Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Logic_FTW
    • Dec 2010

The Complete guide to ROME

All I ask for the effort is feed back. Did the guide help? Anything else needed? Would you like another? Thank you

ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ROME:
    A Guide To ROME - PBFX 2
    So ROME is really fun table once you get used to it. It can be daunting at first but hopefully after this guide, you will be leading the empire to greatness it ways never before imagined.

A few thoughts on ROME:
    This is not an uber-scoring table, meaning you're not going to rack up 10's of millions quickly. You have to work for the high score, and many of the challenges are quite difficult (much like building an empire) . It's a pretty unforgiving table, many of the larger scoring opportunities are only avaliable per ball, meaning you lose a ball, and alot of hard work is wiped. Also the ball save IMO is one of the hardest to get consistantly. Fortunatly the kick backs are some of the easiest. Another point to mention is the ramp drain, only make it half way up one of the CONQUER ramps and the ball is almost assuredly going to drain. I've tried to work a way around it, but given the speed its coming back, nudging just wont work. Unlike the Janus Hole (middle of table) which you can normally drop stop, miss a CONQUER ramp and it's bye bye ball. For this reason I recomend only going for the ramps from a stopped ball, there are a few exceptions, but as a rule of thumb it will get you far.

So a few terms for the table:

Janus hole: The head in the middle of the table, has extra ball light and garrison light, used to start missions, skill shots, extra balls, start a mini game, increase jack pot, set up ramp shots. Its in the "center" for a reason, most of the table revolves around it, much like ancient Rome revolved around the Gods. Respect the Janus hole centurian Janus was the Roman god of doors and gates..

Garrison: Although the missions are also called "garrisons" for the purpose of this guide, missions will be called "Missions". The garrison is between the janus whole and the ROMULUS hole. There is a solder on top of it along with 2 solid lights at its entrance.

Scale of Justice: Located behind the Garrson, more on what its for later.

ROMULUS Hole: Furthest Hole to the left, theres letters there, they spell ROMULUS. Romulus was the first roman king. He and his brother Remus where abandoned by their parents and suckeled by wolves in the wild. This made for some hardcore dudes, and a worthy ruler of rome.
    Bumper Orbit: This is the far left orbit, if completed the ball with hit a small target, fall through the Vini Vidi Vici slots, into the bumpers.

CONQUER RAMPS: The 2 main ramps, we'll get more into their uses later, for now just know where they are.
    Captive ball: To the right of the right CONQUER ramp is a captive ball with 3 targets behind it.

Galley orbit: The right orbit, its mostly used to line up a shot with the top flipper. The galley is the boat.
    Jupiter Orbit: The middle orbit accsessed by the top left flipper (there is no top right one)

EMPIRE Targets: Located to the far left and right of the flippers.

VINI VIDI VICI _"We Came We Saw We conquered" Was written on roman money. (Notice the bumbers below are coins. Located at the top center of the table. The torches above show which words are lit, the torches can be changed with the flippers.

Hand Of Jupiter: Located on top of the right CONQUER Ramp. Must be unlocked with 2 consecutive Jupiter Orbit shots.

SCUTUM Letters - not located on the board, but are activated by 4 or more consecutive bumper hits. The dot matrix keeps track of them. A Scutum was a roman astrological device.

ARMA - located in the in and out lanes, letters can be changed with flippers, just like Vini Vidi Vici. Arma roughly translates to "weapon".

Justia wheel - Located at the top most left of the board, can only be accsessed by the Justice mini game, its also the most brutal mini game in PBFX2. Remember in Rome "Justice is swift and unmercifull"
    I think this is it as far as "whats on the table".

Ok so now onto the main cource. I've considered alot of ways to do this, I believe the most helpfull is going to be a referential type guide, much like the explination of terms above. So look for the title and an explination will follow.

SKILL SHOT: Launch ball at max speed, janus hole will rote left, knock ball into janus hole from top left flipper. Bonus varies. Up to 1 mil.
    Lets start off with the essentials. IMO there are 3 key things that are a must know when approching a PBFX2 table.

1) How do I get a Kick back Lit: This is super important, if a ball heads down the left outlane theres nothing you can do, if it heads down the right you can try a deathsave but this is far from 100% assured. For that reason I consider kickbacks the most important thing to know.
    In ROME the kick backs are activated with the ARMA letters. Light all once for the left, and all twice for the right. The torch behind the kickback will be lit when active. It's not timed, one of the few forgiving elements of this table. Captive ball hits can give a nice bounce into the left inlane.

2) How do I activate the Ball Saver. Again this is important to know how to do, as its best to have a saftey net before attempting difficult shots, or shots that can lead to a drain. The ball save is activated for 45 seconds, to get it you must light all the SCUTUM letters, this is done by 4 consecutive bumper hits per letter. Basicly shoot the left orbit alot, as a bonus you should rack up some Vini Vidi Vici's.

3) How do I get an extra ball: Again this is huge, if you want to score big you're going to need as many balls as possible. ROME is a little weird on this one. There are methods to activate the free ball light (below the Janus Hole) But they dont always work. Though they always work the first time. This leads me to believe it's eaither timed, or its a 1 time thing, (after you get the free ball via one method thats it) Any additional info would be appreciated.

EDIT:

The first and eaisest way to get a free bal is via the "Mock Warfare" mini game (see "Mock Warfare") During the stage where you shoot the ball into the ship (red light) Random bonus' will be listed on the DMD. They range from different score amounts to ball saver and score multiplier. One of them is a free ball. Given you only have 5 seconds to launch the ball, gaining a free ball this way is a bit random. I dont reccomend waiting for it as you may lose the mini game and have to go through hitting the captive ball all over again.

The second way is via 6 shot combo. After hitting an orbit or ramp there is a timer for a few seconds, (shown with a blue light for conquer ramps and flashing lights for orbits) By hitting the ramps and outer orbits you will gain combos, accomponied by a female voice telling you how awsum you are. After 6 shots, (the max combo) The free ball hole will light.
    Ok so thats the 3 main objectives, moving on.

How Do I Activate the Score Multiplier: The next most important thing to know on any given table is the multiplier. This one is rather easy for ROME, accomplshed by lighting all three words vini vidi vici. (see up top) This multiplier like most in PBFX 2 does not multiply your entire score, only target shots. Its still worth it though as at 6x or higher all those little target shots start really adding up, if you really want to see how this affects your score, go into opperater mode and turn on the detailed scoring, this shows the bonus being applied.

The is another small multiplier that as far as I know acts as a blanket 2x except for missions and minigames. Its the Hand Of Jupiter, Hit the Jupiter orbit 2x , then quickly (while the blue light below the right CONQUER ramp is on) hit the right CONQUER ramp. This will give you the hand of Jupiter bonus (Jupiter was the king of the gods, in greek he was Zeus)

The Scale of Justice: An easy way to get this bonus is with the garrison hole, or more specificly, the Scale of justice. By landing the ball in the garrison hole, your ball will activate the scale of justice, this does 2 things , 1) it drops the ball through the "Vini" slot of the vini vidi vici slots. 2) It brings across a bridge for the left CONQUER ramp. Ok so this bridge, it also does 2 things. 1) It allows a left CONQUER ramp shot drop the ball right on the upper left flipper (to line up a jupiter ramp shot) 2) After making this shot the Janus head will rotate to the left. You have one chance to make it in his mouth. Its a brutal shot (same as the skill shot) but it makes for good practice on another mini game well get into later. What happens when you get it in? Sorry you're gona have to find out for yourself. Considering all it takes to activate is a garrison shot and a ramp shot, it's definaltly worth it. Alot of times if you miss you'll end up making the Jupiter orbit anyway, which isnt a bad thing in itself. All I can reccomend for this is a hard shot. Lightly tap the flipper while ball is about dead center. Light shots (pulling the flipper all the way down quickly) don't fare well on this top flipper.
    Ok so thats the multipliers, and the justice mini game practice shot, as well as the the use of the justice scale. Onto the missions and Minigames.
    Last edited by Logic_FTW; 01-31-2011, 03:07 PM.
  • Logic_FTW
    • Dec 2010

Hoalvans urges

MINI GAMES:
    JANUS SAYS: Ok I made this name up as a play on simon says. It dosent have a name. If you hit the janus hole while no lights under it are lit, it will fire the ball back at you, and start a countdown from 900K points. You hear janus say HIT THE RAMP! . The goal is to hit the left ramp, right ramp, then left orbit. The faster you do it the more points. With practice this is any easy 600K +. As Janus fires the ball out do a drop stop with the right flipper then immediatly hard shot up the left orbit (its like the trajectory was made for this) as the ball rolls down the left in lane soft shot the right ramp, then from the right flipper, as the ball is lined up with the end of the arm, hard shot the left orbit. Once you get it down it takes about 6 seconds, easy as 1-2-3.

COMBOS: Although this isnt a mini game per say its worth a mention, because by getting combos you can light the extra ball light. After about 3 shots the ball will be going pretty fast, for me I rely more on sound than the visual cue's, while alternating up the left and right conquer ramps just get a feel for the timing of it and the regular sounds of the machine. Don't rely on vision, rely on timing and you will get it.
    Justice Shot: See above (The Scale of Justice)

Mock Warfare: First hit the captive ball a total of 4 times. Its a late hit off the left arm. Not too late though. After this is done you will hear the General yell The Onager is Lit (an onager is like a catupult, genuine to the period) Then go up the right CONQUER ramp and into the leftmost play area. Here you are presented with 2 options, select the first Mock Warfare. Then you will notice to flashing lights, one will be red one will be yellow, the object it to launch the ball while the light is red. After you get used to this mini game try to get it as fast as possible to light the free ball light. 2 shots will complete the first part of the minigame. From here the "lock is lit" All you need to do it hit the captive ball once, then the right ramp to lock a ball. 3 locked balls start the 3 ball multiball called the Neptune Multiball (Neptune was the God of the sea, Im guessing because you achive this mode by sinking a ship , neptune rewards you.) The goal of this multi ball is pretty simple, Hit janus to increase the jackpot. Hit The romulus hole to get the jackot, POTENTAIL HUGE POINTS in the 10's of millions. You can also get 0 points, welcome to ROME. The gods do not smile upon you.

JUSTICE:If you select the second option "Justice" after getting the ball in the left playfield (see above: Mock Warfare) get ready for the most frustratingly difficult mini game in PBFX2, welcome to ROME again. There are 4 colors of spinning targets at the end of the left playfield. Hitting a color coresponds to the shot you will have to make. All ending in a skill shot. Follow the flashing ramps, hit the left alligned janus whole, all in about 5 seconds, and you get justias gift, 1 mil points. However this is not the true bonus of the game, the rue bonus comes after completing all 4 shots. After each shot made a numbered door on the dot matrix will open, after all doors are opened you will gain justias favor and...... good luck finding out, I've done it once, on easy mode, its cool but given how difficult it is unless you get that skill shot down pat just skip this one. Its a nightmare.

ROMULUS MULTIBALL: This is a 2 ball multiball and pretty straight forward, just light up all the ROMULUS letters by hitting the romulus hole, then hit the janus hole. The goal here is to hit the captive ball (the same one that starts the other 2 minigames) and rotate janus' head, then get the ball in the janus hole. The faster you do it the more points you get. EDIT: This game is on a timer, the more time you have left the more points you get. Try to rotate the head and get the ball in as quickly as possible. The countdown starts at 100M.

GARRISONS: I'm not going to go into detail on each garrison, the dot matrix displays the rules and you get time to read before the game starts. Just light the letters to CONQUER, then get it in, you guessed it, Janus' head., select a garison with the flippers, for fast points (like for multiplayer) go for southern and aim for the garrison hole, its worth 1 mil a pop.

WIZARD MODE: Complete all the garrison missions from the conquer ramps and lead the roman army across the italian peninsula. Defeat the barbarians to unite the roman empire and lead the republic to greatness, your name will live on forever! As with all wizard modes this is a 5 ball multiball with crazy scoring opportunities. Thats all I'm gona say, follow the dot matrix, no spoilers here, I've probly already said too much.

Ok so thats the missions and minigames, finnaly heres some other tidbits about ROME.

Empire level: When you complete the words empire (targets to far left and right) You get an empire level. It's marked by a light on the centurain in the middle of the tables helmet. If you lose a ball you have to start over, it's insanly brutal and I've yet to get all all 5 levels. What they give is an end of ball bonus. 250K, 500K, 1M, 2M and mabey 5 mil for all 5. I really dont know, as far as any other bonus' for getting all five I just dont know. I kind of doubt it based on the renown levels on excalubar. (theres no mission or anything for maxing out) . Ive heard other speculate they get more points on the missions the higher the EMPIRE lvl is, but again it's speculation. There are so many factors that go into your score on the missions its almost impossible to tell what is giving what score.
    In the operaters menu try setting the arm sensitivity to maxium. This allows for harder shots and more ease getting up the conquer ramps and hitting the janus hole when rotated left.

So there it is, the guide to ROME for PBFX2. If I missed anything or you would like somthing added please let me know, I'll be more then happy to update this. For now I feel I've covered everything but I may have overlooked somthing, so again just ask and ye shall recieve.
    Last edited by Logic_FTW; 01-31-2011, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• Cloda
      Pinball Wizard
      • Nov 2010

Great stuff Logic_FTW !!!! I really appreciate the effort you put into this and hope you do as many guides as you are up to for the other tables as you really laid things out very nicely and logically. For the first time I now understand certain things that even though I knew how to activate, I did not really understand "why" and the mechanics behind it e.g. SCUTUM or the bridge up the left conquer ramp. It really helps as I am now able to logically plan things. I also appreciate that you first explained all the targets and loops etc. as it will be easier to pursue now that I know what it is.

One small point (nothing to do with the great content) - you made a few spelling mistakes e.g. whole instead of hole.
      Last edited by Cloda; 12-23-2010, 06:44 AM.
      XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

Discord server - PinStratsDan

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

Comment

• Womble
        • Nov 2010

Excellent work. Thanks!

Comment

• IzzyToxic
          • Nov 2010

Thanks for the info, Logic_FTW. I always wondered what would happen if I ever finished sinking that bloody ship. The other details such as skill shot are good to know. I have been shooting for the center lanes when launching the ball thinking that the skill shot trigger was in one of those lanes. Now I know why I haven't ever made one.
          The robots are watching you!

Comment

• nebhusker
            • Dec 2010

Awesome stuff Logic!! Thank you for taking the time. I love the detailed explanations, the historical Roman info, and the general discussion on kickbacks, extra balls, etc. This will be a big help.

One request, any way you could post this as a PDF or something for easy download & printing?

On another note and to show my immaturity, why do I always giggle when I read "pop the ball in the Janus hole"????

Comment

• Logic_FTW
              • Dec 2010

Thanks for the feedback guys. Glad I could help.

TBH I thought about commenting on "putting it in the Janus hole" but in an effort to keep the guide "G" rated I decided not to. I had some choice words for Justia too (the female voice of the table I believe) again, I stayed on the side of caution. I'm glad you appreciated the Roman mythos. Obviosly the guys at Zen put some thought into this table and I wanted to highlight the cool historical accuracies.

I'm currently working on another guide for Bio Lab. I'm not 100% on this table but I've I held the high score (with my group of about 30 PBFX2 friends) for over a month now at 340M. (I got the wizard mode). I'd like to be 100% before I actually post it though. The table seems backwards to me as the "rare stuff" missions, side games, ect is pretty easy and rather intuitive to figure out, while the simple stuff eludes me (free ball and ball save). If anyone knows eaither of those please let me know, I'm curently playing 10 ball easy mode trying to figure it out. I believe thats all I'm missing on the table, but for me those two items are essential for a guide.

I'm trying to keep the guide themed as well, with in game explinations, heres an excerpt so far, possibly some helpfull info intill I finish it.

From my BioLab Guide,Part 2 Fun Stuff to do:

Does that creature in the middle annoy you? Well not only can you pull an additional 500K points by making him a pure blood (matching the colors to his three body parts) but you can also earn extra points from shocking him to kingdom come. By hitting the bumpers you can send waves of electricity through his helpless little body! Not only is this extremely satisfying, but it increases the amount of points you can earn in the "Creature Upgrade" missions. For quick points (for multiplayer) Send the ball around grungers orbit into the bumpers a few times, then activate the "brian upgrade". By following the steps mentioned above to get the ball quickly through the maze, you can rack up 8 or 9M points very quickly and be the envy of all your friends! Watch that triangle fly!

Also I notice alot of people don't play this table and it's unfortunate, I really believe it's because they don't realize what BioLab has to offer. Alot of the coolest parts of the table are obscure, and hidden. (like the mutations which IMO really make the game) It has one of the most fun wizzard modes, and the most unique mini-games. The mutation mechanic is so addicitive and keeps every game you play fresh. I hope the guide, when posted, will turn more people on to this really fun and unique table.

So yeah, just working on the ball save and free ball, if you know it please post or PM so I can save some time Thanks

Comment

• Logic_FTW
                • Dec 2010

IIS; stster

Good news! Found both the ball save and extra ball today for biolab! There are actually 2 ways to light the ball saver, both are pretty tough. The extra ball is nothing short of brutal. Its a 5 step process!! Its also no wonder why I couldent find it by looking at the table, you'll see why in the guide.

So thats the good news.
                Now for the bad.

BioLab is in incredibly busy table. I never really noticed how much there is untill I started documenting it. Its has to be at least double ROME in mini games and nuancess. I'm still not sure if I'm 100%, that twister thing confuses me still, I can't figure out it ultimate purpose. Just an update, if you have any pressing questions about BL in the meantime go ahead and ask Ill answer them for you.

Comment

• nebhusker
                  • Dec 2010

I know I mentioned a file for downloading earlier, and thought I would try to help out with it, since you've already done all the hard work.

Below is a link to a PDF of your guide. . . .I've cleaned up the spelling and added formatting and a few screen shots for flair, see what you think. If you have any changes just let me know.

Thanks again!

Updated link to PDF guide
                  Last edited by nebhusker; 12-29-2010, 04:01 AM.

Comment

• Logic_FTW
                    • Dec 2010

Wow! That is killer man, I love it!! I don't know how to do that stuff, I'm on an HP mini and I only have Adobe reader. If it's not to much work I'd appreciate you fixing any and all of the guides I post. Really, thank you that rocks!

Comment

• Cloda
                      Pinball Wizard
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by nebhusker
                      I know I mentioned a file for downloading earlier, and thought I would try to help out with it, since you've already done all the hard work.

Below is a link to a PDF of your guide. . . .I've cleaned up the spelling and added formatting and a few screen shots for flair, see what you think. If you have any changes just let me know.

Thanks again!

http://www.mediafire.com/?a2s97e2c42w8w3x

Well done nebhusker for emerging as Logic_FTW's editor and publisher for his guides!!! You guys are definitely giving me the Christmas present I sorely wanted (only thing that will top it is more tables from ZEN!!!!). My wife is already convinced that Pinball FX2 has brought about a permanent change in me.... don't know yet if she think its for the better (don't worry, I'll convince her that its the best thing ever for you other married/in relationship people ). Anyways the guide is going to take me further down the full blown junky road!!!!!

Just some thoughts on the pdf guide: - I suggest you add something like: Guide by Logic_FTW. Layout and Editing by Nebhusker. Also think of adding your email for people to give input and add to the guide and then also a version number and date to reflect when changes to the guide was made. You know that there are many unscrupulous people that will very easily take it as their own work and this guide is going to be posted everywhere!!!

This request is going to take a lot of time, but I suggest you add appropriate screen images, especially at the description of each element of the table, showing clearly what is being discussed. If you are up to it, I would be very grateful. I would also not mind if the resulting file ends up being bigger so that the images is clearer.

Again guys... thanks a lot. You are definitely embracing the the Xmas vibe.
                      Last edited by Cloda; 12-24-2010, 05:45 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes yet again!!!!
                      XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

Discord server - PinStratsDan

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

Comment

• blue
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Logic_FTW
                        All I ask for the effort is feed back.
                        Complete?

It's poorly organized, you're missing several things, there are too many extraneous comments, and some of the information is wrong.

I'm not going to go into detail on each garrison, the dot matrix displays the rules and you get time to read before the game starts.
                        Huh?!

The garrisons are what a guide to Rome should be based around...

As with all wizard modes this is a 5 ball multiball with crazy scoring opportunities.
                        None of the core tables offer a five ball wizard mode.

Thats all I'm gona say, follow the dot matrix, no spoilers here, I've probly already said too much.
                        What you've said isn't correct and leads me to believe you haven't completed all the garrisons in a single game. Rome's wizard mode has a name, and it's unlike the objective based modes in the other tables.

Did the guide help? Anything else needed? Would you like another?
                        No. Yes. No.
                        They took our pinball machines!
                        Let's revolt, who's with me?
                        Grab a pitchfork and come with Zen!

Comment

• Vincent
                          Pinball Wizard
                          • Sep 2010

About the Romulus multiball jackpot, when you say "at most it's a few millions", that's wrong. The countdown starts at more than 100 millions, and I managed to get 92 millions. That's not "a few millions" (and you said "at most").
                          Last edited by Vincent; 12-24-2010, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• Logic_FTW
                            • Dec 2010

The 5 is a type-o, supposed to be a 3. Sooo-ry geeze. As far as the Romulus thing, thats pretty amazing you where able to get in the 90's, From what I remebered I thought the countdown started at 10m? I'll have to look at it again...

And the garisons are totaly self explinatory, the Dot matrix tells you what you need to do. This is meant to be an explination of everything on the table, not a hand hold on every shot.

Comment

• blue
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Logic_FTW
                              The 5 is a type-o, supposed to be a 3. Sooo-ry geeze.
                              I don't believe you. The five key isn't next to the three key, the wizard modes differ greatly, and it sounds like you haven't made it to Rome's wizard mode.

As far as the Romulus thing, thats pretty amazing you where able to get in the 90's, From what I remebered I thought the countdown started at 10m? I'll have to look at it again...
                              One of the achievements is to complete Romulus multiball with at least 50 million remaining.

And the garisons are totaly self explinatory, the Dot matrix tells you what you need to do.
                              The g-a-r-r-i-s-o-n-s aren't t-o-t-a-l-l-y self-e-x-p-l-a-n-a-t-o-r-y.

Some of them require action a few seconds after they begin. It's easy for a player to fail a garrison mission because he has no idea what to do.

This is meant to be an explination of everything on the table, not a hand hold on every shot.
                              That sentence contradicts itself. Either you're being lazy, or you haven't completed all the garrisons.
                              They took our pinball machines!
                              Let's revolt, who's with me?
                              Grab a pitchfork and come with Zen!

Comment

Working...