How to approach skilling up for the Williams classic arcade mode?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cloda
    Pinball Wizard
    • Nov 2010

How to approach skilling up for the Williams classic arcade mode?

We all come from different pinball playing backgrounds so thinking about that I wondered what would be the best approach to get proficient with the real tables on arcade mode? The specific approach would differ somewhat based on your background I would guess.

I my case my pinballing started with Pinball FX2 in 2010 and I don't have experience with real tables and physics (kind a strange thing to admit if you think about it ). I think therefore that I am first going to play each table in Zen mode so that I can get used to the layout, modes etc. I have done it so far on Medieval Madness and have already managed to beat the King of Pain and have activated (I think) just about all the other modes.

My thinking is that by first spending time on the table in Zen mode and by getting a feel for the angles that the ball comes down from hitting various objects and coming out of lanes and sinkholes etc. you will be able to then just focus on what shots you need to take next and plan for it when playing in Classic Arcade mode.

Before I will then actually try and play a table on Classic Arcade mode I think I am first going to spend time trying to master the different skills and tricks as I believe this becomes essential to keep the ball alive (along with pin-point accuracy off-course). I'm pretty good at it with Zen mode physics but that doesn't count for much on Classic Arcade mode I realised. There are many resources out there on the internet to demonstrate what and how it should be done.

One suggestion for Zen Studios is that they build some sort of skills and tricks tutorial into the game where a shot/skill/trick is demonstrated and where the player must then replicate it. This can even be a fun side-game with an achievement for completing and advanced skill. I believe this would help a lot to get unexperienced players skilled up to be able to enjoy real tables to their fullest. Racing games have these kind of tutorials where you learn about racing line, brake spots etc.

I would love to hear how you guys are thinking about this.

NB: I'll keep on adding to this in other posts on this thread as I learn and develop more:

- First continuation is at Post 4 where I make some observations and give some tips on what to consider as you transition.
    Last edited by Cloda; 06-10-2019, 08:38 AM.
    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

Discord server - PinStratsDan

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread
  • mrtangerineman
    • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Cloda
    One suggestion for Zen Studios is that they build some sort of skills and tricks tutorial into the game where a shot/skill/trick is demonstrated and where the player must then replicate it. This can even be a fun side-game with an achievement for completing and advanced skill. I believe this would help a lot to get unexperienced players skilled up to be able to enjoy real tables to their fullest.
    This is a great idea, I'd love to see that implemented.

Comment

• teamski
      • Oct 2018

That is a pretty good idea. However, I think the arcade pinball crowd is in the minority for the time being so taking the time to teach the skills would be falling on deaf ears for the most part.

-Ski

Comment

• Cloda
        Pinball Wizard
        • Nov 2010

Continuation 1

I have transitioned over now from Zen mode to classic arcade mode on Medieval Madness after getting to know the table with the much easier zen physics mode. I know the table well now and know what to do to get to the wizard mode. I did not complete the Wizard mode in Zen physics mode as I would love to rather get it right and feel more of an achievement if I manage to do it with classic single player physics.

A few observations of what I experienced when I made the transition:

- The ball is unwieldy and there is a lot more randomness involved e.g. the ball bounces slightly different each time it gets ejected after destroying the castle.
        - The shooting angle from the flippers is definitely different and you have to first get used to them and build the muscle memory. I played around with different views and find that views that I don't like e.g. View 4 works for me in arcade mode and aiming feels more natural.
        - The ball react different to the flippers than what you are used to e.g. zen mode a quick flipper snap will bring a ball rolling onto the flipper from the in-lane to a stop, in arcade mode it flips the ball up.
        - You must basically thus unlearn all the flippers tricks from zen mode and relearn a whole new set of skills.
        - I still can't do all the tricks at will in Zen's real life / arcade physics comparison video but since I bought and Xbox One and Volume 4 flipper physics came out, it feels much more realistic and will improve with practice. If find that I can perform much finer shots with the analogue trigger buttons compared to the shoulder buttons.
        - Either way, keep in mind that these tricks are not all that easy to do so rather focus on other ways to control the ball. Shooting with a cradled ball is still your best way of improving accuracy no matter what pinball game or mode you play.
        - Nudging is much more essential. In zen mode I used it mostly for passing the ball between flippers, death saves and very occasionally to keep a ball from going down an out-lane. In classic arcade mode you have to nudge a whole lot more including for slap saves and keeping the ball from going down the out-lanes.
        - Once you switch over to classic arcade mode, stick with it for a while as the skillset, shooting angle and ball movement is completely different.

My best game yet on classic arcade, I scored 376 million and defeated the final King of Pain.

Screenshot 2018-10-27 at 12.51.34.jpg

So, there is definitely hope with some patience and care for us Pinball FX veterans / real life rookies to make the transition to classic arcade physics. It is great fun and I love the challenge and the much shorter games.

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any further thoughts or tips and I'll gladly add to it.
        Last edited by Cloda; 06-11-2019, 08:10 AM. Reason: Bought a Xbox One!

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Comment

• McLovin
          Marketing Manager
          • Apr 2017

Very cool and thanks for the pointers Cloda!

Comment

• Cloda
            Pinball Wizard
            • Nov 2010

Since the release of the Williams tables, I have basically only played Medieval Madness on Classic Arcade (Deep) Physics. Today I finally managed to beat the King of Pain to become the King of the Realm! I was so happy that I lost all focus and basically lost my last few balls without scoring much more for a final score of 376 Million.

Screenshot 2018-10-27 at 12.51.34.jpg

I share it with you guys as there are no online presence (leaderboards or achievements) on Mac Zen Pinball 2 and you will have some appreciation for my sense of joy and satisfaction for achieving this. Edit: I am now on XBox One.

I found it strange though that you get the achievement for just reaching the wizard mode rather than finishing it and that it also doesn't show what physics mode it was achieved in... that feels like a bit of a cop-out from Zen's side. I have always felt strongly about the fact that a score for me will mean much more if the person played through the wizard mode of a table rather than just spamming some mode. It will be great if Zen can indicate next to a score if wizard mode (or how many times e.g. Sorcerers Lair) was finished reaching a score or not.

Anyways, I love the Williams tables with the deep engine. Even though I just beat the wizard mode, it didn't take me much longer than maybe a half an hour to get there. I played at most an hour a day since the release of the tables and each day I felt like I was getting a little closer to beating the wizard mode... love it.

This is truly now a new, much improved game for me and am so looking forward to further releases.

Now on to the rest!
            Last edited by Cloda; 06-10-2019, 08:36 AM.

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Comment

Working...