X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swprozee1
    • Mar 2010

Williams tables sticky/slow flippers ?

Hi there,

I really dislike how slow the flippers react in the Williams tables. Why is there a delay before the flipper reacts and why can I not use the flipper faster by pressing the button faster ?
    All the older tables that I have don't have this issue and those are much more fun to play.

The slow flipper reaction on the new tables really ruin the game for me to be honest.

Please fix this !
  • swprozee1
    • Mar 2010

No answer from Zen studios yet.

Well I just played Battle of Mimban and it also has the sticky/slow flipper response. This is horrible to play with and I will not purchase any new tables untill there is a fix for it as I have absolutely no fun playing pinball with a delay in flipper response.

Back to playing Zen Pinball for the PS3.

Comment

• Cornholio
      Banned
      • Feb 2017

Yep have noticed this too. I can confirm it's only on the new Williams tables. Other tables are normal.

Using a PS4.

EDIT: I've posted this in the 'post all bugs here' thread.
      Last edited by Cornholio; 11-08-2018, 01:39 AM.

Comment

• swprozee1
        • Mar 2010

Yeah I saw more people complaining about it as well. (also Steam PC like me)

Just to let you know that I do have this in the new Star Wars tables as well. (Solo pack)

Comment

• zaphod77
          Pinball Wizard
          • Mar 2012

i'm managing fine on pc steam

i had to use nvidia control panel to force max prerendered frames to 1, and disable vsync, but it does work for me.

Comment

• shogun00
            Pinball Wizard
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Cornholio
            Yep have noticed this too. I can confirm it's only on the new Williams tables. Other tables are normal.

Using a PS4.
            I haven't notice this at all on my PS4.

It's possible that your TV is having trouble keeping up with the processing.

And before you say, "but the other Zen tables don't do this; just the Williams tables." Keep in mind, that several additional new features have been added to the Williams tables that aren't used in Zen's original designed tables. This includes (but not limited to) duel imaging (for the effects and non-effects toogle), ROM emulation, and a new physics engine.

These new features may be pushing some of your TV enhancement features to their limits, which will create a slowdown. Try switching your picture setting to PC or Game Mode on your TV. This mode will turn off certain enhancers that aren't designed for video games and free up some much needed processing power on your TV.
            Last edited by shogun00; 11-10-2018, 04:17 AM.

Comment

• zaphod77
              Pinball Wizard
              • Mar 2012

when some things lag and some do not at the same resolution, generally it's because of a slow surround sound decoder in the TV.

i ran into this once with bionic command re-armed 2. it had a good half second extra lag because it used dolby digital if the hdmi cable supported it. i had to disable surround in the console settings to fix it.

Comment

• Cornholio
                Banned
                • Feb 2017

Thanks all. I'll try those tweeks or it's time for a new TV...

Comment

• dave950lam
                  Pinhead
                  • Nov 2012

I've brought this up a year-or-so ago. The flippers' slow recoil really penalizes those who like to keep a flipper up when the ball bounces in the slingshots. Or just making a guard when the ball comes down.

Comment

• Cornholio
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2017

Originally posted by shogun00

And before you say, "but the other Zen tables don't do this; just the Williams tables." Keep in mind, that several additional new features have been added to the Williams tables that aren't used in Zen's original designed tables. This includes (but not limited to) duel imaging (for the effects and non-effects toogle), ROM emulation, and a new physics engine.

These new features may be pushing some of your TV enhancement features to their limits, which will create a slowdown. Try switching your picture setting to PC or Game Mode on your TV. This mode will turn off certain enhancers that aren't designed for video games and free up some much needed processing power on your TV.
                    Originally posted by zaphod77
                    when some things lag and some do not at the same resolution, generally it's because of a slow surround sound decoder in the TV.

i ran into this once with bionic command re-armed 2. it had a good half second extra lag because it used dolby digital if the hdmi cable supported it. i had to disable surround in the console settings to fix it.
                    I thought about what you said so I thought why not take the tv out of the equation. So I put on my psvr and played the williams tables through the headset in cinema mode.

Lag is still there. I'm running a first gen PSVR on a ps4 Pro. If it's a resource issue in the tv, shouldn't this bypass any of
                    those issues?

Also changed sound out from hdmi to optical out. Plugged in an optical cable from ps4 straight to amp, bypassing anything to do with a tv. This made no difference.

Comment

• janduin68
                      • Dec 2017

THis has worked for me. Noticed lag on TPA for PS3/PS4 as well but switching to PC solved it. Samsung TV.
                      psn: janduin68

Comment

• joyrider3774
                        Pinhead
                        • Jan 2011

I thought about what you said so I thought why not take the tv out of the equation. So I put on my psvr and played the williams tables through the headset in cinema mode.

Lag is still there. I'm running a first gen PSVR on a ps4 Pro. If it's a resource issue in the tv, shouldn't this bypass any of
                        those issues?

Also changed sound out from hdmi to optical out. Plugged in an optical cable from ps4 straight to amp, bypassing anything to do with a tv. This made no difference.
                        how about hooking up a (decent) pc monitor with hdmi input shouldn't this be better also

i'm not sure if the psvr itselve could introduce lag ...

Comment

• shogun00
                          Pinball Wizard
                          • Feb 2011

Lag is still there. I'm running a first gen PSVR on a ps4 Pro. If it's a resource issue in the tv, shouldn't this bypass any of those issues?
                          Are you using Boost Mode on your PS4 Pro?

Comment

• swprozee1
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by zaphod77
                            i'm managing fine on pc steam

i had to use nvidia control panel to force max prerendered frames to 1, and disable vsync, but it does work for me.
                            zaphod77, you really helped me here as I no longer have the flipper delay.
                            The setting "max prerendered frames to 1" in nvidia control panel was the magic setting for me.

Comment

• Cornholio
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2017

Are you using Boost Mode on your PS4 Pro?
                              I'm gonna have to look that up in the online ps4 manual. I've never heard of boost mode. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...