What do you think after playing the new physics tables and coming back to Zen?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zeugma
    • Feb 2015

What do you think after playing the new physics tables and coming back to Zen?

title
  • teamski
    • Oct 2018

Finally got to run through the tables tonight. Really thrilled with them. I have hours (and hours) on each of these tables on PBA and I think ZEN pretty much nailed them. The only complaint I have is the poor sound sampling on Medieval Madness. The music and feature sounds are mono (stereo in PBA) and rather muffled. If you compare them to PBA, they quite flat. I hope that Zen will fix that. Otherwise, really, really good. Keep it up ZEN! I found a permanent home here now!

-Ski

p.s. The only other observation I have is that the tables seem a bit flatter than in PBA. I think PBA kept the aspect ratio closer to the orginal and didn't worry about filling the entire screen with the table. I prefer the PBA approach better, but I understand that they probably wanted them to be consistent with the rest of the tables.....

Comment

• M!chel
      • Sep 2018

Indeed, I like everything about the Williams tables except the sound. Seems to be of less quality compared to the original Zen tables.
      I'm also hoping they'll fix that.

Comment

• mrtangerineman
        • Sep 2018

Just had a few goes of each mode on Fish Tales. I only have the free table as I'm waiting to see if they bring the Williams tables to PSVR before sinking money into them. The difficulty and speed of Arcade and Tournament settings reminds me of how bad I suck at pinball in real life and my scores were probably comparable in the few very short games I played. That's a good thing though. I remember my local pub having Fish Tales about 25 years ago and I never sank much money into it because 50p only lasted me a couple of minutes (in the days when a pint was £1) but now I can learn how to get good even with the added difficulty. Closest I'll get to playing real pinball on a regular basis as there aren't many real tables near me.

Switched to one of the Marvel Zen tables when I'd finished and the difference was night and day. It's like playing pinball with a beach ball where you can keep a game going for hours. Don't think I'll play much of the Zen tables unless they add the new Classic Physics to them where feasible.

Comment

• ALH2012
          • Oct 2012

Both physics have their place imo just depends on what mood you are in, what you want from the game.So far i have played the Zen Williams tables on Classic Single Player Tournament Setup.I'm not entirely sure but i believe that is the highest difficulty setting.And that is how i want my Williams tables to be because i want those tables to kick my ass as much as possible as do the actual tables in reality.
          With the Zen Original tables i don't mind the "unrealistic" ball physics because the tables are designed and feel right that way.I don't mind switching back between both physics/games Zen Originals/Zen Williams, actually enjoy it.
          Last edited by ALH2012; 10-10-2018, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• Captaincroutons
            • Oct 2018

The physics are fantastic! The most realistic physics in a pinball sim, imo. I just think the cabinet mode is lacking right now. A good fixed angle would be ideal. Or just give us a way to completely control and tweak the camera in cabinet mode. Then I will never go back to TPA.

Comment

• JaySTeeY
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by ALH2012
              So far i have played the Zen Williams tables on Classic Single Player Tournament Setup.I'm not entirely sure but i believe that is the highest difficulty setting.
              That seems to be correct. This is what I read on the Zen FB page re Arcade vs Tournament setting:
              Tournament setting uses the competition rules of the International Flipper Pinball Association. To name a few: table pitch is higher making the ball move much faster, there are no extra balls, tilt warning are more sensitive. You can find out a lot about pinball leagues and rules here: https://www.ifpapinball.com/rules/
              XBL GT - JaySTeeY
              casual pinball player, looking for friendly competition

Comment

• ALH2012
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by JaySTeeY
                That seems to be correct. This is what I read on the Zen FB page re Arcade vs Tournament setting:
                Tournament setting uses the competition rules of the International Flipper Pinball Association. To name a few: table pitch is higher making the ball move much faster, there are no extra balls, tilt warning are more sensitive. You can find out a lot about pinball leagues and rules here: https://www.ifpapinball.com/rules/
                Ok.Thx.

Comment

• teamski
                  • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Captaincroutons
                  The physics are fantastic! The most realistic physics in a pinball sim, imo. I just think the cabinet mode is lacking right now. A good fixed angle would be ideal. Or just give us a way to completely control and tweak the camera in cabinet mode. Then I will never go back to TPA.
                  I am confused with this statement. You DO have control of the camera in cabinet mode. Classic single player locks the table and you can adjust the angle of the table in the fixed position. The standard single player mode has the graphical animations and the zoom camera enabled. No, ZEN nailed it!

-Ski

Comment

• ericph77
                    • Nov 2017

nice to hear,what are you playing on, console/steam?

Comment

• ImperiousStout
                      Pinball Fan
                      • Sep 2018

Originally posted by teamski
                      I am confused with this statement. You DO have control of the camera in cabinet mode. Classic single player locks the table and you can adjust the angle of the table in the fixed position. The standard single player mode has the graphical animations and the zoom camera enabled. No, ZEN nailed it!

-Ski
                      How are you doing this? Classic Single Player in cabinet mode with portrait orientation still has the same exact limited presets for the cameras here, and only 1/1w/2/8 are 'locked' - the rest move dynamically, same as before. And view 8 in portrait orientation still has that terrible squashed and unnatural orthographic-ish perspective. I do not understand how that made it from beta to release.
                      Last edited by ImperiousStout; 10-11-2018, 04:15 AM.

Comment

• RonnieBoy
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by M!chel
                        Indeed, I like everything about the Williams tables except the sound. Seems to be of less quality compared to the original Zen tables.
                        I'm also hoping they'll fix that.
                        The sound is authentic from the ROM software of the original tables, so there is nothing to fix.

Also real pinball tables usually have a much better consistency in sound design than Zen tables, I would say that sound is Zen's biggest weakpoint, especially the music.

Comment

• ztouta37
                          Pinball Fan
                          • Oct 2018

Hello all

Sorry for my english
                          New tables are great and i hope playing many Williams tables via Zen in the futur.

I just notice one point i dont like. When you shake the table UP, the cam is leveling up and you lost eyes on ball.
                          You need to fix it please

Thanks

Comment

• Vincent
                            Pinball Wizard
                            • Sep 2010

To me the new physics are so thrilling that I consider this update to be a kind of Pinball FX 3.5... until Pinball FX 4(K) is out, that is

Comment

• MultiForce
                              • Jul 2009

I love it, not much more needs to be said :P

On a (personal) side note: One can finally play "normal" 3 ball rounds of "zen tables" without risking having to sit through hours before finishing a game. This is what I have always dreamed of since my 9 hour session in Secrets of the deep that got me burned out.

Comment

Working...