Thread: Fish Tales right orbit strange behavior

Default Fish Tales right orbit strange behavior

I saw another user point this out somewhere, and couldn't stop noticing it ever since. Balls rolling down the right orbit in Fish Tales act as if there is an invisible wall pushing the ball away from the actual guide. Notice how in the video the ball launches out of the lock, bounces back up into the right orbit, and then rolls down but doesn't really touch the ball guide. It sort of floats away from it. Play at a lower speed for a better look. In a way, it almost looks as if the ball is following the wire guide above it even though is shouldn't be touching it.

Thank you for the report, I'll check it out.

Confirmed. there are two different effects

one is where it floats away liek that and the other is where itr bounces off the fish standup and diverts left.

The beta update has fixed part of this, thanks!

The other issue is as zaphod mentioned. The ball always bounces off of the rubber at the end of the right orbit when coming out of it, sending it towards the left flipper instead of the right. I'm not entirely sure how most Fish Tales are set up, but I don't think they usually have this happening.

Quote Originally Posted by mystman12 View Post

The other issue is as zaphod mentioned. The ball always bounces off of the rubber at the end of the right orbit when coming out of it, sending it towards the left flipper instead of the right. I'm not entirely sure how most Fish Tales are set up, but I don't think they usually have this happening.
    I checked the real machine we have in the office and it does this exact thing. However there are many differences how the ball behave depending on which real Fish Tales you play on. These machines have been made by hand and there are several inaccurate post placings and other things (just nuances but these matter) on every piece that influence how the ball moves.

Quote Originally Posted by deep View Post
    I checked the real machine we have in the office and it does this exact thing. However there are many differences how the ball behave depending on which real Fish Tales you play on. These machines have been made by hand and there are several inaccurate post placings and other things (just nuances but these matter) on every piece that influence how the ball moves.
    This is one of those things that should be left in. even ideal real machines are not always perfect, and can have gotchas. if everything its too ideal, the simulation is too easy.

But the other one did seem to be fixed now, which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by mystman12 View Post

I've restored and shopped several Fish Tales and every one of those including our showpiece Fish Tales sends the ball to the right flipper and does not bounce it over at the end of the right orbit's metal wall. We noticed that If the rubber on that post is not the correct size it can intrude on the trajectory of the ball and kick it out. We made that mistake when we rebuilt the first machine, we put the wrong rubber on that post. It was an easy mistake. Having the ball come straight down to the right flipper IMO is the way William's intended.

Default Splitting hairs

Another thing I've noticed and this is only because I've logged hundreds of hours on the machine is when the ball is fed to the left flipper from the boat ramp and following habitrail is the ball should have enough momentum to roll over the lifted left flipper and onto the right flipper setting up the shot to make the completed sequence and left orbit. This is somewaht critical to the game play in that you can make the left loop shot (spinner) and "Monster fish" to complete the intended sequence. Again, this is splitting hairs and not something a normal player would notice but the machine and all others we've restored have done this. Your's is close but seems to slow the ball down a bit too much when it hits the lifted left flipper and the ball JUST falls short of rolling onto the right flipper enough to make the shot. Again I'm splitting hairs but when you play the game for and extended amount of time you notice this very subtle characteristic. This and the post rubber at the end of the right orbit being wrong are the only things I see.
    Last edited by Thirdaxis; 09-09-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Or you can just hit one more boat loop real quick.

and well normally balls do not trickle back down out of that particular orbit.

Each pinball machine has quirks, and this one is fairly harmless. but i won't get mad if it's fixed, as other people have fish tales that don't do that.