X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeanderL
    Pinball Wizard
    • May 2013

Zen, please explain!

Please take a minute and explain! It is highly important to the community.

1) Why are the tables censored but The Walking Dead or Doom are ok?

2) Would it be possible to change the age rating for a DLC OR can we get an additional DLC that unlocks the normal version the Williams pack?

3) What can we expect in the future? Will all upcoming Williams tables be censored? What can be done not to censor them?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/leander_at/
  • Klopzi
    Pinball Fan
    • Jan 2011

From https://www.pinballfx.com/?page_id=7989:

Zen Studios is very aware that certain tables, such as Medieval Madness, have content that cannot be included in an E10+ rated game. At this time we are running the Family Mode version directly from the ROM on consoles, Windows 10 and Mac. Zen is not censoring the game any differently from what Family Mode includes. On Steam, the game is not running Family Mode; however, this can be turned on in the game settings if so desired.

This is a complicated issue with varying ideas and opinions, and it directly intersects huge stakeholders including legal, business, product and community. Zen’s first obligation is to provide age-appropriate content within the game’s rating.

We hear from both sides – those who do not want Family Mode to be the only option in the game and those who appreciate Family Mode, and we will work to find the right balance for this situation.
    Husband. Father. Gamer.

Comment

• ALH2012
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by LeanderL
      Please take a minute and explain! It is highly important to the community.

1) Why are the tables censored but The Walking Dead or Doom are ok?

2) Would it be possible to change the age rating for a DLC OR can we get an additional DLC that unlocks the normal version the Williams pack?

3) What can we expect in the future? Will all upcoming Williams tables be censored? What can be done not to censor them?
      I hear ya.The current censorship situation is unacceptable.We've also been talking about it in this thread: https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthr...ate-censorship

Comment

• Roli
        • Oct 2018

I really would like or recommend to give such an option! (decensor/unlock true arts!)

Comment

• LeanderL
          Pinball Wizard
          • May 2013

This really needs to be replied to! Please, Zen!
          http://steamcommunity.com/id/leander_at/

Comment

• ALH2012
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by LeanderL
            This really needs to be replied to! Please, Zen!
            I found this link in the Pinball Arcade Forum: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...r-esrb-rating/

We are referred to as a vocal minority and basically all future tables will be censored.
            The whole situation is ridiculous, frustrating and paradox.Everyone is striving to recreate and in a way preserve those classic tables and experiences and then the whole thing gets shot in the foot with this censorship nonsense.
            As said before i own all of Zen tables(and all TPA tables) and i would have loved to support the upcoming Zen Williams tables but not like this.The least Zen could do is change their sales model and release the Williams tables in single packs so one can choose which tables to boycott and which not.

Comment

• M!chel
              • Sep 2018

Originally posted by ALH2012
              I found this link in the Pinball Arcade Forum: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...r-esrb-rating/

We are referred to as a vocal minority and basically all future tables will be censored.
              The whole situation is ridiculous, frustrating and paradox.Everyone is striving to recreate and in a way preserve those classic tables and experiences and then the whole thing gets shot in the foot with this censorship nonsense.
              As said before i own all of Zen tables(and all TPA tables) and i would have loved to support the upcoming Zen Williams tables but not like this.The least Zen could do is change their sales model and release the Williams tables in single packs so one can choose which tables to boycott and which not.
              First of all, I get your point about censorship.
              But looking at the whole picture it's very simple.

Zen makes virtual pinball tables, they happen to be not an exact copy of the originals but a little bit altered. (they're still good and fun to play)
              You, the customer, has two options:

- Like what you get and buy

or

- Don't like what you get and don't buy

It's that simple. Zen is makes these tables the way they want to, and that may not be the way you like it. That's just too bad for you. But nobody forces you to buy.
              You can just leave them if you don't like them.

Comment

• ALH2012
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by M!chel
                First of all, I get your point about censorship.
                But looking at the whole picture it's very simple.

Zen makes virtual pinball tables, they happen to be not an exact copy of the originals but a little bit altered. (they're still good and fun to play)
                You, the customer, has two options:

- Like what you get and buy

or

- Don't like what you get and don't buy

It's that simple. Zen is makes these tables the way they want to, and that may not be the way you like it. That's just too bad for you. But nobody forces you to buy.
                You can just leave them if you don't like them.
                Absolutely.If the customers don't care about censorship or truthful recreation of the tables and if Zen doesn't care it is anyone's prerogative to say yes or no.I'm not holding it against anyone or Zen for not caring about censorship but i do care and i find the current situation unacceptable.Hence my gain or loss.I'm glad i still have the unfiltered TPA tables and the show must go on.Zen doesn't have my benefit of the doubt anymore.I am disappointed.

Comment

• McLovin
                  Marketing Manager
                  • Apr 2017

Hi everyone,

Doom and The Walking Dead fall under our descriptors of Fantasy Violence and Mild Language, while some themes in these tables would require 'Alcohol and Tobacco Reference' and 'Suggestive Themes' which we don't have listed for Pinball FX3.

There are internal talks about what could be a good option here, when we have news on this we'll try to inform everyone.

Comment

• tfhfony
                    Pinball Wizard
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by McLovin
                    Hi everyone,

Doom and The Walking Dead fall under our descriptors of Fantasy Violence and Mild Language, while some themes in these tables would require 'Alcohol and Tobacco Reference' and 'Suggestive Themes' which we don't have listed for Pinball FX3.

There are internal talks about what could be a good option here, when we have news on this we'll try to inform everyone.
                    Looking at Mel's comments on Annandtech, I tink we're in for a long wait...
                    https://www.arnauddeklerk.com <- Find out more about me!
                    https://www.file-hunter.com <- Play Amiga & MSX Pinball games online

Comment

• snoopy
                      • Oct 2018

they just want to save us all from rampant Pinball filth this censoring is so pathetic,it`s almost funny.

Comment

• steven120566
                        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by snoopy
                        they just want to save us all from rampant Pinball filth this censoring is so pathetic,it`s almost funny.
                        When it comes to something like this, again I must be in the minority. Whether you call it "family" mode or a way to conform to a rating, what does audio/visual content matter as long as it works well with the overall theme? I love Gorgar for example but frankly, find it a bit creepy and offensive. But nobody is making me buy Gorgar or play Gorgar. Same with Elvira, offensive to me, but not so much the pinball as the character who, to me, was offensive before she was ever a pinball theme lol.

I guess given that, I would speak out in favor of a switchable family mode with exact original content present. I may be the only person who would turn family mode on though. But then everyone would be happy If there was a switchable family mode with the original table, it should be part of the recreation. If there was not one, why add the censorship? My 2 cents.
                        Last edited by steven120566; 10-17-2018, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• snoopy
                          • Oct 2018

Originally posted by steven120566
                          When it comes to something like this, again I must be in the minority. Whether you call it "family" mode or a way to conform to a rating, what does audio/visual content matter as long as it works well with the overall theme? I love Gorgar for example but frankly, find it a bit creepy and offensive. But nobody is making me buy Gorgar or play Gorgar. Same with Elvira, offensive to me, but not so much the pinball as the character who, to me, was offensive before she was ever a pinball theme lol.

I guess given that, I would speak out in favor of a switchable family mode with exact original content present. I may be the only person who would turn family mode on though. But then everyone would be happy If there was a switchable family mode with the original table, it should be part of the recreation. If there was not one, why add the censorship? My 2 cents.
                          i do agree with a Family/Adult mode toggle,best of both Worlds. Im just not a Fan of censoring by Game Companies or Organisations, that Choice should be left to their Parents .
                          Last edited by snoopy; 10-17-2018, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Brianvgplayer
                            • Feb 2012

I found Mel Kirk's comments to be insensitive and insulting. The so called "vocal minority" is the main audience for these tables. Going as far as removing features from a table like a mini game is going too far (not to mention Champion Pub is already in a somewhat unfinished state, as is).

Comment

• Tech101
                              • Jan 2012

My 2 cents, I dont really care what they to to the looks of the tables as long as I can still get the great gameplay. I dont want it to be changed however to make the table play different or what was intended. Champions Pub is one of the few tables I liked on TPA and I want it as faithful as possible.

So far I really like what Zen has done with the 4 tables available and they have made them more fun then what I experienced on TPA. I will continue to buy all their tables and enjoy them far more then TPA!!
                              Proud member of the Hyna Gang! Keeping pinball alive on the Wii U!

Comment

Working...