Thread: The Complete guide to ROME

Default The Complete guide to ROME

All I ask for the effort is feed back. Did the guide help? Anything else needed? Would you like another? Thank you

ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ROME:
    A Guide To ROME - PBFX 2
    So ROME is really fun table once you get used to it. It can be daunting at first but hopefully after this guide, you will be leading the empire to greatness it ways never before imagined.

A few thoughts on ROME:
    This is not an uber-scoring table, meaning you're not going to rack up 10's of millions quickly. You have to work for the high score, and many of the challenges are quite difficult (much like building an empire) . It's a pretty unforgiving table, many of the larger scoring opportunities are only avaliable per ball, meaning you lose a ball, and alot of hard work is wiped. Also the ball save IMO is one of the hardest to get consistantly. Fortunatly the kick backs are some of the easiest. Another point to mention is the ramp drain, only make it half way up one of the CONQUER ramps and the ball is almost assuredly going to drain. I've tried to work a way around it, but given the speed its coming back, nudging just wont work. Unlike the Janus Hole (middle of table) which you can normally drop stop, miss a CONQUER ramp and it's bye bye ball. For this reason I recomend only going for the ramps from a stopped ball, there are a few exceptions, but as a rule of thumb it will get you far.

So a few terms for the table:

Janus hole: The head in the middle of the table, has extra ball light and garrison light, used to start missions, skill shots, extra balls, start a mini game, increase jack pot, set up ramp shots. Its in the "center" for a reason, most of the table revolves around it, much like ancient Rome revolved around the Gods. Respect the Janus hole centurian Janus was the Roman god of doors and gates..

Garrison: Although the missions are also called "garrisons" for the purpose of this guide, missions will be called "Missions". The garrison is between the janus whole and the ROMULUS hole. There is a solder on top of it along with 2 solid lights at its entrance.

Scale of Justice: Located behind the Garrson, more on what its for later.

ROMULUS Hole: Furthest Hole to the left, theres letters there, they spell ROMULUS. Romulus was the first roman king. He and his brother Remus where abandoned by their parents and suckeled by wolves in the wild. This made for some hardcore dudes, and a worthy ruler of rome.
    Bumper Orbit: This is the far left orbit, if completed the ball with hit a small target, fall through the Vini Vidi Vici slots, into the bumpers.

CONQUER RAMPS: The 2 main ramps, we'll get more into their uses later, for now just know where they are.
    Captive ball: To the right of the right CONQUER ramp is a captive ball with 3 targets behind it.

Galley orbit: The right orbit, its mostly used to line up a shot with the top flipper. The galley is the boat.
    Jupiter Orbit: The middle orbit accsessed by the top left flipper (there is no top right one)

EMPIRE Targets: Located to the far left and right of the flippers.

VINI VIDI VICI _"We Came We Saw We conquered" Was written on roman money. (Notice the bumbers below are coins. Located at the top center of the table. The torches above show which words are lit, the torches can be changed with the flippers.

Hand Of Jupiter: Located on top of the right CONQUER Ramp. Must be unlocked with 2 consecutive Jupiter Orbit shots.

SCUTUM Letters - not located on the board, but are activated by 4 or more consecutive bumper hits. The dot matrix keeps track of them. A Scutum was a roman astrological device.

ARMA - located in the in and out lanes, letters can be changed with flippers, just like Vini Vidi Vici. Arma roughly translates to "weapon".

Justia wheel - Located at the top most left of the board, can only be accsessed by the Justice mini game, its also the most brutal mini game in PBFX2. Remember in Rome "Justice is swift and unmercifull"
    I think this is it as far as "whats on the table".

Ok so now onto the main cource. I've considered alot of ways to do this, I believe the most helpfull is going to be a referential type guide, much like the explination of terms above. So look for the title and an explination will follow.

SKILL SHOT: Launch ball at max speed, janus hole will rote left, knock ball into janus hole from top left flipper. Bonus varies. Up to 1 mil.
    Lets start off with the essentials. IMO there are 3 key things that are a must know when approching a PBFX2 table.

1) How do I get a Kick back Lit: This is super important, if a ball heads down the left outlane theres nothing you can do, if it heads down the right you can try a deathsave but this is far from 100% assured. For that reason I consider kickbacks the most important thing to know.
    In ROME the kick backs are activated with the ARMA letters. Light all once for the left, and all twice for the right. The torch behind the kickback will be lit when active. It's not timed, one of the few forgiving elements of this table. Captive ball hits can give a nice bounce into the left inlane.

2) How do I activate the Ball Saver. Again this is important to know how to do, as its best to have a saftey net before attempting difficult shots, or shots that can lead to a drain. The ball save is activated for 45 seconds, to get it you must light all the SCUTUM letters, this is done by 4 consecutive bumper hits per letter. Basicly shoot the left orbit alot, as a bonus you should rack up some Vini Vidi Vici's.

3) How do I get an extra ball: Again this is huge, if you want to score big you're going to need as many balls as possible. ROME is a little weird on this one. There are methods to activate the free ball light (below the Janus Hole) But they dont always work. Though they always work the first time. This leads me to believe it's eaither timed, or its a 1 time thing, (after you get the free ball via one method thats it) Any additional info would be appreciated.

EDIT:

The first and eaisest way to get a free bal is via the "Mock Warfare" mini game (see "Mock Warfare") During the stage where you shoot the ball into the ship (red light) Random bonus' will be listed on the DMD. They range from different score amounts to ball saver and score multiplier. One of them is a free ball. Given you only have 5 seconds to launch the ball, gaining a free ball this way is a bit random. I dont reccomend waiting for it as you may lose the mini game and have to go through hitting the captive ball all over again.

The second way is via 6 shot combo. After hitting an orbit or ramp there is a timer for a few seconds, (shown with a blue light for conquer ramps and flashing lights for orbits) By hitting the ramps and outer orbits you will gain combos, accomponied by a female voice telling you how awsum you are. After 6 shots, (the max combo) The free ball hole will light.
    Ok so thats the 3 main objectives, moving on.

How Do I Activate the Score Multiplier: The next most important thing to know on any given table is the multiplier. This one is rather easy for ROME, accomplshed by lighting all three words vini vidi vici. (see up top) This multiplier like most in PBFX 2 does not multiply your entire score, only target shots. Its still worth it though as at 6x or higher all those little target shots start really adding up, if you really want to see how this affects your score, go into opperater mode and turn on the detailed scoring, this shows the bonus being applied.

The is another small multiplier that as far as I know acts as a blanket 2x except for missions and minigames. Its the Hand Of Jupiter, Hit the Jupiter orbit 2x , then quickly (while the blue light below the right CONQUER ramp is on) hit the right CONQUER ramp. This will give you the hand of Jupiter bonus (Jupiter was the king of the gods, in greek he was Zeus)

The Scale of Justice: An easy way to get this bonus is with the garrison hole, or more specificly, the Scale of justice. By landing the ball in the garrison hole, your ball will activate the scale of justice, this does 2 things , 1) it drops the ball through the "Vini" slot of the vini vidi vici slots. 2) It brings across a bridge for the left CONQUER ramp. Ok so this bridge, it also does 2 things. 1) It allows a left CONQUER ramp shot drop the ball right on the upper left flipper (to line up a jupiter ramp shot) 2) After making this shot the Janus head will rotate to the left. You have one chance to make it in his mouth. Its a brutal shot (same as the skill shot) but it makes for good practice on another mini game well get into later. What happens when you get it in? Sorry you're gona have to find out for yourself. Considering all it takes to activate is a garrison shot and a ramp shot, it's definaltly worth it. Alot of times if you miss you'll end up making the Jupiter orbit anyway, which isnt a bad thing in itself. All I can reccomend for this is a hard shot. Lightly tap the flipper while ball is about dead center. Light shots (pulling the flipper all the way down quickly) don't fare well on this top flipper.
    Ok so thats the multipliers, and the justice mini game practice shot, as well as the the use of the justice scale. Onto the missions and Minigames.
    Last edited by Logic_FTW; 01-31-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Default Hoalvans urges

MINI GAMES:
    JANUS SAYS: Ok I made this name up as a play on simon says. It dosent have a name. If you hit the janus hole while no lights under it are lit, it will fire the ball back at you, and start a countdown from 900K points. You hear janus say HIT THE RAMP! . The goal is to hit the left ramp, right ramp, then left orbit. The faster you do it the more points. With practice this is any easy 600K +. As Janus fires the ball out do a drop stop with the right flipper then immediatly hard shot up the left orbit (its like the trajectory was made for this) as the ball rolls down the left in lane soft shot the right ramp, then from the right flipper, as the ball is lined up with the end of the arm, hard shot the left orbit. Once you get it down it takes about 6 seconds, easy as 1-2-3.

COMBOS: Although this isnt a mini game per say its worth a mention, because by getting combos you can light the extra ball light. After about 3 shots the ball will be going pretty fast, for me I rely more on sound than the visual cue's, while alternating up the left and right conquer ramps just get a feel for the timing of it and the regular sounds of the machine. Don't rely on vision, rely on timing and you will get it.
    Justice Shot: See above (The Scale of Justice)

Mock Warfare: First hit the captive ball a total of 4 times. Its a late hit off the left arm. Not too late though. After this is done you will hear the General yell The Onager is Lit (an onager is like a catupult, genuine to the period) Then go up the right CONQUER ramp and into the leftmost play area. Here you are presented with 2 options, select the first Mock Warfare. Then you will notice to flashing lights, one will be red one will be yellow, the object it to launch the ball while the light is red. After you get used to this mini game try to get it as fast as possible to light the free ball light. 2 shots will complete the first part of the minigame. From here the "lock is lit" All you need to do it hit the captive ball once, then the right ramp to lock a ball. 3 locked balls start the 3 ball multiball called the Neptune Multiball (Neptune was the God of the sea, Im guessing because you achive this mode by sinking a ship , neptune rewards you.) The goal of this multi ball is pretty simple, Hit janus to increase the jackpot. Hit The romulus hole to get the jackot, POTENTAIL HUGE POINTS in the 10's of millions. You can also get 0 points, welcome to ROME. The gods do not smile upon you.

JUSTICE:If you select the second option "Justice" after getting the ball in the left playfield (see above: Mock Warfare) get ready for the most frustratingly difficult mini game in PBFX2, welcome to ROME again. There are 4 colors of spinning targets at the end of the left playfield. Hitting a color coresponds to the shot you will have to make. All ending in a skill shot. Follow the flashing ramps, hit the left alligned janus whole, all in about 5 seconds, and you get justias gift, 1 mil points. However this is not the true bonus of the game, the rue bonus comes after completing all 4 shots. After each shot made a numbered door on the dot matrix will open, after all doors are opened you will gain justias favor and...... good luck finding out, I've done it once, on easy mode, its cool but given how difficult it is unless you get that skill shot down pat just skip this one. Its a nightmare.

ROMULUS MULTIBALL: This is a 2 ball multiball and pretty straight forward, just light up all the ROMULUS letters by hitting the romulus hole, then hit the janus hole. The goal here is to hit the captive ball (the same one that starts the other 2 minigames) and rotate janus' head, then get the ball in the janus hole. The faster you do it the more points you get. EDIT: This game is on a timer, the more time you have left the more points you get. Try to rotate the head and get the ball in as quickly as possible. The countdown starts at 100M.

GARRISONS: I'm not going to go into detail on each garrison, the dot matrix displays the rules and you get time to read before the game starts. Just light the letters to CONQUER, then get it in, you guessed it, Janus' head., select a garison with the flippers, for fast points (like for multiplayer) go for southern and aim for the garrison hole, its worth 1 mil a pop.

WIZARD MODE: Complete all the garrison missions from the conquer ramps and lead the roman army across the italian peninsula. Defeat the barbarians to unite the roman empire and lead the republic to greatness, your name will live on forever! As with all wizard modes this is a 5 ball multiball with crazy scoring opportunities. Thats all I'm gona say, follow the dot matrix, no spoilers here, I've probly already said too much.

Ok so thats the missions and minigames, finnaly heres some other tidbits about ROME.

Empire level: When you complete the words empire (targets to far left and right) You get an empire level. It's marked by a light on the centurain in the middle of the tables helmet. If you lose a ball you have to start over, it's insanly brutal and I've yet to get all all 5 levels. What they give is an end of ball bonus. 250K, 500K, 1M, 2M and mabey 5 mil for all 5. I really dont know, as far as any other bonus' for getting all five I just dont know. I kind of doubt it based on the renown levels on excalubar. (theres no mission or anything for maxing out) . Ive heard other speculate they get more points on the missions the higher the EMPIRE lvl is, but again it's speculation. There are so many factors that go into your score on the missions its almost impossible to tell what is giving what score.
    In the operaters menu try setting the arm sensitivity to maxium. This allows for harder shots and more ease getting up the conquer ramps and hitting the janus hole when rotated left.

So there it is, the guide to ROME for PBFX2. If I missed anything or you would like somthing added please let me know, I'll be more then happy to update this. For now I feel I've covered everything but I may have overlooked somthing, so again just ask and ye shall recieve.
    Last edited by Logic_FTW; 01-31-2011 at 04:02 PM.

Great stuff Logic_FTW !!!! I really appreciate the effort you put into this and hope you do as many guides as you are up to for the other tables as you really laid things out very nicely and logically. For the first time I now understand certain things that even though I knew how to activate, I did not really understand "why" and the mechanics behind it e.g. SCUTUM or the bridge up the left conquer ramp. It really helps as I am now able to logically plan things. I also appreciate that you first explained all the targets and loops etc. as it will be easier to pursue now that I know what it is.

One small point (nothing to do with the great content) - you made a few spelling mistakes e.g. whole instead of hole.
    Last edited by Cloda; 12-23-2010 at 07:44 AM.

Excellent work. Thanks!

Turn left at the Big Chicken and go 15 miles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Thebigchicken.jpg

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info, Logic_FTW. I always wondered what would happen if I ever finished sinking that bloody ship. The other details such as skill shot are good to know. I have been shooting for the center lanes when launching the ball thinking that the skill shot trigger was in one of those lanes. Now I know why I haven't ever made one.

Awesome stuff Logic!! Thank you for taking the time. I love the detailed explanations, the historical Roman info, and the general discussion on kickbacks, extra balls, etc. This will be a big help.

One request, any way you could post this as a PDF or something for easy download & printing?

On another note and to show my immaturity, why do I always giggle when I read "pop the ball in the Janus hole"????

Thanks for the feedback guys. Glad I could help.

TBH I thought about commenting on "putting it in the Janus hole" but in an effort to keep the guide "G" rated I decided not to. I had some choice words for Justia too (the female voice of the table I believe) again, I stayed on the side of caution. I'm glad you appreciated the Roman mythos. Obviosly the guys at Zen put some thought into this table and I wanted to highlight the cool historical accuracies.

I'm currently working on another guide for Bio Lab. I'm not 100% on this table but I've I held the high score (with my group of about 30 PBFX2 friends) for over a month now at 340M. (I got the wizard mode). I'd like to be 100% before I actually post it though. The table seems backwards to me as the "rare stuff" missions, side games, ect is pretty easy and rather intuitive to figure out, while the simple stuff eludes me (free ball and ball save). If anyone knows eaither of those please let me know, I'm curently playing 10 ball easy mode trying to figure it out. I believe thats all I'm missing on the table, but for me those two items are essential for a guide.

I'm trying to keep the guide themed as well, with in game explinations, heres an excerpt so far, possibly some helpfull info intill I finish it.

From my BioLab Guide,Part 2 Fun Stuff to do:

Does that creature in the middle annoy you? Well not only can you pull an additional 500K points by making him a pure blood (matching the colors to his three body parts) but you can also earn extra points from shocking him to kingdom come. By hitting the bumpers you can send waves of electricity through his helpless little body! Not only is this extremely satisfying, but it increases the amount of points you can earn in the "Creature Upgrade" missions. For quick points (for multiplayer) Send the ball around grungers orbit into the bumpers a few times, then activate the "brian upgrade". By following the steps mentioned above to get the ball quickly through the maze, you can rack up 8 or 9M points very quickly and be the envy of all your friends! Watch that triangle fly!

Also I notice alot of people don't play this table and it's unfortunate, I really believe it's because they don't realize what BioLab has to offer. Alot of the coolest parts of the table are obscure, and hidden. (like the mutations which IMO really make the game) It has one of the most fun wizzard modes, and the most unique mini-games. The mutation mechanic is so addicitive and keeps every game you play fresh. I hope the guide, when posted, will turn more people on to this really fun and unique table.

So yeah, just working on the ball save and free ball, if you know it please post or PM so I can save some time Thanks

Default IIS; stster

Good news! Found both the ball save and extra ball today for biolab! There are actually 2 ways to light the ball saver, both are pretty tough. The extra ball is nothing short of brutal. Its a 5 step process!! Its also no wonder why I couldent find it by looking at the table, you'll see why in the guide.

So thats the good news.
    Now for the bad.

BioLab is in incredibly busy table. I never really noticed how much there is untill I started documenting it. Its has to be at least double ROME in mini games and nuancess. I'm still not sure if I'm 100%, that twister thing confuses me still, I can't figure out it ultimate purpose. Just an update, if you have any pressing questions about BL in the meantime go ahead and ask Ill answer them for you.

I know I mentioned a file for downloading earlier, and thought I would try to help out with it, since you've already done all the hard work.

Below is a link to a PDF of your guide. . . .I've cleaned up the spelling and added formatting and a few screen shots for flair, see what you think. If you have any changes just let me know.

Thanks again!

Updated link to PDF guide
    Last edited by nebhusker; 12-29-2010 at 05:01 AM.

Wow! That is killer man, I love it!! I don't know how to do that stuff, I'm on an HP mini and I only have Adobe reader. If it's not to much work I'd appreciate you fixing any and all of the guides I post. Really, thank you that rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by nebhusker View Post
    I know I mentioned a file for downloading earlier, and thought I would try to help out with it, since you've already done all the hard work.

Below is a link to a PDF of your guide. . . .I've cleaned up the spelling and added formatting and a few screen shots for flair, see what you think. If you have any changes just let me know.

Thanks again!

http://www.mediafire.com/?a2s97e2c42w8w3x

Well done nebhusker for emerging as Logic_FTW's editor and publisher for his guides!!! You guys are definitely giving me the Christmas present I sorely wanted (only thing that will top it is more tables from ZEN!!!!). My wife is already convinced that Pinball FX2 has brought about a permanent change in me.... don't know yet if she think its for the better (don't worry, I'll convince her that its the best thing ever for you other married/in relationship people ). Anyways the guide is going to take me further down the full blown junky road!!!!!

Just some thoughts on the pdf guide: - I suggest you add something like: Guide by Logic_FTW. Layout and Editing by Nebhusker. Also think of adding your email for people to give input and add to the guide and then also a version number and date to reflect when changes to the guide was made. You know that there are many unscrupulous people that will very easily take it as their own work and this guide is going to be posted everywhere!!!

This request is going to take a lot of time, but I suggest you add appropriate screen images, especially at the description of each element of the table, showing clearly what is being discussed. If you are up to it, I would be very grateful. I would also not mind if the resulting file ends up being bigger so that the images is clearer.

Again guys... thanks a lot. You are definitely embracing the the Xmas vibe.
    Last edited by Cloda; 12-24-2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes yet again!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Logic_FTW View Post
    All I ask for the effort is feed back.
    Complete?

It's poorly organized, you're missing several things, there are too many extraneous comments, and some of the information is wrong.

I'm not going to go into detail on each garrison, the dot matrix displays the rules and you get time to read before the game starts.
    Huh?!

The garrisons are what a guide to Rome should be based around...

As with all wizard modes this is a 5 ball multiball with crazy scoring opportunities.
    None of the core tables offer a five ball wizard mode.

Thats all I'm gona say, follow the dot matrix, no spoilers here, I've probly already said too much.
    What you've said isn't correct and leads me to believe you haven't completed all the garrisons in a single game. Rome's wizard mode has a name, and it's unlike the objective based modes in the other tables.

Did the guide help? Anything else needed? Would you like another?
    No. Yes. No.
    They took our pinball machines!
    Let's revolt, who's with me?
    Grab a pitchfork and come with Zen!

About the Romulus multiball jackpot, when you say "at most it's a few millions", that's wrong. The countdown starts at more than 100 millions, and I managed to get 92 millions. That's not "a few millions" (and you said "at most").
    Last edited by Vincent; 12-24-2010 at 06:01 PM.

The 5 is a type-o, supposed to be a 3. Sooo-ry geeze. As far as the Romulus thing, thats pretty amazing you where able to get in the 90's, From what I remebered I thought the countdown started at 10m? I'll have to look at it again...

And the garisons are totaly self explinatory, the Dot matrix tells you what you need to do. This is meant to be an explination of everything on the table, not a hand hold on every shot.

The 5 is a type-o, supposed to be a 3. Sooo-ry geeze.
    I don't believe you. The five key isn't next to the three key, the wizard modes differ greatly, and it sounds like you haven't made it to Rome's wizard mode.

As far as the Romulus thing, thats pretty amazing you where able to get in the 90's, From what I remebered I thought the countdown started at 10m? I'll have to look at it again...
    One of the achievements is to complete Romulus multiball with at least 50 million remaining.

And the garisons are totaly self explinatory, the Dot matrix tells you what you need to do.
    The g-a-r-r-i-s-o-n-s aren't t-o-t-a-l-l-y self-e-x-p-l-a-n-a-t-o-r-y.

Some of them require action a few seconds after they begin. It's easy for a player to fail a garrison mission because he has no idea what to do.

This is meant to be an explination of everything on the table, not a hand hold on every shot.
    That sentence contradicts itself. Either you're being lazy, or you haven't completed all the garrisons.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    I don't believe you. The five key isn't next to the three key, the wizard modes differ greatly, and it sounds like you haven't made it to Rome's wizard mode.

One of the achievements is to complete Romulus multiball with at least 50 million remaining.

The g-a-r-r-i-s-o-n-s aren't t-o-t-a-l-l-y self-e-x-p-l-a-n-a-t-o-r-y.

Some of them require action a few seconds after they begin. It's easy for a player to fail a garrison mission because he has no idea what to do.

That sentence contradicts itself. Either you're being lazy, or you haven't completed all the garrisons.
    How's that for Christmas Spirit!!!! Jeez Blue.... Hopefully your next year starts better because it seems like something got up your nose deep and got stuck there firmly!!!! Your assumptions that Logic_FTW is lazy, cheating.... and what ever else you conjured up is just plain absurd and so very rude.

I am so very grateful for the guide and using it over the last couple of hours has made playing the table so much better and clearer for me. I managed to get to wizard mode (playing on easy with 10 balls) very easily (on my 3'd ball) and got some nice points for that. The bulk of the guide is very accurate and very logical in it's layout and could only have been written by somebody that have spent hours playing and figuring out the table!!!

I like the extra info (history background etc.). If you can't follow the Garrison mission explanations on the DMD you have serious problems because it is very self explanatory e.g. hit the lit ramps, avoid the holes. How much more would you like it to be explained.

So please.... you have a few choices:

- Avoid looking at any posts by Logic_FTW.
    - Add constructively to his guide (e.g. nicely point out mistakes/missing information and add to it).
    - Do your own guide that will take you a couple of hours to type out and correct. That is if you have completed everything on the table.... Am I right in assuming you have?

I don't know you from a bar of soap, but you really ticked me off and made me felt supper ashamed for your part. Logic_FTW, just ignore this guy, don't even respond to his comments and please carry on with your great guides. I for one, and I know many other people, are really appreciating it. In my following post I have some questions and some feedback for you.
    Last edited by Cloda; 12-25-2010 at 07:15 AM.

Following your guide Logic_FTW I managed to complete a huge amount of what is possible on the table and it felt so great to actually know what I was doing and then working towards a goal!!!! I have some questions and comments for you on the guide and the game-play:

- With regard to the Janus hole, do you have any idea what or who the two sides of the head (male/female) is suppose to represent?

- I am not getting the "scale of justice" thing. I have completed it a couple of times and even managed to do it twice in a row and all that seems to happen is that you get points (and not even a lot). You are pointing out that something will happen if you complete it. Am I missing something?

- I have not been able to light the extra ball with the Mock Warfare (doing it as fast as I can). Is there something more to it?

Thanks, looking forward to your response!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cloda View Post
    How's that for Christmas Spirit!!!! ... Your assumptions that Logic_FTW is cheating
    I don't celebrate Christmas.

I never claimed he was cheating. His bogus comments led me to believe he'd yet to activate Rome's wizard mode.

If you can't follow the Garrison mission explanations on the DMD you have serious problems because it is very self explanatory
    By that logic, so is much of the information found in his guides (i.e. each table's rule sheet).

Parts of the garrison missions are not explained in the dot matrix display, like alternate methods of completion and bonuses.

So please.... you have a few choices:

Avoid looking at any posts by Logic_FTW.
    I can respond to whomever I please. It's Logic's responsibility to ignore my posts if he doesn't care for my feedback.

Add constructively to his guide (e.g. nicely point out in-corrections and add to it).
    I made suggestions and pointed out corrections. I don't care for sloppiness, bias, and atrocious grammar/spelling, so I see no reason to be nice. I was honest, not mean.

Do your own guide that will take you a couple of hours to type out and correct.
    Working on it.

With regard to the Janus hole, do you have any idea what or who the two sides of the head (male/female) is suppose to represent?
    The Romans stole their gods from the Greeks (Hecate) and the Etruscans (Ani, who was often depicted with two faces), so there's no definite answer to this question. Here's what I remember from studying antiquity:

While Logic is correct about Janus being the god of "doors and gates," the Romans mostly considered him to be the god of beginnings and endings (hence January), especially in relation to human life (fecundity). One head looked backward to the past year, the other forward to the current year. Janus was rewarded with the ability to see into the future and past after he was hospitable to Saturn in disguised form.

Janus is very closely associated with Jupiter, as is Diana with Juno. It's possible that the two faces represent the pair of deities. It's likely that Janus is simply a corrupted form of Dianus (Jana being Diana--they're all derived from the same root meaning bright). The two heads may have represented the male/female forms of Dianus & Diana (who some scholars equate to Jupiter & Juno, Zeus & Dione, Janus & Jana, etc.).

It's also likely the Romans were heavily influenced by Ani, who the Etruscans used to protect the entrances to cities and gates (two heads that looked both ways). This is why Janus is occasionally depicted with a key for opening gates and a rod for expelling intruders.
    Last edited by blue; 12-25-2010 at 07:41 AM.

KickBeaten Down

Blue - good feedback, bad delivery. You can disagree with people, and you can point out mistakes and omissions, but you have to do it respectfully. No more posts that drip with contempt for another poster. Last warning.

Thanks Solitude, for the record I have no problem with the critiques, it's my first guide for PBFX, it's all about the delivery. Fortunatly I've gotten alot of positive feedback, so my feelings are in tact

The free ball from doing the mock warefare fast may be eaither random or a fluke. I've done it a few times but have not been able to repeate it since, although I'm still working on it, (Ive been play excalubar alot latley, not Rome) I'm 99% sure the hole was not lit before I started mock warfare, and after quickly completing it was. It's possible it was somthing else, but I'm working on retesting the theory. I really can't think of anything else I did to light that FB light, I'm sure I had not made the 6 shot combo at that time.

What it may have been was doing the mock warfare and subsequent neptune multiball multiple times, I'll test this tomarrow as well. Thanks for the heads up!

Just to be clear I have completed the wizard mode for this table, I have no reason to lie about it, I even mentiond I did it on easy mode.

I have been playing Rome quite a bit and am beginning to see that there is different possibilities in how you complete the Garrison missions and the amount of points you can get for finishing a mission (as blue pointed out in his replies as well). I think it might be worthwhile to add some guidance for the Garrison missions as well in your guide. Would be good to keep it more general and more vague (as you have done in other spots in your guide) but just so that people are aware that there is different "ways" in completing it.

One thing for example (might be obvious for some) is by activating the "Blessed" at the right time during the mission (by completing the Hand of Jupiter shots), you can double your potential mission score. I have not done it on all the Garrison missions but it definitely doubled my score on the Coastal mission when I completed it just before the final right Conquer ramp shot. Would be great if somebody could confirm if it is possible with the other missions as well!!

With the Southern Mission (Scales of Justice). I will also mention that each of the three holes (Janus, Scales of Justice and Romulus) that you can hit scores differently..... you can thus achieve a much bigger mission score by hitting the right one (remember you have to do it 5 times in a row so the difference adds up). The final shot also makes a difference in the points you get (Janus head or Jupiter orbit).

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    I don't celebrate Christmas.
    How shocking.

Well done nebhusker for emerging as Logic_FTW's editor and publisher for his guides!!! You guys are definitely giving me the Christmas present I sorely wanted (only thing that will top it is more tables from ZEN!!!!). My wife is already convinced that Pinball FX2 has brought about a permanent change in me.... don't know yet if she think its for the better (don't worry, I'll convince her that its the best thing ever for you other married/in relationship people ). Anyways the guide is going to take me further down the full blown junky road!!!!!

Just some thoughts on the pdf guide: - I suggest you add something like: Guide by Logic_FTW. Layout and Editing by Nebhusker. Also think of adding your email for people to give input and add to the guide and then also a version number and date to reflect when changes to the guide was made. You know that there are many unscrupulous people that will very easily take it as their own work and this guide is going to be posted everywhere!!!

This request is going to take a lot of time, but I suggest you add appropriate screen images, especially at the description of each element of the table, showing clearly what is being discussed. If you are up to it, I would be very grateful. I would also not mind if the resulting file ends up being bigger so that the images is clearer.

Again guys... thanks a lot. You are definitely embracing the the Xmas vibe.
    Thanks Cloda for the input/feedback! Those are all great ideas. The first part will be easy to add the ownership info. I also love the full screenshot idea and thought of trying it, the problem is I don't have a way to get screenshots from my XBox, I would need to find high resolution shots online, I'll have to open those shots I put in the guide using PhotoShop and see if they will work.

Okay everyone, give this one a look. It is not complete but will give you the idea of where I am headed with the screen shots. I'm not great with photo editing but I think I can make it work.

I also made a few edits based on feedback so far. Please continue to post any required edits and I will get it updated. Thanks again to everyone who has offered constructive feedback!

http://www.mediafire.com/?m19fpcz77i18ewh

Great stuff Nebhusker!!! You photo editing seems spot on and the new images looks great!!!! The completed guide is going to be even more helpful with the images added!

Glad you liked and incorporated some of the ideas I had. One small point with regards to the version number. I think, as some changes to the wording of the actual guide has already been made based on feedback provided, the version number should be something like 1.01. I am not 100% sure of the correct way to reflect updates in the version number but in my understanding if you have minor updates e.g. the correction that was made for the multi-ball from 5 to 3 then you make a change to the second digit after the full-stop (e.g. 1.01) but if you have a major revision like adding a completely new section to the guide e.g. adding the Garrison missions, then you change the first digit after the full stop (e.g. 1.10). So with this current revision and say Locic_FTW add the Garrison missions the version number can be something like 1.11.

Anyway, I'm being pedantic about this!!! Please carry on with the good work

The free ball from doing the mock warefare fast may be eaither random or a fluke.
    One of the rewards for a successful shot with an onager in mock warfare is extra ball. The rewards cycle in what appears to be a random fashion on the DMD. I tried for a while to consistently time a shot to the correct onager if it was lit while watching the DMD to catch the extra ball, but most of the time it shows up on the wrong onager, or time runs out before it comes around. It's fairly random (at least for me) to get this from mock warfare.

Also as Cloda pointed out, blessed does in fact double your mission scores, which in your guide you say it doesn't. As far as I can tell, blessed is a universal x2 score multiplier for all scores, much like the flaming ball in Blade. The only shots I have not tested this with are the wizard mode, and the Romulus jackpot, but seeing as the flaming ball in blade does double everything, including wizard mode points, I would expect Rome to work the same way.

I also think it would be a good idea to detail the garrisons, as they are the core aspect of the table.

Romulus multiball definitely starts at 100m jackpot. Time decreases this jackpot, while hitting any other shot increases it. It is possible to raise this jackpot well above 100m before collecting it, although this is hard to do. This is a very high risk/reward mode, as you have the potential get 100+ mil, or nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by heathenSauce View Post
    One of the rewards for a successful shot with an onager in mock warfare is extra ball. The rewards cycle in what appears to be a random fashion on the DMD. I tried for a while to consistently time a shot to the correct onager if it was lit while watching the DMD to catch the extra ball, but most of the time it shows up on the wrong onager, or time runs out before it comes around. It's fairly random (at least for me) to get this from mock warfare.

Also as Cloda pointed out, blessed does in fact double your mission scores, which in your guide you say it doesn't. As far as I can tell, blessed is a universal x2 score multiplier for all scores, much like the flaming ball in Blade. The only shots I have not tested this with are the wizard mode, and the Romulus jackpot, but seeing as the flaming ball in blade does double everything, including wizard mode points, I would expect Rome to work the same way.

I also think it would be a good idea to detail the garrisons, as they are the core aspect of the table.

Romulus multiball definitely starts at 100m jackpot. Time decreases this jackpot, while hitting any other shot increases it. It is possible to raise this jackpot well above 100m before collecting it, although this is hard to do. This is a very high risk/reward mode, as you have the potential get 100+ mil, or nothing.
    For the Romulus Multi ball ou hit the captive ball (the one to start mock warefare and justice) to rotate the Janus head, then hit the ball in the head to collect. I was honestly unaware that other shots increased the jackpot.

I'm working on a garrison section like the 250K 500K 1M shots in justice. Not all of them have alternate ways of completing them it seems. Take costal for example. Although you can shoot targets in different orders, the end result is still the same. When I add the Garrisons section I will go through and edit some of the other things pointed out. (Like the 10m for romulus, and the free ball, ect.

@Cloda - You asked about the justice shot, it gives you points and increases the justice jackpot.

@Nebhusker - Awsum job man, thanks again.

So thanks everyone for the feedback, hopfully I'll finish this up tonight. Im going to play around with thge garrisons a bit and make sure I'm not missing anything. If theres anything else you feel should be added eaither post in here or PM me.

Wow, thank you so much!
    Taking over The World, one E-bortion at a time.
    Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike: Yun, Ken, Hugo, Akuma
    Street Fighter II: Super Turbo: Fei Long, Ken, Ryu, Zangief, Balrog, Chun-Li
    Super Street Fighter 4: Abel, Akuma, Zangief, Balrog
    King of Fighters 2k2: Shermie, Ramon, Orochi Chris, Iori
    Guilty Gear Accent Core: Slayer
    Hokuto No Ken: Raoh stabs you in the toe and breaks your face.

Great guide bro!
    Ignore those who flame too because i don't see their guides anywhere lol. (They're just jealous of yours!)
    You've done a good job and i appreciate it =)

Also, i know this is off topic but does anyone know a sure fire way to get the ball into the Doc Ok lock hole on Spiderman because sometimes it shoots down the Mysterio ramp and sometimes it doesn't and the only way I've got it into the lock hole is when it doesn't. Any advice? Thanks.

Great job on the guide(s) Logic! Your hard work is much appreciated, keep 'em comin'!
    GT: ill skizzills
    Superscore: 655

Default About the "Mock Warfare" Extra Ball

After you started the minigame, look at the screen before launching the ball with the catapult. You will see different bonus scores appearing randomly in sequence. One of them is the Extra Ball, if you use the catapult when that bouns is on the screen and the shot doesn't fail, you will light the Extra Ball hole.

Other bonus are differen scores up to 750K and KickBack lights.
    From what I've seen so far, the Extra Ball bonus seems to appear less rarely during the two ball locks, after the first two shots of the minigame.

Also note that if the shot miss the target you have to start it over (no lock ball enabled).

Cheers
    Last edited by Simo1971; 01-03-2011 at 02:44 PM.

3) How do I get an extra ball: Again this is huge, if you want to score big you're going to need as many balls as possible. ROME is a little weird on this one. There are methods to activate the free ball light (below the Janus Hole) But they dont always work. Though they always work the first time. This leads me to believe it's eaither timed, or its a 1 time thing, (after you get the free ball via one method thats it) Any additional info would be appreciated.
    The first and eaisest way to get a free bal is via the "Mock Warfare" mini game (see "Mock Warfare") All you need to do is finish the first part of this mission quickly, like make the shots on the first try, no waiting, and the free ball light will illuminate. From there just pop the ball in the Janus hole, and there you go, free ball. (see MOCk WARFARE)

The second way is via 6 shot combo. After hitting an orbit or ramp there is a timer for a few seconds, (shown with a blue light for conquer ramps and flashing lights for orbits) By hitting the ramps and outer orbits you will gain combos, accomponied by a female voice telling you how awsum you are. After 6 shots, (the max combo) The free ball hole will light.
    As explained in some of the replies, the Mock Warfare extra ball got a bit more skill (and luck!) to it, I have not been able yet to get it through that method.

With regards to the 6 combo, I noticed something while playing today which is now making it easier for me to get the extra ball. I used to only go for the conquer ramps as I felt I could easier get the combo's rolling that way. What I noticed today is that after one or two combo's, if you miss a conquer ramp, even though the conquer blue lights stop flashing for the conquer ramp, the right ramp flashing light is still lit and if you hit it the combo count continues. This is especially helpful if you managed 4 combos and miss the conquer ramp as you can then shoot it into the right orbit and then the Jupiter loop which will then light the extra ball.

Can one of you wizard like people please confirm this for me... I have not been able to complete it often enough to be 100% that it is the way it happens!!
    Last edited by Cloda; 01-05-2011 at 04:51 AM.

Thanks for this. Although not perfect, it was a great help with this difficult table and I immediately upped my hi-score from 15m to 26m with the very next game.

I joined the forums because I was awarded 2 extra balls in very quick succession, and was oblivious as to how! Apparently I'd hit the onager in mock warfare when the dot matrix was showing "extra ball". In my hi-scoring game I failed to start the mock warfare minigame twice because I was looking at the dot matrix

I chose southern garrison whenever I got C-O-N-Q-U-E-R - you get:

250k - Janus head hole
    500k - Romulus hole
    1m - Garrison hole

Get enough holes and you light the Jupiter orbit - hit this to complete the mode.

BTW, don't worry about spoilers in a guide.

OK - the Western Garrison mission used to be the thorn in my flesh or to use a more era appropriate analogy - the sword in my side!!!!

After trying over, and over, and over and...... you get the picture - loads of times I finally found an approach that works better for me and give me a more realistic chance of completing it successfully.

As soon as the mission start I catch the first ball on my right flipper by holding it up as the ball gets ejected from the janus head straight onto it. The second ball gets launched and then I focus on using the left top flipper to complete the Jupiter orbit. If you miss, let is fall straight through as ball saved is still active for a while and the ball will be relaunched. Each time you complete it you get a million points added - thus, by completing it three times you can then shoot the first ball from the right flipper into the active romulus hole (if you complete it say 10x before hitting the romulus hole, you will get 10 million!!). If you still have "ball saved" activated (which is quite possible, because you can achieve three orbits very quickly after the missions starts) work on catching the one ball again on the right flipper (easiest to shoot the ball into the janus hole because it will drop down safely onto the flipper) and allow the second ball to fall straight through so that it can be relaunched again. In this way you can complete the 3x (or more for more points) jupiter orbits quickly again and end the mission with a final activated romulus hole shot with the held ball on the right flipper.

If the ball saved is not active any more, it gets a bit more tricky but by working on first holding a ball on each of the two flippers you can then complete the galley orbit with the ball on the left bottom flipper and complete the jupiter orbit from there.

Another interesting observation is that it happened once or twice that the mission ended very quickly after shooting the ball into the romulus hole, even though I did not score the required 3 million points for a second time. I think it happens when you manage to shoot a ball into the romulus hole a second time very quickly after you have achieved it the first time. I would be grateful if somebody that have a better idea of what is going on there could clarify it for me.

With this all said, I still find the mission difficult, but at least I feel a bit more in control.
    Last edited by Cloda; 01-15-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Lovely guide Mr. Logic. I just noticed something though. ROMULUS seems to score a lot more than a few million if accomplished immediately. I got 86 million from a single shot.

Crazy stuff eh? All I did was to shoot the captive ball and an orbit then hit it into the statue. Total score for the go 88 million because I was so confused at seeing a series of popups appear telling me a huge list of people I'd just beaten and I just let the ball go down the hole.

Given that I had been getting 3 - 4 garrisons complete before it seems odd that my 6 minute go stomped all over all of my previous goes.

Great fun though and a great table and solid guide

Quote Originally Posted by IAMMRBONGO View Post
    Lovely guide Mr. Logic. I just noticed something though. ROMULUS seems to score a lot more than a few million if accomplished immediately. I got 86 million from a single shot.

Crazy stuff eh? All I did was to shoot the captive ball and an orbit then hit it into the statue. Total score for the go 88 million because I was so confused at seeing a series of popups appear telling me a huge list of people I'd just beaten and I just let the ball go down the hole.

Given that I had been getting 3 - 4 garrisons complete before it seems odd that my 6 minute go stomped all over all of my previous goes.

Great fun though and a great table and solid guide

Yup, thank you much, and Fixed! (also fixed the Mockwarfare free ball)
    Last edited by Logic_FTW; 01-31-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Thread resurrection! Just in time for Easter...

Umm, anyway, I could use some help with the garrisons. I always used to to Coastal first because I knew what to do with it. No real problems there. After reading this guide the Southern one is now my first. I understand the 3 "holes" as targets (250k, 500k, 1 million depending on what you hit) but then what happens after that? The Jupiter orbit lights up and the Janus head is turned.

What is the correct target? I finished it with 1 second to go and got 3 million for it but I think it went into the Janus hole and not the orbit.

The other garrisons are confusing to me as well. Northern, for example, says to hit the ramps and avoid the targets. OK, easy enough, but what happens if I do hit them? What does 3/0 and 3/1 mean on the DMD? How many ramp hits are needed and what happens if I hit a target in between them?

Thanks for this guide, it has helped, but I need a little more info on the missions.

I would really like if someone to write up the Garrisons Missions and have Logic add the to the guide.

Quote Originally Posted by rapierdwit View Post
    I would really like if someone to write up the Garrisons Missions and have Logic add the to the guide.
    I concur. I agree that you should do a write up on the garrison missions....

Quote Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
    Thread resurrection! Just in time for Easter...

Umm, anyway, I could use some help with the garrisons. I always used to to Coastal first because I knew what to do with it. No real problems there. After reading this guide the Southern one is now my first. I understand the 3 "holes" as targets (250k, 500k, 1 million depending on what you hit) but then what happens after that? The Jupiter orbit lights up and the Janus head is turned.

What is the correct target? I finished it with 1 second to go and got 3 million for it but I think it went into the Janus hole and not the orbit.

The other garrisons are confusing to me as well. Northern, for example, says to hit the ramps and avoid the targets. OK, easy enough, but what happens if I do hit them? What does 3/0 and 3/1 mean on the DMD? How many ramp hits are needed and what happens if I hit a target in between them?

Thanks for this guide, it has helped, but I need a little more info on the missions.
    It has been quite awhile since I've played Rome, even though I would say it is my favorite machine, but I will try to answer to the best of my memory.

For Southern, either the orbit or Janus will end the mission successfully. I think Janus just gets you more points.

For Northern, I can't remember the specifics, although if I recall correctly, hitting a target doesn't seem to be that bad of a penalty, if any.

I always thought the most challenging garrison missions were the 2nd and 3rd ones on the list. One because the timer isn't very long in between shots, so you don't time to dilly-dally. The other because you have to hold multiball while completing the objectives.

If I can get around to playing, maybe I'll go through and refresh my memory and then improve my comments.

Hope this helps a little at least.

Quote Originally Posted by ZodiacMunch View Post
    For Southern, either the orbit or Janus will end the mission successfully. I think Janus just gets you more points.
    Janus gets you 1m, orbit is 2m. You get your score doubled upon the 5th successful target, so if you get all 5 shots into the scales hole you will score 5m for the shots and then 5m again for your troubles, if you get 4.25m, you get another 4.25m.

Default Thanks for the Rome guide, Logic!

Just registered to thank you for this Rome guide, Logic! I *really* appreciate all of your hard work.

Same here, I registered just to say thanks for the guide(s)! I totally get the "no official guides" thing as part of the pinball mystique is finding the nuances of the tables yourself. That takes a *lot* of time, though. As one that will never have that much time to devote to the game (or video gaming in general for that matter), these guides increase my enjoyment of the experience immensely.

So, thanks and well done!

The 5 is a type-o, supposed to be a 3. Sooo-ry geeze. As far as the Romulus thing, thats pretty amazing you where able to get in the 90's, From what I remebered I thought the countdown started at 10m? I'll have to look at it again...

And the garisons are totaly self explinatory, the Dot matrix tells you what you need to do. This is meant to be an explination of everything on the table, not a hand hold on every shot.
    I've been getting into this table a bit lately, and I have some questions and comments.

Regarding the Romulus multiball. I'm surprised no one's added this little nugget. The trapped ball on the right, used to start the Galleon Multiball, is a crucial part of the Romulus multiball. Hitting it INCREASES the jackpot. If you pay attention, it is indeed flashing like an objective target when the mode starts. I was able to successfully get the number up to 140M! Not that I completed the mode at that mark, but you can use it to re-raise the level as it progressively decreases...buying you more time and more points.
    Now for a question. WTF does it mean when it tells me "BLESSED"?

This seems to happen when I hit the right ramp on occasion. Similar to when you start the Romulus multiball, a door opens at the top of the ramp and eats the pinball. I haven't been able to tell the significance of the matter, or any earth shattering point value. What seems to trigger it, is doing a series of successful shots with the top left flipper. It seems as though whenever you hit the shot the first time, it lights up a white lamp on the table indicating to do it again. Doing it again opens the door at the top of the right ramp. Anyone have any information on this?

Another thing. What's going on when it says "Take heart, the gods are with you."?

Edit: This guide is great, but it desperately needs a section for the garrisons. Whether it's shown on the DMD or not, it would be nice to have a detailed explanation of what's needed to complete the various garrisons...akin to the Excalibur guide which explains the objective of each of the Knight's Tales. It can't possibly take that long. If need be, I'll be more than happy to pitch in where i can, and it can be copied and pasted into the main body of the guide.
    Last edited by UranusIsBroken; 05-04-2011 at 10:49 PM.

BLESSED indicates you have activated a universal 2x multiplier that lasts for a short time, as mentioned by Cloda and Heathensauce above. Apparently, it even applies to mission/garrison scores.

The guide refers to this as:
    "Hand Of Jupiter: Located on top of the right CONQUER Ramp. Must be unlocked with 2 consecutive Jupiter Orbit shots."

Quote Originally Posted by FIREBALL View Post
    BLESSED indicates you have activated a universal 2x multiplier that lasts for a short time, as mentioned by Cloda and Heathensauce above. Apparently, it even applies to mission/garrison scores.

The guide refers to this as:
    "Hand Of Jupiter: Located on top of the right CONQUER Ramp. Must be unlocked with 2 consecutive Jupiter Orbit shots."
    Thank you very much. It would seem that it would be a good idea to light up CONQUER, complete this sequence, then hit Janus in the face and do either the Southern or Coastal garrison for some easy points. I'll have to give that a whirl.

I'd appreciate it if someone would give this table some play and explore the jackpot increase on the Romulus multiball by hitting the captive ball.

Default Romulus hole

Has anyone noticed that at points, shooting the garrision hole sometimes it lights an extra letter for Romulus? I can't seem to pin-point when and why this happens. This would be good info to know as I find that shot far easier than the actual Romulus shot.

Thumbs up

OK - the Western Garrison mission used to be the thorn in my flesh or to use a more era appropriate analogy - the sword in my side!!!!

After trying over, and over, and over and...... you get the picture - loads of times I finally found an approach that works better for me and give me a more realistic chance of completing it successfully.

As soon as the mission start I catch the first ball on my right flipper by holding it up as the ball gets ejected from the janus head straight onto it. The second ball gets launched and then I focus on using the left top flipper to complete the Jupiter orbit. If you miss, let is fall straight through as ball saved is still active for a while and the ball will be relaunched. Each time you complete it you get a million points added - thus, by completing it three times you can then shoot the first ball from the right flipper into the active romulus hole (if you complete it say 10x before hitting the romulus hole, you will get 10 million!!). If you still have "ball saved" activated (which is quite possible, because you can achieve three orbits very quickly after the missions starts) work on catching the one ball again on the right flipper (easiest to shoot the ball into the janus hole because it will drop down safely onto the flipper) and allow the second ball to fall straight through so that it can be relaunched again. In this way you can complete the 3x (or more for more points) jupiter orbits quickly again and end the mission with a final activated romulus hole shot with the held ball on the right flipper.

If the ball saved is not active any more, it gets a bit more tricky but by working on first holding a ball on each of the two flippers you can then complete the galley orbit with the ball on the left bottom flipper and complete the jupiter orbit from there.

Another interesting observation is that it happened once or twice that the mission ended very quickly after shooting the ball into the romulus hole, even though I did not score the required 3 million points for a second time. I think it happens when you manage to shoot a ball into the romulus hole a second time very quickly after you have achieved it the first time. I would be grateful if somebody that have a better idea of what is going on there could clarify it for me.

With this all said, I still find the mission difficult, but at least I feel a bit more in control.
    I just felt the overwhelming urge to dote upon your exceptional literary/writing skills
    Especially since English is your second language

My hat's off to you, sir

+, Logic, I for one really enjoyed your Romanian tidbits and whatnot. Knowing a bit of background information on the table can become useful when you have no idea what the DMD is referring to.

DMD: "Shoot the Legerdemain Effigy!"
    Me: "...what's a Legedomain Ettipy?"

Quote Originally Posted by julietecho2 View Post
    I just felt the overwhelming urge to dote upon your exceptional literary/writing skills
    Especially since English is your second language

My hat's off to you, sir

+, Logic, I for one really enjoyed your Romanian tidbits and whatnot. Knowing a bit of background information on the table can become useful when you have no idea what the DMD is referring to.

DMD: "Shoot the Legerdemain Effigy!"
    Me: "...what's a Legedomain Ettipy?"
    Welcome to the forum... sounds like this game has also taken over your gaming life. Thanks for the compliment... glad you enjoyed it

Default Tips for Rome

It would have been very interesting to see how many people would have been able to get the achievement if you had to get to Wizard mode to get it - I think it would have been the hardest achievement next to Ultimo. I managed it again yesterday... it is a beast

You can actually get to it very quickly - less than half an hour as it is only 6 missions that you need to complete so my advice to anybody that wants to beat the table... put it on your daily roster for at least one decent game and practice something specific e.g. for me it was the Western Garrison multi-ball mission which I first had to get right first before I knew I had any chance of getting to the Wizard mode (see my earlier post for a technique that worked for me)...

This table makes you concentrate much more than any of the other tables because each miss hit gets punished severely. To do well, your accuracy must be spot on so I definitely recommend giving this table a spin every now and then as it will definitely improve your general play. When you first play the table again after a while, do not be discouraged when it feels like your aim has completely gone to the pits... the table is on a steep playing angle and the ramps are ridiculously steep so you first need to adjust your aim by playing around a bit before you will feel more in control (especially after playing a table like Ms. Splosion man where it feels like all your shots find a ramp or orbit without even trying!!!).

The combo shots extra ball is an attractive proposition but be warned that a rushed miss hit will more likely end in a lost ball rather than an extra ball. Focus only on safe shots and get the ball under control if it isn't before continuing again. Remember that the Right Orbit shots stay lit longer than the ramps for a combo.

Remember an appropriately timed nudge and slap save for a ball speeding down the right ramp can save most of the balls from draining - it is an essential skill to master if you want to survive on this table.

Also practice the backhand shot into both ramps and also the flick backhand shot into the right ramp - it happens quite often on this table and is quite an efficient shot.

Make the decision to not specifically go for the Romulus multi-ball or the Mock-warfare multi-ball when you go for the Wizard mode... you will activate it as the game continues so rather just focus on the modes.

Thanks Logic for the Edits in your guide.. you clarified quite a few things since I last read it.
    Last edited by Cloda; 09-17-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Default Garrison Missions and Trick Shot videos

I made some videos for the Rome Garrison Missions and also a video of a couple of trick shots and mini-games. OzVoyager1 made great videos playing through all the missions and the Wizard mode in one game, but I thought these could go with Logic_FTW's guide as a description for the Garrison Missions is still needed.

I don't have proper video equipment so I just use a video camera so the image and sound is not that great. The videos also don't display full screen when you watch it on youtube so I must have done something wrong when it was pulled in. My usual pride disclaimer... it is not easy playing and recording, so it didn't always come out as I hoped. Ah well... you can still see what is going on.

Northern Garrison Mission

"Shoot the flashing lanes, avoid the targets and the holes"

You are required to defeat 3 waves of the attacking enemy by shooting 5 flashing lanes for each wave. The mission is not timed.

Eastern Garrison Mission

"Shoot the flashing lanes to defeat the attacking hordes!"

This mission is quite tough because you have to complete a sequence of (initially 3) flashing lane shots to defeat waves of enemies in quite short time. You start off with around 30 seconds but with each wave defeated the amount of time you are allowed, get less between shots. I only completed 2 out of 5 waves in this clip but it was enough to complete the mission. Completing more waves awards you with a higher score for the mission

Western Garrison Mission

"Shoot the flashing lanes to raise the power! Shoot the left hole to swing the Ram!"

In this difficult 2 ball multi-ball mission you have to raise your points value to 3 million by shooting flashing lanes. Once it is raised you need to hit the Romulus hole. This then needs to be repeated a second time before the mission is complete. You can raise the points to higher than 3 million before hitting the Romulus hole for a higher mission score. This was definitely not my cleanest effort... but I made it!

Western Garrison Mission - Failed Attempt

"Shoot the flashing lanes to raise the power! Shoot the left hole to swing the Ram!".

I included this close failed attempt as well because it is played better than my successful attempt and shows the most effective way to raise the points to 3 million - shoot the mini-orbit repeatedly. Just had a brain freeze moment and messed up right at the end

Southern Garrison Mission

"Shoot the flashing lanes to gain control over the scale!"

You have a minute each time to shoot the ball into one of 3 holes - Janus, Romulus or the hole where the Soldier stands - this needs to be repeated 5 times. The soldier hole scores the most points (1 million per shot). After the 5 shots you need to hit either the mini-orbit (for 2 million points) or the Janus hole turned to the left for (1 million points) to complete the mission.

Central Garrison Mission

"Shoot the flashing lanes to destroy the enemy posts!"

To complete this mission you must destroy 4 enemy posts by hitting 4 of the flashing lanes twice each. The first time you hit a flashing lane, it will start flashing faster to indicate that you need to hit it a second time. You start with 30 seconds and each time you hit a flashing lane it is reset to 30 seconds again. If the time runs out you fail the mission.

Coastal Garrison Mission

"Shoot the flashing lanes to destroy the enemy galley!"

For this mission you have to hit 1 of 4 holes/targets (Romulus hole, hole below soldier, Janus hole and captured ball) in 60 seconds (per hole/target) before shooting the ball up the right ramp to load it for a shot on the enemy galley. This has to be completed for each of the 4 targets. After the 4th right ramp shot sequence hitting the galley you have to hit the right ramp a 5th time to sink the enemy galley and complete the mission

Trick Shots and Mini-games

Skill Shot - The Skill shot is quite straight forward... just shoot the ball into the Janus head turned to the left. Just press the A button, don't pull back on the right stick to launch the ball.

Spell Conquer/light combo extra ball - In this section of the video I managed to spell conquer while completing 7 combo shots. The extra ball is lit for the 6 combo shots. The crazy thing about this table is that you first have to complete a mission if the Conquer lights are lit before you will be awarded the extra ball by hitting the Janus hole.

Scale of Justice Mini-game - During normal game play if you hit the scale of justice (soldier hole) 3 times the wooden lane changer on the left ramp change position. When you hit the ball up the left lane the Janus head turns to the left and you then have one chance to hit the ball into the Janus head to score initially 200 points (it increases with 200 points each time) before the lane changer, change back again. In this section of the video I complete the last scale of justice shot and then complete the side Janus head shot... with a little flair, by first going around the mini-orbit (not intentionally off course).

Janus Says Mini-game - During normal game play if you hit the Janus head a countdown timer starts from a million points. You then have to hit the left ramp then the right ramp and finally the left orbit to complete the Mini-game. I try to avoid starting this as little as possible because you can't build combo's or light the Conquer letters while this mission is active.

Backhand Shots - Practice these shots as they often come in handy on this table.

Backhand Flick - With the right ramp the backhand flick works quite often and quite efficiently. I avoided it initially as it felt risky but eventually I realised that it works more often than not.

Nudge / Slap Save Combo - When you first start playing this table the right ramp is a deaf trap. By practising a well timed nudge / slap save for a ball going three quarters or higher up the right ramp and then speeding down the ramp again you can avoid a high proportion of the balls going straight down the middle. It is essential to get it right because it will happen and also quite often on this table.
    Last edited by Cloda; 09-19-2011 at 08:32 PM.

So I wizarded this at the weekend for the first time - my memory of the last few events is a bit hazy though.

I remember that after completing the last garrison the mini orbit lamp was flashing and my first reaction was that I need to hit that. That didnt do anything but then I noticed the right ramp was flashing and a shot up there activated the wizard multiball.

I cant remember if they were both flashing at the same time. Maybe I didnt need to hit the orbit first?

Anyhow I was wondering if its possible to start 'Blessed' before the wizard mode? 2 x score on that would be amazing.

Great table Rome - its a bit like Blade where you get the majority of your points from the Wizard mode (apart from Romulus that is which isnt a good design decision imo).

You have to bring your 'A' game to this table. Even a successful game is over quite quickly. To my mind this is much more fun than some of the recent grindathons (although there should be place for both in FX2).

This table is so FRUSTRATING!!!! The right ramp screws me over time and time again. Everytime the ball gets to the top, it comes back down SdtM. *screams*

Default A note and a question

Something frustrating I'll add (that I didn't see mentioned earlier) is that you have to hit the center (Janus) hole to collect the extra ball. But, it won't activate if you are ready to start a mission (i.e. CONQUER is lit up) or during a mission (or at least during a mission where the center hole plays a role). Worse, should you drain the ball before you collect the extra ball, bye bye extra ball.

Lost 3 extra balls in the past 48 hours this way. Grrrrr!
    Lesson learned: pick the Eastern mission when this occurs, and just wait the 15 or so seconds, collect, and start over.

Question:
    Do you have to complete all 6 separate garrisons to activate the final mode, or just 6 missions period (whether it's 1 of each, or the same mission 6 times)?
    The chat here implies all 6, but STTC's guide makes it sound like you could repeat missions.
    Haven't been able to find out for myself; most I've done in one game is four.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalEther View Post
    Question:
    Do you have to complete all 6 separate garrisons to activate the final mode, or just 6 missions period (whether it's 1 of each, or the same mission 6 times)?
    The chat here implies all 6, but STTC's guide makes it sound like you could repeat missions.
    Haven't been able to find out for myself; most I've done in one game is four.
    It's been over a year since I played the table so my info may be a little suspect, but here goes:

There is an achievement called Legatus Legionis which requires you to either reach FRENZY(final mode) or complete any 7 garrisions. Doing 7 of the same garrision gave me the achievement, but I don't think it started the final mode.

Yeah, I actually had a great run last night and completed the Southern Garrison for what I think was 6 times, but didn't get the frenzy.
    Did hit my first Romulus jackpot for a cool 69 million.

Tried again this morning, giving myself 10 balls and Very Easy settings. Did the South 7 times and nothing, so yeah, it looks like you have to do each one.
    Probably give it one or two more go's just to see the frenzy, then I'm probably done with the table. Way too irritating. If I were to play again, I'd just be trying to spam the Southern Garrision and Romulus.
    Even on very easy, the right ramp is still a pain. Plus, I want to shatter Janus every time I hear that cursed shoot the ramp due to a misplaced shot.

Thanks.

Edit: Managed to get all 6 activated - took a few tries on Western - to see the frenzy with the adjusted settings. Got about 96 million on it.

Few quick details on the scoring (Keeping in mind on Very Easy some of the requirements are lowered, so the scores may not be completely accurate).

Northern - seems to be the least rewarding. Makes sense as there is no time limit. Got about 1.5 million for it.

Eastern - I think I got a 12.5 million completion bonus. Didn't notice how much I made per shot.

Western - Sorry, didn't pay close attention. As Cloda implied, this was the hardest. I would assume you get the "jackpot" points for hitting the Romulus hole each time.

Southern - each shot provides 250,000 (Center) 500,000 (Romulus) or 1 million (Scale). After the 5th is hit, you get those points again (i.e. hit the Scale hole 5 times and you get 10 million total). To finish you get 1 million for hitting the center hole or 2 million for the Jupiter orbit. So you can get up to 12 million for this.

Central - only noticed the 5 million completion bonus.

Coastal - each target hit was 100,000 points. The subsequent right ramp shot was 150,000 points. Completion gives another 5 million points.

Frenzy - it looks like each shot was either 2.5 million or 3 million points.
    Last edited by OriginalEther; 03-18-2013 at 01:43 AM.

Thumbs up Another helpful thread, thanks all who helped out!

Quote Originally Posted by The Albin0 Rhin0 View Post
    This table is so FRUSTRATING!!!! The right ramp screws me over time and time again. Everytime the ball gets to the top, it comes back down SdtM. *screams*
    \

This pretty much sums up what I thought about this table.

However, I'm trying to play this table again and Cloda's advice is absolutely fantastic, especially on the Western Garrison misson. I still struggle with it, but not as much. Also holding 2 balls and the quick flick around the right orbit is great too. I know some here do it, but I never had luck with it until this table. It should help my multiball skills a lot.

I didn't see it posted anywhere here but I might have missed it, on the Western Garrison if you hit the Romulus hole before 3 million it resets to 0. I didn't realize this and couldn't figure out why sometimes it took a long time to light up the hole and sometimes it was pretty quick.

Also, on Northern like posted you need to make 5 ramps/orbits to complete each wave. However where ever your 4th hit goes, you must hit the same ramp again to finish the wave. This matters to me because many times hitting the orbits is best for me so I don't get any drains from going up either of the 2 Conquer ramps. After hitting the right ramp I always try for the Jupiter ramp and most times I miss it. If I happen to hit it on the 4th time that means I have to hit it again to complete the round.

I know this is an old thread, but there's a lot of great info here for anyone playing this table like I am right not.

I also found it from Cloda's self indulgent/vain thread. I don't think it's either actually. It's hugely valuable at least for me.

Thanks again all!