Thread: Ball bounce

Default Ball bounce

One thing I'd really like to see is ball bounce--not the kind where it bounces off a target, but where it bounces off the table. While it's extremely common in real pinball, It's almost unheard of in digital pinball. I think accurately simulating this would add a ton of realism.

Quote Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
    One thing I'd really like to see is ball bounce--not the kind where it bounces off a target, but where it bounces off the table. While it's extremely common in real pinball, It's almost unheard of in digital pinball. I think accurately simulating this would add a ton of realism.
    Sort of like the ball hopping off the table and, sometimes, against the glass? I think the Pro Pinball games do that.

Agree totally.

Greg mentioned that in his Spaces Arcade video (beta 3). He refers to it as implementing z-axis ball movement, and said it also has the added benefit of creating more randomness (ie: if the ball momentarily leaves the table, then it will alter the path it takes creating randomness).

It would be awesome to see this implemented, along with the sound of the ball hitting the glass. Will add so much to the realism.

Here is a link to that part of the video.

actually jumping balls is not very common when the table is properly waxed. dirty tables have the ball pick up more spin from friction, and that causes the jumps.

But stuff like the Yagov Kicker is good at making the ball jump the flipper. the sudden slam can cause a lot of spin to get picked up in a hurry.