for myself so much as for those who might not have LIVE for whatever reason. Some just don't have access to broadband some don't want to pay for Live.

It would be nice to have all the DLC and XBLA games on discs, but the external HDD support is potentially pretty much the same.

I wouldn't buy it on disc either. PFX2 is an arcade game I play for a while here and there. I wouldn't want a disc to do just that

And Vincent: The biggest reason is that not everyone has reliable high-speed connections or the larger HDDs available. Having only digital games would make gaming an elitist hobby.
    +High prices with rare and limited time discounts
    +Having to be connected to Steam, DRM servers, Live if you've done license migration...
    +Other people always deciding when to pull the plug
    =All in all physical media is safer and more technologically viable

Quote Originally Posted by pinballer View Post
    The biggest reason is that not everyone has reliable high-speed connections or the larger HDDs available. Having only digital games would make gaming an elitist hobby.
    That may be somewhat true today but the next generation will probably have 750GB-1TB drives from jump (that's a minimum of 30 Blu-ray-sized games).
    +High prices with rare and limited time discounts
    That's better than no discounts at all, unless you're counting used games which of course are a problem for the developers/publishers that they're still trying to sort out.
    +Having to be connected to Steam, DRM servers, Live if you've done license migration...
    You don't always have to be connected to Steam to play Steam games and a similar system could apply to downloaded console games; in fact, it could be easier since each console can have unique identifiers.
    +Other people always deciding when to pull the plug
    That excuse is wearing thin. Though multiplayer degenerates over time (for both technological and social reasons), I expect to be able to play my games as long as Xbox Live stays in business, which right now looks like a very long time. Besides, the crowd that pulls out "ancient" game systems for play is vanishingly small.
    =All in all physical media is safer and more technologically viable
    Safer only in the sense that it's not dependent on an online system. Optical discs degrade over time and are subject to accidents. My Xbox Live Arcade games will only degrade if for some bizarre reason Microsoft leaves the gaming business, an eventuality that isn't in any way likely.

There's still the lack of good connections

I'm meaning all discounts. I can buy a couple of years old unused games cheaper than I could on Live mostly. Industry might want to get rid of those but that's a huge reason to buy games. It would be much harder for smaller developers and games to gain ground

Like the issue is with Xbox license migration. After doing that you need to be connected to Live to use your DLCs

You're just more optimistic about it. I consider discs safer and better than virtual files. If Microsoft changes their way and my HDD breaks I'm left with nothing

Quote Originally Posted by pinballer View Post
    I'm meaning all discounts. I can buy a couple of years old unused games cheaper than I could on Live mostly. Industry might want to get rid of those but that's a huge reason to buy games. It would be much harder for smaller developers and games to gain ground
    I'll give you that the current prices on full 360 games are out of line. One would think that the prices would be lower than they are since there's no box, booklet, or disc, and since the "On Demand" games have been around for quite a while.

Still, you're right that I'm optimistic. I've liked just about every move that has been made with Xbox Live (well, I'd prefer that the Gold price didn't go up, but I get a ton of use out of features only available with subscription so I don't find it onerous to spend about $4 a month for it) and I really do think that Microsoft "gets it." I've also spent years now using online services (Steam, EA, GOG, and other publisher-specific services) for all my PC game purchases and I haven't felt cheated yet.

I already have the game so I wouldn't buy it again. XBLA games are convenient, not having to switch the disc...

If it was done as an XBLA compilation style disc, then no. None of the XBLA games that come on compilation discs play from the hard drive without spinning the disc.

If they bothered to make it a stand alone disc that would install and play from HDD without spinning, then maybe (if I didn't already have it), and if it included all the tables (kind of tough when the game just came out and there are possibly years of new DLC ahead).

I'm holding out for a sale on the individual tables from PFX1 for now.