Thread: I have the PS3 version and it's awesome.

Default I have the PS3 version and it's awesome.

Thank you Zen for an amazing product! In my opinion, the way the PS3 version is put together is nicer than the 360 version as these four Marvel tables deserve their own package. The menus and entire presentation is so slick.

Again, thank you Zen!!!

Hi - how did you get the ps3 versions already?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by snarly883 View Post
    Hi - how did you get the ps3 versions already?
    Thanks!
    Destructoid had four codes to give away during their live stream yesterday. They were asking Marvel questions. First to answer each question won a code.

Quote Originally Posted by Flippers View Post
    In my opinion, the way the PS3 version is put together is nicer than the 360 version as these four Marvel tables deserve their own package.
    I disagree with this. If I want to play pinball, I just want to launch one game, then select a table.

The Zen Pinball + Marvel Pinball approach means that if I want to switch from Earth Defense to Blade, I have to quit out of one game, then launch another game, complete with loading screens each time. Awkward, no matter how pretty it is.

(This is the main reason I don't switch my play between Pinball Hall of Fame and Zen/PBFX anymore. I'd rather be playing pinball, than waiting through loading screens and disc insertion of PHoF.)

Still not sure why Zen has done this on the PS3; given how well it works with PBFX2. But I'm pretty sure Zen's ideal is the "platform" approach. Maybe it was a Sony/marketing/PSN-exclusivity issue? Who knows.

Default bowses approve

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    I disagree with this. If I want to play pinball, I just want to launch one game, then select a table.

The Zen Pinball + Marvel Pinball approach means that if I want to switch from Earth Defense to Blade, I have to quit out of one game, then launch another game, complete with loading screens each time. Awkward, no matter how pretty it is.

(This is the main reason I don't switch my play between Pinball Hall of Fame and Zen/PBFX anymore. I'd rather be playing pinball, than waiting through loading screens and disc insertion of PHoF.)

Still not sure why Zen has done this on the PS3; given how well it works with PBFX2. But I'm pretty sure Zen's ideal is the "platform" approach. Maybe it was a Sony/marketing/PSN-exclusivity issue? Who knows.
    We can agree to disagree. I absolutely love the fact that the world of Marvel is a separate game on PS3. For me, the quality of the tables and presentation is so high that I really feel Marvel deserves its own title. If I'm in the mood for Marvel pinball with its 8+ tables I'll play that, if I'm in the mood for Zen (I own all the Zen tables so far) I'll play that. I don't care about switching between the two. A bit of loading? Big deal.

KickBeaten Down

They're both fair points. Ultimately, we went with a standalone for 3 main reasons:
    • We didn't want to force people to buy Zen Pinball before they could buy the Marvel tables
    • We wanted to add some new features/tweaks, and a refit of Zen Pinball and its tables to include these would have required exponentially more work
    • The Zen Pinball interface isn't really ideal for huge numbers of tables

Love, love, love these tables and can't wait to see more. I'm perfectly fine with it being standalone!

I actually did write a review here if anyone wants to check it out...

http://beautifulpeoplesclub.org/boar...inball-review/
    Last edited by amethystvenom; 12-10-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amethystvenom View Post
    Love, love, love these tables and can't wait to see more. I'm perfectly fine with it being standalone!

I actually did write a review here if anyone wants to check it out...

http://beautifulpeoplesclub.org/boar...inball-review/
    Good review, venom. You're right about the loading times, they're noticeably faster. I can't recommend this game highly enough, it's fantastic.

I wanted to go more into the tables but the more I played the more I didn't want to give away for the fans.

I will say now I'd probably take away a .1 or so since I have a blister on my left hand due to the addiction! :-D j/j

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    They're both fair points. Ultimately, we went with a standalone for 3 main reasons:
    • We didn't want to force people to buy Zen Pinball before they could buy the Marvel tables
    • We wanted to add some new features/tweaks, and a refit of Zen Pinball and its tables to include these would have required exponentially more work

That last reason makes me a little nervous. If Zen Pinball is not ideal for a large number of tables, does that infer we aren't getting any more? PS3 owners are already short on tables compared to 360 owners, especially with Paranormal and Mars going their way.

I wanted to go more into the tables but the more I played the more I didn't want to give away for the fans.

I will say now I'd probably take away a .1 or so since I have a blister on my left hand due to the addiction! :-D j/j
    Ha, yeah, nice of you not to go into details of the tables. That's one of the things I like doing - slowly discovering all the things each new table offers as I play.

KickBeaten Down

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron2000 View Post
    That last reason makes me a little nervous. If Zen Pinball is not ideal for a large number of tables, does that infer we aren't getting any more? PS3 owners are already short on tables compared to 360 owners, especially with Paranormal and Mars going their way.
    Oh, there will be more tables. But we wanted to make the Marvel tables front and center, and the ZP interface didn't really allow for that.

Default virtue roadarge

Oh, there will be more tables. But we wanted to make the Marvel tables front and center, and the ZP interface didn't really allow for that.
    Excellent! What are the chances of Zen Pinball 2 coming to fruition?

KickBeaten Down

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron2000 View Post
    Excellent! What are the chances of Zen Pinball 2 coming to fruition?
    I don't know. I would hazard a guess that it depends mostly on how PFX2 ends up doing.

Default sog Cloally

I don't know. I would hazard a guess that it depends mostly on how PFX2 ends up doing.
    Honestly, I'm just thrilled that PS3 owners will be getting more tables down the road. I'm still debating whether or not to buy a 360 though because I feel FX2 is a better package overall and that more focus is being thrown towards that platform.

I've been surprised that PFX2's Marvel tables haven't been advertised on Xbox dashboard (or at least I haven't noticed.. or the ads are dynamic, no use advertising if you already have bought it). Seems odd because a "real" game release like Marvel Pinball on PS3 automatically gets more attention.

I hope all future tables will be free from platform restrictions.

As a customer who has bought every table for Zen Pinball on the PS3 and has also bought the Marvel Pinball pack, the above reasoning does not ring true.

You should have been able to use the same menu framework regardless (publish an update to the original game that checks for the Marvel install and treats it as extra tables, have the Marvel pack install the base framework). It is a programming issue and not insurmountable.

As to features, as far as I tell you have taken away custom soundtracks with the Marvel pack so we have lost an *important* feature with these new tables.

The Marvel table list is horizontal scrolling which is actually more suited to multiple tables considering HD resolutions than the original vertical scrolling mechanism so that argument makes no sense (neither system handles a huge list well but we are talking about less than 20 tables regardless).

I love pinball and really like the Zen product. This artificial separation and the lack of custom soundtracks however is not a positive change and punishes me for being a loyal paying customer.

Cheers

Thanks again Zen for this brilliant game. Now it has been officially released, the scoreboards are going to be really active and I can urge all my Zen-owning friends to buy it immediately! Also, really looking forward to the future tables!

Quote Originally Posted by deathindustrial View Post
    This artificial separation and the lack of custom soundtracks
    What?

What?

I don't like what I'm hearing.

Default Men Fluishan

The division into a separate package does not bother me at all. I really like the revamped UI and feel it is a big improvement over the original ZP chrome. Even if it were the same though, the biggest improvement is the load time. Getting into a Marvel Pinball table is MUCH faster than old ZP. Ever change your mind about what table you want to play in ZP and find yourself dreading the waiting another 2 minutes to get back to the menu and load up the new table? Happened to me all the time.

I am kind of bummed about the background music. I prefer to listen to my own tracks when playing. Hopefully that will be added in a future patch. It's not a dealbreaker though. So far I am really liking the Marvel app. Nice one Zen.

I like the division into two separate games as well. The presentation of Marvel Pinball is slick and much better integrated into PSN. This set of tables and their focus feels a lot different than the other ZEN tables, so it makes logical sense to me to release as a separate title.

Solitude is right... if they were add-ons to ZEN Pinball then newcomers would have to buy the core game plus the add-on tables, which kind of sucks for those who don't want ZEN Pinball.

I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off because I can't play custom soundtracks... but then, I never used it in the first place.

Well done on the Marvel tables, guys, they are all great fun. The visuals on the Blade table are fantastic.

KickBeaten Down

Quote Originally Posted by deathindustrial View Post
    As a customer who has bought every table for Zen Pinball on the PS3 and has also bought the Marvel Pinball pack, the above reasoning does not ring true.

You should have been able to use the same menu framework regardless (publish an update to the original game that checks for the Marvel install and treats it as extra tables, have the Marvel pack install the base framework). It is a programming issue and not insurmountable.

As to features, as far as I tell you have taken away custom soundtracks with the Marvel pack so we have lost an *important* feature with these new tables.

The Marvel table list is horizontal scrolling which is actually more suited to multiple tables considering HD resolutions than the original vertical scrolling mechanism so that argument makes no sense (neither system handles a huge list well but we are talking about less than 20 tables regardless).

I love pinball and really like the Zen product. This artificial separation and the lack of custom soundtracks however is not a positive change and punishes me for being a loyal paying customer.

Cheers
    Custom soundtracks are still there. From what I understand, they are disabled only in multiplayer because of possible copyright issues.

Also, I'm not a liar.

Like Solitude said, custom soundtracks are still a feature. Not sure why you guys think it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Flippers View Post
    Like Solitude said, custom soundtracks are still a feature. Not sure why you guys think it's not there.
    I'm still trying to find where the custom soundtracks are. Can anyone help with this one?

I prefer them being separate. For one the old Zen menus are not as clean as the new Marvel ones. Scoring displays are much more accessible too on Marvel, not to mention the scoring systems between the two games are very different from one another. Zen used things like one minute high scores, and speed scores and the Marvel game from what I've played doesn't track these things. Plus there's hero scores now. Not to mention the loading times on Marvel are infinitely better, so I would much rather have a setup like Marvel where I don't have to wait nearly a minute for a different table to load up. Zen was great and still is but I do prefer the Marvel interface much more.

If anything though it would be nice to be able to import the old Zen tables into the new Marvel game and have the equivalent of what Xbox users have. I agree having them in one area is ideal, but if it meant not having this new interface for PS3 users then forget it, I'd much rather have this new interface.

I'm still trying to find where the custom soundtracks are. Can anyone help with this one?
    Just press the PS button then choose your music from the XMB. Simple.

Thanks! I was way overlooking it being that easy. LOL

I love every table so far, except the Iron Man table. When the save is lit it doesn't last long enough and almost everything that shoots the ball shoots it between the flippers.

But the other 3 are awesome indeed. I can't stop playing!