Thread: Go, Cap!

Default Go, Cap!

I see that Captain America is closing in on Ghost Rider for the lead spot in the "what should be the next table" poll. He's only 27 votes behind at the moment I'm writing this.

When does this poll close, anyway?

I was hoping for hulk. But it looks like the captain is going to take first place. I'm a bit surpised to be honest. I guess there are a lot of Americans voting. Either that or he's more popular as a super hero than I thought.

Either that or there's some poll rigging going on. *clears cookies* *votes for hulk 700 times*

I come from Australia and i voted for Cap, he is by far my favourite of Marvel's Superheroes (although I'm more of a DC man myself, both companys make great books)
    I first (really) encountered Cap (I knew of him before of course, but never really 'knew' him) in Mark Millar's Ultimates 1 and then went on to read Ed Brubakers Captain America, which is still one of the best comics on the shelf each month, that characters and events are all very well written and it really drags you in to his story in a way that very few other comics do today.
    Captain America isn't really so much an 'American' icon in Ed's books as he is a flagpole for freedom and justice, much in the same way as Superman in DC's books, but easier for most reader to relate to. He fights for his country, even if that isn't what his country wants (see Civil War).

*tldr version : Captain America in marvel comics is really rad, and if you can pick up a copy of the Captain America Omnibus's (Volume 1, the Death of Captain America Omnibus, and soon Captain America Lives Omnibus) you will not regret it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy35 View Post
    I come from Australia and i voted for Cap, he is by far my favourite of Marvel's Superheroes (although I'm more of a DC man myself, both companys make great books)
    I first (really) encountered Cap (I knew of him before of course, but never really 'knew' him) in Mark Millar's Ultimates 1 and then went on to read Ed Brubakers Captain America, which is still one of the best comics on the shelf each month, that characters and events are all very well written and it really drags you in to his story in a way that very few other comics do today.
    Captain America isn't really so much an 'American' icon in Ed's books as he is a flagpole for freedom and justice, much in the same way as Superman in DC's books, but easier for most reader to relate to. He fights for his country, even if that isn't what his country wants (see Civil War).

*tldr version : Captain America in marvel comics is really rad, and if you can pick up a copy of the Captain America Omnibus's (Volume 1, the Death of Captain America Omnibus, and soon Captain America Lives Omnibus) you will not regret it!
    Yeah but he does dress like an idiot. Look at him. He's a person gifted with the perfect health and physique he saves people's lives. Surely people would be perfectly he happy if he turned up casually dressed.

Personally if I was being saved from the red skull I'd be quite happy if cap rolled up to work with last night's kebab down his t-shirt.

The thing that really confuses me about these super heroes is that they usually wear capes. Nobody else wears a cape apart from liberache, houdini and the count off of sesame street.

Just don't get me started on Superman.

Oh and thanks zen for removing recapcha. Much better now. Zen really does listen to what their fans say. More so than any other developer. Brilliant stuff as usual

I'm honestly surprised a Captain America table wasn't included in the first batch of Marvel tables. Don't get me wrong, the Blade table is really well done and I enjoy it... But Blade? Really? I thought for sure that slot would have been better served with a Cap, or even a Thor table.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
    I'm honestly surprised a Captain America table wasn't included in the first batch of Marvel tables. Don't get me wrong, the Blade table is really well done and I enjoy it... But Blade? Really? I thought for sure that slot would have been better served with a Cap, or even a Thor table.
    I don't know why people care about themes so much. I really like johnny mnemonic and the shadow. Both based on terrible films but both great pinball tables.

I'm more conserned of the effects on my eyes that playing on a red white and blue table will have.

I tried watching the movie from the 90's last night to familiarise myself with the character. I remember watching the film as a kid and thinking it was great. I guess I had bad taste in movies back then. Though it is hilarious to watch back now.

Spiderman, Wolverine, Iron man and Cap is the ultimate alliance team so I thought they would be the first ones (or maybe have Hulk instead of Wolverine because he's just one X-man). I guess Blade steamrolled over Cap because of how one or more Zen devs like him (and Cap's the least known of the 4)

I vote for Hulk. There's only 1 green table now and I'd like some brutal and heavy Hulk-like ball mashing.

Quote Originally Posted by IAMMRBONGO View Post
    I don't know why people care about themes so much. I really like johnny mnemonic and the shadow. Both based on terrible films but both great pinball tables.
    I see what you mean but come on...captain america? Could they have picked a cheesier superhero? That table is going to be ugly as hell. Heres hoping for Ghost Rider

Quote Originally Posted by xBloodxletterx View Post
    I see what you mean but come on...captain america? Could they have picked a cheesier superhero? That table is going to be ugly as hell. Heres hoping for Ghost Rider
    Cap was anything but cheesy before marvel killed him off. Murder, drug addiction, robbery etc were all his bag before he bit the bullet. Most people write him off without actually reading any of the comics. Most of the later storylines were extremely hard hitting affairs.

Ghost Rider on the other hand always came off as a wimp or a total psycho depending on the writer. Plus the whole "arcane" comic line in Marvel was always extra cheesy. The best and most liked characters were always came from the "experiment/tech" line such as Cap, Wolverine, Ironman etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lexandro View Post
    C\ Most people write him off without actually reading any of the comics.
    Yeah thats exactly what I did, lol.

Havn't really spent any time getting into comics, although I have gotten a lot more interested recently. All I was refering to was his appearance. Which I think is pretty important considering it's a pinball table. Either way, it doesn't matter much, I'm sure whatever Zen does will turn out well, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

On another note, does anyone know if they are making a whole new pack of marvel tables? Or is it just going to be a single?

Don't be so quick to discount Cap on his colours, by that theory Iron Man should have been the most Bad-Ass awesome hot rodding table ever. Instead (to me) it looks like a fisher price toy.

I am really looking forward to Cap, Hulk, FF, Ghost Rider in that order. They must be coming as individual tables, or else the whole vote for which is next thing would be fairly redundant

Most people write him off without actually reading any of the comics.
    And I believe that's what Zen would go after, what most people think Cap is.

In my imagination:
    Ghost Rider: I can already see the huge flaming skull in the middle of the otherwise blackish table. Ramps are important ("you are GR on a bike" style gameplay). Way too much like Blade IMO
    Cap: Blue with some white and red. Cap looks like in the cover of Secret Wars. Ramps are important ("you are the shield" style gameplay). Too patriotic and cheesy IMO
    FF: Mostly blue again with the FF scattered around. Diverse table yet boring IMO
    Hulk: Major green with lots of bumbers, wall panels and such. My favorite basics.

The originial tables had yellow, black and 2 red focused tables. I wish we got Hulk or Cap instead of Iron Man

Cap was anything but cheesy before marvel killed him off. Murder, drug addiction, robbery etc were all his bag before he bit the bullet. Most people write him off without actually reading any of the comics. Most of the later storylines were extremely hard hitting affairs.

Ghost Rider on the other hand always came off as a wimp or a total psycho depending on the writer. Plus the whole "arcane" comic line in Marvel was always extra cheesy. The best and most liked characters were always came from the "experiment/tech" line such as Cap, Wolverine, Ironman etc.
    Yeah, but from what I read on wiki about Cap Frank Miller took over writing. If Frank Miller had written the script for care bears it would have probably been x rated.

Problem is todays super heroes have to be cool ...

Blade is cool ... vampire, using katanas ... etc ...

As for ghost rider, in its debut when johnny blaze was a stuntman and had a very hard time in controlling his ghost rider form, it was very interesting story wise ... like he had to fight to regain his human form and ghost rider had nothing but hate towards his host ... now i guess he's just cool ... leather dressed biker with a flaming skull ... oh well.

I'm not too concerned though knowing zen will make a great table out of any character ... and i would play a carebears table too

Quote Originally Posted by X DrLobo View Post
    I'm not too concerned though knowing zen will make a great table out of any character ... and i would play a carebears table too
    My Little Ponies would totally stampede the Care Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
    My Little Ponies would totally stampede the Care Bears!
    Rainbows and unicorns theme for the win. I am just looking forward to whatever Zen throws our way if the truth be known. I'm getting pinball greed at the moment. I was waiting for gottlieb collection to come out this month for XBLA but it hasn't and I'm now wondering if it ever will.

I had it for wii and it wasn't even that good. I kept comparing it to fx and it wasn't anywhere near as super dooper sweet.

what are we all looking forwards to then? For me I'd like a long table like wolverine for the cap. Something like T2.

We've not really had any gottlieb style flipper tables, you know the ones, like black hole with wire guides and stacked flippers. That would be awesome for hulk. Gottlieb tables were always poor in comparison to williams IMHO. With zen's creation though they could cram shed loads of shot in with the extra fllippers.

There were some really nice rampless tables during the 80s too like centaur. That would be sweet for a table. Though I think most people would probably disagree with me there.

Zen said they were looking at some art work for the new tables on facebook so I'd guess they must either be at the concept stage or they must have finished the playfield layout.

Either way I'm hyper excited

Solitude when will the winning table be avalible to download? Also I assume that you are creating all the tables and the winner will be avalible first.

Make a Mortal Kombat Table and it will make lots of $$$