Results 1 to 38 of 38

Thread: Showing some love for Excalibur

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default Showing some love for Excalibur

    I just finished plying a bunch of Excalibur, and I've gotta say it's still my favorite of the 17 tables so far.

    I loved it in Pinball FX 1, but the new version is SOOO much better. Thank you ZEN for fixing the three issues that annoyed me about the old version.

    The scoring is much more balanced now. In FX 1, you had to complete a mode to score ANY significant points, now the scoring makes a lot more sense.

    In FX1 the left outlane was absolute murder, now it is not nearly as big of an issue.

    The Camelot mini-playfield seems much more do-able now. In FX1 it seemed brokenly difficult, now it feels fair. (Although I've still only managed to defeat the champion once.)

    Anyway, I think Excalibur is the perfect pinball table. I highly recommend it to anyone who's been focusing on the new tables or hasn't played it since FX1.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    731

    Default

    After (frankly) hating the table, I've been playing it more lately.

    The table pitch appears to have been increased. You can no longer trap a fast-moving ball from the in-lanes anymore, making the red-dragon-cave-thingy mode harder to pull off.

    Loading up the multiballs with that right ramp is a bit of a beetch, but I'm working on it.

    I started to appreciate the table once I understood some of the concepts. e.g. hitting the trapped ball and banks in order to turn on left and right kickbacks.

    (And sorry to harp on it Zen, but this is definitely an area where I would have given the table far more time if I'd seen an introductory, animated guide showing the basic shots. I found out how to do some basic shots from YouTube. A moving picture tells a thousand words. Just saying...)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    My method to hit the multiball ramp is to hit the left hole (that starts joust or a tale, but with neither lit) and when it kicks it out to the upper left flipper you can shoot the multiball ramp pretty easily.

    I agree about the rule sheet. I still don't understand why Mordred's ramp has a picture of a woman underneath it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    After (frankly) hating the table, I've been playing it more lately.

    The table pitch appears to have been increased. You can no longer trap a fast-moving ball from the in-lanes anymore, making the red-dragon-cave-thingy mode harder to pull off.
    I haven't felt the need to trap for that. With the left flipper it's just a timing issue and if you get a drop into the right lane it's just a matter of holding the right flipper to get a little pop on the ball and then flipping at the right time.
    Loading up the multiballs with that right ramp is a bit of a beetch, but I'm working on it.
    Yeah, I've still got issues with regularly getting the multiball, partly because it's just a tough shot and partly because I tend to automatically light the quest before I stick in the ole hole. It's quite a multiball though, so I think the difficulty is probably in correct proportion to the reward.

    Anyway, I agree with the OP entirely. Excalibur is the best table, particularly since its FX2 update.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Scotty Canuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    159

    Default

    I agree. Excalibur is one of the few original tables which feel better after the transition to FX2

  6. #6
    Senior Member kimkom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Honestly, I was never a fan of this one but then I again all that sword and sorcery stuff has never really appealed to me.

    It was the last of the batch of PFX1 tables I picked up (but only after I trialed it in PFX2 and a forum buddy give me a nudge - you know who you are!). Plus the fact that it now looks a lot better than the old PFX1 version.

    I have to say though that Zen have really done a great job on this table and have again captured the whole theme very well indeed.

    Another one I enjoy playing!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Loads more fun since the physics engine update. It doesn't roll down the sidelane any more once launched from the plunger. I think it is one of my new found favourites.

    I can usually do the morgana's castle bit twice in a row now, 2 extra balls. I could never do that before

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Excalibur is definitely my favourite table so far, although I do only have it and Earth Defence at the moment, but will get the Core Collection and the Marvel tables when I get bored, which might not be for some time to come yet since I'm still trying to complete one of the tales of the Knights of the Round Table on Excalibur and also the Invasion multi-ball achievement on Earth Defence...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Great table. Lack of local records and multiplayers holds it back though

  10. #10
    Senior Member Vincent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    558

    Default

    I love this table. And the music.

    In the new version, I find it much more difficult to complete the arena mini-games.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SansPants View Post
    My method to hit the multiball ramp is to hit the left hole (that starts joust or a tale, but with neither lit) and when it kicks it out to the upper left flipper you can shoot the multiball ramp pretty easily.

    I agree about the rule sheet. I still don't understand why Mordred's ramp has a picture of a woman underneath it.
    Thanks for the tip on hitting the multiball ramp. I'm pretty good at this table relative to the others but I rarely if ever get the multiball.

    I think the red-headed woman is supposed to be Morgana, Mordred's mother and Arthur's half-sister. You go up that ramp to enter her castle. I think the Knight pictured under her is Mordred, her son - so it kind of makes sense that those two line up on the right side for that shot up Mordred's ramp

    The woman on the left is Guenevere. Pictured under her is Arthur.

    It's all lined up very symmetrically on this table with Camelot, Round Table, Jousting, Arthur and Guinevere on the left in blue. This is all the chivalric, knightly, courtly stuff. Then on the right you have Morgana, Mordred, Morgana's castle, Grail, cauldron - all the magical stuff. Merlin's also on the right (he's a sorcerer) but notice he's in blue. Excalibur splits the middle. It's somewhere in between - a sword which is at the same time a knightly, courtly thing and also magical. One of the reasons I like this table so much is the layout.

    Here's a photo for reference - http://media.rundlc.com/editorial/2010/01/Excalibur.jpg

    Maybe I'm wrong. If I am someone please correct me.

  12. #12
    Member IzzyToxic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Turn left at the Big Chicken and go 15 miles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Thebigchicken.jpg
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Astro68 View Post
    Thanks for the tip on hitting the multiball ramp. I'm pretty good at this table relative to the others but I rarely if ever get the multiball.

    I think the red-headed woman is supposed to be Morgana, Mordred's mother and Arthur's half-sister. You go up that ramp to enter her castle. I think the Knight pictured under her is Mordred, her son - so it kind of makes sense that those two line up on the right side for that shot up Mordred's ramp

    The woman on the left is Guenevere. Pictured under her is Arthur.

    It's all lined up very symmetrically on this table with Camelot, Round Table, Jousting, Arthur and Guinevere on the left in blue. This is all the chivalric, knightly, courtly stuff. Then on the right you have Morgana, Mordred, Morgana's castle, Grail, cauldron - all the magical stuff. Merlin's also on the right (he's a sorcerer) but notice he's in blue. Excalibur splits the middle. It's somewhere in between - a sword which is at the same time a knightly, courtly thing and also magical. One of the reasons I like this table so much is the layout.

    Here's a photo for reference - http://media.rundlc.com/editorial/2010/01/Excalibur.jpg

    Maybe I'm wrong. If I am someone please correct me.
    Thanks for the info and the pic. I totally forgot about that lady in the blue hoodie thing (Modred?). I guess I was too busy looking at that hottie Guenevere.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    219

    Default

    I love how the table is tight, everything close (like Wolverine) and no matter what you do with the ball you are getting points. Also there's so much variety of things to do; even just randomly flippering the ball as it comes without aiming can activate a variety of events.

    Plus, I like the colors... ooo, the flashing colors...

  14. #14

    Default

    I've tested the Excalibur table, it seems really cool.. But just one high score saved, that has held me back from purchasing. Please Zen, I'm eagerly waiting the update

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAT View Post
    I've tested the Excalibur table, it seems really cool.. But just one high score saved, that has held me back from purchasing. Please Zen, I'm eagerly waiting the update
    Im pretty sure your high scores wont save until you buy the table, since the table has a score and time limit. Its a decent enough table, Its just not one I play that much. Its certainly worth purchasing though.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Nekro Neko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lexandro View Post
    Im pretty sure your high scores wont save until you buy the table, since the table has a score and time limit. Its a decent enough table, Its just not one I play that much. Its certainly worth purchasing though.
    You missed his point, he means the table doesn't save your local top 10.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    10

    Default

    For me, Excalibur was the one that started it all. And the only thing I pretty much did for a week straight...!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    141

    Default

    I agree this is one of the more underrated tables. Battle the beast, knights tales, fight evil wizards, save the castle, battle champions, jousting tournements, raid the evil wizard tower, brew potions, and become a legend. I mean how cool is that, its freekin PinBALL! lol

    I like the renown aspect to the table alot, and the risk reward of keeping it high. Also the missions are some of the best in PBFX as far as concept goes.

    As for the "potion ramp" Its definatly tricky but can be hit consistantly with a little practice. Its a very late hit of the top left flipper, and most of the time the ball is going to be coming down fast due to a completed shot at morgans ramp (the red one) or buncing off the bumpers below "DUB" . If its not rolling at the angle of the flipper its probly not going to happen. You need to make a late hard shot, its a timing thing, once you get it though you will rely more on the sounds of the table as cue then the actual location of the ball. Kind of hard to explaine but its alot like getting combos off the CONQUER ramps in rome, the ball is going so fast you're relying more on audio cues then visual.

    I could also recomend setting the sensitivity of the arms to max. The lighter you tap the trigger the harder the ball will fly. To do a softer shot you actually pull the trigger all the way in quickly. (although this isnt really a soft shot unless you compare it to the hard one) For that potion ramp your just barley tapping the trigger as the ball reachers the end of the flipper, like almost 1/2 way off of it.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    72

    Default

    I love Excalibur too! Played it a lot in PFX1, unfortunately it didn't run as smooth as it should there but in PFX2 it's perfected. Amazing music, very challenging, one of my favourites!

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    10

    Default

    just wanna add that before trialling excalibur, not only had i not played anything else in pbfx2.... i wasn't even into pinball. that's how much the table means to me.

  21. #21

    Default

    I <3 Excalibur; first table I bought after trialling multiple tables, and I love the theme and especially the soundtrack, plus as has been said.. its focused, clean, and flashy. Nothing there not worth some love.

  22. #22

    Default

    I have a love/hate relationship with the table. Love the concept, music and modes. I hate that I suck at hitting the ramps. I really hate that the left flipper area is covered by the catapult. Makes is very hard to time shots correctly, not to mention losing a fast ball.

    I need to invest a bit more time on it.

  23. #23

    Default

    Best music hands down. Love the theme it's my Number # 3 Table

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Almost done reading The Story of King Arthur and His Knights (Pyle). The old english is a little frustrating but you get used to it. It's actually quite intresting to see how closley related the book and the table actually are. There are a few noticable differances (Camalot = Camiliard) and some notable persons are mission (sable knight, King Leodegrance) but for the most part this table is directly based on the book. I'm not quite done with it yet but it will be intresting to see if there are any spoilers regarding the wizard mode. (sable knight..)

    Also I always thought the woman on the red side was Morgana but it very well may be Guenivere as mentioned. If so the chick in blue has to be Morgana. Also wondering why the ball save on this table isn't excalubars sheath, would have been so perfect (wearer cannot be harmed).

    Has anyone figured out what the picture of a knights helmet (light) on the left inlane stands for/does? Haven't been able to figure that out, and it's probly the last unknown on the table for me..

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    490

    Default

    I have to say this is one of my favorite tables on this game. It might be my absolute favorite, truthfully. Today was a good day. For the first time I activated the multi-ball by hitting Merlin's ramp 3 times. I can nail the skill shot on Biolab all the time, but for whatever reason, I just can't figure out a timing mechanism for the skill shot on this table. I had a couple other firsts today. I completed the Holy Grail Quest, entered Mordrid's castle through the "back door", and went 3-for-3 on the Novice Joust. Most exciting however, was that I completed Sir Kay's quest, the first one ever. I couldn't believe it when I got 20M for that sucker. I posted my top score today of 49M. Peanuts, I know...but it was exciting for me. LOL This table is just a joy to play. The sound is excellent, and there's a great variety of things to do. I love taking down the castle with the catapult. Awesome stuff.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    404

    Default

    Loving this table, finally got into it today. It is now in my top 3!

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    119

    Default

    One of my favourites too and on par with the newer tables. I love Ironman but man that table can be a grind sometimes and Excalibur is just so fast and free flowing, always scoring decent points, heaps of missions to do and it really is just a work of art as far as design goes.

    I know when I can pull everything together its going to be quite the score. I only figured out the joust the other day (I never even seen that red light and never knew what to do, even after I read explainations) and got the second for 10 mil.

    I read on here that someone didn't know what the lamp on the left inlane did. I am pretty sure when you light it and then hit the excalibur (middle) ramp, that shot raises your renown level by 2 instead of 1. There may be more to it but thats what it does as far as I can tell.

    Edit-Had a look above, it was LogicFTW who asked that question.
    Last edited by OzV1; 02-14-2011 at 08:18 AM.

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rapierdwit View Post
    Loving this table, finally got into it today. It is now in my top 3!
    Yeah, jerk. LOL You know, I USED to have the high score on all the tables amongst my Xbox Live friends list, but after adding you, I went from ALL...to THREE. Now it's just TWO.

    No longer king. No longer wizard.

    *hangs head* What a beat down.

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UranusIsBroken View Post
    Yeah, jerk. LOL You know, I USED to have the high score on all the tables amongst my Xbox Live friends list, but after adding you, I went from ALL...to THREE. Now it's just TWO.

    No longer king. No longer wizard.

    *hangs head* What a beat down.

    LOL, yeah that sucks. Add Me, Chaz, and HS, then you can deal with 1st being in the 1-3B range second in the high 450-700 MIL and chaz in the 200M on most tables . You can cry with us every time HS add's another billion and makes my few hundred million look like pittance. Welcome to my nightmare!

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UranusIsBroken View Post
    Yeah, jerk. LOL You know, I USED to have the high score on all the tables amongst my Xbox Live friends list, but after adding you, I went from ALL...to THREE. Now it's just TWO.

    No longer king. No longer wizard.

    *hangs head* What a beat down.
    I am High score on one table amongst my friend list (Spiderman). IF i want to see the crown on my head, I have to log onto my wife or kids accounts LOL. Most of the scores are somewhat beatable on my friend lists but I don't have people like Heathen and Logic on my lists...It makes me feel like I might be king again one day lol.

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    404

    Default

    Question for you guys - I started one of the knight quests (Blanking on which one), and it requires you to shoot the lit ramps. However, (correct me if I am wrong), the rest of the 'shoot this ramp for a combo' remains active?!? I am confused to which ramp I am supposed to be shooting for. I can't glance up at the UMD because all of the Knight quests is SO closely timed. Any tips or am I crazy? Wish they would Hot Seat this for Xbox Live, I could so learn if I could watch someone else blast this table! I love the flow of this table.

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rapierdwit View Post
    Question for you guys - I started one of the knight quests (Blanking on which one), and it requires you to shoot the lit ramps. However, (correct me if I am wrong), the rest of the 'shoot this ramp for a combo' remains active?!? I am confused to which ramp I am supposed to be shooting for. I can't glance up at the UMD because all of the Knight quests is SO closely timed. Any tips or am I crazy? Wish they would Hot Seat this for Xbox Live, I could so learn if I could watch someone else blast this table! I love the flow of this table.

    No, I believe the lights for Combo shot's are disabled during "TALES".

    It's probly Gaiwaine you're thinking of, and its orbit combo's, 10 of them , I believe.

  33. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1

    Thumbs up


    Really love this game too. My wife and I like playing together, but it sucks that you can not split the screen and play side by side like some of the other games. So we just sit and make a lot of , OH, Look out, you know arm chair cridic

  34. #34

    Default

    After reading all of the love this table was getting in the forums, I finally decided to add it to my collection. (My first non-PBFX2 table). Definitely an interesting table, and so far I feel like the scoring is relatively balanced, which is nice.

    After playing for a little bit, I have a few questions that maybe someone here can answer.

    1) Is there a good way to hit the E in TALE? (the one below the potion ramp) Or is there a shot that will spot you a TALE letter? I find it very hard to hit this without somewhat random luck, which is a pity because you can't progress through the tales without hitting this.

    2) Is there a reward for completing all of the tales? A wizard mode maybe? If I could hit that stupid E reliably, I'd already know the answer to this

    3) AFAIK, extra balls are awarded for completing the catapult Morgana side mission, and for defeating the knight after beating the robber knights. Any other ways of getting extra ball?

    On a side note, it is brutal not being able to save/resume (especially with a newborn in the house!). I will definitely not buy another pre-FX2 table unless this is changed.

    Thanks

  35. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    141

    Default

    The other xtra ball is random award via DUB. You spell DUB, hit the right inlane for special, light the hole.

  36. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Logic_FTW View Post
    As for the "potion ramp" ... You need to make a late hard shot, its a timing thing, once you get it though you will rely more on the sounds of the table as cue then the actual location of the ball. .
    That's how I'm doing it, too. After getting the ball in to the sinkhole from the right flipper, I almost don't even look at the upper left flipper. I just wait for the sound, and then guesstimate it.

    Managed to get multiball going on my first ball yesterday -- which meant a lot of shots on the sinkhole -- so that was nice.

    In the 4 ball multiball, what should I be hitting for max points? Is there a way increase the jackpots? Or do I just shoot for whatever ramp/orbit is flashing?

    Oh, finally got the Legend Achievement (30 cheevos, hurrah!) with the Sir Gawain Tale no less. Not the recommended way to do it! (You gotta hit 15 orbit shots before the timer reaches zero. Yeek. Talk about stressful.)

  37. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    In the 4 ball multiball, what should I be hitting for max points? Is there a way increase the jackpots? Or do I just shoot for whatever ramp/orbit is flashing?
    I'm no expert on this table, but I think you just keep hitting the flashing shots. After each "wave" of flashing shots, the jackpot increases a little bit. (maybe like 100K if I remember right)

    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Not the recommended way to do it! (You gotta hit 15 orbit shots before the timer reaches zero. Yeek. Talk about stressful.)
    Actually, this is my second favorite mission to do. I don't think you really have to hit the orbit shot 15 times. I believe it gives you more credit if you hit them in somewhat quick succession. (1 + 2 + 3 = 6 "orbits" for 3 quick shots) Could be completely wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not hitting the orbit 15 times.

    Speaking of the missions though, the one where you chase the dog is the one I find extremely difficult. If I understand it correctly, you need to configure the excalibur ramp to divert to the direction of the footsteps by hitting the captive ball, and then hit the actual ramp. If you hit the ramp when it is going the wrong way, the mission is over. Trouble is, if I aim for the captive ball, I often hit the middle ramp by mistake.

    Considering what a pain it is for me to spell LAIR, that is an especially demoralizing mission!

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    That's how I'm doing it, too. After getting the ball in to the sinkhole from the right flipper, I almost don't even look at the upper left flipper. I just wait for the sound, and then guesstimate it.

    Managed to get multiball going on my first ball yesterday -- which meant a lot of shots on the sinkhole -- so that was nice.

    In the 4 ball multiball, what should I be hitting for max points? Is there a way increase the jackpots? Or do I just shoot for whatever ramp/orbit is flashing?

    Oh, finally got the Legend Achievement (30 cheevos, hurrah!) with the Sir Gawain Tale no less. Not the recommended way to do it! (You gotta hit 15 orbit shots before the timer reaches zero. Yeek. Talk about stressful.)
    You can also shoot the balls back into the cauldren to make them glow and get additional points. Kinda like the fisher king mission. Or mabey its shoot the glowing ball into the cauldren. IDK it's been awhile.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •