Thread: PHOF Gotlieb Coming to XBLA

Default PHOF Gotlieb Coming to XBLA

Looks like the Pinball Hall of Fame: Gotlieb Colletion is coming to Xbox Live in January. So, this should partially satisfy you guys who want more realistic (as in layout, not physics) tables. The Gotlieb collection is not as good as PFX2 or PHOF Williams collection for that matter, but gives us more tables to fiddle with. Maybe if it sells well they'll release the Williams collection as well. I don't really consider it a competitor for PFX2 because PFX2 blows both PHOFs away as far a fun factor and replayability goes, but competition is never a bad thing for us consumers.

Default milifted this

Agreed. Each game has its place. PHOF has great physics and realism, but because it emulates/simulates real tables -- whose primary purpose is to suck away your money -- the games can be harsh and unforgiving.

Zen's tables are more about having fun, while modernising some aspects of pinball.

It will be interesting to see if the PHOF series will be available in all XBLA regions. Currently, you can't buy the 360 disc version in Australia. (So I had to import the region-free PS3 version. I'm looking forward to not having to use discs!).

Not so much interested in the Gottlieb tables, TBH. For the most part, I thought they were inferior to Bally/Williams tables, technically and thematically.

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    It will be interesting to see if the PHOF series will be available in all XBLA regions. Currently, you can't buy the 360 disc version in Australia. (So I had to import the region-free PS3 version. I'm looking forward to not having to use discs!).

I'm looking forward to not having to play it on the PS3! I like the authentic tables because it takes me back in time. I can hardly find a pinball to play these days. The Melbourne airport has a bunch of them, but it costs too much to park my car there :P

Quote Originally Posted by Phiveball View Post
    Looks like the Pinball Hall of Fame: Gotlieb Colletion is coming to Xbox Live in January. So, this should partially satisfy you guys who want more realistic (as in layout, not physics) tables. The Gotlieb collection is not as good as PFX2 or PHOF Williams collection for that matter, but gives us more tables to fiddle with. Maybe if it sells well they'll release the Williams collection as well. I don't really consider it a competitor for PFX2 because PFX2 blows both PHOFs away as far a fun factor and replayability goes, but competition is never a bad thing for us consumers.
    It's a shame we can't get williams collection in blighty, I've had it on pre-order for ages. I think that guy who owns the rights to all williams tables is putting a spanner in the works allthough system 3 won't comment on it. They aren't legally allowed to explain why but they released it for wii in the UK without medieval madness (which the ausie guy has full rights to reproduce since 2000 or something).

I had the gotlieb collection for wii. I didn't like it that much and keapt going back to pinball fx 1. In my humble opinion Williams were just that bit better thought out that gotlieb tables. I didn't like how you had to get a really good score at eldorado in order to progress to the later tables either.

I think the main reason that pinball fx is leaps and bounds ahead is because they don't try and recreate licensed tables, they build them so that you can see as much of the playfield as possible from the given angles and make them video pinball friendly.

I will of course purchase gotlieb for xbox live. I hope they don't directly port it from wii though.

I've already bought this title four times, but likely will again on Live. I'll be disappointed if this is just a re-release of a previous generation title with better graphics, though (the fact that there are no new tables is probably a bad sign). There are some serious bugs that need to be fixed - most importantly with the collision detection that made Black Hole pretty much unplayable and which would make high score lists meaningless (the ball could get stuck inside a bumper and repeatedly score points until nudged or tilted). If they're watching FX2, I hope they realize that the community aspects are a big draw.

The incredibly poor presentation and support for this generation's Williams collection doesn't give much hope for this title, though. Some of that is almost unexplainable, like letting you post scores on the leaderboards even if you've turned off tilt. Such excellent work on the tables, followed with almost no thought or effort in the release.

As for the tables, the main differences between the Gottlieb and Williams collections was that the former spanned their whole history and the latter concentrated on the best, with almost all from the 80's and 90's. Gottlieb's best tables were in the 70's, especially the earlier EM ones, and most of their better later tables included licensed content that probably disqualify them.

i have the wii version of gotlieb phof and would say that i much prefer the newer pfx2 tables, i would love to see the williams collection much better choice of real tables in my opinion, i will keep my fingers crossed that one day maybe stern and/or/ williams will come to pfx2

I am glad that Zen haven't gone with the "Arcade" metaphor for the UI, like PHOF does.

PHOF's UI could have been cool, but the 3D arcade environment artwork is sub-par and moving from "room" to "room" is very slow, and awkward. Then there's the loading time when you select a table. And the saving time when you complete a game, complete with another bit of loading time. (What is this? The GT5 of pinball?)

Not quite as bad as the poxy Game Room on XBLA, mind you. What. A. Debacle.

I like that Zen's table selection is quick, and easy.

KickBeaten Down

I like the Williams tables more than the Gottlieb ones, myself. Pinball fans should of course own both collections, unless by some miracle you have the original tables in your basement.

Good news. Allthough I still want a Bally Collection...

I too have imported the PS3 williams collection. I like it but the camera on the 3 added tables are bad imho. The graphics are also not that good. The old tables look much better.

I thought it was getting an updated version in Europe right? But its getting delayed every time
    Last edited by Lukky NL; 12-16-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    I like the Williams tables more than the Gottlieb ones, myself. Pinball fans should of course own both collections, unless by some miracle you have the original tables in your basement.
    Its good to see you recommending a rival product to your own i think this shows that you are a real pinball fan

I originally passed on the first FX and it was only after playing Williams collection that I got hungry for more and soon I'd downloaded all available tables on both PS3 and 360.

Quote Originally Posted by satch View Post
    Its good to see you recommending a rival product to your own i think this shows that you are a real pinball fan

I agree. As a pinball junkie and with pinball in the state it's currently in, with only 1 company making physical tables, and a handful making virtual ones, these games need all the support they can get if the genre is going to stay alive.

Default couch exchertt

So, this should partially satisfy you guys who want more realistic (as in layout, not physics) tables.
    If you think FX2 offers realistic physics, you haven't played much pinball.

The Gotlieb collection is not as good as PFX2 or PHOF Williams collection for that matter, but gives us more tables to fiddle with.
    Gottlieb.

And the table quality is subjective. Many players prefer vintage pins.

Maybe if it sells well they'll release the Williams collection as well.
    It was released a year and a half ago for the 360 and PS3.
    They took our pinball machines!
    Let's revolt, who's with me?
    Grab a pitchfork and come with Zen!

@blue - PAL territories did not get a release of WIlliams pinball. We can play it on the PS3, as that machine is region-free, but unfortunately cannot play an NTSC version on PAL 360's.

The PAL release date keeps on getting bumped, which is very frustrating for pinheads in Europe & Australia/NZ

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Sigh.

Look, any pinball is good pinball. It's not like there's a wealth of choice, either mechanically or digitally.

Given the state of pinball, I see PHOF as complementary to Zen, not competitive. i.e. the existence of one product is actually helpful to the other.

p.s. leave the pissing contest to the leaderboards. Scores will show who has played much pinball or not.

I'll pass on this collection. I prefer tables from the mid 80's onwards, you know, when they had music rather than noise and next to nothing on the table. It's why I like FX2 so much.

Also. Williams > Bally > Gotlieb

the existence of one product is actually helpful to the other.
    This.

I would not have heard of Pinball FX or the sequel had it not been for the 360 version of Williams. It was through competing and making friends through that game that I found out about the existence of FX.

Pinheads don't get much these days. Most of the video pinball offerings are fairly half-baked. ZEN is one of the very few developers of a video pinball game that I feel truly understands what makes pinball fun.

Gottlieb.

And the table quality is subjective. Many players prefer vintage pins.

It was released a year and a half ago for the 360 and PS3.
    Dude, this conversation is like it came off of the VP Forums. No video pinball is realistic, none of them. It's still got good physics and it feels solid. It's not going to stop me going down the bowling alley and plowing a few coins a week into spiderman. If I had the space I'd have a real pin probably a black knight 2000 or something similar.

Williams only got released in the states last year. We are still waiting for it in blighty. As for the gottlieb versus williams thing, look in the top 300 votes on ipdb I think you'll see more williams in there as a majority of people like ramps and complexed rulesets and the most popular tables are usually 90's ones because this is when pinball was at it's peak.

That's not to say I don't understand the attraction to gotlieb but I don't think the collection even represent gotlieb that well. IT doesn't have stargate and forces the player to play on a load of rampless tables which aren't for everyone.

Why didn't it include haunted house? Why not a load of other later tables. IT seems to be trying to give a history lesson to a load of people who may just want to shoot a ball up a ramp.

And don't get me started on eldorado (not the zen one the gottlieb one) why did I have to play that? It's like a recreation of a 70's table in the 80's that table made my eye's hurt. Why didn't they use the 75 design and spare my lovely retinas. Why did they make me complete a load of challenges in order to get to play blackhole?

I'll still buy it because I'm a sucker for pinball but I want the williams collection *sobs*

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Canuck View Post
    @blue - PAL territories did not get a release of WIlliams pinball. We can play it on the PS3, as that machine is region-free, but unfortunately cannot play an NTSC version on PAL 360's.
    I'm aware of that. You can always import the game and play it on an NTSC 360.

Sigh.

Look, any pinball is good pinball. It's not like there's a wealth of choice, either mechanically or digitally.
    I didn't say Pinball FX 2 was bad. What I said was anyone who thinks it offers realistic physics hasn't played much pinball.

Pinball FX, Pinball FX 2, and the Williams Collection all play very differently.

I've enjoyed both FX titles, but the ball physics aren't as realistic as the PHOF and Pro Pinball series.

Given the state of pinball, I see PHOF as complementary to Zen, not competitive. i.e. the existence of one product is actually helpful to the other.
    I don't believe Zen intended for FX 2 to be a pinball sim. I never suggested they were competing with FarSight.

Quote Originally Posted by IAMMRBONGO View Post
    Why didn't it include haunted house? Why not a load of other later tables.
    I suspect licensing issues. For example, Haunted House and Cue Ball Wizard were the premier tables for Pinball Arcade. Microsoft may have still owned the rights when the Gottlieb Collection was originally released in 2004.
    Last edited by blue; 12-18-2010 at 01:27 AM.

Umm, ok.

I didn't say Pinball FX 2 was bad. What I said was anyone who thinks it offers realistic physics hasn't played very much pinball.
    That's just a silly assumption, and a needlessly argumentative one at that. What you see as "realistic" is not the same as anyone else's.

I'm a pinball greybeard and I think Zen's physics are pretty good, for what it tries to do. At this point, it's not the math that needs improving, rather the specific implementations (i.e. the attributes that the table designer sets for surface collisions) and the all-important audio.

i.e. Some of the "physics" could seem a lot more "realistic" by the addition of more varied audio, particular in the area of ball-to-metal and ball-to-glass collisions. Zen's games are a little lacking in collision audio variety, randomness and "jitter". But hopefully Zen can put resources in to improving this area, like all others, over time. Given how much improvement Zen have made between, say, Speed Machine and the latest batch of tables, I think it's safe to say they are working on all aspects of the game.

Umm, ok.
    It's much cheaper than owning a single table in the collection.

Shmup fans frequently do this. It's not an outrageous idea.

That's just a silly assumption, and a needlessly argumentative one at that. What you see as "realistic" is not the same as anyone else's.
    It's fact, not assumption. By realistic, I mean the difference between an actual pinball table and its emulated counterpart. The Williams Collection did a good job reproducing the velocity and trajectory of the ball. While the video game version isn't perfect, I was able to pull off many of the same shots that I could on the real tables.

Standards are absolute, not subjective. You can have an idea of how much mass is in a kilogram, but it cannot be argued against the IPK.

Pinball FX 2 is a fun game, but it should be evident to any pinball fan how much it differs from the genuine article. One of the most fulfilling aspects of the Williams Collection is that the ball rolls differently on each table. I don't get this feeling with any of Zen's games. What FX 2 does well is fantastic table design with events that wouldn't be possible on actual pins.

I'm a pinball greybeard and I think Zen's physics are pretty good, for what it tries to do.
    I said as much above. I don't believe Zen was aiming to simulate actual pinball. The table design and ball physics are too "arcadey."

ArmA : Bad Company 2 :: PHOF : Pinball FX 2

i.e. Some of the "physics" could seem a lot more "realistic" by the addition of more varied audio, particular in the area of ball-to-metal and ball-to-glass collisions. Zen's games are a little lacking in collision audio variety, randomness and "jitter". But hopefully Zen can put resources in to improving this area, like all others, over time. Given how much improvement Zen have made between, say, Speed Machine and the latest batch of tables, I think it's safe to say they are working on all aspects of the game.
    Agreed.

I was disappointed with Pinball FX until Earth Defense and Excalibur were released. The sequel was a welcome improvement, especially in the audio department (event cues as well as multiple music tracks).

Standards are absolute, not subjective.
    1) There are no "standards".

(Even a mechanical game can vary wildly from table to table, given the condition of the coils, mylar, rubbers, ball, table pitch, ramp damage, ROM versions, and a zillion other factors.)

2) The "feel" of a pinball table is ENTIRELY subjective. It's the reason why some people think Medieval Madness is the best table ever, whereas others don't like it.

It's why some people love a Visual Pinball table over a Future Pinball table, whereas others hate both.

We are talking about entirely FICTITIOUS games. There is no physical standard to hold them against.

With PHOF, you have real-world templates to compare against. And, overall, the simulation/emulation comes across very well.

There is no such template for the Zen tables. They routinely do things that Williams didn't dream of outside of a Pinball 2000 concept sketch. What "standard" would you apply to these tables? Solid-state Williams? EM Gottlieb? Wide-body Atari Awfulness? Stern Cost-Cutting Cheapness?

Thus the only "absolutes" are in your mind. For everyone else, realism is a relative concept. And one which takes second-place to FUN. Your "absolutes" are simply your personal preferences.
    Last edited by Womble; 12-18-2010 at 02:53 AM.

1) There are no "standards".
    Nonsense.

2) The "feel" of a pinball table is ENTIRELY subjective. It's the reason why some people think Medieval Madness is the best table ever, whereas others don't like it.
    That's a matter of taste, which is irrelevant to the argument at hand (physics of pinball simulation).

We are talking about entirely FICTITIOUS games. There is no physical standard to hold them against.
    Obviously we are comparing the physics of Pinball FX 2 to how the ball rolls on actual tables. It's never that fast and predictable in reality.

There is a clear progression of accurate ball physics in video pinball...

Pinball FX = poor
    Pinball FX 2 = good
    PHOF = better
    Pro Pinball = best
    actual pinball = standard

There is no such template for the Zen tables. They routinely do things that Williams didn't dream of outside of a Pinball 2000 concept sketch. What "standard" would you apply to these tables? Solid-state Williams? EM Gottlieb? Wide-body Atari Awfulness? Stern Cost-Cutting Cheapness?
    Please stop attempting to shift the focus of the argument into a subjective one regarding design quality. If you are under the delusion that there's little difference between the physics in Pinball FX 2 and a real pinball table, you must not be very sensitive.
    Last edited by blue; 12-18-2010 at 03:17 AM.

If you are under the delusion that there's little difference between the physics in Pinball FX 2 and a real pinball table, you must not be very sensitive.
    Hmm, deluded and insensitive. At least you didn't bother claiming I haven't "played much pinball"...

Grow up. Nobody here needs your misguided assumptions about their pinball experience. Nor do they need your personal opinions and tastes being passed off as facts and "absolutes".

We're here to have fun and talk about Zen's pinball. There are plenty of other sites for pissing contests.

This guy obviously came looking for a fight, and he is getting exactly what he wants. i recommend just ignoring his posts unless you like this kind of nonsense. In that case, carry on

Pro Pinball really isnt the best pinballgame anymore imo.

do you have a source?

Quote Originally Posted by rfoldschool View Post
    do you have a source?
    http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=653035

Sadly, the same Facebook page doesn't have good news for the Williams product. At least not for outside the US.

Looks like any possible Williams PHoF XBLA release is going to be just as murky, rights-wise, as the disc version.

*falls on floor drooling and making mmnnnnnngggggg sound*

Just a quick bump to this post. It hasn't arrived. I've sent an email to crave entertainment and have been waiting since Wednesday morning for a reply.

I'm a bit skeptical about this as the only source of this rumor was the face-book group unless anyone knows anything more.

I was certain Larry had mentioned this on his blog during the past month in one of his Coming soon to the Xbox LIVE Marketplace posts. Reading about the rerelease struck me out of the blue.

A site search yielded no hits, although I did find at least one user comment mentioning The Gottlieb Collection in Google's cache. However, this comment no longer exists when visiting the corresponding post on MajorNelson.com. Typical Microsoft.

I doubt Crave would have announced the HD port if it hadn't been approved by Ken Lobb at Studio RX. This couldn't have been a rumor; getting a game on the Marketplace is complicated and lengthy process.

Maybe there is a licensing issue with one of the tables?

If Crave doesn't respond to your email, try contacting FarSight at (909) 866-0501.

I was certain Larry had mentioned this on his blog during the past month in one of his Coming soon to the Xbox LIVE Marketplace posts. Reading about the rerelease struck me out of the blue.

A site search yielded no hits, although I did find at least one user comment mentioning The Gottlieb Collection in Google's cache. However, this comment no longer exists when visiting the corresponding post on MajorNelson.com. Typical Microsoft.

I doubt Crave would have announced the HD port if it hadn't been approved by Ken Lobb at Studio RX. This couldn't have been a rumor; getting a game on the Marketplace is complicated and lengthy process.

Maybe there is a licensing issue with one of the tables?

If Crave doesn't respond to your email, try contacting FarSight at (909) 866-0501.
    Dunno dude. I looked on all the xbox release forums and it's never gotten a mention. The guys who monitor wiki have usually got an enormous list on wiki for every single xbla release present and future and it's not there.

They said january was the release date and I know that means noubt but you'd think it would appear on an official list and with the release of williams in europe delayed I don't see why they'd put out the lesser title.

The rumour started on the facebook group for william pinball hall of fame and I wonder if crave have just forgotten about the site and some guy has taken control. You can easily steal a facebook group if you are that way inclined.

On a different note. I bought a PS3 to play zen pinball on the other day with a broken blu-ray. God damned thing won't play games. I think the PS3 must check to see if it has a blu-ray installed and decide whether to let you play based on what it finds.

I'm trying to work out if it's worth replacing the blu-ray drive but I get the feeling that the checksum on the motherboard has to match the damned drive controller which I think has been removed. What's even worse is that you need a bloody sony screwdriver to take the thing to bits.

I was thinking of fixing the thing so I could play PHOF but I think I've just bought a hunk of junk.

They said january was the release date and I know that means noubt but you'd think it would appear on an official list and with the release of williams in europe delayed I don't see why they'd put out the lesser title.
    I agree, though I was under the impression the EU release of The Williams Collection had been delayed due the rights for Medieval Madness. Wasn't the "Mr. Pinball Australia" guy (Wayne Gillard?) going to release a limited run? I heard he ended up being bought out by Planetary Pinball, who now own the licenses for Williams Electronics Games.

The rumour started on the facebook group for william pinball hall of fame and I wonder if crave have just forgotten about the site and some guy has taken control. You can easily steal a facebook group if you are that way inclined.
    Thanks for the perspective. I've never used Facebook.

I hope you're able to resolve the problems with you PS3 in order to finally enjoy PHoF. It's worth the wait.

I agree, though I was under the impression the EU release of The Williams Collection had been delayed due the rights for Medieval Madness. Wasn't the "Mr. Pinball Australia" guy (Wayne Gillard?) going to release a limited run? I heard he ended up being bought out by Planetary Pinball, who now own the licenses for Williams Electronics Games.

Thanks for the perspective. I've never used Facebook.

I hope you're able to resolve the problems with you PS3 in order to finally enjoy PHoF. It's worth the wait.
    As far as williams goes. I thought that this is the most likely cause as system 3 refuse to comment for political or legal reasons. I've said that the medieval madness table is the most probable cause as the wii version is available in europe. Though it's mostly been me jumping to this conclusion.

I am just a mungo off of the internet so I really shouldn't be taken as gospel another theory is that maybe crave want to eliminate system 3 from distribution as they feel that XBLA is the best way to distribute a game like this. I am kind of inclined to agree after the massive success of fx2 and let's face it the cost of physical distribution is probably higher.

Maybe they've held off and are releasing gottlieb to test the water. I can only guess. They said politics was causing a problem. And they couldn't say anything for legal reasons when I emailed.

Both theories are good. But I just don't know

At least they responded to your email; someone is listening.

I hope it eventually gets a release, but I'm still bummed. I was looking forward to playing the Gottlieb tables in HD after the Biolab tournament. :/

At least they responded to your email; someone is listening.

I hope it eventually gets a release, but I'm still bummed. I was looking forward to playing the Gottlieb tables in HD after the Biolab tournament. :/
    Incase you were interested I contacted crave entertainment on wednesday and they haven't said a bloody word about gottlieb

So you didn't get a response?

Or you did but nothing was said about Gottlieb?

They said politics was causing a problem. And they couldn't say anything for legal reasons when I emailed.
    They = Crave?

So you didn't get a response?

Or you did but nothing was said about Gottlieb?

They = Crave?
    Yep contacted crave via email about gottlieb and they still haven't responded

looks like this is never gonna happen.....lol

PHoF: The Gottlieb Collection has been given a rating on the ESRB's website for both the PS3 and 360.

Trouble Witches Neo will be released next week; give it a few months.

PHoF: The Gottlieb Collection has been given a rating on the ESRB's website for both the PS3 and 360.

Trouble Witches Neo will be released next week; give it a few months.
    i guess i should have quoted the just coming in january part.......lol

Wii owners can get this in Australia as a budget title "Gottlieb Pinball Classics", for $15 at KMart.

I think i have given up on seeing williams in the UK and to be honest i think ZEN have set the bar very high now for quality and value. A williams phof on CD would cost at least £25 (on launch)thats probably more than a years worth of new FX2 tables

Last edited by X DrLobo; 05-27-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by X DrLobo View Post
    June? I thought it came out this month... ?

Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar

Ive been waiting for Williams Pinball Classics to be released over here in the UK but it constantly keeps getting pushed back.

Then I heard about Gotlieb Collection coming to XBLA in Jan but then that didn't show up... whats going on at Crave?

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

Quote Originally Posted by X DrLobo View Post
    Its not showing up on amazon UK yet so i shan't hold my breath

It's interesting that there's an Amazon page for Williams Pinball Classics now, but yeah, don't hold your breath.

Back in Aug last year, System 3 said:

System 3 Software has held back the launch of its eagerly awaited new pinball game, preferring instead to invest the extra time in improving the game yet further and bringing it to PS3 and Xbox 360 as well as Wii and PSP!
    Improvements Over The NTSC Release
    - Redesigned, intelligent camera system that puts you exactly where you need to be.
    - Improved, streamlined gameplay.
    - Table details are now fully modelled as opposed to flat.
    BTW, the original Williams Pinball Hall of Fame title, at least on the PS3, has a unused table file "BRIDE". It's smaller than the other files. Presumably a WIP version of Bride of Pinbot.
    Last edited by Womble; 05-28-2011 at 01:19 AM.

me and a friend of mine have been looking constantly for update regarding the PAL release of Williams Classics. It looks like it will be released soon. That being said, I fired up the PS3 version of Williams, and the moon gravity physics are terrible - we are really spoilt with FX2

Little update for you unbelievers

The game is also listed on 'micromania' a french video game franchise and website.

Also , if you're from uk , you can still use your amazon.co.uk to order from france and apart the instruction booklet and rear box art, i guess you'll have the game in english !