Thread: Change Physics Model?

Default Change Physics Model?

I am new to Zen and utterly confused by the play options available.

I've seen talk as to how there is a new physics model which is supposed to be as realistic as possible and that either physics model is available, whether you're using the 'remastered' table or not. How do you know or select what you're using?

So far all I can see is 'single player' which is full of upgrades and elements I'm not interested in and tournament which, from reading here, I understand to be purposefully harder (steeper table slope, pins removed from outlanes etc). Where is real or 'normal' without any upgrades/modifiers?

Am I also right in stating that cabinet mode is not available in this beta? The cabinet icon which is supposed to be on the main menu is nowhere to be seen.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Klopek View Post
    I am new to Zen and utterly confused by the play options available.

I've seen talk as to how there is a new physics model which is supposed to be as realistic as possible and that either physics model is available, whether you're using the 'remastered' table or not. How do you know or select what you're using?

So far all I can see is 'single player' which is full of upgrades and elements I'm not interested in and tournament which, from reading here, I understand to be purposefully harder (steeper table slope, pins removed from outlanes etc). Where is real or 'normal' without any upgrades/modifiers?

Am I also right in stating that cabinet mode is not available in this beta? The cabinet icon which is supposed to be on the main menu is nowhere to be seen.

Any assistance will be appreciated.
    Classic Single Player is the mode you want. From there you can choose Arcade or Tournament.

And once you start, you can switch to the remastered table if you want.

Cabinet mode is not im the beta. But the latest beta locks the view if the screen is in portrait mode and doesn’t move back to show the plunger and front of cabinet.
    Last edited by foofoorabbit; 09-19-2018 at 08:32 PM.

Edit: Dammit. I hadn't even noticed that Fish Tales is in two places on the single player select screen. I am clearly selecting the head-to-head one, not the 'Williams' one.

I have single player on the main menu, I click it and then I choose a table. I am then taken to a 'matchup' screen before the table starts but with weird timers and other things I'm not interested in. Where is the arcade option or any mention of 'classic'? I looked through the pause menus too.
    Last edited by Klopek; 09-19-2018 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Klopek View Post
    Edit: Dammit. I hadn't even noticed that Fish Tales is in two places on the single player select screen. I am clearly selecting the head-to-head one, not the 'Williams' one.

I have single player on the main menu, I click it and then I choose a table. I am then taken to a 'matchup' screen before the table starts but with weird timers and other things I'm not interested in. Where is the arcade option or any mention of 'classic'? I looked through the pause menus too.
    It’s definitely confusing. The head-to-head mode is yet another option.

I get you. We are looking into simplifying the names etc or adding some information about these that everyone can access. Maybe even in game.

So right now with our original tables:

- 'Single Player' gives you Zen physics with powerups
    - 'Classic Single Player' gives you Zen physics without powerups

With Williams tables:

- 'Single Player' gives you Zen physics
    - 'Classic Single player' gives you either
    - 'Arcade' which is the new physics engine
    - 'Tournament mode' which is the new physics with IFPA tournament rules (it's harder)

With Williams you have the option to play with 2 graphics options which you can toggle with a button ('Y' on the keyboard, 'B' on Xbox, 'O' on PS, 'B' on Switch).

It's a lot but we wanted to give you as much options we could!
    Last edited by McLovin; 09-21-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Maybe some of these menu items and modes need to be renamed for consistency's sake and to better explain what they actually do?

It's a little confusing as none of the information you mention here is actually provided in the game, you have to experiment to see what each mode does for yourself, or seek out an external forum post like this. If you guys are against renaming the modes to be more self-explanatory, then perhaps you should probably at least include some additional descriptive text to the menu UI explaining what they actually are so everything is clear to all.

For example, instead of 'Single Player' it could show 'Zen Single Player' for the Zen creations, and then 'Classic Zen Single Player' for the Zen tables without power-ups.

For the Williams tables, you could also say 'Zen Single Player' for the Zen physics setup and remastered visuals by default, and then something like 'Arcade Single Player' or 'Simulation Single Player' to cover the new physics.

Then for Willams tables the menu could read:
    'Zen Single Player'
    'Arcade Single Player'
    - 'Original' & 'Tournament' sub-selections from there.
    Or:
    'Zen Single Player'
    'Simulation Single Player'
    - 'Arcade' & 'Tournament' sub-setups.

Or something better than that.

Although just adding some descriptions to the current choices, anything more than what is currently there, is will probably do even with the currently named modes! Even if renamed to something else, you should still include some actual descriptions of the altered physics and all that for the various selections. The doubling up on 'Classic' as meaning multiple things for the different table types is probably the prime source of confusion here.
    Last edited by ImperiousStout; 09-20-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    I get you. We are looking into simplifying the names etc or adding some information about these that everyone can access. Maybe even in game.

With Williams tables:

- 'Tournament mode' which is the new physics with IFPA tournament rules (it's harder)

With Williams you have the option to play with 2 graphics options which you can toggle with a button ('Y' on the keyboard, 'B' on Xbox, 'O' on PS, 'B' on Switch).

What about us players who wants to play Classic Single Player mode with Zen physics instead of the new physics engine, will it be possible? I refuse to play with Power-ups and the zen physics fits me better personally. Thanks for Reading.
    /Nudge

well if they can add on more leaderboard, then it could be "zen/arcade/tournament"

but the real issue is that zen physics flippers AIM correct, but trap the ball too easily. if arcade flippers aimed like the zen ones did but otherwise acted like they do now, then you would be happy with arcade.

The old vp from the original arcade cabinets had an "oblique correction" feature that made the flippers aim less wide.

also there is nothing stopping you from disabling all the powers. unless the issue is you want to play the zen version against others who arent' allowed to use powers.
    Last edited by zaphod77; 09-25-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Ive bought all of the zen pinball tables and i only play the classic single player mode with zen physics and its own leaderboards. It would be a really weird choice to all of a sudden removing that option. Its still possible to play that way on all the other tables released before the williams tables so why not anymore. I see what you are saying about "nothing stopping you from disabling all the powers" but its not the same thing. I cannot compete on the leaderboards with one person saving drained balls by pressing a rewind button and the other person losing those balls. I have a suggestion!

Rename single player tab to Zen Pinball (or something else) and rename classic single player to Real Pinball (or something else). Zen Pinball tab has Zen physics and Real Pinball has the new real life like physics.

Upon pressing Zen Pinball you get 2 options, first one is Single player (Power-ups), second one is Classic single player (no powerups). 2 leaderboards.
    Upon pressing Real Pinball you also get 2 options, first one is Arcade with its own rules and the second one is Tournament with its own rules. 2 leaderboards

/Nudge

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post

With Williams tables:

Forgot to try but want to make sure. By selecting Arcade or Tournament with new physics, if we toggle the graphics, does the new engine stay and it simply change the graphics?

Quote Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
    Forgot to try but want to make sure. By selecting Arcade or Tournament with new physics, if we toggle the graphics, does the new engine stay and it simply change the graphics?
    Yes, it only changes the graphics. If it changed the physics on-the-fly that would be impressive (not to mention cheating ).

Thanks for the suggestions for the Zen physics + no powerups mode. I'll forward them.

Quote Originally Posted by foofoorabbit View Post
    Yes, it only changes the graphics. If it changed the physics on-the-fly that would be impressive (not to mention cheating ).
    Great! Good to know thanks, forgot to see if it was changing the physics, i didnt want that to happen, could have seen as you said some kind of cheating.