Thread: Zen, please explain!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Zen, please explain!

Please take a minute and explain! It is highly important to the community.

1) Why are the tables censored but The Walking Dead or Doom are ok?

2) Would it be possible to change the age rating for a DLC OR can we get an additional DLC that unlocks the normal version the Williams pack?

3) What can we expect in the future? Will all upcoming Williams tables be censored? What can be done not to censor them?

From https://www.pinballfx.com/?page_id=7989:

Zen Studios is very aware that certain tables, such as Medieval Madness, have content that cannot be included in an E10+ rated game. At this time we are running the Family Mode version directly from the ROM on consoles, Windows 10 and Mac. Zen is not censoring the game any differently from what Family Mode includes. On Steam, the game is not running Family Mode; however, this can be turned on in the game settings if so desired.

This is a complicated issue with varying ideas and opinions, and it directly intersects huge stakeholders including legal, business, product and community. Zen’s first obligation is to provide age-appropriate content within the game’s rating.

We hear from both sides – those who do not want Family Mode to be the only option in the game and those who appreciate Family Mode, and we will work to find the right balance for this situation.
    Husband. Father. Gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by LeanderL View Post
    Please take a minute and explain! It is highly important to the community.

1) Why are the tables censored but The Walking Dead or Doom are ok?

2) Would it be possible to change the age rating for a DLC OR can we get an additional DLC that unlocks the normal version the Williams pack?

3) What can we expect in the future? Will all upcoming Williams tables be censored? What can be done not to censor them?
    I hear ya.The current censorship situation is unacceptable.We've also been talking about it in this thread: https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthr...ate-censorship

I really would like or recommend to give such an option! (decensor/unlock true arts!)

This really needs to be replied to! Please, Zen!

Quote Originally Posted by LeanderL View Post
    This really needs to be replied to! Please, Zen!
    I found this link in the Pinball Arcade Forum: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...r-esrb-rating/

We are referred to as a vocal minority and basically all future tables will be censored.
    The whole situation is ridiculous, frustrating and paradox.Everyone is striving to recreate and in a way preserve those classic tables and experiences and then the whole thing gets shot in the foot with this censorship nonsense.
    As said before i own all of Zen tables(and all TPA tables) and i would have loved to support the upcoming Zen Williams tables but not like this.The least Zen could do is change their sales model and release the Williams tables in single packs so one can choose which tables to boycott and which not.

Quote Originally Posted by ALH2012 View Post
    I found this link in the Pinball Arcade Forum: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...r-esrb-rating/

We are referred to as a vocal minority and basically all future tables will be censored.
    The whole situation is ridiculous, frustrating and paradox.Everyone is striving to recreate and in a way preserve those classic tables and experiences and then the whole thing gets shot in the foot with this censorship nonsense.
    As said before i own all of Zen tables(and all TPA tables) and i would have loved to support the upcoming Zen Williams tables but not like this.The least Zen could do is change their sales model and release the Williams tables in single packs so one can choose which tables to boycott and which not.
    First of all, I get your point about censorship.
    But looking at the whole picture it's very simple.

Zen makes virtual pinball tables, they happen to be not an exact copy of the originals but a little bit altered. (they're still good and fun to play)
    You, the customer, has two options:

- Like what you get and buy

or

- Don't like what you get and don't buy

It's that simple. Zen is makes these tables the way they want to, and that may not be the way you like it. That's just too bad for you. But nobody forces you to buy.
    You can just leave them if you don't like them.

My 2 cents, I dont really care what they to to the looks of the tables as long as I can still get the great gameplay. I dont want it to be changed however to make the table play different or what was intended. Champions Pub is one of the few tables I liked on TPA and I want it as faithful as possible.

So far I really like what Zen has done with the 4 tables available and they have made them more fun then what I experienced on TPA. I will continue to buy all their tables and enjoy them far more then TPA!!

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Thanks for the link and now we actually have a good explanation on the edits.

Kirk noted that Zen Studios has been penalized for inadvertently crossing the ESRB in the past. Last year, the studio's Infinite Minigolf was removed from digital storefronts after some inappropriate placeholder artwork accidentally made its way into the VR version of the game. The ESRB raised the game's rating to a T, requiring it to be altered and resubmitted to the ESRB before it could go back on sale at the original E rating.
    Yikes! That will explain why they are being extra cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by GruffMckenzie View Post
    Anyone played this on the xbox?
    E3 rating.

has bikinis and a scantily clad women swinging through the jungle.
    Actually, it's rated E-10, while PFX3 is only rated E. And that's where the problem lies. E-10 allows the above, while the E rating doesn't.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/za...ot:overviewtab

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    Actually, it's rated E-10, while PFX3 is only rated E. And that's where the problem lies. E-10 allows the above, while the E rating doesn't.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/za...ot:overviewtab
    fair enough on the correction, but that is where the problem lies.

That a woman in a bikini needs a rating (and not really one that is posing for sexual titillation) is clearly a problem.

It's up to Zen to decided what rating they want I guess, but i think it's fair to question why it needs to be lower than an E10!

I love what Zen do, this does irritate a little though. I'm not even an out and out purist; it doesn't affect my game. But the fact that it happens seems so unnecessary.