Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Fullscreen Portrait View???

  1. #1

    Default Fullscreen Portrait View???

    Really enjoying Pinball FX 2 atm and would just like to thank Zen Studios for such a great simulator and their on going support for the game (really looking forward to the Marvel pack).

    I have a request to be added to the next update - would it be possible to add an 8th view option that displays the full table in a portrait view? As i have built a pinball cab which i play Virtual Pinball and Future Pinball on via PC running on a 42" LCD screen for the main playfield, 32" LCD for the Backbox display, and 19" for the DMD display, see my vid here of the cab....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSSkXSNTDwU

    I would really like to stick my 360 in my cab and play Pinball FX 2, which would just be awesome. Is it at all possible we could see a FS portrait veiw added to PBFX2?, heck even people without a cab could rotate there displays and play in portrait view, it really does bring the virtual pinball experience closer to the really thing.

    Also will Zen Studios be realeasing a PC port at all?

    thanks guys
    Last edited by lettuce; 11-23-2010 at 12:26 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Phiveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    133

    Default

    We can hope that this will be incorporated in the future. It has been asked several times before. The problem has been that the 360 does not support output to two monitors. It should still be possible for the playfield only though for a rotated monitor/TV. Fingers crossed.

    Here's a thread where a Zen rep responded to this exact question:
    http://195.56.170.66/forum/showthrea...light=vertical

    Nice build by the way. Here is another thread where a couple people posted pics of theirs:
    http://195.56.170.66/forum/showthread.php?t=2306

  3. #3

    Default

    Yes, please Zen, give us the option of playing the game in a rotated vertical orientation. It's not exactly some great coding feat to add this feature to the game.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spellbot5000 View Post
    It's not exactly some great coding feat to add this feature to the game.
    And you'd know this, how?

    It's far from simple. Look at what a typical Zen table does; how it integrates multiple viewpoints in to the game -- from ball launch to special events -- regardless of the camera view.

    A vertical-only orientation would have to deal with that design. So what would happen? Do the skill-shot camera sequences get lost? What happens to the fixed camera when you play a mini-game? etc.

    I'd like to see a vertical orientation too, but coding and design are only easy if you're not the one doing the work...

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    And you'd know this, how?

    It's far from simple. Look at what a typical Zen table does; how it integrates multiple viewpoints in to the game -- from ball launch to special events -- regardless of the camera view.

    A vertical-only orientation would have to deal with that design. So what would happen? Do the skill-shot camera sequences get lost? What happens to the fixed camera when you play a mini-game? etc.

    I'd like to see a vertical orientation too, but coding and design are only easy if you're not the one doing the work...
    I know this because I'm a programmer, and compared to coding an entire pinball game, it's exceptionally easy to add vertical rotation modes to games. Hell, look at PC games. There are utilities that can make every game out their vertically oriented, even if the game doesn't natively support it. And none of your examples require anything more than cursory tweaks to the camera viewport so things are aligned.

    This doesn't require some massive change to the game to get working. More or less all your doing is rotating the game field, and tweaking the virtual cameras alignment for zooms and what not.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Other games on 360 feature playfield rotation. Ikaruga has this as a default option. The game is a top scrolling space shooter, so a portrait view was considered a must have feature for the game.

    So it can be implemented in the 360, its just if Zen want to do so and if they can add it to the existing game engine. Personally I want a more vertical view, as the flippers are always far to angled in the existing cameras for me to get the timing right for particular shots.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spellbot5000 View Post
    I know this because I'm a programmer, and compared to coding an entire pinball game, it's exceptionally easy to add vertical rotation modes to games..
    I'm a grey-beareded game developer myself, and I disagree. Especially about the "exceptionally easy" bit.

    As already stated, the issue isn't one of simply setting up the required projection matrix. If it were, Zen could release an update overnight. Rather, it's about how to integrate Zen's gameplay-related mechanics in to such a scheme, and keep it visually appealing and in line with the rest of the game. And that takes a lot more work than just a bit of code... (especially when you consider that there are now a couple of dozen tables to retrofit and maintain.)

    BTW, over the years I've found that when someone says adding features is "easy", they're usually not the ones doing the work in question. ;-)
    Last edited by Womble; 11-29-2010 at 08:28 AM.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    I'm a grey-beareded game developer myself, and I disagree. Especially about the "exceptionally easy" bit.

    As already stated, the issue isn't one of simply setting up the required projection matrix. If it were, Zen could release an update overnight. Rather, it's about how to integrate Zen's gameplay-related mechanics in to such a scheme, and keep it visually appealing and in line with the rest of the game. And that takes a lot more work than just a bit of code... (especially when you consider that there are now a couple of dozen tables to retrofit and maintain.)

    BTW, over the years I've found that when someone says adding features is "easy", they're usually not the ones doing the work in question. ;-)
    I am not a developer, so when i am talking, it is indeed out of my ***, but...


    How would it not simply be an issue of just adding a different camera?

    They already have different cameras that you can cycle through. It doesn't seem like it would be hard to add another camera looking at the entire playfield form the side.

    Why would any change in gameplay mechanics be required at all?


    This isn't a feature that I would utilize at all currently, but I have thought about building a virtual pinball cab. I would definitely like to see it implemented, because options are always a good thing.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    27

    Default

    ...maybe now with kinect. we could use only hands without pads or similar....

    however will be for pinball fx 3 .... maybe also fx 4 ....on 2020.

    But it isn t possible because zen studio earn billions with royalties and marketplace then dismissed by work and they goes to live in heaven s islands living as billionaires and making nothing else that fun, girls, party, fast cars, private jet, huge homes, castles yeah they will do all this instead PFX3
    so goodbye pinball fx forever
    Last edited by nstsfn; 11-30-2010 at 06:26 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nstsfn View Post
    ...maybe now with kinect. we could use only hands without pads or similar....

    however will be for pinball fx 3 .... maybe also fx 4 ....on 2020.

    But it isn t possible because zen studio earn billions with royalties and marketplace then dismissed by work and they goes to live in heaven s islands living as billionaires and making nothing else that fun, girls, party, fast cars, private jet, huge homes, castles yeah they will do all this instead PFX3
    so goodbye pinball fx forever
    Pinball FX2 already HAS the ability to play using Kinect. Didnt you look at the game options?

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lexandro View Post
    Pinball FX2 already HAS the ability to play using Kinect. Didnt you look at the game options?

    Unless it has been updated, then no it doesn't.

    It works with the Live Vision Cam, but as Kinect is for some reason not backward compatible with the Vision Cam, then it does not work at all with FX2 or any other former cam supporting game.

  12. #12

    Default man weerstry

    I hope they do decide to add another camera angle for fullscreen use, i wouldnt mind at all if they had to cut the action pop up screen that appear, as i think in a full screen view you would easliy be able to see what was happening. I know these pop up windows add to the experience but to me it would be a small price to pay for having a full screen view!

    Hopefully we'll see a PC release that can support 3 displays, so then you could have the playfiled, dmd score, and backglass art. Even this backglass display could show these skill-shot camera sequences etc!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •